Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,126 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun (10495 Views)

NUC Approves New University For Imo As Gov Okorocha Receives License (pics) / Photos Of A Snake Killed In FUPRE Campus / The Best University In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by FSU: 3:10am On Jul 02, 2012
Anyaoku, Utomi, others to grace launch of Jesuit University in Africa
News Saturday, June 30, 2012
By BENJAMIN NJOKU

Former Secretary-General of Commonwealth, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, Professor Pat Utomi and Abike Dabiri-Erewa will be among the dignitaries that will grace the fund raising dinner for the establishment of the first ever Jesuit University in Africa, to be known as Loyola Jesuit University (LJU).

The dinner, which holds on Friday, July 6, 2012, at the Muson Centre, Onikan, Lagos, will also be attended by other eminent Nigerians, the clergy, royal fathers as well as some ministers and state governors.

Speaking ahead of the launch of the university, Provincial Superior of the ANW Jesuits, Very Rev. Fr. Jude Odiaka, SJ said LJU will become the first Jesuit University in Africa.

According to him, the university will be a multi-campus institution with the School of Business Management and Social Sciences in Ogbere, Ogun State; the School of Agriculture and Veterinary Science in Ewatto, Edo State; and the School of Engineering and Applied Natural Sciences in Ngor Okpala, Imo State. The development of these campuses will accordingly, be in three phases.

"Loyola Jesuit College [LJC] is becoming a fast-selling brand even beyond the shores of Nigeria. Less than twenty years old, the school has constantly won a top place in the West African School Certificate Examinations (WASCE) as well as garnered other numerous awards for excellence in science, mathematics, and sports.

“Several alumni of LJC have also excelled in various fields of learning at leading universities around the world, including: Harvard, Princeton, Georgetown, Fordham, Stanford, Oxford, Imperial College, Santa Clara, and many others. Owing to the resounding success of the school and the litany of achievements of its students and alumni, many Nigerians have long besieged the Jesuits (the owners of LJC) with requests to open a tertiary institution in Nigeria of the standard of LJC for a holistic formation of our youths."

"In response, the Jesuits of North-West Africa (ANW) province now plans to start in 2015 our first university in Nigeria with the name, Loyola Jesuit University (LJU)." Rev. Fr. Odiaka stated.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/jun/30/316.html
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by FSU: 3:11am On Jul 02, 2012
What about one for our christian northern brothers? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by ektbear: 4:06am On Jul 02, 2012
Nice development.

But I'd rather have the engineering school than useless social sciences
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by ektbear: 4:08am On Jul 02, 2012
If their high school is anything to by, within a very short time this will be one of the better universities in Nigeria.
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by fagamite: 4:13am On Jul 02, 2012
http://www.loyolajesuit.org/result_stats.htm

Nice result. No A1 in English. lowly rated Adesoye students do better.
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by ektbear: 4:22am On Jul 02, 2012
FSU: What I wonder is, how were the decisions made where to locate what? Who made the decision?
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by FSU: 4:30am On Jul 02, 2012
^^^^^
This is a private university and the proprietors decide what goes. By the way, how did Oyedepo and the other private university owners decide where they sited their own schools?

3 Likes

Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by Nobody: 4:31am On Jul 02, 2012
welcome development
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by ektbear: 4:36am On Jul 02, 2012
FSU: ^^^^^
This is a private university and the proprietors decide what goes. By the way, how did Oyedepo and the other private university owners decide where they sited their own schools?

Right. But the proprietor, unless I am mistaken, is the "Jesuits of North West Africa."

So by what process did the Jesuits of North West Africa decide to locate the most valuable item of this university (the engineering school) in Imo State?

Regarding your own question, I have no clue.
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by FSU: 4:42am On Jul 02, 2012
^^^^
Will you be happier if your so-called most valuable item (Engineering campus) is sited elsewhere say in Ogun State, rather than in Imo?
If you do not know how Oyedepo, Adebayo and co decided where to site their schools despite a good number of their students being from elwhere, what then does it mean to you how the owners of the proposed university decide on theirs? And by the way, who says people from Ogun should not study engineering in the Imo campus?

5 Likes

Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by ektbear: 4:46am On Jul 02, 2012
FSU: ^^^^
Will you be happier if your so-called most valuable item (Engineering campus) is sited elsewhere say in Ogun State, rather than in Imo?

yes, i will be much happier if it is in Ogun State

Imo can have social sciences, give us engineering
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by ektbear: 5:08am On Jul 02, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing anyone of ill intentions here.

After all, a university is a university. I am just curious, what went into their decision regarding what should be built where?

An innocent question.
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by zangiff(m): 7:36am On Jul 02, 2012
grin
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by ZE: 7:49am On Jul 02, 2012
Imo State is still the most educationally advantaged state in Nigeria. I believe it will be easier to assemble the finest lectures in Engineering and Natural sciences in Imo state. So dont question the decision to site the school of Engineering in Imo State, the authorities must have done their home work very well.

2 Likes

Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by blacklion(m): 7:53am On Jul 02, 2012
Bad belle pipul! cheesy

Jelosi go kill una wink

Up great Ala-Igbo! grin grin grin

BTW, what is the proportion of Yoruba in the Catholic church in Nigeria? Less than 5% of the active membership; it is only in Cotonou that you see Yoruba Catholics in great numbers. Igbo and Edo/Delta are the bedrock of the Catholic church in Nigeria - Ndi-Igbo alone are more than 50% of Catholic faithful in Nigeria so its only fair that the engineering school go to great Ala-Igbo.

After all, Ajayi Crowther University which was originally conceived as belonging to the entire Anglican Church ended up being located in the southwest and controlled by the local diocese there - which is fair enough really considering that Yoruba are the majority in the Anglican church. LJU are even being generous in siting a branch of the school in Ogunsmiley

3 Likes

Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by lovelymind(m): 7:59am On Jul 02, 2012
yes, i will be much happier if it is in Ogun State

Imo can have social sciences, give us engineering

See ur head***** even ask them to bring it to ur fathers house

1 Like

Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by Aifey(m): 8:01am On Jul 02, 2012
4me, d piper dictats d torn. Moreover, any1 can study anywhre. All we owe him is an applous.
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by linkin8k(m): 8:07am On Jul 02, 2012
Does it really matter where the campuses are sited? Shouldn't the main concern be quality? And based on their Secondary institution the university should be good.

We are so insatiable in this NL, always finding something to complain about

1 Like

Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by Francuiz: 8:08am On Jul 02, 2012
Na wah 4 una oo NLders. When will dis division in 9ja stop. Is it a crime 2 site d engr campus in Imo?
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by samguru(m): 8:22am On Jul 02, 2012
the proliferation of privately owned universities will do no good to the tertiary education in nigeria,if you watch carefully u discover dt ever since d debut of private university in nigeria,government attention and contribution to government owned institutions are on decline (people are loosing confidence in public school) .
my fellow nairalanders and lovers of nigeria the establishment of private university is another way of consolidating the dichotomy that exist between the rich and poor,cos most of these universities are beyond the reach of the poor.
lets us condemn this gesture so that public school can garner the needed attention from both the private and public space
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by wandeay: 8:30am On Jul 02, 2012
thumbs up, i love d setting, thank God bokos hav no share
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by bright007(f): 8:33am On Jul 02, 2012
Why has tribalism eaten deep into our veins?
This has really become an unbecoming.
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by gentotega: 8:54am On Jul 02, 2012
@ekt bear and co... una foolish oo. A gud project like this is coming to Nigeria and pple are here selling ur foolishness about y dis campus has to b here and y dt campus has to b der
@ekt bear especially, for u to even classify social science courses as useless shows that u nor go sch far; u nt beta dan an illiterate

@Samguru, i tink establishing more private universities is good bt measures shld b put in place to make sure that they meet the required standard... It is only in Nigeria that one has to write @least two exams (and paying bribe as in the case of public universities) b4 bin granted admission
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by PaulJohn1: 9:01am On Jul 02, 2012
ekt_bear: Nice development.

But I'd rather have the engineering school than useless social sciences

Bros calm down now. You've got the best institutions in your region, from private to public higher institutions.

You have the leading private schools already in Ogun state alone, not to talk of other s/west states.
-Babcock
-Covenant
-Redeemers(Now moving to Ede in Osun state)
-Crawford
-Crescent
In other states in the same region:
-Bowen (Osun)
-Leadcity (Oyo)
-Caleb (Lagos)
-Jabu (Osun)
-Open University (Lagos)
-Afebabalola (Ekiti)
-Fountain (Osun)
-Adeleke (Osun)
-Odudua uni (Osun)
-Anchor (To be opened this September in Lagos)
-King (To be opened later this year in Osun)
And these ones not enough? You should be grateful you even have a branch in your region.
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by jenuel: 9:14am On Jul 02, 2012
Well done Fr Odiaka. We should start talking about issues in NL and not pettiness.
Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by Dhelake: 9:26am On Jul 02, 2012
ZE: Imo State is still the most educationally advantaged state in Nigeria. I believe it will be easier to assemble the finest lectures in Engineering and Natural sciences in Imo state. So dont question the decision to site the school of Engineering in Imo State, the authorities must have done their home work very well.
Educationally Advan wat? If i hear, your FUTO is nt even the best uni of tech in Nig

1 Like

Re: 'Multi-campus Jesuit University In Africa' For Imo, Edo & Ogun by Afam4eva(m): 9:33am On Jul 02, 2012
ekt_bear: Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing anyone of ill intentions here.

After all, a university is a university. I am just curious, what went into their decision regarding what should be built where?

An innocent question.
You shouldn't be surprised if the three campuses were located in Igboland because if you've not noticed, it's a catholic school and the man should be commended for taking two campuses outside the south-east. Igbos are always playing the one-Nigeria role more than any group in this country. I expect Gbawe to take me on on this.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UNILAG TRANSCRIPT (student Copy) / 2015/2016 Obafemi Awolowo University Post UTME Result Is Out: Check It Here / Unilag 2nd/supplementary Lists.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.