Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,980 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live (4208 Views)

Nigerians Mock Fashola On Twitter Over Drop In Power Supply(Pics) / Photo: Shettima, Fashola On Buhari’s Entourage Before His Departure To Germany / Fashola On Live On AIT Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by mukina2: 8:24am On Jul 03, 2012
watch live here >> http://www.channelstv.com/home/live/

Schools
we have made provisions to support the indigent students in Lagos - Fashola
"Once you divide society along class lines, you are inviting disaster"
We have overcrowding in some schools & under-utilisations in others, but we are acquiring solutions for this
we need more schools in ojo, especially in the rural and riverine areas,

on Electricity:
we are still under provided for like many parts of the country, you can only get what is available , lagos is getting about 8000 mega watts,
as capacity improves we hope for more

On Flooding
really i empathize with people struggling to manage properties, protect their asset, we have an unusual supply of natures gift too much rain in a sense, rainfall means a lot to so many people to those people who are displaced, it means despair, to the farmers, fishermen it means business.
you could never over prepare for rainfall, rainfall is symptomatic for unusual weather, you can just hope that your best has been good enough, we could go and on it is just a challenging time.

a lot of the flooded areas are quite close to river and canal banks, all the drains are not the drainage that evacuates storm water, they are channels to the drain, the real drainage are the rivers lagoons and the swarms. we only build channels to regulate the flow to the drainage.

we have a relief camp where displaced people can be accommodated, we built it in anticipation of this kind of disaster, we are already making assessments, this are phenomenal that the whole world is witnessing, in some parts of the world now the extreme weather you have extreme heat, and houses and burning.

Transportation
we are still working in ipaja, we have a problem with the terrain instead of using asphalt , we are using inter locking blocks to ensure the durability of the road. we have a company preparing roads, there are roads that need to be rebuilt, the roads we have just built are unlikely to break in the next 15 years.

there is no disagreement between us and the fg, on the 3rd mainland bridge, the reason is that the information we got was that the bridge was to be closed,and that was not true, you must separate road management from traffic issues, Lagos state is responsible for traffic of its state.
if we close the bridge totally, the traffic issues will be uncontrollable.

we created the traffic radio to enable you decide whether you want to go out during rush hour or stay at home.

we expect the 4th, possibly 5th and 6th mainland bridge

Lagos intends to have its own airport, our business is not to manage airport,there are people who wants to own such assets, we are trying to put a team for that.

we just added another fleet of 350 buses at the end of may, and we are expecting to deliver a 1000 buses, there are franchise who have taken up franchisees to take up more routes, we do not manufacture buses here, the time lags between importation, demurrage and delivery, we do not have a bus plant here.

light rails are going on, the biggest constraint is finance, financing that project, its from the same ports we are financing all projects.

Dana Aircraft
that was a very sad moment for all of us, where we are now we have to take help from outside really, to use signs to try and identity the bodies of the deceased, totally scientific investigation ,taking x trays of dental structure, bone structure, body fluids samples and all of that, we don't have a forensic lab in Nigeria we have to get help from outside, the country needs a forensic lab.
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 03, 2012
Someone should inform GEJ that this what a media chat should look like, not that last week charade he had with hungry NTA reporters

3 Likes

Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by ortopazz(m): 8:45am On Jul 03, 2012
On point ogbeche
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Wisdytech(m): 8:47am On Jul 03, 2012
I lik dis MEDIA CHAT! Its making me feel like a GOVERNOR!
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 03, 2012
Enjoy
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by OlaAjia(m): 9:04am On Jul 03, 2012
ogbeche77: Someone should inform GEJ that this what a media chat should look like, not that last week charade he had with hungry NTA reporters

To be fair, the reporters of the presidential media chat did a very good job. They asked hard hitting questions, it's just unfortunate that the President couldn't answer some of them appropriately. Incidentally, Moupe Ogun of Channels TV was one of the interviewers on the day, much like she was today.
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by feelamong(m): 9:22am On Jul 03, 2012
mukina2: watch live here >> http://www.channelstv.com/home/live/

On Flooding
really i empathize with people struggling to manage properties, protect their asset, we have an unusual supply of natures gift too much rain in a sense, rainfall means a lot to so many people to those people who are displaced, it means despair, to the farmers, fishermen it means business.
you could never over prepare for rainfall, rainfall is symptomatic for unusual weather, you can just hope that your best has been good enough, we could go and on it is just a challenging time.

a lot of the flooded areas are quite close to river and canal banks, all the drains are not the drainage that evacuates storm water, they are channels to the drain, the real drainage are the rivers lagoons and the swarms. we only build channels to regulate the flow to the drainage.

we have a relief camp where displaced people can be accommodated, we built it in anticipation of this kind of disaster, we are already making assessments, this are phenomenal that the whole world is witnessing, in some parts of the world now the extreme weather you have extreme heat, and houses and burning.

I think Fashola is not being sincere here!!! How do you explain the fact that contractors that were given jobs to desilt and clear the drainage canals have abandoned the jobs and he is coming here to say he feels sorry for them

The problem with the present ACN govt is that they do N100 work and make N1,000,000 noise! For as long as they control the media to a large extent they will get away with it; but they should also know that while you can fool some people some time you cannot fool all the people all the time - Bob Marley
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by blacksta(m): 9:30am On Jul 03, 2012
media chat get levels - some can be comparable to Obama or Cameron like enagements or comparable to Basketmouth comedy .
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by fuke(m): 9:32am On Jul 03, 2012
ogbeche77: Someone should inform GEJ that this what a media chat should look like, not that last week charade he had with hungry NTA reporters

This is a SAN talking mate. Not people with Okirika degrees.

Have you listened to Ajimobi or Fayemi, you will feel glad to be a Nigerian for once.

You will get same when Akeredolu comes on board in Ondo State,

By the time Tinubu is through with his agenda for the Oduduwa people, the west will become an eldorado.
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by jmaine: 9:35am On Jul 03, 2012
fuke:

This is a SAN talking mate. Not people with Okirika degrees.

Have you listened to Ajimobi or Fayemi, you will feel glad to be a Nigerian for once.

You will get same when Akeredolu comes on board in Ondo State,

[size=18pt]By the time Tinubu is through with his agenda for the Oduduwa people, the west will become an eldorado. [/size]

Useless highlight . . . .Am sure the Lekki peeps are already enjoying Tinubu Eldorado stunts . . . . .

1 Like

Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 03, 2012
on Electricity:
we are still under provided for like many parts of the country, you can only get what is available , lagos is getting about 8000 mega watts,as capacity improves we hope for more

Point of correction, he said 800 mega watts of which 200 mega watts is channeled to Ogun state leaving Lagos with only 600 mega watts. That being said, in as much as I won't entirely agree with all he said, I strongly admire his demeanor as a governor. he intelligently answered the questions thrown at him with all sense of responsibility. I think President Jonathan lacked that comportment and coherence in his last media Chat. I hope he humbles himself and learns from Fashola when tackling sensitive issues of governance. Something tells me that maybe he would have made insensitive statements on the issue of flood like :"Who told them to build houses on low lands, this are the people that are making our work of governance in this country, infact it is ONLY in Nigeria you find such a thing and so on?" Curses with immediate impact would have reigned on him immediately. Fashola too much abeg! smiley
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Rhino5dm: 9:58am On Jul 03, 2012
Yeah, not the agbero-like [b]"I don't give a damn!" [/b]response. Carry go Joorrrr.
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by mbhs139(m): 9:58am On Jul 03, 2012
lexio: on Electricity:
we are still under provided for like many parts of the country, you can only get what is available , lagos is getting about 8000 mega watts,as capacity improves we hope for more

Point of correction, he said 800 mega watts of which 200 mega watts is channeled to Ogun state leaving Lagos with only 600 mega watts. That being said, in as much as I won't entirely agree with all he said, I strongly admire his demeanor as a governor. he intelligently answered the questions thrown at him with all sense of responsibility. I think President Jonathan lacked that comportment and coherence in his last media Chat. I hope he humbles himself and learns from Fashola when tackling sensitive issues of governance. Something tells me that maybe he would have made insensitive statements on the issue of flood like :"Who told them to build houses on low lands, this are the people that are making our work of governance in this country, infact it is ONLY in Nigeria you find such a thing and so on?" Curses with immediate impact would have reigned on him immediately. Fashola too much abeg! smiley

You took the world out of my mouth. That's what I was about saying.

In addition, he has shown that he's really 'on top of the situation' in the state.He knows what is going on every sector of the state's gorvernance, which shows that his team are really briefing him.

And talking about answering all questions with sense of responsibility, let me call your attention to a statement he made during his state broadcast at the time of the fuel subsidy palava then: we take responsibility for our failure to save lives and property ... which led to the death of a young man at Ogba-Oluwole (he then mentioned the boy's name, who was shot by a DPO)". That was responsible leadership.

This is what we want in a leader, who when he speaks on national issues, on what we elect him to do, we'll feel the pain he himself his going through in bringing us the dividends of democracy. Not a "I don't give a damn" president. That was very unpresidential, irrespective of whatever anyone says.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 03, 2012
Fashola was very active in the first term, but the second term, I cant figure out what he has been doing with the allocation and revenue money.
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by PHIPEX(m): 10:22am On Jul 03, 2012
mukina2: watch live here >> http://www.channelstv.com/home/live/

Transportation
we are still working in ipaja, we have a problem with the terrain instead of using asphalt , we are using inter locking blocks to ensure the durability of the road. we have a company preparing roads, there are roads that need to be rebuilt, the roads we have just built are unlikely to break in the next 15 years.

there is no disagreement between us and the fg, on the 3rd mainland bridge, the reason is that the information we got was that the bridge was to be closed,and that was not true, you must separate road management from traffic issues, Lagos state is responsible for traffic of its state.
if we close the bridge totally, the traffic issues will be uncontrollable.

we created the traffic radio to enable you decide whether you want to go out during rush hour or stay at home.

we expect the 4th, possibly 5th and 6th mainland bridge

Lagos intends to have its own airport, our business is not to manage airport,there are people who wants to own such assets, we are trying to put a team for that.

we just added another fleet of 350 buses at the end of may, and we are expecting to deliver a 1000 buses, there are franchise who have taken up franchisees to take up more routes, we do not manufacture buses here, the time lags between importation, demurrage and delivery, we do not have a bus plant here.

light rails are going on, the biggest constraint is finance, financing that project, its from the same ports we are financing all projects.

I beg to disagree Mr Governor. I enjoyed your responses but the bolded statement above is not true, there are several local plants that can deliever atleast half of that number of buses if the Lagos state govt was willing to patronise them.
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Gbawe: 10:22am On Jul 03, 2012

My brother, did GEJ himself not admit he was not chosen to be President on merit? Did the USA, revealed through wikileaks, not pronounce GEJ "underwhelming" i.e another tag for mediocre? It is obvious GEJ has been placed far above his Station by those who are totally committed to the continuation of "business as usual" to the extent they have no shame how crude, incompetent, unintelligent or gauche their impositions are. Think hairdresser Etteh as the fourth most powerful Nigerian. Yeah, that sort of crude imposition in this day and age. She could not even speak English properly ye some fools thought it best to make her speaker House of Reps.

I cringe every time I hear GEJ talk because, even with intense coaching, it is obvious the man does not have the slightest clue of what he is talking about. This stems from the fact that he is not a solutions provider like Fashola.

This applies to all of us in our lives. Those who genuinely want to provide solutions, professionally or as an occupational challenge, tend to familiarise themselves with the problems[b] completely[/b]. We can all relate to Fashola, even on a personal level, because it is obvious what he is - a proper administrator and solutions provider who thoroughly merits the position he occupies.

1 Like

Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by vanunu: 10:35am On Jul 03, 2012
Help me tell this man that Innoson manufactures world classes buses that is comparable to any other one in the world . this is what is killing Nigeria. It is a big shame.
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by lacasa: 10:39am On Jul 03, 2012
Wen Your "President" says he "doesn't give a damn" on a media chat beamed across state television,

Then Ʊ know Ʊr country needs an urgent change in Leadership.

FASHOLA 2015, insha-ALLAH cool

1 Like

Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Nobody: 10:45am On Jul 03, 2012
Gbawe:

My brother, did GEJ himself not admit he was not chosen to be President on merit? Did the USA, revealed through wikileaks, not pronounce GEJ "underwhelming" i.e another tag for mediocre? It is obvious GEJ has been placed far above his Station by those who are totally committed to the continuation of "business as usual" to the extent they have no shame how crude, incompetent, unintelligent or gauche their impositions are. Think hairdresser Etteh as the fourth most powerful Nigerian. Yeah, that sort of crude imposition in this day and age. She could not even speak English properly ye some fools thought it best to make her speaker House of Reps.

I cringe every time I hear GEJ talk because, even with intense coaching, it is obvious the man does not have the slightest clue of what he is talking about. This stems from the fact that he is not a solutions provider like Fashola.

This applies to all of us in our lives. Those who genuinely want to provide solutions, professionally or as an occupational challenge, tend to familiarise themselves with the problems[b] completely[/b]. We can all relate to Fashola, even on a personal level, because it is obvious what he is - a proper administrator and solutions provider who thoroughly merits the position he occupies.

You are very charitable, his cringe-worthy/ outright dumb statements is a shame to all Nigerians. 2015 can not come soon enough, this regime is worse than Shagaris!

1 Like

Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by boladez(m): 10:53am On Jul 03, 2012
feelamong:

I think Fashola is not being sincere here!!! How do you explain the fact that contractors that were given jobs to desilt and clear the drainage canals have abandoned the jobs and he is coming here to say he feels sorry for them

The problem with the present ACN govt is that they do N100 work and make N1,000,000 noise! For as long as they control the media to a large extent they will get away with it; but they should also know that while you can fool some people some time you cannot fool all the people all the time - Bob Marley

Our Father who art in heaven please let the FGN do the work of N1 so that they can make noise of N1,000,000 rather than making promises and giving a damn to all Nigerians. If that happens we would have enough reason to spend more time in church serving you and less time looking for security , power and basic necessities of life...this and many others dwe pray for in Jesus name AMEN!

PHIPEX:

I beg to disagree Mr Governor. I enjoyed your responses but the bolded statement above is not true, there are several local plants that can deliever atleast half of that number of buses if the Lagos state govt was willing to patronise them.

BRF my mentor, you slipped there, we have a bus factory at Volks area along Lagos badagry expressway, except you mean the components are not made in Nigeria. However, I rushed to the nearest TV to listen to you. I am impressed with you eloquence and above all intelligence and ability to solve problems. I pray that the Lord will raise more men like you BRF in our generation. I know there are many of you in the teeming population but they do not have the chance due to our corrupt and thoroughly abused electoral system.
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Boyoorisha: 10:57am On Jul 03, 2012
Gbawe:

This is the type of comment I love to read here. People who reason before hitting the keyboard. Truly, birds of a feather flock together
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by SamAfrik(m): 11:14am On Jul 03, 2012
Its quite obvious dt Fashola has both character & capacity.
Other Nigerians am impressed wit (so far) are Ajimobi & Soludo.
Apparently, most politicians though rich still suffer from poverty mentality. Hence, they steal like crazy.
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by SamAfrik(m): 11:17am On Jul 03, 2012
When is Nigeria going to produce a president that doesnt 'give a damn' about wealth acquisition?
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by jason123: 11:24am On Jul 03, 2012
PHIPEX:

No mind am. Innoson is there o! [b]I love Fashola [/b]but this is the time we need to go local with innoson! cool
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Musiwa2: 11:31am On Jul 03, 2012
D
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Revolutnz: 11:38am On Jul 03, 2012
vanunu: Help me tell this man that Innoson manufactures world classes buses that is comparable to any other one in the world . this is what is killing Nigeria. It is a big shame.

The question is not about whether Innoson buses are world class or not but can the Lagos govt and other investors afford it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think those buses purchased by the Lagos govt & other investors are new like innoson buses. So in other words, product cost and budget are major determinants as to what you buy and where you buy them from.Not necessarily lack of patriotism.
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 03, 2012
Musiwa2: How is akeredolu going to win ondo state.. I dont see him win ondo state. the odd are against him if they pick Akeredolu, the odd are against him in Ondo state. If you know ondo state politics.. he is from a small place in ondo state. he will not be able to get enough vote to win.

what nonsense is that. Ajimobo has a land space of 35,000 sq km to build road, electricity,water pipeline etc. fashola has just less 1/10 of the land. when it comes to road construction Ajimobi need 10 times the money to construct road than fashola need .
lagos is only 3000 sq km.

10 lagos = to 1 Oyo state. 6 lagos = 1 Ondo state..

It is not fair not to create state.. they have to create state.

when you look at population... it is hard been a governor of Oyo or ondo state than been the governor of lagos or Imo or enugu or anambra or ebonyi or akwa ibom or abia state.. This are small state.. that they need less money for road or electricity etc than bigger state..

I believe in state creation.

And the infrastructural needs of Lagos are the same as Oyo or Ondo, right? Going by your reasoning, Northern Nigeria deserves to get another 10 states

1 Like

Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by OlaAjia(m): 12:08pm On Jul 03, 2012
Musiwa2: How is akeredolu going to win ondo state.. I dont see him win ondo state. the odd are against him if they pick Akeredolu, the odd are against him in Ondo state. If you know ondo state politics.. he is from a small place in ondo state. he will not be able to get enough vote to win.

what nonsense is that. Ajimobo has a land space of 35,000 sq km to build road, electricity,water pipeline etc. fashola has just less 1/10 of the land. when it comes to road construction Ajimobi need 10 times the money to construct road than fashola need .

when you look at population... it is hard been a governor of Oyo or ondo state than been the governor of lagos or Imo or enugu or anambra or ebonyi or akwa ibom or abia state.. This are small state.. that they need less money for road or electricity etc than bigger state..

naijababe:

And the infrastructural needs of Lagos are the same as Oyo or Ondo, right? Going by your reasoning, Northern Nigeria deserves to get another 10 states

Good point @Naijababe. In addition, @Musiwa2 erroneously assumes that the nature of the terrain has no effect on the cost of infrastructural development. This is not so, as building a 20 bedroom mansion in a landlocked area of Ibadan metropolis might cost 5 times less than building a 3 bedroom bungalow around the lagoon area of Lagos state. In fact, pressure on the population capacity of Lagos state due to small land area --the very thing @Musiwa2 considers to be an advantage-- has not only made building infrastructure around water logged areas a necessity in Lagos, it has also forced the state to start reclaiming land from the Atlantic ocean, which is a whole different expense consideration on its own. So the advantage that @Musiwa2 thinks Lagos has actually turns out to be a huge burden and an unmistakable disadvantage.
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Musiwa2: 12:12pm On Jul 03, 2012
D
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by OlaAjia(m): 12:28pm On Jul 03, 2012
Musiwa2: you it is more difficult build a mansion in a rocky state than lagos.. do you know how much. lagos, imo, abia, ebonyi, enugu , akwa ibom etc has less problem

You seem to be missing the point. Of course, if you want to build a house on a rocky plain in Ibadan, it would be more expensive than building one on a landlocked part of Lagos. The point is that as a result of population, Lagos doesn't have that same luxury to choose between rocky, straight or water logged plains as both Oyo and Ondo enjoy, thus planning, and indeed implementation of infrastructure will be far more challenging and expensive than the states you speak of. Oyo state for example, will have a lot of unused lands and can therefore experiment and come up with comprehensive bottom up city developmental plans. Lagos on the other hand, cannot do this without having to move people out of the way (E.g. the compensation and resettlement of 1000s of people along the Badagry express way for the new 10 lane road being constructed). Furthermore, the challenge being faced by Lagos is forcing the state to reclaim land from the ocean. These are not hypothetical or abstract scenarios, these are things that are actually happening due to enormous pressure the state has to contend with.

I hope you can reconsider your position on the challenges faced by Lagos, and agree that they are considerably greater than those faced by Ondo and Oyo put together.
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Boyoorisha: 12:46pm On Jul 03, 2012

You analysis is bias! You forget to mention thhat Lagos has more population than those states. The number of vehicles that ply Lagos road (heavy trucks inclusive) are more than any of those state. So maintenance is higher in Lagos
Re: Fashola On Lagos & The Economy - Live by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 03, 2012
mbhs139:

You took the world out of my mouth. That's what I was about saying.

In addition, he has shown that he's really 'on top of the situation' in the state.He knows what is going on every sector of the state's gorvernance, which shows that his team are really briefing him.

And talking about answering all questions with sense of responsibility, let me call your attention to a statement he made during his state broadcast at the time of the fuel subsidy palava then: we take responsibility for our failure to save lives and property ... which led to the death of a young man at Ogba-Oluwole (he then mentioned the boy's name, who was shot by a DPO)". That was responsible leadership.

This is what we want in a leader, who when he speaks on national issues, on what we elect him to do, we'll feel the pain he himself his going through in bringing us the dividends of democracy. Not a "I don't give a damn" president. That was very unpresidential, irrespective of whatever anyone says.

yes, i like your comment

(1) (2) (Reply)

$29.9bn Loan: OBJ Draws Battle Line With FG •says A ‘third Force’ Will Emerge / Why Do You As An Individual Want The Creation Of Biafra? / Ugwuanyi Awards Contracts For Multiple Road Projects In Igbo-eze North, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.