Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,523 members, 7,861,522 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:44 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (350) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1807232 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) ... (707) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:53am On Feb 05, 2015
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:56am On Feb 05, 2015
barracud3r:
I don't understand why Nigerian are ignorant. Nigeria is top 10 least developed nation on earth. every country on this earth even sudan,iraq,somalia or Maldives have nice areas. below is Lima,Peru they have a subway. they have skyscrapers ,but the country is still a third world because of the mentality of the inhabitants . why aren't people trooping to Peru?
simply because akpabio built 4 long roads and a college foot ball stadium,every one is screaming uncommon transformation. very ignorant . only 4 major roads are tarred ,4 unneeded flyovers , outdated library idea (most developed nations are actually closing down their libraries and getting rid of their phone booths ,since we now have online encyclopedia and information online . cell phone usage )
the inner streets are not tarred , and uyo is just a small town smaller than Compton or Inglewood which are just a section f LA city.
I agree that Uyo, and most of Nigeria are either developing or under developed. But I believe that with purposeful political leadership, and an intellectually curious populace, Nigeria will get to the class of China or Brazil, within the next 2 decades or thereabout.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 1:07am On Feb 05, 2015
CFCfan:
Two projects which could potentially attract Nigerian diasporans, specifically medical professionals, are the proposed 1,600 bed Abuja medical city and the 20th Anniversary hospital in Uyo. These world-class tertiary health centers would likely be positioned to cater mostly for affluent Nigerians and some other foreigners. In other words, medical tourism could be the main goal. Countries such as Thailand, India, Singapore etc are the main centers for this type of tourism.

A hospital in Thailand rakes in around $500 million annually due to the fact that most of its clientele are middle to upper class foreigners, and some wealthy locals. $500 million is over N90bn. The two hospitals, if properly marketed, could each rake in billions of Naira annually. Americans could even receive medical care in them because the cost will cheaper than what obtains in the US. Here in the US, an operation which costs $4,000, could cost around $400 in India or Thailand.

Even though i don't agree one or two hospitals in a country as vast as Nigeria will make any difference in dragging diasporans back in great numbers.
Stable electricity power supply and developed information & housing systems may be able to do the trick. Nigeria need a complete overhaul of thinking or mentality of building third world infrastructure.I am particularly pained when government builds hospitals, universities and other public buildings as bungalows, citing the standard which Zik had in 1960 when Nigeria's budget was a few million dollars.The mentality that it is okay to build hospitals without boreholes or stable water supply or haphazard structures without medical equipment must change.
Like i had mentioned once, I thank the man that built the first Palms Mall in Lagos. It taught Nigerians that mall building can be a good investment. Likewise, housing projects like Centenary city and perhaps the Uyo hospital should inspire the building of world class housing estates and hospitals in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 1:13am On Feb 05, 2015
cjrane:

Even though i don't agree one or two hospitals in a country as vast as Nigeria will make any difference in dragging diasporans back in great numbers.
Stable electricity power supply and developed information & housing systems may be able to do the trick. Nigeria need a complete overhaul of thinking or mentality of building third world infrastructure.I am particularly pained when government builds hospitals, universities and other public buildings as bungalows, citing the standard which Zik had in 1960 when Nigeria's budget was a few million dollars.The mentality that it is okay to build hospitals without boreholes or stable water supply or haphazard structures without medical equipment must change.
Like i had mentioned once, I thank the man that built the first Palms Mall in Lagos. It taught Nigerians that mall building can be a good investment. Likewise, housing projects like Centenary city and perhaps the Uyo hospital should inspire the building of world class housing estates and hospitals in Nigeria.
I can't agree more. The bolded are foundations for any society that aspires to be well developed.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by notobs: 1:32am On Feb 05, 2015
barracud3r:
I don't understand why Nigerian are ignorant. Nigeria is top 10 least developed nation on earth. every country on this earth even sudan,iraq,somalia or Maldives have nice areas. below is Lima,Peru they have a subway. they have skyscrapers ,but the country is still a third world because of the mentality of the inhabitants . why aren't people trooping to Peru?
simply because akpabio built 4 long roads and a college foot ball stadium,every one is screaming uncommon transformation. very ignorant . only 4 major roads are tarred ,4 unneeded flyovers , outdated library idea (most developed nations are actually closing down their libraries and getting rid of their phone booths ,since we now have online encyclopedia and information online . cell phone usage )
the inner streets are not tarred , and uyo is just a small town smaller than Compton or Inglewood which are just a section f LA city.

This is the problem with Nigeria we use our mouths to destroy whatever we have. If Nigeria built the sudanese, highways, the peruvian tall building and subway you are posting here, you will use your same mouth to say that Los Angeles or New york ones are better or you would say they are not needed in the country at the moment. Your type would look for any excuse to criticize what ever is in your country.

The Uyo you are busy condemning, everyone in Nigeria Knows that 8yrs Ago Uyo was akin to a local government Hqts with nothing to boast of, It wasnt even mentioned in the committee of cities in Nigeria, But today its the toast of the country,and very difficult for you to talk about development in Nigeria without mentioning UYO. There is a reason for that! you cannot be smarter than the preponderance view of Nigerians about Uyo.

For you to tag 1500km of roads built in 7.5yrs, as 4 long roads is uncharitable and disingenuous I would challenge you to mention how many cities even in the develop societies that build that much roads within a short possible time?

Those 4 new flyovers in Uyo that you say are not needed , if you see them Abroad you will be taking pictures of them to post here and ask why Nigerian cant build flyovers like that.

A Stadium that has been nominated for a 2014 worlds best stadium of the year is what you dismiss as a college stadium?

The library in Uyo is not a conventional library but a digital library connected to several renown libraries the world over. I challenge you to mention the cities that are pulling down even their conventional libraries not to talk of a modern e - library.

All Projects that is done in akwa Ibom is of class and hence should be commended.

No country builds a city in one day it is a continuous process, all We need is a responsible government that keeps on moving on and i pray the next governor in Akwa Ibom will be like Akpabio.

If Uyo could draw attention to it self within just 8yrs due to the good projects in the state then there is hope for Akwa Ibom if this continues and I have every confidence just like Cfan that in the Next 2 decades Nigeria will be a country that people will be linning up for visas if we continue building at the pace that has been done in the last 8 yrs.

15 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 1:50am On Feb 05, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:27am On Feb 05, 2015
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by castrogee(m): 4:30am On Feb 05, 2015
notobs:

This is the problem with Nigeria we use our mouths to destroy whatever we have. If Nigeria built the sudanese, highways, the peruvian tall building and subway you are posting here, you will use your same mouth to say that Los Angeles or New york ones are better or you would say they are not needed in the country at the moment. Your type would look for any excuse to criticize what ever is in your country.

The Uyo you are busy condemning, everyone in Nigeria Knows that 8yrs Ago Uyo was akin to a local government Hqts with nothing to boast of, It wasnt even mentioned in the committee of cities in Nigeria, But today its the toast of the country,and very difficult for you to talk about development in Nigeria without mentioning UYO. There is a reason for that! you cannot be smarter than the preponderance view of Nigerians about Uyo.

For you to tag 1500km of roads built in 7.5yrs, as 4 long roads is uncharitable and disingenuous I would challenge you to mention how many cities even in the develop societies that build that much roads within a short possible time?

Those 4 new flyovers in Uyo that you say are not needed , if you see them Abroad you will be taking pictures of them to post here and ask why Nigerian cant build flyovers like that.

A Stadium that has been nominated for a 2014 worlds best stadium of the year is what you dismiss as a college stadium?

The library in Uyo is not a conventional library but a digital library connected to several renown libraries the world over. I challenge you to mention the cities that are pulling down even their conventional libraries not to talk of a modern e - library.

All Projects that is done in akwa Ibom is of class and hence should be commended.

No country builds a city in one day it is a continuous process, all We need is a responsible government that keeps on moving on and i pray the next governor in Akwa Ibom will be like Akpabio.

If Uyo could draw attention to it self within just 8yrs due to the good projects in the state then there is hope for Akwa Ibom if this continues and I have every confidence just like Cfan that in the Next 2 decades Nigeria will be a country that people will be linning up for visas if we continue building at the pace that has been done in the last 8 yrs.

My brother nice reply, and May God bless you! Some people come to nairaland and expose their complex, without knowing it.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 3:31pm On Feb 05, 2015
Who are these guys cheesy From left to right. .........

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Crayola1: 5:58pm On Feb 05, 2015
spyder880:
Who are these guys cheesy From left to right. .........

Are there parks in Enugu?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:45pm On Feb 05, 2015
Crayola1:

Are there parks in Enugu?

I think so cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 1:48am On Feb 06, 2015
Still the shining but abandoned Enugu Super Dome : International Conference Center
Will stop this colossal waste of the peoples' money by completing the edifice and opening it to host conferences, celebrity weddings to generate revenue for the state?

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 2:16am On Feb 06, 2015
[size=28pt]200 foreign companies to storm Enugu for 26th International Trade Fair[/size]

By Emmanuel Uzodinma on February 5, 2015

No less than 200 foreign companies are expected in Enugu in the next few weeks for the 26th Enugu International Trade Fair.

The President of the Enugu Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and
Agriculture (ECCIMA), Dr. Ifeanyi Okoye, who disclosed this on Thursday, said the companies would be coming from China, India, the United States, among others.

Dr. Okoye spoke while addressing a press conference in Enugu to flag off activities for the 26th Enugu International Trade Fair slated to begin on March 27 and to end on April 6, 2015.

He said the fair would be declared open by President Goodluck Jonathan.

Okoye, however, appealed to the Federal Government to give the chamber the approval to partner the private sector in the development of facilities at the permanent site of Enugu International Trade Fair Complex.

The President of ECCIMA) stated that there was still infrastructure deficit at the permanent site even though the state government had
been of great help in maintaining internal roads and general environmental status of the complex.

He stated that this year’s fair would attract the highest number of foreign firms in attendance ranging from 150 to 200 firms expected
from India, United Kingdom, United States, China and other parts of the world.

The ECCIMA President stated that the essence of the fair was to get business minded people, researchers and innovators together to
interact and then go back to develop themselves.

Okoye said that ECCIMA was aware of the general elections slated for this month, noting that they had started preparing for the fair
working with the current time table of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), but at the same time ready to make any necessary adjustment if desired.

Answering questions from journalists, Dr. Okoye stated that Enugu International Trade Fairs had impacted positively the economy of Enugu, South East and Nigeria in general.

“The results are there, we have a lot of companies in Enugu state and they have gained a lot from the past fairs. I can mention a company like Innoson, which all of you know; he manufactures vehicles now.

“They have been coming to participate in the Trade Fair, manufacturing plastics, now they are manufacturing vehicles,” he said.

He expressed the optimism that this year’s fair would a great success, adding that it had been packaged.

The ECCIMA boss announced that they were collaborating with banks and. marketing communication firm based in Lagos to enhance and boost the level of participation and visitors to the Fair through a unique introduction of gift presentations to lucky visitors to the Fair.

What Nigeria needs is transformation, not change
He gave the theme of this year’s Fair as “Engineering the Nation’s Business Climate for Enhanced Industrialization, Investment Inflow and
Empowerment Generation”, even as he announced that the opening ceremony would be chaired by Prince Arthur Eze, chairman of Oranto
Petroleum and Atlas Petroleum International Ltd.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 9:13am On Feb 06, 2015
cjrane:
[size=28pt]200 foreign companies to storm Enugu for 26th International Trade Fair[/size]

By Emmanuel Uzodinma on February 5, 2015

No less than 200 foreign companies are expected in Enugu in the next few weeks for the 26th Enugu International Trade Fair.

The President of the Enugu Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and
Agriculture (ECCIMA), Dr. Ifeanyi Okoye, who disclosed this on Thursday, said the companies would be coming from China, India, the United States, among others.

Dr. Okoye spoke while addressing a press conference in Enugu to flag off activities for the 26th Enugu International Trade Fair slated to begin on March 27 and to end on April 6, 2015.

He said the fair would be declared open by President Goodluck Jonathan.

Okoye, however, appealed to the Federal Government to give the chamber the approval to partner the private sector in the development of facilities at the permanent site of Enugu International Trade Fair Complex.

The President of ECCIMA) stated that there was still infrastructure deficit at the permanent site even though the state government had
been of great help in maintaining internal roads and general environmental status of the complex.

He stated that this year’s fair would attract the highest number of foreign firms in attendance ranging from 150 to 200 firms expected
from India, United Kingdom, United States, China and other parts of the world.

The ECCIMA President stated that the essence of the fair was to get business minded people, researchers and innovators together to
interact and then go back to develop themselves.

Okoye said that ECCIMA was aware of the general elections slated for this month, noting that they had started preparing for the fair
working with the current time table of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), but at the same time ready to make any necessary adjustment if desired.

Answering questions from journalists, Dr. Okoye stated that Enugu International Trade Fairs had impacted positively the economy of Enugu, South East and Nigeria in general.

“The results are there, we have a lot of companies in Enugu state and they have gained a lot from the past fairs. I can mention a company like Innoson, which all of you know; he manufactures vehicles now.

“They have been coming to participate in the Trade Fair, manufacturing plastics, now they are manufacturing vehicles,” he said.

He expressed the optimism that this year’s fair would a great success, adding that it had been packaged.

The ECCIMA boss announced that they were collaborating with banks and. marketing communication firm based in Lagos to enhance and boost the level of participation and visitors to the Fair through a unique introduction of gift presentations to lucky visitors to the Fair.

What Nigeria needs is transformation, not change
He gave the theme of this year’s Fair as “Engineering the Nation’s Business Climate for Enhanced Industrialization, Investment Inflow and
Empowerment Generation”, even as he announced that the opening ceremony would be chaired by Prince Arthur Eze, chairman of Oranto
Petroleum and Atlas Petroleum International Ltd.

Please, where is the permanent site of the International Trade Fair located in Eungu?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:59am On Feb 06, 2015
biafrandream:

Please, where is the permanent site of the International Trade Fair located in Eungu?

Golf course layout, around New market area Enugu.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 4:05pm On Feb 07, 2015
Welcome home ...........

12 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 4:06pm On Feb 07, 2015
They use a 767 on the Enugu route. .....

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 4:07pm On Feb 07, 2015
No place like home.......

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Activity77(m): 6:04pm On Feb 07, 2015
Wow..am highly elated with this pix,spyder880 u ve made ma day,AIIA is definitely growing from strenght to strenght and by God's willing turkish airline will make anoda history here...

Kudos GEJ

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 6:08pm On Feb 07, 2015
Activity77:
Wow..am highly elated with this pix,spyder880 u ve made ma day,AIIA is definitely growing from strenght to strenght and by God's willing turkish airline will make anoda history here...

Kudos GEJ
Turkish airline?have they signed up to use that route?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ARROBA(m): 7:19pm On Feb 07, 2015
asha80:
Turkish airline?have they signed up to use that route?
@Asha,
In principle only.
Checked their website not long ago and they only had istanbul to abuja starting from 5th of march.
Not sure if they will eventually include enugu.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 7:27pm On Feb 07, 2015
ARROBA:

@Asha,
In principal only.
Checked their website not long ago and they only had istanbul to abuja starting from 5th of march.
Not sure if they will eventually include enugu.

Emirates does the Abuja route.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 7:32pm On Feb 07, 2015
spyder880:
They use a 767 on the Enugu route. .....

So glad to see these pics Spyder! Thanks for your effort.

Wow!, they started with a 737, then graduated to a 757 and now they are using a 767-300 !!!
Hopefully, as the passenger traffic continues to grow, they will even expand to even bigger planes as 777 or even dreamliner 787!!!
Chai, Enugu will soon be among the few African airports welcoming the dreamliner!

Next time i travel, i will enter Naija via Enugu, then take local flight to Lagos! grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ARROBA(m): 7:42pm On Feb 07, 2015
spyder880:

Emirates does the Abuja route.
@Spyder880,
Yes but Turkish airline will commence abuja route from th 5th of march.
They signed mou that they will include enugu only in principle and the VC Sambo used it in his campaign rally just to get South East votes.

Just checked their site and they have flight to abuja starting from the 5th of march.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 7:49pm On Feb 07, 2015
ARROBA:

@Spyder880,
Yes but Turkish airline will commence abuja route from th 5th of march.
They signed mou that they will include enugu only in principle and the VC Sambo used it in his campaign rally just to get South East votes.

Just checked their site and they have flight to abuja staring from the 5th of march.

Truly,
If they have Enugu route now just "in principle", its really not bad.
They will thus start whenever the traffic becomes sufficient, without needing to go through the aviation ministry for a MUO, which could be frustrated,depending on who is in charge then.

The Ethiopian airline is already excellent connecting Enugu to all of African cities and far East. All we need is one more international carrier based in Europe to make easy link for our people in Europe and America into Enugu.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 1:54am On Feb 08, 2015
cjrane:

Truly,
If they have Enugu route now just "in principle", its really not bad.
They will thus start whenever the traffic becomes sufficient, without needing to go through the aviation ministry for a MUO, which could be frustrated,depending on who is in charge then.

The Ethiopian airline is already excellent connecting Enugu to all of African cities and far East. All we need is one more international carrier based in Europe to make easy link for our people in Europe and America into Enugu.

Well Med-View Airline just commenced Enugu-Accra route grin

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 1:59am On Feb 08, 2015
biafrandream:

Well Med-View Airline just commenced Enugu-Accra route grin

Truly,
That is an improvement. While we work out a direct flight into Europe from Enugu, a Nigerian airline should actually base in Enugu as it's regional hub to connect West and Central African capitals. Lots of Onitsha traders have strong business relationships with Accra, Dakar and Abidjan.So i think it will be a lucrative route for them.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 3:17am On Feb 08, 2015
Activity77:

Kudos GEJ

I am really praying that as the airport continues to grow and the state government will resist the urge to allow further encroachment on the land around the airport. The entire area reserved for airport expansion should be guarded jealously from land developers who would want to build tall hotels and residential homes in the area. Then when the airport grow and gets busy,and thus requires a second runway, there would be no space left for expansion.

Right now, the airport still has land for expansion close to Ekulu river for a second runway when the need arises. I hope they keep it that way.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:30am On Feb 08, 2015
spyder880:
No place like home.......
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2104457_20150207122439_jpegf80af3bc2d16ea04a5c0fe7e5c092bf4

I don't like that image. It is too African.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 4:47am On Feb 08, 2015
cjrane:

Truly,
That is an improvement. While we work out a direct flight into Europe from Enugu, a Nigerian airline should actually base in Enugu as it's regional hub to connect West and Central African capitals. Lots of Onitsha traders have strong business relationships with Accra, Dakar and Abidjan.So i think it will be a lucrative route for them.
A national carrier can be the solution. The primary hubs would be Lagos and Abuja; while Enugu could serve as a secondary hub.
Ideally, the airline would connect Enugu with US and Asian routes. For instance, the national carrier could do Enugu-Atlanta or Enugu-Los Angeles; these routes could also be seasonal ones if the airline management want the primary hubs to be the main cash cows.
The Asian routes may be Enugu-Dubai, Enugu-Shanghai, Enugu-Kuala Lumpur.

A 2nd runway, taxiways, and a decent terminal would surely do the trick.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 5:11am On Feb 08, 2015
CFCfan:

A national carrier can be the solution. The primary hubs would be Lagos and Abuja; while Enugu could serve as a secondary hub.
Ideally, the airline would connect Enugu with US and Asian routes. For instance, the national carrier could do Enugu-Atlanta or Enugu-Los Angeles; these routes could also be seasonal ones if the airline management want the primary hubs to be the main cash cows.
The Asian routes may be Enugu-Dubai, Enugu-Shanghai, Enugu-Kuala Lumpur.

A 2nd runway, taxiways, and a decent terminal would surely do the trick.

Nigerians typically fear Nigeria based carriers for long haul flights. As a country we have a culture of cutting corners and very poor maintenance culture. In airline business,that often results in disastrous consequences.I was in London recently and my host bitterly warned me not to use Arik back to Nigeria. He preferred BA and would actually say he warned me in my funeral if anything happened.

Secondly, A national carrier would simply continue with the Abuja and Lagos hub, while local flights will merely bring international bound passengers to Lagos or Abuja for them.

Enugu aviation hub can only be possible by a private airline group, not FG national carrier.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:42am On Feb 08, 2015
@cjrane
I've been hearing that the proposed national carrier would, unlike the defunct Nigeria Airways, be a private sector-led enterprise. Who knows, if the likes of Emirates, Ethiopian or Turkish reap good returns from the Enugu route, the National carrier could be tempted to connect Enugu with other overseas cities.

As for the apathy towards local airlines on long haul routes, if reputable aviation professionals are brought on board, maybe there would be a safety-first orientation instituted amongst its employees.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) ... (707) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.