Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1783698 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ZUBY77(m): 7:58am On Nov 30, 2012
james_ibor: @Odenigbo and Bandit, why not keep d contest simple and devoid of name calling.

@Bandit, why not let's start by listing our first teams, here goes for Anambra;

ANAMBRA STATE

Odumegwu Ojukwu

Chinua Achebe

Emeka Anyaoku

Chimamanda Adichie

Cardinal Arinze

Philip Emeagwali

Alex Ekwueme

Dora Akunyili

Chinyelu Onwura (Labour Party MP, UK)

Chuka Umunna (Labour party MP, UK)

Charles Soludo

Oby Ezekwesili

Cosmas Maduka (Coscharis)

Cletus Ibeto

Emeka Offor

Mikel Obi

P square

Nnamdi Azikiwe

Nwafor Orizu (Nigeria's 1st senate presido)

Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu (1st African multi millionaire)

Chike Obi

Kenneth Dike (1st Nigerian VC of a university UI)

Ben Enweonwu

Pius Okigbo

Chuba Okadigbo

Jerome Udoji

Cyprian Ekwensi

Osita Osadebe

Oliver de Coque

Augustine Ilodibe (Ekene DiliChukwu)

Samuel Okoye etc

Over to you. No name calling please I'm neutral here and just want to learn.

N/B: I agree with the topic, Enugu is d pride of the east who no like am make e go hug wet transformer grin grin

Great individuals but since the context here is the cities and not individuals,
How does these listed names make Anambra more beautiful than Lagos, PH, Enugu, Abuja or even Calabar and Owerri. You will have to wait until the topic turns to ' which state has the most popular individual' Which i am sure Anambra will win

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by henrychubayo: 3:06pm On Nov 30, 2012
The report i got few day ago is that the Enugu International airport and Owerre airport will both be commissioned before the end of this year. They would commission it for people to use before xmas celebrations. Good move and good step for easterners. We now have 25 days before the date of the celebration but from what i saw in the pictures, it seems not all is well in fact i doubt whether everything will be ready by then. My advice is that instead of rushing it to just please our people, let them build standard structures in the new terminal being constructed. We need quality and not quantity in as much as we need it soon. In view of things happening in 9ja in recent years, time frame of this project may not matter but the durability matters a lot to us.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 3:40pm On Nov 30, 2012
ZUBY77:

Great individuals but since the context here is the cities and not individuals,
How does these listed names make Anambra more beautiful than Lagos, PH, Enugu, Abuja or even Calabar and Owerri. You will have to wait until the topic turns to ' which state has the most popular individual' Which i am sure Anambra will win

The irony is that at least half of the people in that list of popular Anambra people either have lived, live, or own a house in Enugu, just on the top of my head I know Chinua Achebe, Mikel Obi, and Chimamanda (born there, but lives in Nsukka) all have houses in Enugu city.

People on the internet need to stop being so oafish. Every Igbo person sees Enugu as a place for all Igbo people since the Udi miners of the early part of the first century, till the new migrants of today. There's a reason why Col. Ojukwu, and "Anambra" individual chose Enugu as the capital of Biafra.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chino24: 4:15pm On Nov 30, 2012
^

It is not true. Ojukwu didnt choose enugu as the capital, it was already the capital before the war. Afterwards the same Ojukwu moved the Biafran airports to Uga and Uli. Which made some analysts to believed that he could have moved the capital towards Nnewi-Ihialla axis once the war was won. Most of those Anambrans were born and brought in Anambra state. The likes of Chike Obi, Cardinal Arinze, Emeka Anyaoku, Peter Obi, Achebe and so many others were all born in Onitsha. Enugu use to be administrative center for the SE but that was before, not anymore. Most of the investments and real estate development done by Anambrans in the recent years, most especially since 1991 were being done in Anambra. The foremost unity colleges in the SE were all in Anambra precisely Onitsha and Awka: like the CKC, DMGS, QRC and Igwebuike Grammer School Awka. These schools produced some of the best and brightest brains we have now in SE and Nigeria at large. Peter Obi, Pat Utomi are both products of CKC and DMGS respective. Joy Emordi is a product of QRC also in Onitsha.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 4:28pm On Nov 30, 2012
The point is when a rich Igbo wants to move to a city (in eastern Nigeria) his first choices are either Enugu and Port Harcourt, then Owerri, and maybe Asaba. Onicha and Anambra in general may be economically larger than everyone else (nobody is arguing that), but Enugu has a higher level of liveability and is always considered the capital in some sense.

And if there was a city better for the capital of Biafra, it would have been chosen in the first place.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 30, 2012
That ogbete/old park area needs a clean up. I think all the commercial or inter state parks within the city should be relocated to the outskirts.
It will decongest that area and even encourage owners of the transport companies to build modern parks.
It may be a loss to enugu north LGA, but this is highly needed at this point.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chino24: 9:08pm On Nov 30, 2012
ezeagu: The point is when a rich Igbo wants to move to a city (in eastern Nigeria) his first choices are either Enugu and Port Harcourt, then Owerri, and maybe Asaba. Onicha and Anambra in general may be economically larger than everyone else (nobody is arguing that), but Enugu has a higher level of liveability and is always considered the capital in some sense.

And if there was a city better for the capital of Biafra, it would have been chosen in the first place.

Livability indeed?

Why don't you guys go back there and live and stop flooding Onitsha, Lagos and PH causing nuisance all over the place. The last I checked 97% of people at Drug market Onitsha all come from your place. FYI: most of the people that returned from the north either moved to PH, Onitsha or lagos, non moved to your so called 'livable' town.

enugu state is neither the capital of the east nor the pride of the east. Get it straight into your subconscious nigger.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 30, 2012
Chino,you're a big fool.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 9:54pm On Nov 30, 2012
if someone is returning from the north, odds are livability isn't one of their criteria for settlement.
It's sad to see Onitcha ppl in here spreading jealousy at Enugu. Enugu is the finest city in the east if don't count PH, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you're not from Enugu it's ok, there's no reason for your home to be celebrated all the time, let someone else shine too. Anambra is a strong state, nobody is doubting that and saying Enugu is good isn't an insult to Anambra.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chino24: 9:57pm On Nov 30, 2012
Ikengawo: if someone is returning from the north, odds are livability isn't one of their criteria for settlement.
It's sad to see Onitcha ppl in here spreading jealousy at Enugu. Enugu is the finest city in the east if don't count PH, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you're not from Enugu it's ok, there's no reason for your home to be celebrated all the time, let someone else shine too. Anambra is a strong state, nobody is doubting that and saying Enugu is good isn't an insult to Anambra.

I concur nwanne..
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nightshift(m): 10:05pm On Nov 30, 2012
Chino, what's the name of your home town? I would like to compare it with mine - Akpugo in Nkanu West LGA, Enugu State. When Enugu fell to federal troops, Biafra capital was moved to other towns in Igboland including Umuahia. Of course, Ojukwu had some prejudice against WAWA Ndigbo but later married one - Bianca Onoh. Achebe, Azikiwe, etc found peace and tranquillity in present Enugu State. Do you think those prominent Ndigbo were fools? Chino, is your hometown in Anambra State more developed, does it have more millionaires than my hometown in Enugu State? Once more, where are you from?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chino24: 10:20pm On Nov 30, 2012
^

Hahahahahha

Where is Akpugo?

You should be asking me if my town in Anambra has more millionaires than your entire state and not the other way round nwanne.. cheesy grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 10:32pm On Nov 30, 2012
Chino better learn it today that Anambra people live more in other Igbo States than other Igbos in Anambra. The only other people like Anambra people are Orlu people in Imo State who are everywhere selling pharmaceuticals. Anambra are everywhere selling spare parts. Even in Kafanchan and Congo. Apart from Orlu people tell me of any Oguta man or Owerri man living in Onitsha. They can't be more than 5.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nightshift(m): 10:37pm On Nov 30, 2012
chino24: ^

Hahahahahha

Where is Akpugo?

You should be asking me if my town in Anambra has more millionaires than your entire state and not the other way round nwanne.. cheesy grin
OK! Name your hometown. I'm sure you don't know where Akpugo is. Ask Joe Nwankwu, FGN Okoye, Arthur Eze, they once owned Orient Bank majority shares with an Akpugo man. Or ask Eddy Onyeze(Dumdum Umuoji). Who ownes Madonna Uni at Okija? Who was the first Igbo IG of Nigeria police? Alo Aluminium? Nneji electrical at Aba? Apart from Nnewi and Awka Etiti, no Anambra State town has more millionaires than Akpugo in Enugu State. We produced 2 former military governors and partially control Alaba Electronic market. Alo aluminium is building a 5 billion Naira aluminium coils manufacturing co. @ Emene Enugu. In 1985,then governor Ike Nwachukwu opened an Akpugo man owned hotel @ Aba. Not forgetting Nwobodo Rangers. Akpugo akwulugo!!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chino24: 10:50pm On Nov 30, 2012
Abagworo: Chino better learn it today that Anambra people live more in other Igbo States than other Igbos in Anambra. The only other people like Anambra people are Orlu people in Imo State who are everywhere selling pharmaceuticals. Anambra are everywhere selling spare parts. Even in Kafanchan and Congo. Apart from Orlu people tell me of any Oguta man or Owerri man living in Onitsha. They can't be more than 5.

Imo people are all everywhere engaging in all manner of p/r/o/s/t/i/t/u/t/i/o/n. Anambra people maybe all over the place..but one can hardly find an Anambran anywhere near your imo state. I have too many Imo families living and either working or trading in Onitsha, they are uncountable, but one will be searching for an Anambran in your Imo state just like searching for a diamond.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 10:57pm On Nov 30, 2012
chino24:

Imo people are all everywhere engaging in all manner of p/r/o/s/t/i/t/u/t/i/o/n. Anambra people maybe all over the place..but one can hardly find an Anambran anywhere near your imo state. I have too many Imo families living and either working or trading in Onitsha, they are uncountable, but one will be searching for an Anambran in your Imo state just like searching for a diamond.

Mention one Oguta surname living in Anambra State and what the person is doing there. That's a challenge. You can as well mention one Owerri Nchise surname living in Anambra State. Our surnames are quite peculiar and easily traceable so I can easily verify. The only thing that can lead an Oguta man to Anambra is either forced civil service or NYSC.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chino24: 10:57pm On Nov 30, 2012
Nightshift: OK! Name your hometown. I'm sure you don't know where Akpugo is. Ask Joe Nwankwu, FGN Okoye, Arthur Eze, they once owned Orient Bank majority shares with an Akpugo man. Or ask Eddy Onyeze(Dumdum Umuoji). Who ownes Madonna Uni at Okija? Who was the first Igbo IG of Nigeria police? Alo Aluminium? Nneji electrical at Aba? Apart from Nnewi and Awka Etiti, no Anambra State town has more millionaires than Akpugo in Enugu State. We produced 2 former military governors and partially control Alaba Electronic market. Alo aluminium is building a 5 billion Naira aluminium coils manufacturing co. @ Emene Enugu. In 1985,then governor Ike Nwachukwu opened an Akpugo man owned hotel @ Aba. Not forgetting Nwobodo Rangers. Akpugo akwulugo!!

Hmmmmmm

Ezi okwu.. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Nwanne I di kwa too much oo.. grin grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chino24: 11:01pm On Nov 30, 2012
Abagworo:

Mention one Oguta surname living in Anambra State and what the person is doing there. That's a challenge. You can as well mention one Owerri Nchise surname living in Anambra State. Our surnames are quite peculiar and easily traceable so I can easily verify. The only thing that can lead an Oguta man to Anambra is either forced civil service or NYSC.

Okay..mention there names, cos I don't know the name you guys bear..

But what I want to confirm to you is that there are more if not (hunfreds of thousands) of Imo people living in Anambra than there are Anambrans anywhere near Imo state..that is a fact bro!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nightshift(m): 11:10pm On Nov 30, 2012
Chino, i've got extended family members married to Nnewi and Unubi(remember Egedege) women, but i can't accept your biased notion that Enugu people have no successful businessmen and women. Most of the new houses in Enugu are owned by Enugu new money guys - politicians, business people, and Enugu in diaspora. Which town control more money in Enugu state than Akpugo people? Non. Any Anambra man can boost of money, but not to an Akpugo man. Who be them?(as my Gambia friend would ask). Ozalla, Amuri, Agbani, Amechi Awknanaw have rich people as well
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chino24: 11:16pm On Nov 30, 2012
Nightshift: Chino, i've got extended family members married to Nnewi and Unubi(remember Egedege) women, but i can't accept your biased notion that Enugu people have no successful businessmen and women. Most of the new houses in Enugu are owned by Enugu new money guys - politicians, business people, and Enugu in diaspora. Which town control more money in Enugu state than Akpugo people? Non. Any Anambra man can boost of money, but not to an Akpugo man. Who be them?(as my Gambia friend would ask). Ozalla, Amuri, Agbani, Amechi Awknanaw have rich people as well

Nwanne I really appreciate your bringing to light things I never knew about Enugu state. Besides I never said that there are no successful businessmen from Enugu state. Afterwards the first private university (Madonna University) in Nigeria established in Anambra state was built by Father Ede an Enugu state man.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 11:20pm On Nov 30, 2012
chino24:

Okay..mention there names, cos I don't know the name you guys bear..

But what I want to confirm to you is that there are more if not (hunfreds of thousands) of Imo people living in Anambra than there are Anambrans anywhere near Imo state..that is a fact bro!

Since you don't know the names we bear, it means we are kind of scarce there. Okay Nwapa, Nzeribe and Oputa are examples. Ask any of those Imo people you see in Anambra and they'll tell you they are from Orlu/Nkwerre/Ideato area. Those people are everywhere like Anambra guys and are also engaged in successful trading .
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:24pm On Nov 30, 2012
^^^why do you engage this guy knowing that he is only trolling the hell out of this thread?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chino24: 11:32pm On Nov 30, 2012
Abagworo:

Since you don't know the names we bear, it means we are kind of scarce there. Okay Nwapa, Nzeribe and Oputa are examples. Ask any of those Imo people you see in Anambra and they'll tell you they are from Orlu/Nkwerre/Ideato area. Those people are everywhere like Anambra guys and are also engaged in successful trading .

You are not making any sense. Imo state is imo state, it does not matter which part of imo state they come from..

I can't even imagine myself looking at Nnewi man different from Umunze man or Uga man. We see ourselves here as one and the same: Anambra is Anambra we do not see each other differently, that is why we don't want any part of it to be carved out in the name of state creation.

Am from Uga and am proud of the exploits the Onitsha man is doing in the academic world: the likes of Azikiwe, Akpamgbo, Agbakoba, Chike Obi, Emeagwali..the list is long. Just like in Anambra we have business-based towns like Nnewi, Aguata, Ihiala, Agulu, etc. But areas like Onitsha, Otuocha, Ogbaru, Obosi, Oba, etc are the book worms and academic based towns in Anambra. You cannot see people from these towns engaging in any form of commerce.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nightshift(m): 11:33pm On Nov 30, 2012
chino24:

Hmmmmmm

Ezi okwu.. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Nwanne I di kwa too much oo.. grin grin
I know Anambra State more than you. I can mimic Njikoka dialect more than an Abagana man. My very good friend is from Enugu-Agidi. I grew up in Aba, schooled in Enugu and have successful business relatives at Onitsha Ado n'ide. Charlie Nnewi(Silas works Rd.) was the first Michelin Tires Ambassador in Onitsha, was a family friend. He was receiving 5 tires truck load(a week) from Michelin Co. Port-Harcourt in the 80s/early 90s. My family was actively involved @ Silas works Rd. No Igboman on Nairaland know Igboland more than me. I mean the towns and differences in cultures and dialects. Onye ka i bu?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nightshift(m): 11:41pm On Nov 30, 2012
chino24:

Nwanne I really appreciate your bringing to light things I never knew about Enugu state. Besides I never said that there are no successful businessmen from Enugu state. Afterwards the first private university (Madonna University) in Nigeria established in Anambra state was built by Father Ede an Enugu state man.
Nwannaa ka i bu! Olisa gozie umuigbo n'ile! Ije awele k'anyi gaa n'aga!!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chino24: 11:48pm On Nov 30, 2012
Nightshift: I know Anambra State more than you. I can mimic Njikoka dialect more than an Abagana man. My very good friend is from Enugu-Agidi. I grew up in Aba, schooled in Enugu and have successful business relatives at Onitsha Ado n'ide. Charlie Nnewi(Silas works Rd.) was the first Michelin Tires Ambassador in Onitsha, was a family friend. He was receiving 5 tires truck load(a week) from Michelin Co. Port-Harcourt in the 80s/early 90s. My family was actively involved @ Silas works Rd. No Igboman on Nairaland know Igboland more than me. I mean the towns and differences in cultures and dialects. Onye ka i bu?

You know Anambra more than me? Nwanne jili ya nwayoo .. cheesy

As much as I know you have a good knowledge of Anambra that does not make you to know my house more than me (jokes). I have only lived in about 4-5 Nigerian state: in this order: Abuja, Bonny, PH and now Awka, I have also visited other states but never lived, I have equally visited Enugu state several time, because I have a close friend from Amokwe in Udi. I was staying in PH in late 90s when Michelling was still working, by the time I visited PH around 2010 the company was already packed up.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nightshift(m): 11:59pm On Nov 30, 2012
chino24:

You know Anambra more than me? Nwanne jili ya nwayoo .. cheesy

As much as I know you have a good knowledge of Anambra that does not make you to know my house more than me (jokes). I have only lived in about 4-5 Nigerian state: in this order: Abuja, Bonny, PH and now Awka, I have also visited other states but never I was staying in PH when Michelling was still working when I went there around 2010 on a visit it was already packed up.
Michelin packed up due to electricity costs and Nigerian corruption culture. They made many umuigbo millionaires, especially some Nnewi people. My family was lucky, we had distributionship at Eastern Bulkcem Rumorumeni Port-Harcourt( Eagle cement). We were able to divert to our Gboko & PH connections when Michelin went bankrupt.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chino24: 12:07am On Dec 01, 2012
Nightshift: Michelin packed up due to electricity costs and Nigerian corruption culture. They made many umuigbo millionaires, especially some Nnewi people. My family was lucky, we had distributionship at Eastern Bulkcem Rumorumeni Port-Harcourt( Eagle cement). We were able to divert to our Gboko & PH connections when Michelin went bankrupt.

Atimes I wonder why government is killing businesses that employ the poor masses..

A day will come when Nigerians will react like the way Egptians and Tunisians did, if things are not put in good shape right now..

My cousin worked in Michelin, when the company shut down the guy was almost going craze, because he had to meet family obligations and all that. He is lucky now that he has got a job with Sabmiller in Onitsha after toiling for several years in since Michelin died.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nightshift(m): 12:11am On Dec 01, 2012
Chino, have you got money? I know Anambra people like Mercedes-Benz. I can get you a fine M class here in Germany. Are you interested? If yes, which model?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:14am On Dec 01, 2012
i like this exchange between chino and nightshift.
that is the type of exchange we should be having as brothers
onye si na ife na ato uto, o kwuo ife o na ato ka ya.

chino, ifugo na oburo soso ndi anambra na azu afia! cheesy
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 01, 2012
nightshift nwanne, i choo mercedes, ezitelum gi american spec! wink cheesy
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 12:20am On Dec 01, 2012
chino24:

Livability indeed?

Why don't you guys go back there and live and stop flooding Onitsha, Lagos and PH causing nuisance all over the place. The last I checked 97% of people at Drug market Onitsha all come from your place. FYI: most of the people that returned from the north either moved to PH, Onitsha or lagos, non moved to your so called 'livable' town.

enugu state is neither the capital of the east nor the pride of the east. Get it straight into your subconscious nigger.

Was I just called a nigger on nairaland by a so called Igbo person? You are truly a psychopath whether this is your real account or not.

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.