Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,532 members, 7,954,995 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:00 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (602) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1842955 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) (604) (605) ... (714) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Xander85: 3:17pm On Mar 25, 2019
Construction of Oji River power plant in the 50s.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by deadkamalu: 3:18pm On Mar 25, 2019
we lost many of the historical and iconic structures during the civil war to the rampaging enemy forces.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Xander85: 3:25pm On Mar 25, 2019
Train waiting to evacuate cement at Nkalagu cement factory.

Anyone know if train tracks still extend up to Nkalagu today? I know for sure there's no train service, so there's no point asking! sad

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by horsepower101: 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2019
Xander85:

True dat!

It's just the greedy leaders we had during independence who wanted to take over the privileges and material benefits from the white man that they had been watching and envying for decades! Some were genuinely able and had the burning desire to manage the affairs of the newly emergent nation, but they were overwhelmed and outnumbered by the greedy, tribalistic and visionless ones. Not to mention the fact that Nigeria was starting the journey of independence with a huge handicap of schisms, antagonisms and mistrust between its component units.

Personally, i wish the British had stayed to at least the 80s, to help save us from ourselves.....or alternatively, broken up Nigeria so we could all go our separate ways on 1st oct' 1960.

The British never left. They handed Nigeria to their care takers.

If the British truely left, they wouldn’t have massively intervened in the civil war which biafrans were winning in the initial stages of the war.

They only left on paper.

People have to watch some historical documentaries to realize that it was America that forced them to let go of their colonies. If it wasn’t that they could have stay and continued their full blown exploitation.

They took raw materials free of charge from us to the UK for 80 years. That’s probably over 200 billion of dollars in today’s money.

The infrastructure they built was mostly for themselves and exporting raw materials.

If you haven’t lived under colonial rule, then you have no right glorifying it. It’s almost like glorified slavery.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 3:40pm On Mar 25, 2019
Xander85:

True dat!

It's just the greedy leaders we had during independence who wanted to take over the privileges and material benefits from the white man that they had been watching and envying for decades! Some were genuinely able and had the burning desire to manage the affairs of the newly emergent nation, but they were overwhelmed and outnumbered by the greedy, tribalistic and visionless ones. Not to mention the fact that Nigeria was starting the journey of independence with a huge handicap of schisms, antagonisms and mistrust between its component units.

Personally, i wish the British had stayed to at least the 80s, to help save us from ourselves.....or alternatively, broken up Nigeria so we could all go our separate ways on 1st oct' 1960.
If the British had stayed longer we would have just being like Black South Africans, who are modern day slaves to the white establishment. We may not be where we hope to be but never pray to be a slave in whatever form. We still have our destinies in our own hands and we can determine our own fate. The only thing i think bedevelling us is corruption and of course the unwillingless of the government at the center to decentralize power to the constituent units.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Xander85: 3:42pm On Mar 25, 2019
horsepower101:

The British never left. They handed Nigeria to their care takers.

If the British truely left, they wouldn’t have massively intervened in the civil war which biafrans were winning in the initial stages of the war.

They only left on paper.

People have to watch some historical documentaries to realize that it was America that forced them to let go of their colonies. If it wasn’t that they could have stay and continued their full blown exploitation.

They took raw materials free of charge from us to the UK for 80 years. That’s probably over 200 billion of dollars in today’s money.

The infrastructure they built was mostly for themselves and exporting raw materials.

If you haven’t lived under colonial rule, then you have glorifying it. It’s almost like glorified slavery.

Well, it's not like i'm 'glorifying colonial rule' as you put it. Just being pragmatic about the whole thing....choosing the lesser of two evils, and weighing the situation of Ndigbo during colonial rule vis-a-vis what we have today in a purportedly 'independent and democratic' Nigeria. What i'm saying is that i'd rather the British stayed till at least the 80s to help save us from ourselves, than leave on 1st oct' 1960 and hand a fractured and divided Nigeria (b'cos that's exactly what Nigeria was, no matter how we try to gloss over it) over to a bunch of bickering, insecure, bigoted and ill-prepared so called 'founding-fathers' and 'heroes past'!

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by horsepower101: 3:43pm On Mar 25, 2019
Afam4eva:

If the British had stayed longer we would have just being like Black South Africans, who are modern day slaves to the white establishment. We may not be where we hope to be but never pray to be a slave in whatever form. We still have our destinies in our own hands and we can determine our own fate. The only thing i think bedevelling us is corruption and of course the unwillingless of the government at the center to decentralize power to the constituent units.

Gbam. Nigeria has to restructure or its doomed to colaspe on its own weight. To make it worse, we have a parasitic region that has no understanding of economics and the massive threat we are facing. Their only aim is to preserve the status quo no matter who suffers.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 3:45pm On Mar 25, 2019
horsepower101:

Gbam. Nigeria has to restructure or its doomed to colaspe on its own weight. To make it worse, we have a parasitic region that has no understanding of economic and the massive threat we are facing. Their only aim is to preserve the status quo no matter who suffers.
The Northerners do not care. They are not as ambitious as the south or Igbos in this case, so they can as well sit on the progressof the country granted it benefits them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by horsepower101: 3:51pm On Mar 25, 2019
Afam4eva:

The Northerners do not care. They are not as ambitious as the south or Igbos in this case, so they can as well sit on the progressof the country granted it benefits them.

They day igbos can have unlimited control of their own destiny is the day a true black and powerful people will emerge. It’s unfortunate that we have so many dragging us down in this Nigeria with their hopelessness, lack of ambition and parasitic attitudes.

One thing I know in life is that nothing good last for ever. One day all this will end. We will have the last laugh.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 4:00pm On Mar 25, 2019
horsepower101:

They day igbos can have unlimited control of their own destiny is the day a true black and powerful people will emerge. It’s unfortunate that we have so many dragging us down in this Nigeria with their hopelessness, lack of ambition and parasitic attitudes.

One thing I know in life is that nothing good last for ever. One day all this will end.
As much as this is true, we as Igbos have a lot of problems bedevelling us that is greater than being a country filled with people who want to pull us down.

Having analyzing all igbo states in comparison to other states in the federation, i've come to the conclusion that ne of our problems is "Intellectual flight" or "Brain Brain" as we love to call it in Nigeria.

The reason for the lack of ambition of the people we call Governors in Igboland is because the citizenry do not demand those things. For instance, there's no reason why Abians will elect derelics like Orji Uzor Kalu, Theodoore Orji and Ikpeazu in succession, except for the fact that most people in Abia state are either less edducated or haave been hypnotized not to know what it good for them in the long term. That's why a sitting governor can go about sharing kerosine all over the place. Now, imagine if Enlightened Igbos in Lagos, Abuja, America and the UK actually moved to Igboland ad setup shops either as doctors, lawyers, engineers, teachers etc, don't you think they will elect more credible leaders that actually has something to offer rather than distributing kerosene.

All we need to do is to repatriate our best brains. Ugwuanyi will not build a space center in Enugu except we actually have world class scientist that are ready to settle in Enugu and demand that a space center be built. As long as our people in the east keep demanding "Ota Aka" kind of services, that's what they will get from the government.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by horsepower101: 4:01pm On Mar 25, 2019
Xander85:

Well, it's not like i'm 'glorifying colonial rule' as you put it. Just being pragmatic about the whole thing....choosing the lesser of two evils, and weighing the situation of Ndigbo during colonial rule vis-a-vis what we have today in a purportedly 'independent and democratic' Nigeria. What i'm saying is that i'd rather the British stayed till at least the 80s to help save us from ourselves, than leave on 1st oct' 1960 and hand a fractured and divided Nigeria (b'cos that's exactly what Nigeria was, no matter how we try to gloss over it) over to a bunch of bickering, insecure, bigoted and ill-prepared so called 'founding-fathers' and 'heroes past'!

Nigeria turned out exactly the way the British wanted it to. They wanted it defunctional. They weren’t even happy leaving it. So even if they stayed longer, it wouldn’t change how they felt. Who do you think help the north righ their population in the first place?

Nigerian need to understand that their problems started with the British.

Nigeria today, turned out the exactly way the British wanted it.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by horsepower101: 4:06pm On Mar 25, 2019
Afam4eva:

As much as this is true, we as Igbos have a lot of problems bedevelling us that is greater than being a country filled with people who want to pull us down.

Having analyzing all igbo states in comparison to other states in the federation, i've come to the conclusion that ne of our problems is "Intellectual flight" or "Brain Brain" as we love to call it in Nigeria.

The reason for the lack of ambition of the people we call Governors in Igboland is because the citizenry do not demand those things. For instance, there's no reason why Abians will elect derelics like Orji Uzor Kalu, Theodoore Orji and Ikpeazu in succession, except for the fact that most people in Abia state are either less edducated or haave been hypnotized not to know what it good for them in the long term. That's why a sitting governor can go about sharing kerosine all over the place. Now, imagine if Enlightened Igbos in Lagos, Abuja, America and the UK actually moved to Igboland ad setup shops either as doctors, lawyers, engineers, teachers etc, don't you think they will elect more credible leaders that actually has something to offer rather than distributing kerosene.

All we need to do is to repatriate our best brains. Ugwuanyi will not build a space center in Enugu except we actually have world class scientist that are ready to settle in Enugu and demand that a space center be built. As long as our people in the east keep demanding "Ota Aka" kind of services, that's what they will get from the government.

You are 100% correct. We have a massive brain drain and the less educated keep running and and being voted in by other less educated people.

But the Nigerian factor is the real reason that the brain drain is happening. That’s basically my point.

There are so many igbos that will come back home if they feel that the Nigerian dysfunction won’t affect them. Example is if we were to go back to regionalism where we have good control of our destiny.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 4:15pm On Mar 25, 2019
horsepower101:

You are 100% correct. We have a massive brain drain and the less educated keep running and and being voted in by other less educated people.

But the Nigerian factor is the real reason that the brain drain is happening. That’s basically my point.

There are so many igbos that will come back home if they feel that the Nigerian dysfunction won’t affect them. Example is if we were to go back to regionalism where we have good control of our destiny.
of course that's what triggered the problem but it doesn't have to be what sustains it if we do something about it. There's absolutely no guaranty that if we went back to regionalism, that things will change because these Igbos who are in Lagos and Abuja will most likely remain there because they feel those are places that they can get a better life. We need to put in measures to actually bring Igbos backk to Igboland. it annoys me whenever i see young Igbo undergraduates litterd all over Owerri justbecause there schools are somewhere around only to run back to Lagos or wherever they came from, the moment school closes or they graduate making the city look like a Quasi Ghost town.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Daewang: 7:07pm On Mar 25, 2019
I'm so happy our Enugu thread seems to be back again.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by christejames(m): 7:38pm On Mar 25, 2019
Xander85:
Enugu municipal offices in the 60s. Anyone knows if this building is still standing and where in Enugu it is?

This looks like the present administration building of Enugu North LGA secretariat...

beautiful pix

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:10pm On Mar 25, 2019
horsepower101:

One thing I know in life is that nothing good last for ever. One day all this will end. We will have the last laugh.
When we start thinking like it's only up to us to achieve Biafra, then draw correct boarders ,we will achieve Biafra.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Rosskii: 8:13pm On Mar 25, 2019
sonature1:

These guys were hasty in making this decision.
From the look of things, I don't think Nigeria is ready for independence. Look how the colonial masters transformed South Africa.

Use your brain, Mr. Man. WHY did the colonialists not 'transform' Nigeria, or 1897 to 1960 (63 years) was not enough time?

After all, South Africa was already developed by the 1940s.

Just because they '''transformed'' South Africa (meaning they used some of the country's export earnings on the country rather than wholesale embezzlement to Europe) did not mean they would do same in Nigeria or in other African colonies. They had a huge white settler population in SA to whom they felt responsible. They saw SA as ''their'' country the way they never did for Nigeria or anywhere else in black Africa. The wholly black countries they ruled, they looted.

So wishing they had stayed longer betrays a total lack of understanding of colonialism and the reason for colonialism - the direct exploitation of the colonised in favour of the colonizer.

We might deride our current leaders, but in terms of development of our country, they are a million times better than the colonialists. I bet you little Ebonyi state has built more schools in its short few years of existence than were built in all Nigeria between 1897 and 1960.

Why do you think your grandparents and/or great grandparents were illiterate peasants? It was due to colonial neglect of education. In all their 63 years here, they built not a single university. At independence in 1960, national literacy rate was 8%, despite the magical whites having ruled for 63 years straight.

It is a fair bet that had they remained in power till now, we'd all be illiterate villagers.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:14pm On Mar 25, 2019
Afam4eva:

The only way to stop Igbo brain drain to other regions is to secede the country. Igbo intellectuals are too relaxed being outside their region, secede will force a lot of them back permanently.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 8:17pm On Mar 25, 2019
Omnibus:
The only way to stop Igbo brain drain to other regions is to secede the country. Igbo intellectuals are too relaxed being outside their region, secede will force a lot of them back permanently.
Secession is definitely oe of the ways but don't nder estimate the resolve of Igbos to remain outside Igbo land. Don't be surprised if Igbos, upon secession start trying hard to get Nigerian citizenship. I'm ashamed to say this but the best way may be for local Indegenes to chase all of out of their states. I mean chase us like they did in the 50s and 60s. We've become too relaxed living in Lagos and Abuja.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Rosskii: 8:28pm On Mar 25, 2019
Xander85:

Chances are that if the British had stayed till the 80s, this forum would have less than 50 members, as we'd all be illiterate farmers, hunters, and herdsmen, given the fact that the colonialists invested next to nothing on education. People like you need to use your brain, and go and research the colonial period, and what actually led to people like Awo, Zik, Enahoro and others, to fight the British and demand independence.

At independence, the things we all take for granted today, cars, shoes, fine clothes, modern amenities, electricity, electronics, etc were JUST FOR THE VERY FEW RICH. The majority of Nigerians were suffering village peasants with no hope for a better life and no education. Be THANKFUL for the independence we got, which saw the immediate building of thousands of schools and vital infrastructure across the entire country, by black govts. Even our first major power plant, Kainji Dam, was built after independence, by the Balewa govt.

People need to study what colonial rule means, and why a nation would leave its shores to establish rulership over another nation thousands of miles away. It is NEVER for the benefit of the latter. It is always for the purposes of EXPLOITATION. Evacuating your resources, selling them, and retaining the export earnings for their country.

So calling for your colonizer to rule over you for longer is really the height of tomfoolery and ignorance.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 25, 2019
Afam4eva:

Secession is definitely oe of the ways but don't nder estimate the resolve of Igbos to remain outside Igbo land. Don't be surprised if Igbos, upon secession start trying hard to get Nigerian citizenship. I'm ashamed to say this but the best way may be for local Indegenes to chase all of out of their states. I mean chase us like they did in the 50s and 60s. We've become too relaxed living in Lagos and Abuja.
secession is the fastest way to plug brain drain in Igbo land. In fact that is the primary reason I support Biafra. You become a foreigner over night , make though decisions or come back home.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 8:31pm On Mar 25, 2019
Omnibus:
secession is the fastest way to plug brain drain in Igbo land. In fact that is the primary reason I support Biafra. You become a foreigner over night , make though decisions or come back home.
True. But i like being realistic. Are we sayng that if we don't gte Biafra, that we won't do anything about the brain drain? For how long are we going to wait? it behoves on our leaders (which btw, we have to elect better ones) to make a concerted effort to fix the problem. We needs our best hands back and the only way is to create the enabling environment.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by AuntLaVIV(f): 8:46pm On Mar 25, 2019
Rosskii:

Chances are that if the British had stayed till the 80s, this forum would have less than 50 members, as we'd all be illiterate farmers, hunters, and herdsmen, given the fact that the colonialists invested next to nothing on education. People like you need to use your brain, and go and research the colonial period, and what actually led to people like Awo, Zik, Enahoro and others, to fight the British and demand independence.

At independence, the things we all take for granted today, cars, shoes, fine clothes, modern amenities, electronics, etc were JUST FOR THE VERY FEW RICH. The majority of Nigerians were suffering peasants with no hope for a better life and no education. Be THANKFUL for the independence we got, which saw the immediate building of thousands of schools and vital infrastructure across the entire country, by black govts. Even our first major power plant, Kainji Dam, was built after independence, by the Balewa govt.

People need to study what colonial rule means, and why a nation would leave its shores to establish rulership over another nation thousands of miles away. It is NEVER for the benefit of the latter. It is always for the purposes of EXPLOITATION. Evacuating your resources and retaining the export earnings for their country.

So calling for your colonizer to rule over you for longer is really the height of tomfoolery and ignorance.

If the colonial masters never ventured into Africa, the black race and Nigeria in particular would still be killing twins, Nigeria would still remain a place where humans walk around unclad, Nigeria would still be a country where you can't differentiate between monkeys and humans.

Black race should be grateful to Europeans for coming to our rescue. God used them to save Africa.

By 1925 the Europeans have already established DMGS Onitsha.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Xander85: 12:31am On Mar 26, 2019
Rosskii:

At independence, the things we all take for granted today, cars, shoes, fine clothes, modern amenities, electricity, electronics, etc were JUST FOR THE VERY FEW RICH. The majority of Nigerians were suffering village peasants with no hope for a better life and no education. Be THANKFUL for the independence we got, which saw the immediate building of thousands of schools and vital infrastructure across the entire country, by black govts. Even our first major power plant, Kainji Dam, was built after independence, by the Balewa govt.

People need to study what colonial rule means, and why a nation would leave its shores to establish rulership over another nation thousands of miles away. It is NEVER for the benefit of the latter. It is always for the purposes of EXPLOITATION. Evacuating your resources, selling them, and retaining the export earnings for their country.

I've read your submission, and still think the Brits should have left in the 80s.....in the modern era, when respect for fundamental human rights and human dignity were becoming more entrenched than it was in the 60s. I'm looking at this issue first and foremost from the viewpoint of an Igbo man in present day Nigeria! At no time did i say that colonialism wasn't bad or that self-rule wasn't better.

There's something you guys don't understand.....the status of Igbos in Nigeria today is no better than it was during the colonial era. The only difference was that during the colonial era, we were oppressed and exploited by the white man; today however, under our pseudo independence, the race of our oppressors has changed from white Brit to Fulani.....Fulani, ably assisted by a few greedy efulefus and house-niggers from the south (including Igboland unfortunately).

You said of colonialism: ".....It is NEVER for the benefit of the latter. It is always for the purposes of EXPLOITATION. Evacuating your resources, selling them, and retaining the export earnings for their country". The funny thing about this statement is that if you remove Britain and replace it with Fulani, it still holds true in relation to Ndigbo and Alaigbo!

You talk of the Brits being so evil and all that. Well, they're foreigners...from a different race and continent altogether. I don't expect them to empathise with my situation. However, when a so called 'fellow compatriot'....a 'fellow black' treats me with the same level of hate and contempt as the white coloniser (if not worse), on what basis then do you expect me to be hankering for 'independence' so i can live with this oppressor alone, with no third party to help limit his excesses?

[b] Igbos have been murdered in their millions by the Fulani ran federal gov't; we have been targeted in the north more times than i care to remember when these fellow compatriots northerners feel the need to vent their anger on some 'pesky infidel'; we've been cheated (whether by omission or commission) and ganged up against when it comes to picking the president or head of state of Nigeria (no Igbo has ruled Nigeria since Ironsi, while ethnic groups like the Fulani have had more than their fairshare and are poised to have another go in 2023); Alaigbo has been balkanised and reduced to about 2/3 of it's size just so we don't get to benefit from the natural resources God in his infinite wisdom has blessed us with....our own blood have been encouraged, bribed and even cajoled to abandon their Igbo heritage for the same reason; Alaigbo has been cheated in the distribution of resources, contracts and development.....a disproportionate amount of said resources and efforts is directed towards Lagos, Abuja, Kaduna, Kano and Zaria, and this is turn has left our youth and job seekers to emigrate to these places to look for jobs and to earn a living....with the attendant insults that go with it; Ndigbo have been prevented from exercising their constitutionally guaranteed right to vote and be voted for in any part of 'one Nigeria' they so choose...and a recent example of this is what happened in Lagos recently when a god father that believes Lagos belongs to him and his ethnicity sponsored thugs to go and scatter the voting process in Igbo dominated areas of the city; Igbo businesses have been and are being frustrated out of pure hate and bigotry (a recent example of this is the trade fair debacle in Lagos), while others from the 'anointed' ethnic groups are giving all sorts or support and waivers, and in some cases encouraged to monopolise certain sectors; Igbo children are given higher/harder conditions to meet for entry into gov't schools, all because they are said to be brighter than others (as if that's now a crime instead of something that should be celebrated and encouraged); there are some arms of gov't, federal owned institutions and parastatals whose headship is reserved mainly for the 'anointed' ethnic groups, and you hardly see a Igbo man or woman heading them (you know no Igbo man has ever been minster of the FCT?); and i could go on and on! [/b]

My saying that the Brits should have stayed a little while longer before leaving to assist all regions/ethnicities settle in...this in no way implies that i feel colonialism is better than self-rule. But when self-rule is of the kind Ndigbo have faced in 'one Nigeria'...that has led to bloodshed and the decimation of our fortunes, i think i'll take the Brits oppression over that of the local one any day!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by slimthugchimee2(m): 12:51am On Mar 26, 2019
AuntLaVIV:

If the colonial masters never ventured into Africa, the black race and Nigeria in particular would still be killing twins, Nigeria would still remain a place where humans walk around unclad, Nigeria would still be a country where you can't differentiate between monkeys and humans.

Black race should be grateful to Europeans for coming to our rescue. God used them to save Africa.

By 1925 the Europeans have already established DMGS Onitsha.

Lol this is actually stupid and funny

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by AlNur: 3:24pm On Mar 27, 2019
Putting ashpalt on the now completed bridge over Ike River on the Nenwe-Oduma-Uburu FG road project, which I attracted a few years ago. This area was once thought an impossible terrain, but the road is now a dream come true, connecting Enugu and Ebonyi food baskets. https:///r7O5MkzHMf

Ike just tweeted this afternoon.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by signz: 6:10pm On Mar 27, 2019
It'll be easier for a Carmel to pass their the eye of a needle than for Igbos to get Biafra with a favourable trade agreement with a Nigeria that'll be antagonistic to us. Let's not forget,we don't have access to the sea.

In the forseeable future, Nigeria will be restructured to work. Decades of bad economic policies, Buhari's addiction to debts and security challenges will force the leaders to restructure. We're already on our way to Greece and Venezuela type of economic problem, our creditors China, IMF, EU (because of illegal immigration), etc will step in and dictate how we'll run our economy and the economy can't be run successfully without restructuring.

But before then, we must put pressure on our governors to fix not just infrastructures, but our educational system. Few months back a top tech start up owner twitted about wanting to relocate to Enugu because Lagos is becoming uninhabitable, now what infrastructures are in place in Enugu to attract more techies? Enugu government can look for a way to attract telecoms company/ies that will lay fibre optic cables for fast and reliable internet, tax/duty incentives, clean environment with trees, lawns and flowers, etc.

I wish someone or people can open a radio station like Radio Biafra where OAPs will highlight/proofer solutions to the problems of Igboland, criticise governors who perform poorly, phone in programs. Let it be a pro restructuring and Igbos think of home kind of Radio station.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Xander85: 11:43pm On Mar 27, 2019
AlNur:
Putting ashpalt on the now completed bridge over Ike River on the Nenwe-Oduma-Uburu FG road project, which I attracted a few years ago. This area was once thought an impossible terrain, but the road is now a dream come true, connecting Enugu and Ebonyi food baskets. https:///r7O5MkzHMf

Ike just tweeted this afternoon.

What contractor is doing these projects? They look solid and nice!

Enugu (both Ugwuanyi and Ekweremadu projects) always seems to have good contractors doing their roads.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by signz: 11:44am On Apr 11, 2019
Xander85:
Train waiting to evacuate cement at Nkalagu cement factory.

Anyone know if train tracks still extend up to Nkalagu today? I know for sure there's no train service, so there's no point asking! sad

What's the latest with Nkalagu cement and Ibeto?

Or rather why hasn't Ibeto started producing cement in Nkalagu?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Digitron: 2:30pm On Apr 13, 2019
Update on the Enugu Specialist hospital Orba

The first phase of the 200 bedded Specialist Hospital located in a wide Acre of land owned by ovoko, Iheaka, Imilike and Orba is 90% complete. The asphalt pathways in the facility has been awarded and contractor set to mobilize to site.
The specialist hospital facility is a four phased construction.
The second phase which will include Doctors Quarters, medical Student Hostels etc is set to commence once the remnant 10% of the first phase is completed.

Apologies for the low picture qualities

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by B2mario(m): 3:31pm On Apr 13, 2019
Digitron:
Update on the Enugu Specialist hospital Orba

The first phase of the 200 bedded Specialist Hospital located in a wide Acre of land owned by ovoko, Iheaka, Imilike and Orba is 90% complete. The asphalt pathways in the facility has been awarded and contractor set to mobilize to site.
The specialist hospital facility is a four phased construction.
The second phase which will include Doctors Quarters, medical Student Hostels etc is set to commence once the remnant 10% of the first phase is completed.

Apologies for the low picture qualities
Kai, poor building

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (599) (600) (601) (602) (603) (604) (605) ... (714) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.