Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,338 members, 7,860,841 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:11 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (166) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1806907 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (707) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 10:58pm On Dec 18, 2013
invest-now2013:
This Street is looking for some face-lift. The open gutters should be closed & Ornamental trees & flowers planted.Side-Walks should be created also. It needs also some street lighting & security cameras. The sand on The Road needs to be swept or taken away! When all these are done, You can now enjoy your neighborhood.
True, but if we can sustain the progress being made and perhaps improve on it we will get there.
I guess different govts have their priorities.

I know ESWAMA has improved in disposing the refuse bins but they still lag in daily street sweeping.
Few roads are swept daily and often not on time.

I wish they can cover all the tarred roads.
It is doable, all that is needed are dedicated supervisors.
There a so much cheap labour available, and it can be offered as a part time job.
Between 6 am to 7am latest all roads should have been swept.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 11:00pm On Dec 18, 2013
invest-now2013:
This Street is looking for some face-lift. The open gutters should be closed & Ornamental trees & flowers planted.Side-Walks should be created also. It needs also some street lighting & security cameras. The sand on The Road needs to be swept or taken away! When all these are done, You can now enjoy your neighborhood.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:32am On Dec 19, 2013
biafrandream:
Tnx everyone for the pix. Seeing all these gives those in diaspora hope that our land has not been abandoned completely abandoned. Please I am wondering if Ogbete market still receives patronage from our people considering the amount of cars at shoprite. Sorry guys, just a thought.

your concern is good but enugu has grown more than d city we all used 2 know.

opposite bricks estate at ind. layout theres dis big empty mass of land. saw there late last yr, was already filled wit dups nd so are many oda parts of d city.

was expecting d deptmntal stores (roban, eastern shop) 2 lose ground, but 4 whrre? visited early dis yr nd heard d com of trspt on radio appealling 2 pepl 2 invest in parkin lot biz.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:38am On Dec 19, 2013
obum042:
Yes it is formular one.

is that at oakland park or where?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 6:04am On Dec 19, 2013
cjrane:

Bros,i tried but failed to ignore this comment as another typically negative and ungrateful attitude of a Nigerian, where we must open our mouth to say negative things about others always, while we haven't and cannot do better.
I think the joke is actually on you that don't know the Polo Park Mall security-men disallow taking pictures inside the mall.

In this Enugu thread, we are grateful to those who take-out time to snap and post picshures here for everyone's viewing pleasure. The quality,the angle and even the location they choose to photograph is totally to their discretion.
Since nobody stopped you from taking your well informed professional picshures and posting them here for everyone's pleasure, you should either go and take yours or atleast show some gratitude to those people transporting themselves around town to entertain you free of charge with their cameras. Some may have to buy petrol to put in generator to post pictures for other NLanders.
First say THANK YOU to them then BEG them to snap the inside of the mall for you instead of insinuating they are funny characters for their efforts grin

My brother, ike gwuru ndi mmadu. Sad people everywhere.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Activity77(m): 10:30am On Dec 19, 2013
Heavensake:

is that at oakland park or where?

Shoprite
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 12:19pm On Dec 19, 2013
HOTEL PRESIDENTIAL ENUGU: GOVERNMENT SIGNS MOU WITH PRIVATE INVESTORS.

'ENUGU- The Enugu State Government says it has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Exceptional Hospitality Services Ltd. for the management of Presidential Hotel, Enugu.

The State’s Commissioner for Culture and Tourism, Chief Joe Mamel, told newsmen in Enugu on Tuesday that the agreement would run for the next 35 years and that the government would hand over the hotel to the management company as soon as the arrangement was finalised.

Mamel said the handover of the management of the hotel to the private sector would enable the state government to expand its revenue base especially as the investor planned invest N4 billion to upgrade

“Government owns Presidential Hotel Ltd 100 per cent but the management of Presidential Hotel has gone down. It is supposed to be a limited liability company, which should be profit-oriented.

“Presidential Hotel is supposed to be a venture of government, which should be able to pay itself and make profit for government as well, but for more than 20 years, there has not been any financial heading of Presidential Hotel in terms of cash inflow into government coffers.

“Exceptional Hospitality Services Ltd are the investors coming in and they have the know-how in terms of the industry.

“We are working on a 30-35 years lease, based on the time, we believe that through the project plan, that there can be a recovery of investment.“

Mamel also said that the current carnival in the coal city would feature a street carnival to enable the citizens to display their different cultural attires, adding that it was to promote culture and tradition.

He said the festival would feature traditional wrestling as part of the activities in the festival.
The commissioner noted that the festival had boosted economic activities and attracted foreign tourists to the state.

‘‘We come from a place with culture and we should advertise our culture so that the young ones who know little or nothing about our culture will also learn from it,’’ he said.

Reports say that the climax of the festival would be a visit to tourist sites in the state.'
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 12:29pm On Dec 19, 2013
I have always thought, this was the best thing to do. As long as it is being managed by the government, it will continue continue to bleed from the wounds of corruption. With private investors in control, the hotel would not only be optimally utilized, it will create more jobs.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by scantee(m): 2:02pm On Dec 19, 2013
.....Wahoo what a lovely thread thanks to you the OP and those that contributed positively in making sure this thread is active and Educating, I still can't believe what am seeing so far, Enugu has really gone wahooo, I left Enugu since 2005 and I have not visited home since then,I can't wait to be home this Xmas, Enugu is really a lovely place to be, just remembered my days in Uwani Secondary School.....chai...(how we use to treck from school to Garriki just to eat JI NA AGBUGBU..abeg madam agbugbu karikwa ji haaa haaa. I miss home. keep the good work guys. God bless our able Governor, long LL Enugu State, LL ana igbo nile.
proudly 042 son from Awgu LGA
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oilykid(m): 3:55pm On Dec 19, 2013
scantee: .....Wahoo what a lovely thread thanks to you the OP and those that contributed positively in making sure this thread is active and Educating, I still can't believe what am seeing so far, Enugu has really gone wahooo, I left Enugu since 2005 and I have not visited home since then,I can't wait to be home this Xmas, Enugu is really a lovely place to be, just remembered my days in Uwani Secondary School.....chai...(how we use to treck from school to Garriki just to eat JI NA AGBUGBU..abeg madam agbugbu karikwa ji haaa haaa. I miss home. keep the good work guys. God bless our able Governor, long LL Enugu State, LL ana igbo nile.
proudly 042 son from Awgu LGA
u ar welcum bro cool cool
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 7:37pm On Dec 19, 2013
Egwugwu masquerade at Okpara square Enugu at the ongoing cultural fiesta.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by MrEverest(m): 8:18pm On Dec 19, 2013
eaglechild: Enjoying the new pics,
Thanks oilykid and Obum042, pls keep them coming.

Just a little off topic, in Owerri the Wetheral round about at govt house received a big uplift with some christmas decorations, water fountains and stone works, they look very nice.

I wonder if Sullivan has any plans of putting up some Christmas decorations, at least on major streets.
It helps lighten the mood and encourages leisure activities and visitors.

Thanks, but it would have made a lot of sense if you had taken pictures of the Wetheral roundabout, or better still open a thread on Owerri just as Spyder did for Enugu, Owerri is another beautiful city in the East and we need to hype it as well!

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by henrychubayo: 9:34pm On Dec 19, 2013
Well in order to fly to Enugu airport, i had to get an Ethiopian Visa. One thing is that i never applied direct. i used an agent and because these guys are not Nigerians and are trustworthy. Since i would spend a day before connecting to Enugu, i will be needing the visa i guessed though am not sure how others have done theirs. Seems like i will be among the first to taste the bigger plane to Enugu on the 1st January 2014. Flying to Abuja is betterfor me because of something important but to promote Enugu, i will land in Enugu and then find my way to Abuja the next day. Its all good. If others can do these as well, Enugu will be great and commanding large number of passengers to Nigeria.

17 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ARROBA(m): 10:16pm On Dec 19, 2013
henrychubayo: Well in order to fly to Enugu airport, i had to get an Ethiopian Visa. One thing is that i never applied direct. i used an agent and because these guys are not Nigerians and are trustworthy. Since i would spend a day before connecting to Enugu, i will be needing the visa i guessed though am not sure how others have done theirs. Seems like i will be among the first to taste the bigger plane to Enugu on the 1st January 2014. Flying to Abuja is betterfor me because of something important but to promote Enugu, i will land in Enugu and then find my way to Abuja the next day. Its all good. If others can do these as well, Enugu will be great and commanding large number of passengers to Nigeria.

Dont forget to take pictures of passengers inside the aircraft. We will like to see how not empty it is.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 1:43am On Dec 20, 2013
biafrandream: I have always thought, this was the best thing to do. As long as it is being managed by the government, it will continue continue to bleed from the wounds of corruption. With private investors in control, the hotel would not only be optimally utilized, it will create more jobs.

^^^The company concerned should knock down the old structure and build in its place a modern 21st century hotel! They could even sell that land and relocate to another (newer) part of Independence layout for a much bigger space.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 2:02am On Dec 20, 2013
henrychubayo: Well in order to fly to Enugu airport, i had to get an Ethiopian Visa. One thing is that i never applied direct. i used an agent and because these guys are not Nigerians and are trustworthy. Since i would spend a day before connecting to Enugu, i will be needing the visa i guessed though am not sure how others have done theirs. Seems like i will be among the first to taste the bigger plane to Enugu on the 1st January 2014. Flying to Abuja is betterfor me because of something important but to promote Enugu, i will land in Enugu and then find my way to Abuja the next day. Its all good. If others can do these as well, Enugu will be great and commanding large number of passengers to Nigeria.

this is completely ridiculous
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:09am On Dec 20, 2013
Wow! The N4bn investment in Hotel Presidential would make it compete with the likes of Sheraton and Intercontinental.

More true 4/5 star hotels would be needed for Enugu to attract the creme de la creme of international business to the city.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:15am On Dec 20, 2013
invest-now2013:

Absolutely. This is what our streets should look like:

[img]http://4.bp..com/--C1x4WsS8rE/T6LjONomlyI/AAAAAAAAFnI/HGJRw15014k/s1600/sotw5a.gif[/img]

Anything less than this is unacceptable. Governors take note.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 2:54am On Dec 20, 2013
CFCfan: Wow! The N4bn investment in Hotel Presidential would make it compete with the likes of Sheraton and Intercontinental.

More true 4/5 star hotels would be needed for Enugu to attract the creme de la creme of international business to the city.

^^^If they're aiming high, then the present structure isn't good enough; apart from the fact that it's dated, it's also not large enough.

At best it would be a 4-star hotel; to achieve 5-star status they would need at least 16 billion naira!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ketoprofen(m): 10:00am On Dec 20, 2013
[quote author=biafrandream][/quote]

I think those pics were taken when there was less traffic.
I saw ogui road/ stadium in the pics and I tell u its a very busy place.

I saw otigba junction and I tell u, if u find urself there by 7:30 in the morn, then u will be very late for work.the traffic jam there is too much.
Moreover, in Enugu esp around independence layout, GRA, trans ekulu, u might not see much traffic in these abodes and their breath taking roads because they are not planned for heavy traffic.
If I post pics of garriki, awkwunanaw, agbani road, ogui n otigba jxns, abakpa, ogbette, u will start begging for traffic reduction instantly.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ketoprofen(m): 10:56am On Dec 20, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob:

Prof Charles Soludo once raised this critical issue during a South East development Initiative forum. Why is it that any young Anambra or Igbo person of repute that has achieved anything in life has homes in Abuja,Lagos and elsewhere without any in Anambra and the SE? Why is it that there are no standard cities in the SE,that would attract a foreign investor to live in say Aba or Onitsha,instead of Lagos or Kano?

Eventually, that fora determined that part of the problem was the absence of quality residential estates such as Asokoro district estates in Abuja or Victoria garden city,Lekki or banana island of Lagos going on anywhere in most of the SE states.Most of our housing estates are still hyper focussed on mass housing schemes for the poor and civil servants(which is also a good thing), but with none created to cater for the needs of the rich and notable people in the society (Which is also very important to have such areas).Thus these already Igbos are unable to maintain their standard of living anywhere in the SE, thus opt to live in such estates provided in Lagos or Abuja.

The Enugu State government under Sullivan Chime promptly launched the zoo estate and the Independence L/O phase II a.k.a the Enugu centenary city less than 6 months afterwards.Being fair to Rochas, he too tried to launch the "New Owerri" initiative to build a totally modern city around the Imo concorde hotel area.The Ebonyi state government started the "Ochudo city" as a nucleus to create a modern city out of an area of Abakaliki.

The other critical states such as Abia and Anambra as usual, did not launch any new city initiative, until very recently that the greenwood estate Awka have been pondered. However, development of a modern "Anam city project", "GRA phase 2 in the Akpaka forest reserve, around Onitsha have remained nothing but a pipe dream because of lack of government support to put in basic infrastructure to enable such cities takeoff.I support Gov. Peter Obi because he has been visionary in Education,Health and economic sectors, but in Housing? ,Please nobody should start politicizing my observation by mentioning Ngozika,AHOCOL and Udoka housing estate here, which we know who started them.When it became obvious that such estates are full (as they have been for years now), government must open up new estates immediately so that people can continue to build and invest in Anambra, and not wait for 6 or 7 long years before they discover that a new estate is indeed needed.There is simply non-existent modern housing projects for Aba city in Abia state.

If you go to Asaba today, all the areas around the new airport is being developed into an ultra modern city all the way from Asaba to Ogwashi-ukwu by Anambra bourgeoisie looking for a decent place to live! The same situation happens in the outskirts of PH,where many Aba based wealthy men are building themselves decent homes.The biggest problem with states like Anambra and Abia is that since private individuals build multiple storey mass housing unit, the government of those states have completely forgoten that it is their duty to ensure the provision of decent housing units of every cadre in a well planned estate. I don't want to mention Lagos nor Abuja in how government must assist the private sector to provide decent housing. So i will use Kano as another example.The kwankwasiyya city promoted by the Kano state government to provide a decent living area for investors and employers of labour are the types of projects Anambra and Abia state governments believe isn't their concern, which unfortunately they must learn from. With the dearth of such estate in those critical states, it is nearly impossible for a business man living in Abuja or Lagos or even abroad to quickly and easily take his business to those states without first looking for land because he simply cannot find any decent estates where he could buy choice property to live and operate his business. Thus, most businesses you see in the SE are owned by people living outside the region. The young generation have come to learn this practice that you must live outside SE cities unless you are a petty trader and only finally move to your village upon retirement.

they must be deceiving themselves thinking there are no standard cities and. estates in the east.
the estates in the Enugu for eg are not in any way meant for the poor!
Is it golf, liberty,zoo, loma Linda.?
they have not said their reasons for their low investments.
Thank God. the bulk of igbos don't think like most of those self serving politicians if not, Onitsha, nnewi and Aba. wouldn't have hosted the level of investments from igbos of the non political class.
all those places needed just roads the type they have in Enugu and town planning. and the rest of the job could be left for individuals to handle .
Simple .
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kostadinis: 4:52pm On Dec 20, 2013
ARROBA:

Dont forget to take pictures of passengers inside the aircraft. We will like to see how not empty it is.

''For a new International route, we are doing well". This was the response to my question from one of the Ethiopian airline's Air Hostesses. I flew through Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu enroute to Paris on the 27th November. On that very day, the flight had landed in the Coal City with about 149 passengers on board. There after, we were about 100 in number that departed for Addis Ababa. My own assesment is that the route is doing very well. That said, this airline is not doing much in terms of creating awareness of their presence in the city. Some Importers that i met at Kenyatta do not even know about them in the very city they're living. They still go to Lagos to board Turkish airlines, Emirates etc. for their business trips. You can then guess the awareness in Aba, Onitsha and the industrial power house that is Nnewi.

I must point out that one of the two ladies at the airline's desk in the Shoprite Complex was/is so unfriendly. Entering into the office, her desk is on the left. The airline would have to do something about this lady before she scares away all their customers. She does not know that her job deserves politeness to a customer who is paying hundreds of thousands of Naira.

On the other hand, Nigeria's FAAN must hurry up and provide passengers with temporary eateries within the airport complex. No single one yet. Passengers had to go to the "bukas" under the trees outside the building to refresh themselves. And once you've been screened for departure it becomes all the more difficult to buy a bottle of Fanta for yourself while waiting to board. That said, this temporary International terminal looks good. The airport management should start allocating the new shop spaces within the complex as quick as possible. Pictures of the on-going construction of the Interminal terminal may be difficult to get as the site is a bit removed from the current facility. The information I got from the airport staffers was that work is in progress. The immigation, customs, NDLEA staff are all looking forward to more active days. For those who may want to depart Enugu with food stuffs, the rules are now stricter. After a protracted argument and a tough back-room deal, i was allowed to part with my Dry fish. Their new Agric department now insists every food item must be "properly" packaged and with special transparent bags from Rouban Stores. Enugu is a great city and one for the future. I'll definitely retire there for good.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ARROBA(m): 5:58pm On Dec 20, 2013
kostadinis:

''For a new International route, we are doing well". This was the response to my question from one of the Ethiopian airline's Air Hostesses. I flew through Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu enroute to Paris on the 27th November. On that very day, the flight had landed in the Coal City with about 149 passengers on board. There after, we were about 100 in number that departed for Addis Ababa. My own assesment is that the route is doing very well. That said, this airline is not doing much in terms of creating awareness of their presence in the city. Some Importers that i met at Kenyatta do not even know about them in the very city they're living. They still go to Lagos to board Turkish airlines, Emirates etc. for their business trips. You can then guess the awareness in Aba, Onitsha and the industrial power house that is Nnewi.

I must point out that one of the two ladies at the airline's desk in the Shoprite Complex was/is so unfriendly. Entering into the office, her desk is on the left. The airline would have to do something about this lady before she scares away all their customers. She does not know that her job deserves politeness to a customer who is paying hundreds of thousands of Naira.

On the other hand, Nigeria's FAAN must hurry up and provide passengers with temporary eateries within the airport complex. No single one yet. Passengers had to go to the "bukas" under the trees outside the building to refresh themselves. And once you've been screened for departure it becomes all the more difficult to buy a bottle of Fanta for yourself while waiting to board. That said, this temporary International terminal looks good. The airport management should start allocating the new shop spaces within the complex as quick as possible. Pictures of the on-going construction of the Interminal terminal may be difficult to get as the site is a bit removed from the current facility. The information I got from the airport staffers was that work is in progress. The immigation, customs, NDLEA staff are all looking forward to more active days. For those who may want to depart Enugu with food stuffs, the rules are now stricter. After a protracted argument and a tough back-room deal, i was allowed to part with my Dry fish. Their new Agric department now insists every food item must be "properly" packaged and with special transparent bags from Rouban Stores. Enugu is a great city and one for the future. I'll definitely retire there for good.

Thanks for the update. I am really happy that passenger traffic at the airport is increasing. Ethiopian airline should be advised to continue to create awareness on their presence in Enugu and also in the entire south east...how I wish I had their contact details in Ethiopia so that I can write to them.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by henrychubayo: 7:12pm On Dec 20, 2013
We can do our best to provide vital informations to our people everywhere. i am doing it where i am. But didn't have much informations as to the accommodation arrangement there at Addis Ababa. But am happy i have book the ticket 2 days ago and rushed to the airport to pay for it this morning. i tried to get as much information as i can. i asked the Lady in their office at the airport how am going to deal with accommodation in Addis Ababa, the boss heard it and told me to ask for hotel voucher at the check in point. SO am happy that the airline makes arrangement for hotels for those who transit thru them and no single additional money will be requested. God willing, i will try to get a camera to take pictures through the duration of the flight. Such pix will also help encourage others to try the airline. We can do a little we can individually to help make the airport viable and promote the eastern region of Nigeria. I know that after my using the airline, many Easterners my side will follow thru. Many have asked why i used Ethiopia and they will like to hear the experience as well.

Hope to get a good cam so as to smartly take pix of the flight and the new terminal if possible.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ketoprofen(m): 8:59pm On Dec 20, 2013
TruLounge at GRA Enugu
Pix taken at night

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ketoprofen(m): 9:01pm On Dec 20, 2013
Indulge Lounge opposite polo park

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ketoprofen(m): 9:02pm On Dec 20, 2013
Another view

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ketoprofen(m): 9:06pm On Dec 20, 2013
Cappell Lounge @ GRA

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAgbalajob: 2:01pm On Dec 21, 2013
henrychubayo: We can do our best to provide vital informations to our people everywhere. i am doing it where i am. But didn't have much informations as to the accommodation arrangement there at Addis Ababa. But am happy i have book the ticket 2 days ago and rushed to the airport to pay for it this morning. i tried to get as much information as i can. i asked the Lady in their office at the airport how am going to deal with accommodation in Addis Ababa, the boss heard it and told me to ask for hotel voucher at the check in point. SO am happy that the airline makes arrangement for hotels for those who transit thru them and no single additional money will be requested. God willing, i will try to get a camera to take pictures through the duration of the flight. Such pix will also help encourage others to try the airline. We can do a little we can individually to help make the airport viable and promote the eastern region of Nigeria. I know that after my using the airline, many Easterners my side will follow thru. Many have asked why i used Ethiopia and they will like to hear the experience as well.

Hope to get a good cam so as to smartly take pix of the flight and the new terminal if possible.

I had previously been informed by more than 7 vibrant business people based at Onitsha,who frequently travel to China and the Far-east for business that they didn't know AIIA was now international and Ethiopian airline was already on that route! They still use Turkish,Emirates or Egypt air to travel via Lagos.

Also 95% of Igbo people here in the USA have NO CLUE that they could fly to Enugu from here via Ethiopian airline. Also the attitude of our people sometimes suck. When you tell some about that Enugu destination option which makes things a lot easier,especially those families traveling with children that will be saved long arduous journeys in luxury buses from Lagos to the East with American kids used to smooth roads and air-conditioned cars, they make silly excuses and it sometimes appears as if to fly to Enugu directly with their families will be doing you some hidden personal favor!
Most of them that went for Christmas still flew to Lagos and then stayed in a hotel for the night. Only to ride to Enugu the next day with luxury buses from Lagos! What a waste of time and resources! Old habits are indeed hard to die.
I also wondered why ASA USA will not even mention Enugu International airport now functional in its long list of useless "enlightenment" announcements in most of our meetings!

I think Ethiopian airline must target to regularly serve at least 20-30% of businessmen at Ogbete main market, Onitsha main market and Ariaria market Aba. If they can corner just 10 % of the business travel from these 3 markets alone, they will be needing a B747 to accommodate the number of passengers.
They must not only erect billboards right in front of these key markets, but must regularly use ESBS,ABS, IBC and BCA broadcasting outfits to announce their presence at AIIA,Enugu.Other catchment markets such as Benin city, Agbor & Asaba,Delta state, Abakaliki, Ebonyi state, Igala and Idoma parts of Kogi and Benue should also not be neglected.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 5:19pm On Dec 21, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob:

I had previously been informed by more than 7 vibrant business people based at Onitsha,who frequently travel to China and the Far-east for business that they didn't know AIIA was now international and Ethiopian airline was already on that route! They still use Turkish,Emirates or Egypt air to travel via Lagos.

Also 95% of Igbo people here in the USA have NO CLUE that they could fly to Enugu from here via Ethiopian airline. Also the attitude of our people sometimes suck. When you tell some about that Enugu destination option which makes things a lot easier,especially those families traveling with children that will be saved long arduous journeys in luxury buses from Lagos to the East with American kids used to smooth roads and air-conditioned cars, they make silly excuses and it sometimes appears as if to fly to Enugu directly with their families will be doing you some hidden personal favor!
Most of them that went for Christmas still flew to Lagos and then stayed in a hotel for the night. Only to ride to Enugu the next day with luxury buses from Lagos! What a waste of time and resources! Old habits are indeed hard to die.
I also wondered why ASA USA will not even mention Enugu International airport now functional in its long list of useless "enlightenment" announcements in most of our meetinngs.

I think Ethiopian airline must target to regularly serve at least 20-30% of businessmen at Ogbete main market, Onitsha main market and Ariaria market Aba. If they can corner just 10 % of the business travel from these 3 markets alone, they will be needing a B747 to accommodate the number of passengers.
They must not only erect billboards right in front of these key markets, but must regularly use ESBS,ABS, IBC and BCA broadcasting outfits to announce their presence at AIIA,Enugu.Other catchment markets such as Benin city, Agbor & Asaba,Delta state, Abakaliki, Ebonyi state, Igala and Idoma parts of Kogi and Benue should also not be neglected.

Our people are horrible when it comes to building our land. An Igbo man would rather fly to Kano first and then fly to his state than flying straight to Enugu. All the talk about lack of advertisement and awareness is simply not true. I know a lot of people who knew about Ethiopian Airline but they still prefer landing in Lagos or Abuja first (even when they have no business to transact there), before flying to their home destinations.

In as much as I agree that the initial price of flying to Enugu by Ethiopian Airline was very expensive, but what happens now that the price has been slashed and is the same with flying to Lagos. What is the difference between flying KLM, Turkish Airline, Air France etc and flying Ethiopian Airline, when all these airlines land first in their home countries before moving to their destination countries?

One of our sisters who was to travel to Nigeria told me, that it's makes no sense going to spend 13hours at Addis Ababa but it makes sense to her going to spend the same time in Holland. The I-too-know syndrome makes Igbos behave foolishly. We all claim to know but we have not understood the basic principle of self-preservation. We lack the spirit of Igbo patriotism and that is why we will remain slaves in Nigeria and will continue to be killed like chickens, everywhere, everyday.

I am not here to preach tribalism, but we must understand that we are first Igbos, before Nigerians and no one would build our land except us. An Igbo man has not learnt to patronize his own business for the sake of making sure that businesses in that part of the world survive, in order to keep people in jobs. A white man once told me that he spends so much money in the bar to keep people in jobs. He said that if he saves all the money he makes, many bars will close down and he will be in deep shit because lack of job will breed crime.

An Igbo man will first ask you if the business will benefit Anambra, Imo, Enugu, Ebonyi or Abia? He would rather patronize an hausa or yoruba business than his fellow Igboman's, yet he is the first person to go to the roof top to moan about government's inability to provide jobs. He feels on top of the world when his fellow Igbo man is living in abject poverty while he swims in money because it gives him a sense of superiority over his brother.

The bottom line is that we are still suffering from self-hate and no people have ever succeeded with such attitude. The Nigerian state succeeded in destroying our sense of altruism, such that we cannot be happy seeing our brothers living better than us without feeling bad. Even some comments here attests to this fact. Who would have bought Innoson buses if Sullivan Chime did not first buy them in hundreds? How many of us would rather eat Abakaliki rice than imported ones? How many would prefer Ibeto cement to Dangote?

Hey guys if we cannot develop this spirit of self-preservation, we will remain slaves running helter-skelter all over the world. While you patronize other businesses, do not fail to patronize yours, because in such way, you make your society better.

Please I did not mean to insult anyone, It's just a thought.

11 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 21, 2013
^^
Spot on analysis. What remains is to aesthetically improve the airport and complete the international terminal on time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (707) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.