Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? (10646 Views)

Things You Hate To See On Nairaland / A Lil Bit Of Racism And Hate / How Do You Know A Man That Really Loves You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by igbo2011(m): 2:18am On Jun 24, 2012
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600155_10150877802558994_1941261420_n.jpg

Why do we treat the foreigners who are exploiting us better than our own people? No wonder why everyone in the world treats us badly. We dn't even treat ourselves well!!

10 Likes

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Nobody: 2:21am On Jun 24, 2012
Slavery, colonization, and b1tchazzness.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by igbo2011(m): 2:11am On Jun 25, 2012
shymmex: Slavery, colonization, and b1tchazzness.

What is a way that we can reverse this?

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by inspirenet: 9:52am On Jun 25, 2012
smiley
Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by DidierKing: 1:02pm On Jun 25, 2012
Ignorance I believe.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Classicalman(m): 1:04pm On Jun 25, 2012
Mr shytmex at it again;>

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by AjanleKoko: 1:06pm On Jun 25, 2012
igbo2011:

African parents should teach their kids self-respect, and also how to respect others, no matter how different they look from their own people.
People should stop all the sweeping comments like 'awon ibo', 'Yoruba', 'malla' etc. These groups of people are all human beings.
We are people first, and anything else secondary. That's how I live my life, I treat everyone the same, and respect the choices of others, while not letting their choices directly influence mine.

There is a lot Hausas, Igbos, and Yorubas can learn from each other to make Nigeria great. If we get it right, other Africans will copy us. We are almost a quarter of the entire continent.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jun 25, 2012
igbo2011:

Brother, knowledge of self is the most important thing...

Our REAL history and all the great achievements of our erudite and great ancestors need to be in the school curriculum..

We are a great race of people, and we built great civilizations before the 'foreigners' left the caves for the new world..

It's just a pity that our history and achievements have been erased from the history books - but truth crushed to earth will rise again stronger than ever.

Ashe! cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jun 25, 2012
Classicalman: Mr shytmex at it again;>

I know you dream about me everyday he/she.. grin
Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jun 25, 2012
Very true...I know fit shout!!
Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jun 25, 2012
When we stop judging people based on the size of their pockets, we'll start treating ourselves with respect. Many Nigerians have no patience for people of smaller means, and that's where the major problem lies.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 25, 2012
When the christian bible said, money is the root of all evil, I bet it was talking to Nigerians undecided
Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Arosa(m): 1:17pm On Jun 25, 2012
Question: Why Do Africans Love Foreigners And Hate Their Own People?
Answer: It's because of low self esteem.

*next question!*

3 Likes

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by tinkinfela(m): 1:19pm On Jun 25, 2012
This is very true!

I remember when I was planning to go to Nigeria with my gf in 2010 and her nmom was very skeptical about the trip.
Fortunately for her, her friend's son was in Nigeria for work trip (he was working for telia i think). They started showing us the pictures from the trip.. you need to see how this guy was treated, mopol with him 24/7, convoy etc...and w're talking about a 23 year old with just high school degree..
Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jun 25, 2012
Solutions:

- Teach them we all came from the same people...
- Teach them we're not inferior to the 'foreigners' - educate them that we're enslaved and colonized because we were tired after fighting so many wars against invaders..
- Educate them that bowing down to foreign gods subconsciously makes them inferior to foreigners..

Quotes from great Africans to buttress my points:

"The most disastrous aspect of colonization which you are the most relunctant to release from your mind is their colonization of the image of God." -
Dr. Frances Cress-Welsing

"Black Consciousness is in essence the realization by the black man of the need to rally together with his brothers around the cause of their operation - the blackness of their skin - and to operate as a group in order to rid themselves of the shackles that bind them to perpetual servitude." - Steve Biko

"One is fully conscious when he or she is the results of having been informed and instructed by the experience of his or her ancestors and use that knowledge to master, understand and become able to create institutions that allow him or her to live in harmony with the rest of nature and the universe." -
Professor James Small

"God created black people and black people created style." - George C. Wolfe

"When you control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his actions. You do not have to tell him not to stand here or go yonder. He will find his 'proper place' and will stay in it. You do not need to send him to the back door. He will go without being told. In fact, if there is no back door, he will cut one for his special benefit. His education makes it necessary" - Carter G. Woodson

"Look at you....chasing your tail....running after the dollar bill as if it's going to solve your problems personally or collectively as a people. 'Black America' is in the top 10 list of richest nations in the world. Still....look at us. Disrespected, mistreated and down trodden to say the least. Why? Because we don't study our past and present to create a better future with our resources. We have to study our history....It's mandatory." - Lloyd "Amen-Ra" Spivey

"History is a clock people use to tell their historical culture and political time of the day. It's a compass that people use to find themselves on the map of human geography. The history tells them where they have been, where they are and what they are. But most importantly history tells a people where they still must go and what they still must be" - Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"When you deal with the past, you're dealing with history, you're dealing actually with the origin of a thing. When you know the origin, you know the cause It's impossible for you and me to have a balanced mind in this society without going into the past, because in this particular society, as we function and fit into it right now, we're such an underdog, we're trampled upon, we're looked upon as almost nothing. Now if we don't go into the past and find out how we got this way, we will think that we were always this way. And if you think that you were always in the condition that you're in right now, it's impossible for you to have too much confidence in yourself, you become worthless, almost nothing. But when you go back into the past and find out where you once were, then you will know that you once had attained a higher level, had made great achievements, contributions to society, civilization, science, and so forth. And you know that if you once did it you can do it again; you automatically get the incentive, the inspiration and the energy necessary to duplicate what our forefathers did."
Malcolm X

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by kadman(m): 1:27pm On Jun 25, 2012
[b][/b]

He He.. I swear this answers all !!

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by room702(m): 1:29pm On Jun 25, 2012
spot on!

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by emmyitodo: 1:30pm On Jun 25, 2012
seems we r stuck in reverse

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jun 25, 2012
shymmex: - Educate them that bowing down to foreign gods subconsciously makes them inferior to foreigners..

You are fetching water with a basket. They will NEVER agree to this statement.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Skywalker5(m): 1:32pm On Jun 25, 2012
igbo2011: http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600155_10150877802558994_1941261420_n.jpg

Why do we treat the foreigners who are exploiting us better than our own people? No wonder why everyone in the world treats us badly. We dn't even treat ourselves well!!

Your Pictures just not justify your post.

Those guys being rough handled might be criminals or people trying to start a riot (from what i can observed from the pic)

The other pictures is just an oil rig worker who took pictures with Nigerians. (how is that a problem)
and for the police who held umbrella, it's very possible he has paid his oga to use the police officer as errand boy.
The thing the police officers are doing is the same thing they will do to any politicians or anyone that drops money for them

Blame corruption not this police officers. your post has nothing to do with the pictures at all

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Smallville4live(m): 1:50pm On Jun 25, 2012
Check at the quality of the two movie industry. Both have their ad and disad. But I still prefer Hollywood movies. Nigeria movies is something else now. I only enjoy the comedy aspect. Actors like Ibu, Sam Loco. Etc
Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Afam4eva(m): 2:04pm On Jun 25, 2012
Africans were colonized to hate and spit on each other.

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by queensmith: 2:08pm On Jun 25, 2012
where does one even start?
Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jun 25, 2012
Inferiority complex

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by SpiritofOkija(m): 2:17pm On Jun 25, 2012
Low Self esteem brought about by Slavery, Colonization, Westernization, Poverty, low self-esteem and an acute case of Inferiority complex.. This is further beaten into our psyche by Religion..

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by gator666: 2:19pm On Jun 25, 2012
Why do (some) Africans say sometimes "You are an expat, you can figure this out" when we are facing some difficult problem?
Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by kaiter: 2:20pm On Jun 25, 2012
There is a lot Hausas, Igbos, and Yorubas can learn from each other to make Nigeria great. If we get it right, other Africans will copy us. We are almost a quarter of the entire continent.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by harper7: 2:31pm On Jun 25, 2012
The color of ones skin should never determine the persons worth.
see www.nigerianewsnetwork.com for flight schedules.
Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by DExplorer1: 2:41pm On Jun 25, 2012
Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by drzed: 2:45pm On Jun 25, 2012
AjanleKoko:

African parents should teach their kids self-respect, and also how to respect others, no matter how different they look from their own people.
People should stop all the sweeping comments like 'awon ibo', 'Yoruba', 'malla' etc. These groups of people are all human beings.
We are people first, and anything else secondary. That's how I live my life, I treat everyone the same, and respect the choices of others, while not letting their choices directly influence mine.

There is a lot Hausas, Igbos, and Yorubas can learn from each other to make Nigeria great. If we get it right, other Africans will copy us. We are almost a quarter of the entire continent.

True talk.

Kids are born innocent. It is their parents, relatives, friends or immediate society that turns them into bigots.

For those of us above 35, there is not much hope because many of us have imbibed intolerance (passively or actively) into our daily lives. A typical Nairaland thread about politics is a good example of this intolerance. Although with discipline, it is possible to wean such bigotry out, but most people wont bother because they confuse bigotry with power or superiority.

A better future in my opinion, lies in our children and how we bring them up.

As a proud early-90s alumni of a federal government college, I can tell you that up till my SS3, I saw all my school mates as equals. I learnt a lot about their culture because we all came from different parts of Nigeria. Some swallowed their eba while others chewed it. We all shared the same hostels, ate the same type of food, cut the same grass and dodged the same bullying seniors - all at the same time. We had a spirit of togetherness. Till today, my FGC days contain the most treasured moments in my entire life.

Although, I thank God that I was brought up untribalised and I am still like that today, I know that I started 'noticing' or paying attention to other people's tribe and religion in my university days, particularly during the June 12 crisis when our so-called leaders polarised Nigeria at the very point when she was about to attain democratic greatness.

So back to the question of why Africans love foreigners and hate their own people? The answer in my opinion is because:

1. We Africans (especially Nigerians) generally tend to have either inferiority or superiority complex and so, attacking or hating a fellow African gives us a sense of relevance and power.

2. We Africans are generally crude socially in how we perceive human beings and human life. You can tell by the way most civil wars have been fought in Africa.

3. We Nigerians in particular can be accommodating (and even respectful) to foreigners but we lack basic empathy towards the welfare of our next door neighbours. A good example is the Nigerian phenomenon behind 'I pass my neighbour'. This mentality can be found in ownership of generator sets or cars, or house, or job, or educational qualifications...etc.

4. The feudal (I pass my neighbour) mentality is more pronounced among our poor people who ought to be united (or at least more understanding of) the poverty which they are all trying to emerge from. In other words, many poor Africans believe I am rich, as long as my neighbour is poorer than me, and thats why our people can go to ALL lengths to bring down someone who is doing better than them.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by scud(m): 2:47pm On Jun 25, 2012
Because the bible says so. God said I will set an egyptian against an egyptian!
Re: Why Do African Loves Foreigners And Hate Their Own People? by AtheistD(m): 3:01pm On Jun 25, 2012
scud: Because the bible says so. God said I will set an egyptian against an egyptian!

We are not Egyptian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Are Your Bad Habits? / Yes, I'm The Girl On Nairaland Finer Than Your Girlfriend! ( Pics) / Photos: Handsome Man Turns Into Old Woman After Sex Change Surgery Went Wrong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.