Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,103 members, 7,852,740 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 03:46 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (701) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1803444 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (698) (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) ... (706) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oilykid(m): 9:43am On May 17
christejames:

The second and third pix should be his decent visit to ANAMMCO facility but I don't know about the first and last...

Could it be in the New Enugu City, because he is wearing the helmet of the Chinese Company handling there.
Maybe anamco got awarded the contract for the 50 CNG bases to be used in enugu.

Roads are still being constructed in the new enugu city for now.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oilykid(m): 9:44am On May 17
Afam4eva:

Where will the city gate be located?
I think it's at naira triangle and the 9th mile side

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oilykid(m): 9:45am On May 17
Digitron:

Mbah is going to beat Sullivan by his third year.

What we are going to see is unparalleled.

My issue with Mbah is too empathetic and this is making him to not make some tough decisions.

But I have absolute trust that Enugu's time is now..
Which tough decisions 🤔
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oilykid(m): 9:48am On May 17
Afam4eva:

Does he plan un building a new one or upgrading the existing one. If he's building a new one and it's going to look like the warehouses in the name of airport that i've been seeing, then he shouldn't bother.
The international terminal is being handled by FG then the cargo section is think will be constructed by enugu state govt

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by LOVEALAIGBO: 12:09pm On May 17
oilykid:

Is ANAMCO still producing trucks and buses? They’ve not been heard of lately even with all this talk of CNG buses and mass transit.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by LOVEALAIGBO: 12:36pm On May 17
oilykid:

The international terminal is being handled by FG then the cargo section is think will be constructed by enugu state govt

I admire the optimism of anyone thinking the ‘federal gov’t’ will be interested in completing the international terminal at AIIA! Even if they do manage to recommence works at the terminal, they certainly wouldn’t give the construction the adequate funds and attention needed to finish it quickly and according to spec!

This terminal is important to the economy of Enugu in particular and the south-east in general, and the criminal neglect it faced over the ENTIRE 8 year tenure of Buhari and his sidekick Hadi-Sirika is just one example of how our people and region are being cheated by greedy and bigoted hegemonic schmucks whose main purpose in life seems to be undermining Igbo economic and political interests!

In 2015, Buhari and Hadi-Sirika met 5 international terminals at roughly the same level of completion. And they proceeded to finish 4….even taking the time to approve extra funds to improve the design and scope of work on the 4 terminals! They finished all 4, which are now in use, but left just one untouched, and left it to to gather cobwebs and dust! There’s no prizes for guessing which one they ignored!

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by proeast(m): 12:49pm On May 17
Digitron:
Ugwuaji Road Reconstruction

What the hell, is that the dust bowl? The scenery looks like Dafur region🥱

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by christejames(m): 2:48pm On May 17
Afam4eva:

Where will the city gate be located?

One at 9th Mile axis and the other at the Naira Triangle Axis.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 3:28pm On May 17
Digitron:

International conference centre.
International Airport Terminal
Roads
15 Health centres
Over 100 Smart schsools.
Transport terminal.
Rangers Hospital.

Up next.
Special Agro-processing Zone at Owo (FG/AfDB/ENSG partnership)

Enugu has a working international airport that can help make the city famous for conferences, fun, and tourism. If Governor Mba finishes the Enugu International Conference Center and makes the area pretty with palm trees and flowers, he would do a lot to boost tourism in Enugu.

The biggest problem with the previous governor was that he focused too much on markets. While markets are good, they are not Enugu's best feature. Enugu's best feature is tourism!

If we have governors who focus on developing tourism by building big convention centers, Igbo history museums, fun parks, and organizing major festivals every three months, they can make the most of the international airport. This will bring many people to the city for different activities. Instead of trying to get people to come to Enugu just to shop, which is not the city's strong point, focusing on tourism will be more successful.

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PDPGuy: 3:57pm On May 17
LOVEALAIGBO:

I admire the optimism of anyone thinking the ‘federal gov’t’ will be interested in completing the international terminal at AIIA! Even if they do manage to recommence works at the terminal, they certainly wouldn’t give the construction the adequate funds and attention needed to finish it quickly and according to spec!

This terminal is important to the economy of Enugu in particular and the south-east in general, and the criminal neglect it faced over the ENTIRE 8 year tenure of Buhari and his sidekick Hadi-Sirika is just one example of how our people and region are being cheated by greedy and bigoted hegemonic schmucks whose main purpose in life seems to be undermining Igbo economic and political interests!

In 2015, Buhari and Hadi-Sirika met 5 international terminals at roughly the same level of completion. And they proceeded to finish 4….even taking the time to approve extra funds to improve the design and scope of work on the 4 terminals! They finished all 4, which are now in use, but left just one untouched, and left it to to gather cobwebs and dust! There’s no prizes for guessing which one they ignored!

The best course of action would be for ENSG to apply to the FG to concession the entire airport to the state (and a reputable company with experience in managing airports). With the airport out of the hands of the FG, I am willing to bet that the airport’s infrastructure would always be maintained and improved on time.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oilykid(m): 4:27pm On May 17
LOVEALAIGBO:

Is ANAMCO still producing trucks and buses? They’ve not been heard of lately even with all this talk of CNG buses and mass transit.
They are still producing.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Digitron: 6:06pm On May 17
oilykid:

Which tough decisions 🤔

A lot of politicians own lands on government lands. They need to be demolished.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Digitron: 6:08pm On May 17
igwebuike01:

He should first build a special market for phone and computer dealers

I think so too.
A visionary LGA chairman should have taught of this too.

Imagine having an Nsukka Tech Village somewhere in Beach Junction or even at Amogbo.

I miss my man Tony Ugwu

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Digitron: 6:08pm On May 17
igwebuike01:

Okay. That will be good. But nothing to show for now. Even the few roads are below standard

These are street roads. Chill
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Digitron: 6:10pm On May 17
LOVEALAIGBO:

Commendable! You know how all this will be funded?

PPP.

Most of these projects will be funded by private investors with government owning small equity.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by LOVEALAIGBO: 7:37pm On May 17
Digitron:

True! And this is the same in every state capital, where you see former high-ranking gov’t officials living in GRAs on lands or properties bought from the state gov’t for way below the market price!

One thing i noticed in Enugu city is that almost all the colonial public buildings and large homes made of brick that we used to see in GRA and the secretariat have all been sold off to gov’t and ex-gov’t officials who then proceeded to knock them down and replace them with the usual tasteless ‘mansions’ that have no character or history! All this takes away that colonial and historic feel Enugu was known for!

I vaguely remember those nice commissioner’s quarters built by the Israelis in independence layout during the M I Okpara years. They’re all gone now! They were long, had this modern 60s look about them, and had large glass windows that let in a lot of sunlight that brightened the rooms! I think they were built same time as the state house, parliament building and hotel presidential! These buildings gave Enugu a sense of history and character that it’s fast losing!

Ugwuanyi also ruined those colonial buildings at Ekulu primary school in the name of ‘renovation’! Now if you go there, there’s hardly anything that points to its age and colonial past! He ruined the headmistresses office building and the adjoining hall that was used for morning assembly during the colonial era when the school pupil population was small enough to use it.

This is why buildings of historic value are given listed status and protected from demolition in the UK!

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by christejames(m): 7:42pm On May 17
Digitron:

I think so too.
A visionary LGA chairman should have taught of this too.

Imagine having an Nsukka Tech Village somewhere in Beach Junction or even at Amogbo.

I miss my man Tony Ugwu

You are well informed about it... I hope the govt also looks towards that direction.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oilykid(m): 9:58pm On May 17
Digitron:

Then he should do it then since he is the governor
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unbiased1: 10:40pm On May 17
oilykid:

Does any one have any update on the New Enugu City project? The project sounds like a very futuristic one.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unbiased1: 10:58pm On May 17
LOVEALAIGBO:
Hope they plan ahead and incorporate space for any future plans for rail!

Given the huge scale of demolition going on, i think it’s a safe bet that the terminals will be built! What we can’t be sure of yet is the quality: will it be world-class and built by a reputable construction coy…or will it look cheap, pretentious and be built by local contractors using wheelbarrow, shovel and headpan! If i don’t see a crane being used for what we’re told is a massive project, then i’ll assume the later will be the case!

Anyone know if they’ve released details of the project yet? I mean, cost, chosen contractor and 3-D rendering?

I heard the contractor handling the terminals is the same contractor that built the Oshodi Terminal in Lagos.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oilykid(m): 12:11am On May 18
Unbiased1:

Does any one have any update on the New Enugu City project? The project sounds like a very futuristic one.
I'm not in enugu but they are still doing road constructions. It's being handled by cecc
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Rareoil(m): 4:06am On May 18
oilykid:
Construction starting this month. Similar thing will be built at 9th mile and nsukka.
Roban stores is currently building their shopping outlet in nsukka plus they already have 5 outlets in enugu too.
Work continues in enugu new city being handled by cecc
Presidential holiday and conference center is currently under going massive renovations.
Special agro processing zone in three zones is Nigeria is already proposed, not sure work have started.
Smart schools and pHC is currently being Constructed in some of the wards.
Enugu stadium is about to under massive remodeling to meet international as enugu will be hosting international competition there.
Work is on going in enugu international Airport wing
United airlines wants to make enugu their hub.
Many internal roads are currently being constructed in enugu.

If you have any other info, kindly drop it here

Seeing all these happen in 1 year makes me hate gburu gburu even more for wasting 8 solid years doing nothing.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oilykid(m): 8:08am On May 18
Rareoil:

Seeing all these happen in 1 year makes me hate gburu gburu even more for wasting 8 solid years doing nothing.
Gburus was the worst thing that happened to enugu
Mbah is trying to change enugu especially the city. I think I understand very well what he is trying to do
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by signz: 8:00pm On May 18
LOVEALAIGBO:

True! And this is the same in every state capital, where you see former high-ranking gov’t officials living in GRAs on lands or properties bought from the state gov’t for way below the market price!

One thing i noticed in Enugu city is that almost all the colonial public buildings and large homes made of brick that we used to see in GRA and the secretariat have all been sold off to gov’t and ex-gov’t officials who then proceeded to knock them down and replace them with the usual tasteless ‘mansions’ that have no character or history! All this takes away that colonial and historic feel Enugu was known for!

I vaguely remember those nice commissioner’s quarters built by the Israelis in independence layout during the M I Okpara years. They’re all gone now! They were long, had this modern 60s look about them, and had large glass windows that let in a lot of sunlight that brightened the rooms! I think they were built same time as the state house, parliament building and hotel presidential! These buildings gave Enugu a sense of history and character that it’s fast losing!

Ugwuanyi also ruined those colonial buildings at Ekulu primary school in the name of ‘renovation’! Now if you go there, there’s hardly anything that points to its age and colonial past! He ruined the headmistresses office building and the adjoining hall that was used for morning assembly during the colonial era when the school pupil population was small enough to use it.

This is why buildings of historic value are protected from demolition in the UK and given heritage status!

Wish i could like this post 5000 times.

Not just the buildings, the trees that Enugu was known for are almost gone. I grew up in old GRA, most of us learnt how to climb trees by climbing Mango trees that was in almost every compound. Went there the last time i was in Enugu 2022, most (if not all) of the mango trees are gone. We've sold most of our parks that the colonial masters left for us.

The problem of Enugu State (Nigeria) is that we have Low quality evil elites.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by igwebuike01: 9:05pm On May 18
oilykid:

Gburus was the worst thing that happened to enugu
Mbah is trying to change enugu especially the city. I think I understand very well what he is trying to do
Enugu state doesn't end in Enugu city. Gburu beat Sullivan in rural projects

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OnyeAshuaUru: 9:37pm On May 18
igwebuike01:

Enugu state doesn't end in Enugu city. Gburu beat Sullivan in rural projects
We are reaching for a new low in governance in Enugu State when an administration that towards the end of its first year has left no positive mark on the lives of its people but could unleash a herd of sycophants to bleat about "ongoing heavy demolitions everywhere", cosmetic works on some streets in one or two LGAs out of the 17, inspection visit to a FG airport project that has been abandoned for over eight years, and other mention of billions on some crooked and/or just-conceived projects as evidence of a working administration. Not even the famous initial gragra attributed to new administrations across Nigeria could produce a single tangible project, and it makes you wonder from what specie of weed the chaps rating Peter Mba above his equally-mediocre predecessor draws their inspiration from. Peter Mba is only better than Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi in triggering a bigoted horde to rise to his defense anytime his apparent failure becomes a subject of discussion. At least, with Ugwuanyi, we only had Louis Amoke to contend with.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by igwebuike01: 9:56pm On May 18
OnyeAshuaUru:

We are reaching for a new low in governance in Enugu State when an administration that is almost in its 100th day has left no positive mark on the lives of its people but could unleash a herd of sycophants to bleat about "ongoing heavy demolitions everywhere", cosmetic works on some streets in one or two LGAs out of the 17, inspection visit to a FG airport project that has been abandoned for over eight years, and other mention of billions on some crooked and/or just-conceived projects as evidence of a working administration. Not even the famous initial gragra attributed to new administrations across Nigeria could produce a single tangible project, and it makes you wonder from what specie of weed the chaps rating Peter Mba above his equally-mediocre predecessor draws their inspiration from. Peter Mba is only better than Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi in triggering a bigoted horde to rise to his defense anytime his apparent failure becomes a subject of discussion. At least, with Ugwuanyi, we only had Louis Amoke to contend with.

Nkanu people are trying so hard in vain to whitewash their cluelessness son.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OnyeAshuaUru: 10:14pm On May 18
igwebuike01:

There's a particular guy in this thread who is hawking this agenda like an urban almajiri. Dude is so fixated on rating Mba above Ugwuanyi that he is consistently replying himself just so his unreasonable comparison could gain traction. He is the same guy listing all active, dead, and illusory projects as handiwork of an administration that has recorded catastrophic failure even in its most hyped pledge to fix Enugu's water problem.
At the end of it all, the collapse of public school system in Enugu continues to endure (no one sends their kids to a public school in Enugu again), the healthcare system is nothing to write home about (the PHC in my village is locked), and even Ebonyi State is now rated above Enugu in some HDIs (if you doubt me, check the statistics).
Mind you, all these are not happening because Enugu lacks school buildings (the primary school that my sister heads has 3 big halls but zero pupil), yet Peter Mba's idea of transforming the state's educational system is sharing money with his pals to construct new classrooms in the name of "smart schools".
What a clueless (--or rather, crooked) sod!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Digitron: 10:18pm On May 18
igwebuike01:

We should not descend to this low.

We can discuss Mbah's success and failure without clannish colouration.

We shouldnt go this route please
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Digitron: 10:19pm On May 18
OnyeAshuaUru:

We are reaching for a new low in governance in Enugu State when an administration that is almost in its 100th day has left no positive mark on the lives of its people but could unleash a herd of sycophants to bleat about "ongoing heavy demolitions everywhere", cosmetic works on some streets in one or two LGAs out of the 17, inspection visit to a FG airport project that has been abandoned for over eight years, and other mention of billions on some crooked and/or just-conceived projects as evidence of a working administration. Not even the famous initial gragra attributed to new administrations across Nigeria could produce a single tangible project, and it makes you wonder from what specie of weed the chaps rating Peter Mba above his equally-mediocre predecessor draws their inspiration from. Peter Mba is only better than Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi in triggering a bigoted horde to rise to his defense anytime his apparent failure becomes a subject of discussion. At least, with Ugwuanyi, we only had Louis Amoke to contend with.

What are your expectations from Mbah's administration?

Let's start from there
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OnyeAshuaUru: 10:21pm On May 18
Digitron:

What are your expectations from Mbah's administration?

Let's start from there
Check my last comment, Sir

Are you not concerned about how low our state has continued to descend when it comes to HDIs? It's a shocking thing to me that those who should know better are busy clapping for another do-nothing administration in Enugu. Very soon, they will start posting pictures of roofs in Independence Layout as evidence of a working administration while the rest of the state rot away in squalor. It's a shameful thing that our measure of development has become the houses of people who probably left Enugu to hustle in other states or abroad because of perennial dearth of economic opportunities.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Digitron: 10:25pm On May 18
oilykid:

Then he should do it then since he is the governor

Not as easy as you think.

For instance, some lands around ICC was recovered recently from some people. One of the people affected is Joe Mamel, a former commissioner for Tourism

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (698) (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) ... (706) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.