Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,469 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack (9539 Views)

OPINION: Is It Right For An HOD / DEAN (as It Applies ) To / Pastor E.A Adeboye Prophesy On ASUU Strike And 2015 Election / #professor Babalola HOD Of Microbiology Oau Ile-ife (2) (3) (4)

Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by Seun(m): 10:41am On May 21, 2012
Just a week after the UNILAG Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Babatunde Sofoluwe, died of a heart attack, University of Lagos has lost a lecturer in the Department of Creative Arts, Chief E.A Bassey.

Bassey died on Saturday of stress, old age and heart attack

His death threw the institution into a fresh round of mourning, as it was still making arrangements for the burial of the late VC.

Bassey's death leaves question marks, whether an urgent need for the review of the retirement age of lecturers and civil servants in general is needed, and perhaps compulsory, regular check-ups, and a review of the medical profile of aging lecturers will also be a good idea.

Bassey had served as head of the department and senior lecturer at the department before his death.

http://www.nigerianeye.com/2012/05/fresh-mourning-in-unilag-hod-dies-of.html
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by SeunAero(m): 10:45am On May 21, 2012
Na wa oooo...wetin dey happen na!!
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by Businesstools(m): 10:47am On May 21, 2012
May his soul rest in peace.The rest of them need to be very prayerful.
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by freecocoa(f): 10:48am On May 21, 2012
RIP to him.

But honestly and seriously,these men need to take a bow from their work place when the job becomes too stressful for them,but them no go hear,they keep pursuing money which kills them faster than when supposed.

Will it be a crime to give younger people a chance to work too? See young men everywhere looking for jobs and the old ones are dying from stress of the job,ngwanu. undecided

Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by dollyptosh(m): 10:48am On May 21, 2012
Businesstools: May his soul rest in peace.The rest of them need to be very prayerful.
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by humblebee: 10:48am On May 21, 2012
RIP mr bassey

he died of "old age".. very funny
he died of heart attack not old age, old age doesn't kill..
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by Seun(m): 10:49am On May 21, 2012
freecocoa: But honestly and seriously,these men need to take a bow from their work place when the job becomes too stressful for them,but them no go hear,they keep pursuing money which kills them faster than when supposed
You want them to spend the final decades of their lives being useless, jobless and dependent on their kids? That would be awful.
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by wowo2: 10:52am On May 21, 2012
Haba...because the VC died at 62, all lectures should be retired at 62. Not necessarily any cause and effect here.
May his soul Rest in Peace.
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by xavier3g(m): 10:54am On May 21, 2012
Seun:
You want them to spend the final decades of their lives being useless, jobless and dependent on their kids? That would be awful.

what exactly does retiring at a ripe old age have to do with being useless, jobless or dependent on their kids? Plus don't forget that so many of them back-dated their ages so much that by the time the say they are 75, they are actually 90. cry cry cry
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by glimpse(f): 10:56am On May 21, 2012
rip. Bt dis shld tel odas dat retiring @ 65 is ok. B4 70 most of them may die due 2 stress. undecided
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by swisstaker(m): 11:13am On May 21, 2012
its quite a tragedy.bt seriously dis retirement age tin sef.retiring at 70?thats y dem day go like dat.want to die in service.give way for d young.dat was wat i saw at a tanksgiving service in my schooo uniport.wen it was time to dance forward to drop ur offering,na so dis proff day shake go front,he slowed d pace of d pple in d queue.wen he finally got there to comot him wallet see as his whole body was shaking,ok comot wallet drop offering na,na war.if no b wan other elderly man way carry am comot for line so im go giv pple chance.so una see my point,na dis same prof go climb stairs to reach im office for 7th floor

Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by mandsignal(m): 11:22am On May 21, 2012
Businesstools: May his soul rest in peace
'R.I.P
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by Exponental(m): 11:29am On May 21, 2012
Could he be loyal 2 Sofoluwe.....
Rest in peace baba.
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by Evans5050: 11:30am On May 21, 2012
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by moderattor: 11:41am On May 21, 2012
youths lookiing for jobs
old men teaching at 90!
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by PHIPEX(m): 11:44am On May 21, 2012
I remember a Prof in my dept then that whenever he is climbing the stairs no other person dare climbs to avoid pushing him down because he was too old yet he lectures in two schools. At a time one of my lecturers was using him as an example of the causes of youth unemployment in the country because some of them are close to 75yrs but because of their lie-lie age, they will still be claiming 60yrs.

RIP
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by hildaa(f): 11:46am On May 21, 2012
r.i.p
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by Michael13(m): 11:49am On May 21, 2012
kayusfit: Let them keep dying who cares?? It's just a tale of a dead man weeping for a dead man. Death is natural and we must all die. The fool maybe one of those "U CAN NEVER SCORE 50 IN MY COURSE MOFOS" now he's gone with all his degrees and probably his marking scripts. Laffing in boko haram
***LAUGHING IN SPANISH****
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by tanimola22: 11:50am On May 21, 2012
kayusfit: Let them keep dying who cares?? It's just a tale of a dead man weeping for a dead man. Death is natural and we must all die. The fool maybe one of those "U CAN NEVER SCORE 50 IN MY COURSE MOFOS" now he's gone with all his degrees and probably his marking scripts. Laffing in boko haram

Be mindful of what you say or assume. We have very few lecturers that fit your description at Unilag. Most lecturers there are very high achievers, and many of them also want their students to achieve highly. These are people that sit their students down and counsel them on how to do research at the highest possible level and at the best of universities in the world, and maybe come back to contribute to the low key research in Nigeria. Unfortunately most of these very best students don't even come back again.

Not every lecturer is insecure, and Unilag is a school that boasts of very few insecure lecturers, especially the old ones like this honorable professor that just lost his life. My sincere and heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, colleagues and the entire University of Lagos. May his soul rest in perfect piece, Ami.

Thank you,
T22
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by lifestyle1(m): 11:54am On May 21, 2012
Evans5050: MUST YOU WORK TILL 70 YRS BEFORE RETIREMENT?

Retirement age is [size=15pt]75[/size]lipsrsealed.

Don't let us blame the university lecturers for refusing to go home @ 60 most of them entered the system late and decide to leave the sytem late..

R.I.P!!!
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by lifestyle1(m): 12:03pm On May 21, 2012
Seun:

And what about their retirement savings ? pention ? undecided

And when do you ecpect them to rest ? or you want them to work till they die? I think this will be more awful undecided

Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by Basic(m): 12:05pm On May 21, 2012
Seun:
For the first time, I saw a post by Seun which kept me asking if he was really the one who posted it.
If your father is still alive and in his 70's would you open your eyes and see him work himself to death? By the way, if, at that age, he does not depend on you, his son, then on who else would he depend? On me?.
In addition, what is the correlation between taking necessary rests and being useless and jobless? Remember that even the government knows that, at a certain age, you're meant to retire.
Seun, your comment, to me, seems very bizarre!

Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by Odunnu: 12:07pm On May 21, 2012
People with and without employment die everyday. People with job stress and without die too. Prof Bassey is dead many more from various fields will suit. What we owe him is a befitting burial and a RIP prayer
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by niddamugu(m): 12:09pm On May 21, 2012
Yet GEJ says they should work till 70...... Work till death. angry angry angry angry
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by Tattooboy: 12:10pm On May 21, 2012
RIP
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by PHIPEX(m): 12:10pm On May 21, 2012
Seun:

"A fool at 60yrs will not be wise at 75yrs."
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by freecocoa(f): 12:17pm On May 21, 2012
Seun:
Seun did you really post this?

Anyways you've been told what you ought to know,so no need stating the obvious.
Re: Unilag HOD E. A. Bassey Dies Of Heart Attack by moyeenmorra(f): 12:37pm On May 21, 2012
HOD ke? lol...........olodo tongue

The IQ Gap Is No Longer A Black And White Issue - The Igbo Example / Jamb Will Never Penalise/cancel Any Result Over Change Of Paper Type / Abia State University 2013/2014 Post Utme/admission Update (sms Alert)