Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree (9536 Views)

Students Lie-Down To Receive Lessons In A Ghanaian School (snapshot) / Ufot Ekong Solves 30-Year-Old Math Equation In Japan And Breaks Academic Record (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Patsey: 9:18am On Jun 30, 2012
I met this Nigerian who studied at the University of Manila (Philippines). He told me he graduated from the University of Manitoba (Canada).

Uhmn! Manila - Manitoba. Sounds and spells somewhat similar. But, for God's sake, Philippines is nowhere near Canada. So, how did I know he's a product of the University of Manila and not Manitoba?

Due to inconsistencies in his claims and the persistence use of: 'I don't do anything dodgy', 'I have nothing to hide' (sentences which, in criminology, are considered to be frequently used by criminals to conceal their acts), I Googled him! And, alas, his dissertation which contains his full name and year of birth was found to be in an online repository!

Without divulging my discovery to him, I chatted him up and we talked about dissertation experiences. In the course of the conversation, he talked extensively about this dissertation. It was precisely the one I found online.

So, why would someone graduate from the University of Tanzania (if there is any such uni in East Africa) and claim to have graduated from the University of Tasmania (Australia)? No wonder, upon returning home to Nigeria, according to him, he never secured any meaningful jobs.

Who, in Nigeria, would abandon UNILAG, OAU, UNN graduates to employ University of Manila graduate? The day I get fed up of his 'I don't do anything dodgy', 'I have nothing to hide', I might as well ask him to explain how his degree from the University of Manila (in the Philippines) metamorphosed into a degree from the University of Manitoba! lol.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by yamunla(m): 8:41pm On Jul 05, 2012
Na me lie this kind lie pass..especially to kpekus..May God forgive you..Yamunla..!amen
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Nwoka(m): 8:41pm On Jul 05, 2012
cheesy a girl once told me she studied law at rivers state university of science and tech.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 05, 2012
Nigerian syndrome..
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by palabest: 8:49pm On Jul 05, 2012
Nwoka: cheesy a girl once told me she studied law at rivers state university of science and tech.

And what was the lie about that? You obviously are the one not well informed about RSUST having a law faculty. Duh.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by yamunla(m): 8:54pm On Jul 05, 2012
Nwoka: cheesy a girl once told me she studied law at rivers state university of science and tech.
LMAO...u sef for tell her say u dey study banking and finance for FUTminna..!make the equation just balance..

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 05, 2012
Don't knw hw to upload it properly

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by segzicres(m): 9:03pm On Jul 05, 2012
Looool. I had to lie 1ce. Sef when I over. Heard. D convo of d. Ogas.......I. Finished 4rm. YCT. Buh. Had to. Lie. Data. I. Finished 4rm unilag (˘̩̩_˘̩̩̩ƪ) it. Got me. D job. Tho
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by palabest: 9:07pm On Jul 05, 2012
yamunla: LMAO...u sef for tell her say u dey study banking and finance for FUTminna..!make the equation just balance..

Always check ur facts. RSUST has a Faculty of Law. With people like these who think from their rear ends, no wonder Naija is not moving forward.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by yamunla(m): 9:10pm On Jul 05, 2012
[quote author=palabest]

Always check ur facts. RSUST has a Faculty of Law. With people like these who think from their rear ends, no wonder Naija is not moving forward.[/quote come oga,why u dey quote me? Na me talk am?]
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by polokor60(m): 9:26pm On Jul 05, 2012
una too like to dey yab nigeria girls for any reason,true true the girl na law student why u come being mumu of the highest order.olodo rapatta embarassed
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by lafuria1(m): 9:29pm On Jul 05, 2012
is law a science and tech course? If d uni has a faculty of law in a sch named science and tech, dats fyn but nt nrml. Just like sayin one did bizadmin in FUT.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 05, 2012
There is a word called Lie in English....what can anyone lie better on. Infact, our parents even lie that they take first position always. have you seen any parents that confessed to taking 2nd position in "school" ? (academic pedigree), so you see, your answer is right here. People lie about their academic pedigree, because we learn from our parents.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by deshclones(m): 9:47pm On Jul 05, 2012
shymmex: Nigerian syndrome..

just like this bloated abandoned niggah....hood rat eking out a living on the streets of aberdeen claiming London based...dude that cannot even afford air ticket to visit home...always venting out his frustrations on NL...nigerian syndrome indeed.....wanimal.. angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by GboyegaD(m): 9:51pm On Jul 05, 2012
I think it is because people do not know their worth and are not confident in their schools and what they have learnt. I have heard so many of such like: People studying accounting and some studying Architecture in University of Ibadan etc.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Sylverbox(m): 10:56pm On Jul 05, 2012
Dats Y I neva judge any1 based on whre he or she claims 2 hav been 2, schooled or lived...all that matters is what U knw n what u can do wt ur brains n hands! Finish!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by mrkels(m): 11:00pm On Jul 05, 2012
emmysenior: Don't knw hw to upload it properly
lemme help you, even though it doesn't relate to the topic

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by micklplus(m): 2:28am On Jul 06, 2012
la furia: is law a science and tech course? If d uni has a faculty of law in a sch named science and tech, dats fyn but nt nrml. Just like sayin one did bizadmin in FUT.

These schools used to concentrate on their fields alone but, they have changed somethings. E.g FUTO runs Diploma in Business Management in the Department of Project Mgt Technology. LAUtech runs MBA in Financial Management e.t.c

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by sheringan(f): 3:04am On Jul 06, 2012
Billyonaire: There is a word called Lie in English....what can anyone lie better on. Infact, our parents even lie that they take first position always. have you seen any parents that confessed to taking 2nd position in "school" ? (academic pedigree), so you see, your answer is right here. People lie about their academic pedigree, because we learn from our parents.

That's what ur learnt from ur own parent bah ? Not "we"
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Burrito(f): 3:34am On Jul 06, 2012
la furia: is law a science and tech course? If d uni has a faculty of law in a sch named science and tech, dats fyn but nt nrml. Just like sayin one did bizadmin in FUT.
Massachusetts Institute of TECHNOLOGY has a business school, nothing abnormal about such.
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Okukk(m): 5:38am On Jul 06, 2012
For so many reasons people want to lie.....na wahoo
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Richy4(m): 6:06am On Jul 06, 2012
she might be right.where I graduated from ie the prestigious Enugu State University of Science and Technology. it has law faculty.however Engineering courses dominated the school.All you need is a back ground check about the school.she might be telling the truth.
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by freakcin: 7:15am On Jul 06, 2012

You can study Law in RSUST. FACT!!!
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by mhsanni(f): 7:15am On Jul 06, 2012
Patsey: I met this Nigerian who studied at the University of Manila (Philippines). He told me he graduated from the University of Manitoba (Canada).

Uhmn! Manila - Manitoba. Sounds and spells somewhat similar. But, for God's sake, Philippines is nowhere near Canada. So, how did I know he's a product of the University of Manila and not Manitoba?

Due to inconsistencies in his claims and the persistence use of: 'I don't do anything dodgy', 'I have nothing to hide' (sentences which, in criminology, are considered to be frequently used by criminals to conceal their acts), I Googled him! And, alas, his dissertation which contains his full name and year of birth was found to be in an online repository!

Without divulging my discovery to him, I chatted him up and we talked about dissertation experiences. In the course of the conversation, he talked extensively about this dissertation. It was precisely the one I found online.

So, why would someone graduate from the University of Tanzania (if there is any such uni in East Africa) and claim to have graduated from the University of Tasmania (Australia)? No wonder, upon returning home to Nigeria, according to him, he never secured any meaningful jobs.

Who, in Nigeria, would abandon UNILAG, OAU, UNN graduates to employ University of Manila graduate? The day I get fed up of his 'I don't do anything dodgy', 'I have nothing to hide', I might as well ask him to explain how his degree from the University of Manila (in the Philippines) metamorphosed into a degree from the University of Manitoba! lol.

sometyms pple hear wat dey wanna hear.....manytimes hv had to corrct pple am in Ahfad univ (wrongly pronounced Hafad) and not Havard.... despite d fact dat its in sudan.... sometyms wen names sound alike pple rada stick to d one dey r familiar wiv n u myt nt hv d chance correctn everyone.
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Sanguine77(m): 7:42am On Jul 06, 2012
Nigerians and their love for certificates, pedigress and titles. The truth is if you lie about your academic qualifications or stuffs like that, certainly, the truth will blossom like the rising sun.
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Nobody: 8:05am On Jul 06, 2012
The guy nak me tori say e be student of Abia State University... Meanyle me no know say e mean say e be student of Osisikankwu University of Kidnap and Rape Technology, Ngwayeikwe, Abia State... grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by hannydarl(f): 8:38am On Jul 06, 2012
My brother studied law in Rivers state university of scienCe and tech. So did many others. See how you don drag thE poor girl name for potoPoto cos of ignorance.
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 06, 2012
mhsanni:

sometyms pple hear wat dey wanna hear.....manytimes hv had to corrct pple am in Ahfad univ (wrongly pronounced Hafad) and not Havard.... despite d fact dat its in sudan.... sometyms wen names sound alike pple rada stick to d one dey r familiar wiv n u myt nt hv d chance correctn everyone.
Lmaaaaaaaoooooooooooooo uv killed me with laugh 2day grin
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by okwanuzo3(f): 10:37am On Jul 06, 2012
Rivers State University of Science and Technology offers law and management courses.
Easy to find out if you just ask.
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by plantation(m): 10:37am On Jul 06, 2012
you've only succeeded in advertising ur ignorance. I know u must be regretting ur post by now.
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Googler(m): 11:01am On Jul 06, 2012
plantation: you've only succeeded in advertising ur ignorance. I know u must be regretting ur post by now.
NL is full of such people. When you write something they jump at it to make a "correction", only to end up advertising their own ignorance.

This one's brother even said it's not "normal" for a tech uni to run law courses!
Re: Why Do People Lie About Their Academic Pedigree by Beowulf(m): 11:10am On Jul 06, 2012
mhsanni:

You are bang on point! I keep trying to correct people that I went to Columbia not Colombia. One time I told this dude I went to Columbia. Later in a different setting people were talking about drug trafficking and all that and same dude said I should know all about that since I went to University of Colombia! I have never been so upset as I was that day.

Burrito:
Massachusetts Institute of TECHNOLOGY has a business school, nothing abnormal about such.

Yea, just like LSE has a very fantastic law school despite being primarily a school of economics.

(1) (2) (Reply)

11,350 Teachers Write Professional Exams As Lagos Leads / Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack / I need financial help concerning my education.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.