Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,320 members, 7,867,864 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 05:41 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (209) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1810367 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) ... (708) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 12:23pm On Aug 20, 2014
Afam4eva:
I've actually thought about this several times. I've always boasted about how i will cite all my businesses in the east but it's not that easy but i'm ready to sacrifice to make a point but the question is, how far i'm i ready to sacrifice. The truth is that, every business is setup for maximum traffic and i will definitely have my main office in Lagos if it's a walk-in kinda office or an office where location matters. But i will definitely have the headquarters in Enugu. But if i want to setup something like an administrative office, factory or industry, it will definitely be in Enugu or anywhere in the east. I can bear the pain of transporting the goods to different parts of the country or have showrroms all over the country depending on the kind of product. Microsoft for instance, ios headquartered in Seattle, Washington not New York, LA or Chicago. CNN is headquartered in Atlanta georgia, not New York, Los Angeles or DC and that is because these are not necessarily walk in offices but mainly for administrative purposes.
well i hope you can walk the talk..there is a reason i asked that question because i have come across seve igbo people who will shout that igbos need to industrialize heavily in the south east but meet the them at a lonely or sober time you will hear or see them making plans to site outfits in lagos rather than the east and you begin to question their lamentation before...point is the issue lies in us individuals and not in any government or politician...nnewi is an example of walking the talk.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 12:34pm On Aug 20, 2014
Afam4eva:
You are indirectly belaboring my point. Why should Asaba be a surburb of Onitsha. Can't Onitsha itself have surbubs within? That's my point. Asaba can be a surburb of Onitsha but it will never be counted as Onitsha. Some parts of Maryland, USA are called surburbs of Washington DC but they're never counted as DC.
Present day Onitsha is not actually just Onitsha it is actually more of a cornubation comprising Onitsha, Mkpor, Obosi, Oba, Umuoji, Asaba etc

The actual Onitsha has a very small landmass and will better support an industrial district with the other small towns serving as residential suburbs.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 12:34pm On Aug 20, 2014
asha80: well i hope you can walk the talk..there is a reason i asked that question because i have come across seve igbo people who will shout that igbos need to industrialize heavily in the south east but meet the them at a lonely or sober time you will hear or see them making plans to site outfits in lagos rather than the east and you begin to question their lamentation before...point is the issue lies in us individuals and not in any government or politician...nnewi is an example of walking the talk.

The problem is logistics. The Southeast doesn't have good logistic links (this is a deliberate post civil war policy championed by Hausas and Yorubas).

Nigeria is an import dependent nation - so if you're not near the port, you're business will suffer. Somebody takes it from you. For a long time, the Southeast had no links with the outside world - and with Enugu airport and Ethiopian Airlines those links are still tenuous.

Kano has always had an international airport. You see, in Nigeria these things are deliberate.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 12:37pm On Aug 20, 2014
cjrane:

I have been to both Kano and Enugu and I know Kano is definitely bigger than Enugu in landmass. That is where the advantages end.Aside from roads put there by successive military juntas, it is more of comparing a huge slum to a proper city. Everything else is a hype!
Nigeria is a nation full of BIG lies and hypes told repeatedly in the hope that repeating it somehow makes it truthful. Officially, Nigeria's 5 biggest cities from biggest to smallest is Lagos,Ibadan, Ogbomoso, Kano and PH. Now we know ain't no way this order is true! So stop telling us crap about Nigeria and statistics. It is one area Nigeria can never tell the truth.
That Ogbomosho lie always makes me wonder aloud.
We need to update our statistics.

With problems that stem from census in Nigeria, we maybe living with such lies for a long time.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 12:38pm On Aug 20, 2014
eaglechild:
Present day Onitsha is not actually just Onitsha it is actually more of a cornubation comprising Onitsha, Mkpor, Obosi, Oba, Umuoji, Asaba etc

The actual Onitsha has a very small landmass and will better support an industrial district with the other small towns serving as residential suburbs.
Haba bros, how can Onitsha comprise of a city outside the state of Anambra. Where's that done? Asaba and Onitsha are two different cities irrespective nof how intertwined they are. Asaba is the capital of another state and has nothing to do with Onitsha save for the closeness. let's stop this delusion.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 12:44pm On Aug 20, 2014
Afam4eva:
Haba bros, how can Onitsha comprise of a city outside the state of Anambra. Where's that done? Asaba and Onitsha are two different cities irrespective nof how intertwined they are. Asaba is the capital of another state and has nothing to do with Onitsha save for the closeness. let's stop this delusion.

I think it's more realistic to talk about Onitsha/Asaba - just like Ibafo & Lagos can be grouped together. Onitsha is expanding to Okpanam, Ibusa, Ogwashi-Ukwu & co.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 12:45pm On Aug 20, 2014
Afam4eva:
Yes that is exactly what cornubations are different towns/cities merging with one or two being dominant in this case Onitsha and Asaba.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 12:45pm On Aug 20, 2014
HappyJoe:

The problem is logistics. The Southeast doesn't have good logistic links (this is a deliberate post civil war policy championed by Hausas and Yorubas).

Nigeria is an import dependent nation - so if you're not near the port, you're business will suffer. Somebody takes it from you. For a long time, the Southeast had no links with the outside world - and with Enugu airport and Ethiopian Airlines those links are still tenuous.

Kano has always had an international airport. You see, in Nigeria these things are deliberate.
i understand what you are trying to say but any manufacturing,assembly or even IT plants that is owned by a southeasterner that is not sited in the east is a no no for me especially when the raw material needed for that product can be located in the east...really do not care much about traders because they usually go to where the money is circulating the most.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:45pm On Aug 20, 2014
cjrane:

I have been to both Kano and Enugu and I know Kano is definitely bigger than Enugu in landmass. That is where the advantages end.Aside from roads put there by successive military juntas, it is more of comparing a huge slum to a proper city. Everything else is a hype!
Nigeria is a nation full of BIG lies and hypes told repeatedly in the hope that repeating it somehow makes it truthful. Officially, Nigeria's 5 biggest cities from biggest to smallest is Lagos,Ibadan, Ogbomoso, Kano and PH. Now we know ain't no way this order is true! So stop telling us crap about Nigeria and statistics. It is one area Nigeria can never tell the truth.
Even you too? I give up sad
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 1:06pm On Aug 20, 2014
INNOisBACK: Even you too? I give up sad

An important question - how rapidly is Kano growing relative to Enugu?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 20, 2014
HappyJoe:

An important question - how rapidly is Kano growing relative to Enugu?
Maybe you can answer that question yourself, by checking the percentage increase of each states budget annually, their relative IGRs and the kind of projects they embark on. They are are more rich Igbos in Kano than there are in Enugu and Ebonyi combined! Take that to the bank bro!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by abagoro(m): 1:43pm On Aug 20, 2014
INNOisBACK: Even you too? I give up sad

Knowledge is very important for any one to make useful contribution. Based on old census from the 60s Ogbomosho was then one of the largest cities in Nigeria but it has dropped today as evidenced from the last 2006 census. This is the NPC ranking of Nigerian cities and urban areas by population. Onitsha for example has a much smaller city population when compared with urban population which if included pushes it up to the 7th position.

City Population Urban Area Population
1.Lagos. 8029200. 9123200
2.Kano. 3248700. 3519500
3.Ibadan. 3078400. 3670400
4.Kaduna. 1458900. 1458900
5.Port Harcourt. 1053900. 1190600
6.Benin. 1051600. 1051600
7.Maiduguri. 971700. 971700
8.Zaria. 898900. 898900
9.Aba. 784500. 899100
10.Ilorin. 756400. 756400
11.Jos. 742100. 742100
12.Ogbomosho. 726300. 985600
13.Oyo. 620400. 620400
14.Enugu. 593300. 662800
15.Abeokuta. 529700. 698100
16.Onitsha. 509500. 1001000
17.Warri. 500900. 500900
18.Sokoto. 500500. 500500
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 1:49pm On Aug 20, 2014
abagoro:

Knowledge is very important for any one to make useful contribution. Based on old census from the 60s Ogbomosho was then one of the largest cities in Nigeria but it has dropped today as evidenced from the last 2006 census. This is the NPC ranking of Nigerian cities and urban areas by population. Onitsha for example has a much smaller city population when compared with urban population which if included pushes it up to the 7th position.

2.Kano. 3248700. 3519500
8.Zaria. 898900. 898900
9.Aba. 784500. 899100
11.Jos. 742100. 742100
13.Oyo. 620400. 620400
14.Enugu. 593300. 662800
17.Warri. 500900. 500900
This is exactly the same very controversial census figures we are talking about.

Yes Kano is by far bigger than Enugu but you cannot tell me Onitsha and Ogbomosho have almost the same population and Oyo town is more populated than Enugu that is just ludicrous.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jbaur24: 2:15pm On Aug 20, 2014
Why not ask the 1diot to supply you the link where he got the watered down stats!

eaglechild:
This is exactly the same very controversial census figures we are talking about.

Yes Kano is by far bigger than Enugu but you cannot tell me Onitsha and Ogbomosho have almost the same population and Oyo town is more populated than Enugu that is just ludicrous.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by 3dankey(m): 2:16pm On Aug 20, 2014
I have commented just once on this thread and will like to air my views again. Listen my IGBO BROTHERS, the only way we can attain this kind of height's that we all wish for,Is to have a FUNCTIONAL SEAPORT on our own. Jonathan gave us an international airport good, but we need a seaport. Only peter obi was even serious about it when he was in office and I still blame him for not persuading jonathan enough to complete the dredging of the river niger (don't know if I am correct) that would have made onitsha seaport a reality. We don't need a river port please.
I can also remember when he was the chairman of southeast governors forum: their was a resolution then from 1 of their meetings for the FEDERAL government to complete the seaport in akwa ibom(ABAKA not sure of the name) and link it by RAIL to ABA and other south east states. Now he is no longer there, don't know what the clueless/useless orji is doing. When ever I see us insulting ourselves I almost give up, we are IGBO's and should learn to love ourself (let's stop all this ANAMBRA better than enugu fight) instead let us complement ourselves.
Now take it or leave, there have being a grand plan to frustrate the IGBO's for a long time starting with ENUGU,ONITSHA, and ABA. Thank God we got an INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, not enough until we get that seaport. A seaport in south east or close to the east like akwa ibom, will change the whole of IGBO land in less than 3 years. Just wish our governors are seeing this things we discussing here and can achieve it.
NOTE: achieving this will not be easy, remember stella odua (only for international airport oooo). For this expect enough blackmail and other things from those that do not want to see any thing good in the east. I rest my case and hope that one day a seaport close to the east and linked my RAIL will be a reality.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 2:46pm On Aug 20, 2014
abagoro:

2.Kano. 3248700. 3519500
8.Zaria. 898900. 898900
9.Aba. 784500. 899100
11.Jos. 742100. 742100
13.Oyo. 620400. 620400
14.Enugu. 593300. 662800
17.Warri. 500900. 500900

Knowledge indeed! The same figures none of the regional governments accepted is now basis for your 'knowledge'. Just a glance on the map of west and central Africa showing the location of the dense population in comparison to the abnormality in Nigeria's distribution bares the population lie open for all to see grin
If Sahara desert were part of northern Nigeria, it will have 100 million people officially living there, but since it is not Nigerian territory, it has less than 10,000 people living in it!

The world knows Nigerian statistics cannot be trusted because they are heavily influenced by the country's politics and revenue distribution. That is why until the present day, the UN use "estimates" to describe Nigeria!

Nigeria is the ONLY West African country with the abnormal population distribution of more people living in the arid north than the south! If the artificial borders were not enforced by the colonialists, what is the difference between northern Nigeria to northern Cameroon, Togo, Benin republic, Ghana, Côte d'Ivoire or even Guinea?

With the crap census distribution Nigeria displays, Niger republic, Mali or Burkina Faso should all be more populated than Nigeria since in Nigeria's case, the population increases towards the Sahara desert than the well documented phenomenon of towards the coast!

If true federalism were practiced and no region needs to inflate its numbers in order to steal from others, then you will see how hilarious your numbers are. But until that day comes , you can continue to pluck out figured from your arsse as population census.

Even though intimidation and violence are used to perpetuate and force the hilarious blatant lie into books as "official" we all know it is a lie. So quit trying here to post those figures which have globally been certified to be fictional.

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
CFCfan:
I dey here cheesy
Hahahahahahahahahahaha , hilarious guy
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 20, 2014
Afam4eva:
What about me?
Nwanne mmadu , lOng time. Its been long I saw u here and I felt u were probably in honeymoon.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by rafindo(m): 3:22pm On Aug 20, 2014
Afam4eva:
I've actually thought about this several times. I've always boasted about how i will cite all my businesses in the east but it's not that easy but i'm ready to sacrifice to make a point but the question is, how far i'm i ready to sacrifice. The truth is that, every business is setup for maximum traffic and i will definitely have my main office in Lagos if it's a walk-in kinda office or an office where location matters. But i will definitely have the headquarters in Enugu. But if i want to setup something like an administrative office, factory or industry, it will definitely be in Enugu or anywhere in the east. I can bear the pain of transporting the goods to different parts of the country or have showrroms all over the country depending on the kind of product. Microsoft for instance, ios headquartered in Seattle, Washington not New York, LA or Chicago. CNN is headquartered in Atlanta georgia, not New York, Los Angeles or DC and that is because these are not necessarily walk in offices but mainly for administrative purposes.
.business are nt setup base on cultural sentiment but high yieldíng profit sentiment just like chime visit america nd india 4 medical checkup. when he has the so called transformation hospital he built meant 4 d poor.afam 4get this so called patriotism nd face reality.east need rugged, vibrant nd youthful thinkers,drivers nd pragmatist to lift her a sane society nt all these mediocres

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by rafindo(m): 3:27pm On Aug 20, 2014
HappyJoe:

.stop deceiving ur self with these postwar mantras.if u need development u fight hard for one,nt these delusional mindset of urs

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 20, 2014
eaglechild:

grin grin grin grin
And his Akwata Road collapsed after one rainy season.

Chimaroke had some very controversial dealings.

That's why he went tO fetch a better deal for enugu.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:33pm On Aug 20, 2014
asha80: you guys should no get me wrong but i find it funny that peeps that are from enugu or have ties to enugu that usually comment on this thread hardly ever talk about the inadequate industrialization of the state as if it is a taboo to do so.

Do that and they will say you hate Enugu people. The reason why Enugu Internally Generated Revenue hasn't seen any increase is because the governor has no vission. Chime is clueless,lets face it. Anybody can do what he is doing in Enugu. Whats there? Collect allocation,pay workers,use the rest to reconstruct and beautify Enugu city and maybe every now and then go to one village a build a single substandard road..lol
Chime's ineptitude has no comparison. And it infuriates me when people put his name down as one of the best performing governors. Some people love to live in denial.
If care is not taken Enugu will become an abandoned city...If what Obiano is trying to do succeeds. Enugu people are too laid back and that is affecting their advancement.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 3:35pm On Aug 20, 2014
Evergreen123:

That's why he went tO fetch a better deal for enugu.
Nne e be like say na your brother cheesy

You know he was very controversial.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by omicron(m): 4:01pm On Aug 20, 2014
HappyJoe:

I think it's more realistic to talk about Onitsha/Asaba - just like Ibafo & Lagos can be grouped together. Onitsha is expanding to Okpanam, Ibusa, Ogwashi-Ukwu & co.

I thought you understood the correction Afam tried to give you.

You cannot say Onitsha is expanding to Okpanam, Ibusa and co. It is wrong and somewhat arrogant to say that, with all due respect.

None of Asaba or Ontisha is expanding to or being taken up by the other, in geographical sense. Each is a town on its own right with different history and potentials. Onitsha can not 'expand' westwards more than it has already done, and Asaba has 'expanded' eastwards as much as it is....

Asaba is the town expanding to Ibusa, Okpanam and co, not Onitsha!

I know we all like to praise our towns and re-emphasise their potentials and glories, but we should also not appear to be over-doing it.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 4:38pm On Aug 20, 2014
3dankey: I have commented just once on this thread and will like to air my views again. Listen my IGBO BROTHERS, the only way we can attain this kind of height's that we all wish for,Is to have a FUNCTIONAL SEAPORT on our own. Jonathan gave us an international airport good, but we need a seaport. Only peter obi was even serious about it when he was in office and I still blame him for not persuading jonathan enough to complete the dredging of the river niger (don't know if I am correct) that would have made onitsha seaport a reality. We don't need a river port please.
I can also remember when he was the chairman of southeast governors forum: their was a resolution then from 1 of their meetings for the FEDERAL government to complete the seaport in akwa ibom(ABAKA not sure of the name) and link it by RAIL to ABA and other south east states. Now he is no longer there, don't know what the clueless/useless orji is doing. When ever I see us insulting ourselves I almost give up, we are IGBO's and should learn to love ourself (let's stop all this ANAMBRA better than enugu fight) instead let us complement ourselves.
Now take it or leave, there have being a grand plan to frustrate the IGBO's for a long time starting with ENUGU,ONITSHA, and ABA. Thank God we got an INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, not enough until we get that seaport. A seaport in south east or close to the east like akwa ibom, will change the whole of IGBO land in less than 3 years. Just wish our governors are seeing this things we discussing here and can achieve it.
NOTE: achieving this will not be easy, remember stella odua (only for international airport oooo). For this expect enough blackmail and other things from those that do not want to see any thing good in the east. I rest my case and hope that one day a seaport close to the east and linked my RAIL will be a reality.

Onitsha will never be a seaport, it will always be a river port. Unless we're ready to spend like US (on the Mississippi) it will never accommodate ocean going vessels.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 4:40pm On Aug 20, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Do that and they will say you hate Enugu people. The reason why Enugu Internally Generated Revenue hasn't seen any increase is because the governor has no vission. Chime is clueless,lets face it. Anybody can do what he is doing in Enugu. Whats there? Collect allocation,pay workers,use the rest to reconstruct and beautify Enugu city and maybe every now and then go to one village a build a single substandard road..lol
Chime's ineptitude has no comparison. And it infuriates me when people put his name down as one of the best performing governors. Some people love to live in denial.
If care is not taken Enugu will become an abandoned city...If what Obiano is trying to do succeeds. Enugu people are too laid back and that is affecting their advancement.

What is Obiano trying to do? How is Chime different from any other governor (save Lagos)?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:52pm On Aug 20, 2014
HappyJoe:

What is Obiano trying to do? How is Chime different from any other governor (save Lagos)?

Dont worry,with due time you will know what Obiano is doing.
I dont have time for bickering.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by basilo101: 4:55pm On Aug 20, 2014
IGBOSON1:

^^^I think Kano is seeing the effects of boko haram, and a feeling by some (myself included) that it's not a place where anyone but moslems can settle and invest in peace! This is the advantage Lagos has over it! If things were as they should be (provision of electricity, everyone being tolerant and welcoming, and no boko attacks), then Kano could easily rival Lagos!

I feel safer in Sokoto than kano sef!......Go figure!
Now dats sm one who has lived kano talking.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by basilo101: 5:00pm On Aug 20, 2014
3dankey: I will support basilo on this!because I have stayed in kano and also because I have the same mind set about the place like Bishop and IgboSon. Then whenever I see the governor speaking, I will say look at this 1 that their state is backward. I was wrong, when I came to kano around march this year and lived with my uncle in NIGER ROAD SABON GARI or when ur coming from FRANCE ROAD just stop at ZENIT BANK.
Listen, seriously I was shocked at what I saw, because I came in from MINNA NIGER STATE. So I got to kano around past three. The GLO towers, UNITY bank headquarters and other high rise buildings that I saw was mind blowing. when I told my uncle that my view about kano have changed! He said that I have not seen any thing. That he will take me to SHOPRITE and other beautiful places in KANO CITY. My uncle have a shop in KUFAR RUWA, that is for motor cycle spare part and that is where you will find IGBO mostly in kano. I move From FRANCE ROAD to KUFAR RUWA everyday and I think this place is developed by all standard.
I am no longer in kano because this BOKO HARAM stuff and most IGBO are planning to leave by DECEMBER finally.
Anoda pesn dat has lived in kano talking. I'm vindicated
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kostadinis: 5:01pm On Aug 20, 2014
Afam4eva: I attest to the delusion of grandeur that some people have alluded to. That was how some people were saying sometime ago that Enugu does not need skyscrapers because it blocks fresh air from flowing and thereby makes the city unliveable and i'm like WTF? Because we don't have something doesn't mean, it's bad. Let's learn to appreciate what we have while hoping for things to get better. Enugu is a good city relative to other cities in the SE especially and it is one of the most serene cities in Nigeria. That being said, Enugu still has a long way to go to catch up with major cities in other parts of the country talk more of cities in other parts of the word.

Enugu is growing in a certain pattern that i'm not happy with. if you notice the pictures being posted here daily, you would notice that they're mostly pictures of residential buildings and i ask myself, if Enugu is actually a city, shouldn't we be seeing pictures of skyscrapers or atleast tall buildings? The reason why Enugu is growing the way it should is that there's no concerted effor which should come from the government to make Enugu a pride city. it is a pride in some parameters which i alluded to earlier but it still has a long way to go. We need a business district (not a shop or kiosk district). We need an industrial hub. We need to invest in Media, Information Technology, Education and make Enugu a place that people will want to visit. Have you asked yourself why Enugu is not a top tourist destination as much as Calabar and Uyo or even Owerri. Unlike Enugu, these towns/cities draw people who come from all over the country to have a nice time. We know how the government of Cross River have invested heavily in the Calabar Christmas festival. We know how they have setup Tinapa in Calabar and how they have made the city the link to Obu Cattle Ranch. We know how Uyo has become the conference headquarter of the east. Everyday we hear how that city is hosting one conference or the other. Enugu despite not being a commercial or industrial city is not doing any of these. These are the things that Calm cities like Enugu are known for. Hosting important meetings and conferences and boasting of world class hotels. We need to take our expectations higher instead of deluding ourselves that Enugu is better than Kano. if it was better, how come you don't hear people from other parts of the country saying "I used to live in Enugu" or "My Famuily stays in Enugu" or "I'm based in Enugu" etc. That's because there's nothing that will keep you there. You're better off going to base in benin than staying in Enugu and that's the truth. We have a city that have promise and we have to nuture it and the government have to do their own part of the bargain.

Thank God the international airport is coming along. Thank God more roads are being built. We need a monorail or something similar. We need industries and businesses and not shops and kiosks. Big Igbo buisiness men should start investing in the east for God's sake. We need to put Enugu at a pedestal where it will compete with the best in the world. Enough of all this boasting. We boast a lot. Let's get cracking.

The AIIA is certainly the major facility that is expected to transform Enugu into a vibrant city. This said, the potential strategic threat to the AIIA by the Onitsha/Nnewi/Asaba industrial triangle is often neglected. The triangle is the fastest growing commercial/industrial axis in the SE/SS after the Trans Amadi ind. Layout in PH. This is so much so that the number of airlines flying into Asaba airport has surpassed Enugu in less than two years of the airport's operation. Overland, Arik and Aero are currently locked in a tight competition at Asaba as against two airlines to Enugu.

It wasn't long the Delta state government revealed the state's plan to start scheduled Asaba-Far East flights, especially to Singapore. This was instructive. It got many AIIA enthusiasts worried, but not everyone as the Onitsha and Nnewi chambers of commerce have had a good working relationship with current business savvy Delta state governor. On the other hand, Enugu and Asaba are two native Igbo cities. And so makes it tricky to say much on the subject.....reminiscent of the relocation of Nollywood to Asaba.

However, the fate of AIIA if an international flight was to take off from Asaba is better not imagined. Some form of agreement must have to be reached in this regard. But this can be quite difficult in view of the fact that Anioma state is yet to be created. It will be difficult to discuss such an issue with a non Igbo governor at the Asaba government house.

As the political capital city of Ndigbo, it is our collective responsibility to make the city of Enugu work. While banking on the AIIA, current and future governments of Enugu should strive to do more in the areas of FDI and industrialisation. Like you said, real investments.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by basilo101: 5:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
Ikengawo:

that's what I mean by Kano has the size, but it's a 'big for nothing' size. Most of the inhabitants are very poor even by nigerian standards and many of the dwellings are mud huts
kano is difrent frm kano state. D abachas and dantatas r d kind of ppl dat inhabit kano city while mudhouse takes ova d rest of d state
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by TamzyTamudo: 5:04pm On Aug 20, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

(1) (2) (3) ... (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) ... (708) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.