Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,802 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

New PIB Resolves Controversy Over Fiscal Regime, Gas Pricing - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New PIB Resolves Controversy Over Fiscal Regime, Gas Pricing (4731 Views)

Poll: Is the bill coming at the right time?

Are there gray areas that need more attention?: 20% (6 votes)
Should there be room for additions?: 10% (3 votes)
The bill is perfect as it is: 20% (6 votes)
This bill is useless: 6% (2 votes)
I don't really care: 43% (13 votes)
This poll has ended

Yale Honours Okonjo-iweala For Fighting Corruption, Fiscal Transparency / South East PDP Caucus Resolves To Remain In Opposition / GEJ Sued Over Fiscal Responsibility Act, Rising Debts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New PIB Resolves Controversy Over Fiscal Regime, Gas Pricing by Pupita(f): 6:47pm On Jul 01, 2012
ifeci:

you sure say u b lady? or ur ID just dey read "Lady"
U wan start to toast me?
Re: New PIB Resolves Controversy Over Fiscal Regime, Gas Pricing by Elueme: 7:48pm On Jul 01, 2012
Since am not an expert in the petroleum industry, I may not have a deep understanding of the implications of this proposed bill but one thing for sure is the determination of this administration to clean the oil sector. The beige month , corruption and lack of transparency in the industry is still of great concern.. The discretionary awards of oil blocks which left the country's oil wealth in the hands of few cum the clumsiness in oil subsidy payment (tho in d upstream sector)which brought about the decision to remove the subsidy policy, lack of concern for local content etc r greater injustice to the Nigerian state... This admin is determined to enthrone fairness and a greater return to govt and they need our support and prayers... I ll hope that the national assembly do not play d spoil to this bill which even as a lay man in the petroleum sector seem promising for the country
Re: New PIB Resolves Controversy Over Fiscal Regime, Gas Pricing by Captainajama: 10:32pm On Jul 01, 2012
The talk is centred on what is achievable from the passage and implementation of this bill,the drive to get it right this time,and the brains behind setting the machinery in motion for the actualisation of this in our time.
Re: New PIB Resolves Controversy Over Fiscal Regime, Gas Pricing by Elueme: 10:38pm On Jul 01, 2012
Some Nigerians are incorrigible and it will serve more good to refrain from this characteristic.. U called someone a paid agent cos he has expressed his position which contradicts your ideology.. Who made you the embodiment of knowledge and wisdom in national affairs? It beats me hollow wen people make reference to el Rufai et al ,yes he has right to his opinion but any unbiased player will know that he(el Rufai) is playing a written script and the instability in his political ideology casts much aspersions on his integrity and motives.. I knw him as a PDP Stuwart but cos d going didn't go as he expected now his mouth is so watery that he has no other business than derogation of govt... That not withstanding, when we see something good we should be bold to say it is good.. The president as part of his reforms has been looking for ways to clean up and reposition our petroleum industry as well as others such as agric, electricity, aviation, works etc, so am not surprised of this proposition but rather I ll pray for d success. This is wat every true citizen should do and compel our red eyes brothers in the hollow chambers who may think that the bill ll favor the south more to have a rethink and accept that privilege is a God's act so the south should as well enjoy the privilege for having this oil with the attendant hazards of spillage and environmental degradation....
Re: New PIB Resolves Controversy Over Fiscal Regime, Gas Pricing by israelbenzion: 11:27pm On Jul 01, 2012
Pupita: I believe am been hounded because I am part of the clique of ladies on this forum showing political awareness and interest.

I assure u that nobody has ur time. Nobody wants to know.
Re: New PIB Resolves Controversy Over Fiscal Regime, Gas Pricing by ubandire(m): 1:36am On Jul 02, 2012
The bill is a welcome development. It's a sign post to GEJ's resolve to entrench local content, transparency, accountability and increased revenue in our oil sector. I applaud the proper gas pricing regime. I have no doubt that it will lead us to great heights in the exploitation of our huge gas reserves. This GEJ govt actually means well for all of us, it's just a matter of patience by us to see the dividends.
Re: New PIB Resolves Controversy Over Fiscal Regime, Gas Pricing by BENZINA(m): 8:27am On Jul 02, 2012
Elueme: Since am not an expert in the petroleum industry, I may not have a deep understanding of the implications of this proposed bill but one thing for sure is the determination of this administration to clean the oil sector. The beige month , corruption and lack of transparency in the industry is still of great concern.. The discretionary awards of oil blocks which left the country's oil wealth in the hands of few cum the clumsiness in oil subsidy payment (tho in d upstream sector)which brought about the decision to remove the subsidy policy, lack of concern for local content etc r greater injustice to the Nigerian state... This admin is determined to enthrone fairness and a greater return to govt and they need our support and prayers... I ll hope that the national assembly do not play d spoil to this bill which even as a lay man in the petroleum sector seem promising for the country
But you just spoke like an expert Eluems baba! good talk, tell demoooooooooo those faithless scarliwa........
Re: New PIB Resolves Controversy Over Fiscal Regime, Gas Pricing by rolchi(m): 1:54pm On Jul 02, 2012
Alxmyr: The major contending issue about the bill over the years has been the perceived "anti North" syndrome.
I remembered when the bill was first read on the floor of the Senate, many senators especially of the northern extraction
wanted the bill to be thrown out. The debate was very heated and it took the dexterity and experience of the Senate president
to rigmarole the debate and allow for the bill to scale first reading.
Before the second reading reading, different versions of the bill had surfaced. This is anomaly, because as an executive bill which has not even gone through second reading and have its principle debated, you rarely have alteration. But in this case, you have different alteration. And eventually, different versions of the bill.
Of course, the Minister of Petroleum, the Attorney-General of the federation and as well as Presidency as at then, kept quiet and rather than setting thing straight they play the "Northern Agenda" role and scuttled the bill. Needful to say, the bill was compiled and worked on by President Olusegun Obasanjo administration but was left for President Umar Yar'Adua administration to send to the National Assembly.
When President Jonathan took over, one of the first thing he did was to push for the passage of the PIB. It was rebuffed. I can recall also that Minister of Petroleum, Mrs Madueke lobbied vigorously the national assembly to ensure the passage of the bill before the expiration of last administration, but the lobby met a stone-walled opposition.
Now that we had subsidy brouhaha, the same elements that scuttled the PIB law will be forced to pass the law.
The challenge before all Nigerians is to ensure that the Nigerians do not play to the gallery and allow the National Assembly to smuggle, inseert and watered down the strength and legislation of the bill. The same way the watered down the power of the EFCC in the EFCC law and the Electoral Bills in the past.
I commend the president on this bold step and as well as Mrs Diezani Madueke for her doggedness; despite being in the eye of the storm always, she refused to be intimidated.

My brother from another mother...you spoke my mind! Nigerians failed to see that "northern connection" in the first bill then debated on the floor of the house. in fairness to you, I watched on TV then as one Senator from the north, said the bill will never see the light of the day because it will impoverish the north more. Let teh current bill get to the NASS, then Nigerians will know who their real enemies are!
Re: New PIB Resolves Controversy Over Fiscal Regime, Gas Pricing by Mandelaguy(m): 10:29pm On Jul 02, 2012
Alxmyr: The major contending issue about the bill over the years has been the perceived "anti North" syndrome.
I remembered when the bill was first read on the floor of the Senate, many senators especially of the northern extraction
wanted the bill to be thrown out. The debate was very heated and it took the dexterity and experience of the Senate president
to rigmarole the debate and allow for the bill to scale first reading.
Before the second reading reading, different versions of the bill had surfaced. This is anomaly, because as an executive bill which has not even gone through second reading and have its principle debated, you rarely have alteration. But in this case, you have different alteration. And eventually, different versions of the bill.
Of course, the Minister of Petroleum, the Attorney-General of the federation and as well as Presidency as at then, kept quiet and rather than setting thing straight they play the "Northern Agenda" role and scuttled the bill. Needful to say, the bill was compiled and worked on by President Olusegun Obasanjo administration but was left for President Umar Yar'Adua administration to send to the National Assembly.
When President Jonathan took over, one of the first thing he did was to push for the passage of the PIB. It was rebuffed. I can recall also that Minister of Petroleum, Mrs Madueke lobbied vigorously the national assembly to ensure the passage of the bill before the expiration of last administration, but the lobby met a stone-walled opposition.
Now that we had subsidy brouhaha, the same elements that scuttled the PIB law will be forced to pass the law.
The challenge before all Nigerians is to ensure that the Nigerians do not play to the gallery and allow the National Assembly to smuggle, inseert and watered down the strength and legislation of the bill. The same way the watered down the power of the EFCC in the EFCC law and the Electoral Bills in the past.
I commend the president on this bold step and as well as Mrs Diezani Madueke for her doggedness; despite being in the eye of the storm always, she refused to be intimidated.
We are all for the passage and implementation,and cannot allow this country to be pushed around. We have to support our president,all he has to do is to keep leading us aright and show us the will to succeed.
Re: New PIB Resolves Controversy Over Fiscal Regime, Gas Pricing by sylvanuscity237: 10:42am On Jul 07, 2012
hello,
i am very pleased and happy to write to you.i am a cameroonin of age getting to 27 years.i am a graduate from the university with a Bachelor's Degree in English Literature.I am in search of a firned with whom i can love.Though i am presently in Cameroon i'll soon move to USA certainly latest September 2013.So i'll be very happy to have you as a firned.I wait to hear from you.Have a nice and blesed day.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Prof. Dora Nkem Akunyili Arrives Awka / Channels TV Confirms It, Man Posing As Shekau Since 2013 Killed At Konduga / Omonigho’s Head: Boy Attacked By Dogs Now Smells

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.