Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,773 members, 7,831,486 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Dual Citizenship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dual Citizenship (2508 Views)

Lagos 2015: PDP Members Sue Obanikoro For Forgery, Dual Citizenship / The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. / Oyo Elections:Pdp Heads For Tribunal •accuses Ajimobi Of Having Dual Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dual Citizenship by babasin(m): 4:27pm On Dec 01, 2007
The legal practitioner also cited Sections 28, 66 (1) (a) and 156 (la) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to press home his case. “These sections make it abundantly clear that while a citizen of Nigeria by birth can have a dual citizenship under Section 28 of the constitution, such a person is not qualified for National Assembly membership or for the chairmanship office of any of the commissions set up under the constitution

So how come IWU was allowed to be INEC chairman since he has US + Nigeria Citizenship?

Does this mean dual citizens cannot be Governor, President, Chairman Local Government, state assembly?
Re: Dual Citizenship by Jairzinho(m): 6:48pm On Dec 01, 2007
If this is true ,then Mr Speaker may be in trouble, but I doubt it.
Re: Dual Citizenship by babasin(m): 5:16pm On Dec 02, 2007
If this is true ,then Mr Speaker may be in trouble, but I doubt it.

is the speaker having dual citizenship?

if YES, he better pack his bag, Sections 28, 66 (1) (a) and 156 (la) are very clear!
Re: Dual Citizenship by denex: 5:33pm On Dec 02, 2007
I really don't know why this dual citizenship thing exists. I don't know how one human being can claim to be a citizen of more than one country at any given time.

Does it also mean that if one has 2 parents who both have dual citizenship, thus grandparents from 4 different countries, does that now mean such a person will have quadruple citizenship? Please, someone should help me clear this.
Re: Dual Citizenship by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 02, 2007
this is Nigeria, anything goes.
Re: Dual Citizenship by Iman3(m): 9:18pm On Dec 02, 2007
denex:

I really don't know why this dual citizenship thing exists. I don't know how one human being can claim to be a citizen of more than one country at any given time.

Easy for you to say,if you were born in the US or UK,thus automatically making you a citizen,would you repudiate the citizenship?

“These sections make it abundantly clear that while a citizen of Nigeria by birth can have a dual citizenship under Section 28 of the constitution, such a person is not qualified for National Assembly membership or for the chairmanship office of any of the commissions set up under the constitution

I don forget Constitutional law already grin Is Iwu a "citizen of Nigeria by birth". . . . .what does the constitution say about citizens of Nigeria by descent?
Re: Dual Citizenship by mrpataki(m): 9:31pm On Dec 02, 2007
Is it politically wrong to have a dual citizenship? undecided
Re: Dual Citizenship by cuteNhot(f): 9:33pm On Dec 02, 2007
citizenship means an oath of loyalty
how can you be loyal to 2 masters?
Re: Dual Citizenship by Iman3(m): 9:52pm On Dec 02, 2007
mrpataki:

Is it politically wrong to have a dual citizenship? undecided

To serve in Govt,it will be better to repudiate one citizenship.I can't imagine a political office holder in the higher echelons of Govt,either in the US or UK,holding 2 passports.
Re: Dual Citizenship by mrpataki(m): 10:31pm On Dec 02, 2007
I-man:

To serve in Govt,it will be better to repudiate one citizenship.I can't imagine a political office holder in the higher echelons of Govt,either in the US or UK,holding 2 passports.

In my view it is actually possible. Arnold Governor of California US, still holds on to his Austrian citizenship. Stephane Dion the current head of Liberal party in Canada has a dual citizenship with France.

I do not see it politically wrong to have a dual citizenship.
Re: Dual Citizenship by Jairzinho(m): 8:53am On Dec 03, 2007
It shouldn't be a problem,once a country's constitution permits it.

However, I agree to some extent that the top 4 or 5 positions in the country or in a state shouldn't be for those with dual citizenship, esp the presidency&governorship.

EFCC had a hard time with Saminu Turaki for example, cos even after his Nig passport was seized he still had Burkina Faso passport.

If the concerned individuals really love the country they can renounce one.

denex:

Does it also mean that if one has 2 parents who both have dual citizenship, thus grandparents from 4 different countries, does that now mean such a person will have quadruple citizenship? Please, someone should help me clear this.

@denex,
The answer is YES,you can have 4 diff passports if all of the concerned country permits,& that makes u a citizen, being born in the UK doesn't confer on one automatic citizenship.
Re: Dual Citizenship by denex: 10:05am On Dec 03, 2007
In reality of things, you're not supposed to have dual citizenship. It really doesn't make sense so it's about time we renew our constitution.
Re: Dual Citizenship by souless: 12:22pm On Dec 03, 2007
Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy, the US citizenship laws doesn't stop you from being in Govt but you definitely can't run for President. I guess in Nigeria it makes sense that you have to denounce or not have a dual citizenship because IMO, how can you be equally loyal to two countries?
Re: Dual Citizenship by IykeD1(m): 6:18pm On Dec 03, 2007
Citizenship laws are complicated and vary from country to country. However, most countries
in the world have come to recognize dual citizenships. While in a good number of countries
like Nigeria, citizenships are automatically confirmed by birth, whether one voluntarily takes
up citizenship of another country later in life may not in itself alter the prior citizenship
status of that person as the fact still remain that they were born there to begin with.

As most things political in Nigeria goes, this is just another waste of time and effort. You
don't CLEAR a person to chair a sensitive commission like INEC only to comeback a fews
years later to ask the person to resign on account of their purported dual citizenship status.
Every single one of them needs their heads examined.

In any case, if you ask most Nigerians (yours including) to cede their dual citizenship status,
you can bet what the results will be - whossaaaai! smiley Its best they clarify the roles if any
a dual citizen Nigerian can play in the political life of the "dieing" country. On the other hand,
they can keep it! Na una sabi!
Re: Dual Citizenship by Jairzinho(m): 8:59pm On Dec 03, 2007
Slight correction bro.
The Nigerian constitution doesn't AUTOMATICALLY confer citizenship by BIRTH.

According to Chapter 3 of the Nigerian constitution which deals with citizenship:

(1) The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely -

(a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria;

Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Nigeria.

(b) every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and

(c) every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria.
Re: Dual Citizenship by IykeD1(m): 10:01pm On Dec 03, 2007
@Jairzinho

Thanks for the correction, but I was mainly referring to those born in Nigeria and whose
parents are Nigerians too - which clearly makes them Nigerians whether they pick up a
citizenship status of another country later in life or not.

Citizenships matters can be very complicated especially when serious crimes against the
state have been committed, but its safe to bet that when citizenships are revoked in such
cases, most countries will seek to return that individual to their original country, which is
usually their country of birth.

Conversely, while citizenships that are obtained by denouncing one's former country can
be stripped away, same can not be said for that which an individual gained by birth - such
is the power of birth in citizenship matters. In any case, please feel free to educate me on
this subject if need be.
Re: Dual Citizenship by Jairzinho(m): 9:50am On Dec 05, 2007
Thanks bro. wink
No probs ,you're cool cool
Re: Dual Citizenship by almondjoy(f): 10:04am On Dec 05, 2007
Thank God for dual citizenship!  If there was any question as to which one I would gladly give up--- not even paralysis, brain death or senile dementia will deter my swift decision as to which one would be set ablaze and cremated first!
Re: Dual Citizenship by nigeria1: 10:12am On Dec 05, 2007
so over 6 million Nigeria with dual citizenship . what this man up to,
Re: Dual Citizenship by mrpataki(m): 10:19am On Dec 05, 2007
I still insist there is nothing wrong with having dual citizenship.
Re: Dual Citizenship by babasin(m): 10:40am On Dec 05, 2007
I still insist there is nothing wrong with having dual citizenship.

my post is not about good or bad but what you can and cannot be in Nigeria with dual citizenship.
Re: Dual Citizenship by illusion2: 10:45am On Dec 05, 2007
Dual citizenship definitely confers on one dual options, which can't be bad !  grin grin
Re: Dual Citizenship by illusion2: 10:51am On Dec 05, 2007
babasin:

my post is not about good or bad but what you can and cannot be in Nigeria with dual citizenship.

I think most of the responses already address this your question,
But if you want further clarifications on specific job roles, you can check the Nigerian constitution

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

Cheers

(1) (Reply)

Ribadu Under Probe Over Mansions In Dubai, Abuja / Foreigners Now Rob Freely On Nigerian Highways / Akpabio Petitioned By Ibibio Ethnic Group Of Akwa Ibom State In Diaspora

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.