Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,984 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. (5286 Views)

Ambode Lights Up Third Mainland Bridge (photos) / See Pics: Ogun State Govt Denies That RCCG Carried Out Repairs On Lagos-ibd Rd / Photos: The Longest Banner In Nigeria Hit Third Mainland Bride (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by uncleu(m): 8:47am On Jul 01, 2012
• Motorists, Road Users Fear ‘Hard Times’

THE Federal Government may have indefinitely suspended the proposed repair work earlier scheduled to begin on the Third Mainland Bridge today, thus putting the controversy with the Lagos State officials over the matter to an abrupt but temporary end.

Lagos Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), Charles Nseobong Akpabio, yesterday disclosed in an interview with The Guardian that the postponement was intended to put more measures in place.

Akpabio said there would be an all-stakeholders’ meeting later in the week to discuss a new take-off date.

But, when The Guardian contacted the Lagos State Commissioner for Transport, Mr. Kayode Opeifa, he simply said he would not comment on the matter.

Akpabio urged all motorists in the Lagos metropolis to go about their activities and wait for further information on the bridge repair.

The FRSC had explained that traffic information would be communicated from time to time via Radio, Television, Newspapers and social media network.

The repairs on the all-important Third Mainland Bridge was earlier scheduled to commence today and to end on November 6, 2012.

The commission added that as the lead agency in traffic management in Nigeria, it had concluded plans to coordinate the various traffic agencies involved in the exercise.

He noted that Section 15 of the FRSC Act 2007 clearly stipulated that the operation of the Corps should cover all public roads, adding that the Corps statutory responsibility is to control and enforce traffic regulations on public roads “as we did during the 2008 maintenance work on the Third Mainland Bridge.”

But motorists yesterday decried what they referred to as “impending dreaded bad days for users of the Third Mainland Bridge.” A senior banker, Mr. Sunday Omoyiola said it would be “stress time for motorists and others working on the Island, as “no employer or manager would take any excuse simply because they are repairing the Third Mainland Bridge.”

According to Mr. Omoyiola, those that have businesses on the Island “will come back late and wake up very early to get to work.” Time is money and since you will waste a lot of time on the road, you there is huge economic loss,” he said.

Mr. Eugene Iyamah, Managing Director of Choice Ltd, a Lagos-based consultancy outfit, said although the measures being taken by the FRSC and other traffic agents would mitigate the negative impact motorists could face, they (the motorists) are bound to experience hard times once again.

On how he plans to adapt to the changes, Iyamah said, as a self-employed user of the route, he would simply adjust his time to avoid the “rush hour,” especially as maintaining the regular schedule would see one “ramming” into the “chaotic period.”

The retired banker, however, noted that the repair of the bridge is in the best interest of Nigerians given the strategic and socio-economic relevance of the bridge.

Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State had, last week, expressed concerns over unilateral declaration of closure of the bridge by the FRSC, contending that the control of traffic by the FRSC is only restricted to trunk roads.

“A trunk road by definition is a road that connects two states like Lagos Ibadan Expressway, that’s where the FRSC should be not within the territory of the municipality of a state but having said that, it is that encroachment of responsibility that might be responsible for the inadequate information,” Fashola explained.

However, speaking during a joint press conference in Alausa, State Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Mr. Obafemi Hamzat, his counterpart in Transport, Opeifa and Information and Strategy, Adeyemi Ibirogba, explained that there would be no closure, as earlier feared by residents, but diversion of traffic on the bridge.

Diversion on the bridge was to occur between 12 midnight and 12:00 noon.

In the morning, between 00:00am and 12:00noon, traffic will be diverted for those coming from Lagos Island to the mainland –– at Adeniji Adele, motorists are expected to divert to carter bridge and thereafter proceed to Iddo where the redistribution will take place –– while inward Lagos Island traffic diversion will commence from 12noon from Anthony-Oworonshoki inter change.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90934:repairs-on-third-mainland-bridge-postponed-indefinitely&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 01, 2012
flexing of muscles again between federal and state government.
But, when The Guardian contacted the Lagos State Commissioner for Transport, Mr. Kayode Opeifa, he simply said he would not comment on the matter.
why is mr Opeifa refusing to comment on the matter.
Them don fall him hand.
EKO O NI BAJE.
NIGERIA O NI BAJE.
THIRD MAINLAND O NI BAJE

1 Like

Re: Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 01, 2012
Of course it's postponed, it's Nigeria, or have y'all forgotten? A hope placed in Nigeria is a hope wasted!
Re: Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by uncleu(m): 9:31am On Jul 01, 2012
I think the ACN lead government was trying to take the credit. They should learn to give credit to the federal government when it is deserved.
Re: Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by anishe(m): 9:51am On Jul 01, 2012
power tussle. what d teaming population want is delivery of good services with minimal adverse effects on the populace. stop your power tussle and get focused on service delivery.
Re: Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by Lisa1: 10:42am On Jul 01, 2012
Good point[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by eledalo: 10:57am On Jul 01, 2012
simple thing like bridge repair causes power tussle and confusion. is the bridge closed or not? they cannot decide.
Re: Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by Paentera(m): 11:54am On Jul 01, 2012
I drove on the bridge this morning and saw heavy equipment deployed already. I drove from Yaba to the Oworonsoki end of the bridge while the equipment were on the other side of the bridge. In other words, I wished I could confirm that this post is correct or not. I daresay if a postponement was to be done, why would equipment be deployed? I haven't driven across the bridge in about 3 weeks and cannot say how long the equipment have been there, but I doubt that the repairs would be postponed indefinitely while such heavy machinery is deployed to site. I'm sure if there's any postponement, its for a short period of time.
Re: Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by eyoniggar(m): 12:00pm On Jul 01, 2012
^^^^^^^, I have been driven across the bridge at least 3 times in the past 3 weeks, and I can say that the equipments have been deployed since the past 1 and the half weeks. I really need that bridge this week,so the postponement is an advantage.
Re: Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by 1forall: 2:18pm On Jul 01, 2012
So the authority to close or not to close the bridge appears more important than its actual maintenance?

If these people had any real sense they would assume defined responsibilities and work together, not play politics with motorists' safety... KMT!
Re: Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by ochukoccna: 6:19pm On Jul 01, 2012
Why the FG plays politics with the lives of citizens no longer beats me hollow! cool cool cool cool
Like their principal said in a recent media chat, I don't give a damn
I don't know about other FG roads in the country but I know that those in the SW are death traps
Sagamu-Lagos road, Lagos-Ibadan road, Oshodi-Apapa road, #rd mainland bridge etc.
So what is the use of FERMA and Federal Ministry of works?
Why not contact the Lagos government since only to show federal might &play with the lives of citizens? shocked shocked shocked
God Almighty will cut off the legs of those who had no shoes & now trample upon the citizenry with their actions and policies
Amen!
And to the Ebele spambots who have flooded NL,may you partake of this judgement too.
Phuck you all
Re: Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by ochukoccna: 6:20pm On Jul 01, 2012
Why the FG plays politics with the lives of citizens no longer beats me hollow! cool cool cool cool
Like their principal said in a recent media chat, I don't give a damn
[size=18pt]I don't know about other FG roads in the country but I know that those in the SW are death traps
Sagamu-Lagos road, Lagos-Ibadan road, Oshodi-Apapa road, #rd mainland bridge etc.
So what is the use of FERMA and Federal Ministry of works? [/size]

Why not contact the Lagos government since only to show federal might &play with the lives of citizens? shocked shocked shocked
God Almighty will cut off the legs of those who had no shoes & now trample upon the citizenry with their actions and policies
Amen!
And to the Ebele spambots who have flooded NL,may you partake of this judgement too.
Phuck you all
Re: Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by mikolo80: 6:49pm On Jul 01, 2012
MAKE ARMY ENGINEERS COME BUILD EMERGENCY FLOATING BRIDGE NA ABI WETIN WE DE PAY DEM FOR.OR MAKE GOMENT ORGANISE ENOUGH FERRY AND LET PPL LEAVE THEIR CARS AT HOME WEN CROSSING THE LAGOON
.WHY DO WE OVER THINK SIMPLE STUFF LIKE DIS IN NIGERIA. ABI NA UNTIL D BRIDGE BREAK BEFORE EVERYBODY EYE COME DOWN
Re: Repairs On Third Mainland Bridge Postponed Indefinitely. by hardeyincah(m): 6:52pm On Jul 01, 2012
I pasted dis same story early dis morning but didn't make d front page.. Is there any due U'll pay before ur Topic makes the front page?

(1) (Reply)

PDP Accuses ACN Of Destroying South-west Public Service / Saraki Swears In Mrs Oluremi Tinubu ( Pictures ) / The Hidden Kingdom Of Satan Disguised As Freemasonry And Zionism.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.