Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,834 members, 7,813,787 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. (9823 Views)

Buhari Addressed The Issue Of ‘first 100 Days In Office In UK / Lagos 2015: PDP Members Sue Obanikoro For Forgery, Dual Citizenship / Oyo Elections:Pdp Heads For Tribunal •accuses Ajimobi Of Having Dual Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by kasiem(m): 2:29pm On Nov 19, 2011
Hello pals, i've come to notice that a section of the constitution debarred people with dual citizenship from partaking in some political contest. So, my confusion is centred on the question of whether the law affects people who got their dual citizenship through honourary. Some achievers like Soyinka, Adichie, and Achebe have been given citizenship of different countries as an honor. So, does it mean that this folks are now ineligible contest political offices in nigeria?
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by 2bizonline(f): 3:25pm On Nov 19, 2011
not true
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by pokur: 9:15pm On Nov 19, 2011
The Constitution only barred citizens by registration/naturalization from holding any other citizenship except that of their country of birth.A natural-born Nigerian citizen can hold as many citizenship as he likes and still be eligible to contest whatever political post he desires.
You only need to have one Nigerian parent or be born in Nigeria and have one Nigerian grandparent to qualify as a citizen by birth.Read section 25(1a,b,c).Also read sections 28 & 29 on qualification for political post and citizenship renounciation by naturalized/registered citizens.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by kasiem(m): 10:20pm On Nov 19, 2011
pokur:

The Constitution only barred citizens by registration/naturalization from holding any other citizenship except that of their country of birth.A natural-born Nigerian citizen can hold as many citizenship as he likes and still be eligible to contest whatever political post he desires.
You only need to have one Nigerian parent or be born in Nigeria and have one Nigerian grandparent to qualify as a citizen by birth.Read section 25(1a,b,c).Also read sections 28 & 29 on qualification for political post and citizenship renounciation by naturalized/registered citizens.
but, a case was raised about ajimobi's dual citizenship. Again, ben bruce was disqualified as a result of citizenship problems. I'm sure that this people are all having nigerian lineage.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by pokur: 11:41pm On Nov 19, 2011
kasiem:

but, a case was raised about ajimobi's dual citizenship. Again, ben bruce was disqualified as a result of citizenship problems. I'm sure that this people are all having nigerian lineage.
A case was raised by the Oyo PDP and has been dismissed as incompetent by the tribunal as there are already decided cases by superior courts on this issue as far back as 2004.
As for Ben Murray Bruce case,that was a mere excuse by PDP to pave the way for their favoured candidate to take the gubernatorial ticket without opposition.Bruce can contest on any other party's platform and no one would be able to stop him on account of dual citizenship,he is a natural born nigerian citizen and even he can't renounce his citizenship talkless of his being denied it by any authority in Nigeria.So says the CFRN and affirmed by the Court of Appeal.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by nduchucks: 2:56pm On Nov 20, 2011
pokur: A case was raised by the Oyo PDP and has been dismissed as incompetent by the tribunal as there are already decided cases by superior courts on this issue as far back as 2004.

In all honesty, you people need to stop this kind of irresponsible pronouncements. Your assertion above is totally false. The case against Ajimomi is not yet over and will be heard again on appeal. The tribunal who dismissed the case did not in any way state that Ajimobi's dual citizenship does not disqualify him from contesting.

The PDP had claimed that the Ajimobi was ineligible to stand for elections having voluntarily acquired the citizenship of the United States of America - an act which required renunciation of his nigerian citizenship.

Ajimobi's counsel had however averred that his client was living in Nigeria and had not relinquished his Nigerian citizenship as of the time he won the election.

The Tribunal noted that the PDP who are the petitioners in the matter relied on documents from the American Embassy in Nigeria, a page on the respondent’s international passport and his social security number.

While reading the ruling, Justice Pindiga pointed out that it is one of the principles of law that averment is not evidence. He stated that despite the fact that the burden of proving the case was on the petitioner, the documents needed to support the claims made (Ajimobi's dual citizenship)were never produced

The story will change on appeal when Akala produces adequate evidence of Ajimobi's US citizenship. Lets wait and see
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by Katsumoto: 4:29pm On Nov 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

In all honesty, you people need to stop this kind of irresponsible pronouncements. Your assertion above is totally false. The case against Ajimomi is not yet over and will be heard again on appeal. The tribunal who dismissed the case did not in any way state that Ajimobi's dual citizenship does not disqualify him from contesting.

The PDP had claimed that the Ajimobi was ineligible to stand for elections having voluntarily acquired the citizenship of the United States of America - an act which required renunciation of his nigerian citizenship.

Ajimobi's counsel had however averred that his client was living in Nigeria and had not relinquished his Nigerian citizenship as of the time he won the election.

The Tribunal noted that the PDP who are the petitioners in the matter relied on documents from the American Embassy in Nigeria, a page on the respondent’s international passport and his social security number.

While reading the ruling, Justice Pindiga pointed out that it is one of the principles of law that averment is not evidence. He stated that despite the fact that the burden of proving the case was on the petitioner, the documents needed to support the claims made (Ajimobi's dual citizenship)were never produced

The story will change on appeal when Akala produces adequate evidence of Ajimobi's US citizenship. Lets wait and see

That is a freaking lie. You are not obligated to give up the citizenship of the country of your birth in taking up American citizenship. There are MILLIONS of citizens with dual citzenship in the US.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by nduchucks: 4:48pm On Nov 20, 2011
@Katsumoto,  Look up the law:  8 C.F.R. Part 337 (2008) .

The oath below speaks for itself . You are required to take this oath before becoming naturalized U.S. citizen, its the last thing you do before a judge "welcomes you to America

The current oath is as follows:
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God

abi you be US citizen ni? This issue has been flogged to death in the past. Call it a lie if you wish, but I'll say that it is wise note that if you state under oath in a foreign land that you entirely renounce and abjure all allegiances  to Nigeria, under any condition, you should not be allowed to contest for any ofiice in Nigeria.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by Katsumoto: 4:54pm On Nov 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@Katsumoto,  Look up the law:  8 C.F.R. Part 337 (2008) .

The oath below speaks for itself . You are required to take this oath before becoming naturalized U.S. citizen, its the last thing you do before a judge "welcomes you to America

The current oath is as follows:
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God

abi you be US citizen ni? This issue has been flogged to death in the past. Call it a lie if you wish, but I'll say that it is wise note that if you state under oath in a foreign land that you entirely renounce and abjure all allegiances  to Nigeria, under any condition, you should not be allowed to contest for any ofiice in Nigeria.

I don't care about the oath; my post was to correct that factual inaccuracy in your post. Making that oath does not lead to the surrender of a previous citizenship. Do I have to be a US citizen to be able to comment? I am fine with my Japanese citizenship. cool We (japs) are the best.

Besides, what have those having only Nigerian citizenship done for Nigeria except bleed it dry?
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by nduchucks: 5:22pm On Nov 20, 2011
Katsumoto:

I don't care about the oath; my post was to correct that factual inaccuracy in your post. Making that oath does not lead to the surrender of a previous citizenship.

Besides, what have those having only Nigerian citizenship done for Nigeria except bleed it dry?

Stop being unnecessarily emotional. The truth of tha matter is, you swear under oath in the presence of a judge that you entirely renounce and abjure all allegiances to Nigeria, as a condition for your U.S. naturalization. This kind of oath is not required in many other countries. If and when the Nigerian supreme court gets a chance to rule on a case such as the Akala's, many may find out that they lost their Nigerian citizenship long ago.

Only a joker or someone in severe denial will believe that a person who entirely renounces and abjures all allegiances to Nigeria under oath, before a judge, has not surrendered his/her Nigerian citizenship. We await the supreme court.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by Katsumoto: 5:29pm On Nov 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Stop being unnecessarily emotional. The truth of tha matter is, you swear under oath in the presence of a judge that you entirely renounce and abjure all allegiances to Nigeria, as a condition for your U.S. naturalization. This kind of oath is not required in many other countries. If and when the Nigerian supreme court gets a chance to rule on a case such as the Akala's, many may find out that they lost their Nigerian citizenship long ago.

Only a joker or someone in severe denial will believe that a person who entirely renounces and abjures all allegiances to Nigeria under oath, before a judge, has not surrendered his/her Nigerian citizenship. We await the supreme court.

Emotional? What is my own?

So you are now rooting for Akala? You are not championing making your incompetent and corrupt one citizenship leaders accountable; instead you are awaiting a decision from the court nullifying Ajimobi's victory, just so Akala the bleacher can return to the people of Oyo I tire for you Nigerians.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by gabbytabby: 5:52pm On Nov 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by gabbytabby: 5:55pm On Nov 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

kATSUMOTO IS CORRECT YOU DO NOT NEED TO GIVE UP THE CITIZENSHIP of your country of birth to take up US citizenship despite what the oat might say.  

I will take you to the link if i have the time.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by nduchucks: 5:59pm On Nov 20, 2011
Katsumoto:

Emotional? What is my own?

So you are now rooting for Akala? You are not championing making your incompetent and corrupt one citizenship leaders accountable; instead you are awaiting a decision from the court nullifying Ajimobi's victory, just so Akala the bleacher can return to the people of Oyo I tire for you Nigerians.

cheesy  cheesy  cheesy cheesy me rooting for Akala? oti o, God forbid bad ting. I want the supreme court to rule once and for all on the issue of whether naturalized US citizens who took the afforementioned oath have in effect given up their Nigerian citizenship. That's all. It would appear on the sufface that naturalized US citizens want to eat their cakes and have it at the same time.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by violent(m): 6:01pm On Nov 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Stop being unnecessarily emotional.  The truth of tha matter is, you swear under oath in the presence of a judge that you entirely renounce and abjure all allegiances  to Nigeria, as a condition for your U.S. naturalization.  This kind of oath is not required in many other countries. If and when the Nigerian supreme court gets a chance to rule on a case such as the Akala's, many may find out that they lost their Nigerian citizenship long ago.

Only a joker or someone in severe denial will believe that a person who entirely renounces and abjures all allegiances  to Nigeria under oath, before a judge, has not surrendered his/her Nigerian citizenship.  We await the supreme court.

The Nigerian law is not subjected to American laws, neither does it make provisions for oaths made under foreign constitutions.  If a Nigerian citizen renounces his citizenship, under the Nigerian constitution, in a Nigerian court, approved by a Tribunal or a sitting Judge, only then does he cease to be a Nigerian citizen.

American laws/constitution/oaths are powerless outside America.  A convict in America for instance will have a criminal record ---in America, Once he crosses over the shores into his home country, his records will remain intact!

I believe what the clause will likely imply is that, as long as you take up an American citizenship and you remain in America, your allegiance will be to America and America alone!

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by Katsumoto: 6:11pm On Nov 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

cheesy  cheesy  cheesy cheesy me rooting for Akala? oti o, God forbid bad ting. I want the supreme court to rule once and for all on the issue of whether naturalized US citizens who took the afforementioned oath have in effect given up their Nigerian citizenship. That's all. It would appear on the sufface that naturalized US citizens want to eat their cakes and have it at the same time.

At the end of the day, it's the intentions of the citizens towards their country that matters. Obama may not have sworn an oath or have the citizenship of Kenya, but I doubt that he doesn't have some soft spot for Kenya despite being the US president. The Brits despite serving their interests best while ruling Nigeria, have still provided the best leadership in Nigeria till today. Nigeria continues to have imbeciles for leaders despite those leaders not having any allegiances to other nations. The allegiance to their pockets is much greater than their allegiance to Nigeria.

Many Nigerian citizens, while seeking a better life for themselves, acquired citizenships in many countries around the world. There are many who are more competent and qualified than the villagers who call themselves Nigerian leaders. Attempting to exclude such Nigerians from leadership positions in Nigeria is condemning Nigeria to many more centuries of imbecilic leadership. Nigerians should stop focusing on cosmetic factors and focus on the real issues.

Ajimobi may not be the best man for the job but he should be given the chance as long as Akala is the other option.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by kasiem(m): 6:30pm On Nov 20, 2011
@katsumoto, i think u are getting emotional in this matter, i'd rather we focused our arguments on the rudiments of law than relying on mere fantasies. Does the law make ajimobi extraneous for the post of governance? If yes, he should humbly stick to it. If ajimobi is a nationalist (as u believe), i dont think he would take up the citizenship of another country, cos this action insinuates that he's no longer proud of his country or fed up with the country. If he had gotten the citizenship as an honor, it would've been a different case.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by kasiem(m): 6:36pm On Nov 20, 2011
violent:

The Nigerian law is not subjected to American laws, neither does it make provisions for oaths made under foreign constitutions.  If a Nigerian citizen renounces his citizenship, under the Nigerian constitution, in a Nigerian court, approved by a Tribunal or a sitting Judge, only then does he cease to be a Nigerian citizen.

American laws/constitution/oaths are powerless outside America.  A convict in America for instance will have a criminal record ---in America, Once he crosses over the shores into his home country, his records will remain intact!

I believe what the clause will likely imply is that, as long as you take up an American citizenship and you remain in America, your allegiance will be to America and America alone!
sorry, are u saying that someone can perpetrate crime in a country and then be free if he absconds that country? Why is it that USA traced bin laden to pakistan? Again, why is it that nigeria wanted to trace former USA vp to his country during the halliburton scandal?
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by gabbytabby: 6:46pm On Nov 20, 2011
there is actually a modified oat that a US naturalised citizen can take that avoids this but most dont take advantage of it.
Here is the link.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Both Nigeria and American do allow dual citizenship.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by violent(m): 6:55pm On Nov 20, 2011
kasiem:

sorry, are u saying that someone can perpetrate crime in a country and then be free if he absconds that country? Why is it that USA traced bin laden to pakistan? Again, why is it that nigeria wanted to trace former USA vp to his country during the halliburton scandal?

In theory, Yes!

If you've killed someone in the US and you've managed to flee back into your country, the Nigerian government will not prosecute you based on a crime committed in the US.  You ve simply broken a law in the US, not in Nigeria!  What the US government will likely do in this case, is to request for the Nigerian government to extradite you based on existing bilateral agreements. It's entirely up to the Nigerian government to choose whether or not to accede to this request.

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by manny4life(m): 7:05pm On Nov 20, 2011
kasiem:

I think you're missing his point; he said "American laws/constitution/oaths are powerless outside America.  A convict in America for instance will have a criminal record ---in America, Once he crosses over the shores into his home country, his records will remain intact! American law and Constitution does not extend to Africa nor Europe, each of these entities have different laws. There are certain crimes, particularly crime against humanity or Terror for instance are different in their own case. In addition, crimes against the UN, particularly those in direct violation of the UN Security Council is seen differently.

Bin Laden committed, orchestrated terrorism "within the shores of the United States", an act of terror is in direct violation of the Security Council. So yes, U.S. laws apply to him to, crimes against humanity will apply to him as well. However, if I had committed a crime of theft or murder (GOD FORBID), and I flee to Germany, unless the U.S. has an extradition relationship with Germany, and put in a request to be extradited, there's nothing much the U.S. can do. I can only have a record in America NOT in Germany nor any Europe nation I visit.

With that being said, Bin Laden was traced because the U.S. was on the hunt for his head; the CIA liaised with their Security Organization because the Pakistani Govt had given the U.S. govt to operate search efforts within the shores of the U.S., the expulsion came after the U.S. raid on his compound. Pakistan expelled the U.S. forces from the country, and the chaos goes on. Therefore, these were not U.S. laws BUT UN war against terror and the victimized country can try them in their country. You can never compare these crimes to theft, drugs, white collar crimes. U.S. laws exist only where it is.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by kasiem(m): 7:12pm On Nov 20, 2011
manny4life:

I think you're missing his point; he said "American laws/constitution/oaths are powerless outside America.  A convict in America for instance will have a criminal record ---in America, Once he crosses over the shores into his home country, his records will remain intact! American law and Constitution does not extend to Africa nor Europe, each of these entities have different laws. There are certain crimes, particularly crime against humanity or Terror for instance are different in their own case. In addition, crimes against the UN, particularly those in direct violation of the UN Security Council is seen differently.

Bin Laden committed, orchestrated terrorism "within the shores of the United States", an act of terror is in direct violation of the Security Council. So yes, U.S. laws apply to him to, crimes against humanity will apply to him as well. However, if I had committed a crime of theft or murder (GOD FORBID), and I flee to Germany, unless the U.S. has an extradition relationship with Germany, and put in a request to be extradited, there's nothing much the U.S. can do. I can only have a record in America NOT in Germany nor any Europe nation I visit.

With that being said, Bin Laden was traced because the U.S. was on the hunt for his head; the CIA liaised with their Security Organization because the Pakistani Govt had given the U.S. govt to operate search efforts within the shores of the U.S., the expulsion came after the U.S. raid on his compound. Pakistan expelled the U.S. forces from the country, and the chaos goes on. Therefore, these were not U.S. laws BUT UN war against terror and the victimized country can try them in their country. You can never compare these crimes to theft, drugs, white collar crimes. U.S. laws exist only where it is.
thanks for this lecture. This is one of the benefit of being here.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by Katsumoto: 7:32pm On Nov 20, 2011
kasiem:

@katsumoto, i think u are getting emotional in this matter, i'd rather we focused our arguments on the rudiments of law than relying on mere fantasies. Does the law make ajimobi extraneous for the post of governance? If yes, he should humbly stick to it. If ajimobi is a nationalist (as u believe), i dont think he would take up the citizenship of another country, cos this action insinuates that he's no longer proud of his country or fed up with the country. If he had gotten the citizenship as an honor, it would've been a different case.

Did you say rudiments of law? So I am guessing the rule of law provides for corrupt and incompetent leadership in Nigeria.

Millions of people all over the world take up citizenships of other countries for many reasons ranging from Marriage to migration. It is ludicrous to suggest that those who take up multiple citizens no longer love the country of their birth. I will hazard a guess that Ajimobi is not the only Nigerian leader with dual citizenship.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by kasiem(m): 7:46pm On Nov 20, 2011
Katsumoto:

Did you say rudiments of law? So I am guessing the rule of law provides for corrupt and incompetent leadership in Nigeria.

Millions of people all over the world take up citizenships of other countries for many reasons ranging from Marriage to migration. It is ludicrous to suggest that those who take up multiple citizens no longer love the country of their birth. I will hazard a guess that Ajimobi is not the only Nigerian leader with dual citizenship.
okay, we should expunge the law cos ajimobi is contesting election? How come u're still expecting criminals to be jailed. Better get real.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by pokur: 8:26pm On Nov 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

I respond to your diatribe only so the poster here can learn that which he does not know.Your entire arguement is based on what u think should be especially as it concerns Ajimobi/Akala tussle,not what the Constitution says.
Section 28 CFRN,lays down the entire steps to be taken in renounciation of Nigerian citizenship,its there in a concise,non ambiguos language.Section 29,also in a clear language lays down the class of citizens to which section 28 applies.The combined effects of both sections makes it clear that a Nigerian citizen by birth CANNOT lose his citizenship status,either by renounciation or forfeiture.
Assuming without conceding that he can renounce,the process to take are clearly enunciated in section 28.Any step extraneous to what is contained therein renders the process a nullity.
Dude,we've already treated this issue comprehensively on another thread with legal precedents and authorities up to the Court of Appeal cited in decided cases since 2004,so give up this your day-dream of Akala coming back to power through some sort of new interpretation of Ajimobi's citizenship status,it aint gonna happen.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by nduchucks: 9:08pm On Nov 20, 2011
violent:
In theory, Yes!

If you've killed someone in the US and you've managed to flee back into your country, the Nigerian government will not prosecute you based on a crime committed in the US.  You've simply broken a law in the US, not in Nigeria!  What the US government will likely do in this case, is to request for the Nigerian government to extradite you based on existing bilateral agreements. It's entirely up to the Nigerian government to choose whether or not to accede to this request.

@violent, I’ve  enjoyed your posts so far and agree with the one above. Indeed a criminal who committed a crime in the US cannot be prosecuted in Nigeria and an extradition is necessary for proper prosecution.

Renunciation of citizenship is however not a crime but is a process recognized internationally. Thus if a dual citizen of the USA/Israeli, committed a crime in Nigeria and escaped to Israel where he went through the legal renunciation process to renounce his USA  citizenship, I submit to you that this criminal will no longer qualify for extradition based on any agreement between Nigeria and the USA – assuming no such agreement exists between Nigeria and Israel.  If you renounce your citizenship of any country, that renunciation is recognized internationally, unlike committing a criminal act.

@pokur, indeed there is a process of renouncing your Nigerian citizenship in Nigeria.  That process does not preclude you from going to another country and doing a renunciation. Renunciation is recognized under international law.  BTW no vex if e be like say, I was hard on you in my first post
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by Uche2005: 9:23pm On Nov 20, 2011
ben bruce was never disqualified because of dual citizen. nigeria law allow people of dual citizen to contest for every position including the president of Nigeria.  The reason ben bruce was disqualified is because Jonathan Goodluck want his own candidate to be governor of the state. And it will be hard for him Jonathan Goodluck to claim that an unknow person won against ben bruce. so jonathan Goodluck got rid of Ben bruce and other so that his candidate can win. that is the way nigerian think.

nigeria law allows everybody with dual citizen to contest for every position. David mark the senate president of nigeria has dual citizenship.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by kasiem(m): 9:44pm On Nov 20, 2011
Uche2005:

ben bruce was never disqualified because of dual citizen. nigeria law allow people of dual citizen to contest for every position including the president of Nigeria.  The reason ben bruce was disqualified is because Jonathan Goodluck want his own candidate to be governor of the state. And it will be hard for him Jonathan Goodluck to claim that an unknow person won against ben bruce. so jonathan Goodluck got rid of Ben bruce and other so that his candidate can win. that is the way nigerian think.

nigeria law allows everybody with dual citizen to contest for every position. David mark the senate president of nigeria has dual citizenship.
say what u know.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by ektbear: 11:07am On Nov 21, 2011
This same sh1t again?

It has been hashed out time and time again.

ndu_chucks clearly has a nefarious agenda.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by dinah777: 12:55pm On Nov 21, 2011
This cannot be true.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Nov 21, 2011
interesting.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by Bobbyendy: 1:10pm On Nov 21, 2011
‎​†ђξ issue is a controvercial one but have been settle long ago in cases like SHUGABAR V MINISTER OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS. Shugabar was deported from nigeria to chad when whe became ‎​†ђξ majority leader of ‎​†ђξ state house of assemble in borno state. ‎​†ђξ claim was that his father was from chad hence he was not a citizen of nigeria despite ‎​†ђξ fact that his mother Ȋ̝̊̅§ a nigerian. ‎​†ђξ supreme court while giving its verdict stated clearly dat ‎​†ђξ nigerian constitution has clearly spell out ‎​†ђξ mode of acquiring nigerian citizenship in sec25 of ‎​†ђξ constitution. Hence sugabar could not be denied his right of citizenship and all entitlement. Bringing ‎​†ђξ case of AJIMOBI and BEN BRUCE it Ȋ̝̊̅§ clear that under law they can't be stoped from contesting because they are citizens by birth and even if AJIMOBI has acquired U S citizenship he cannot be deprived of his Nigerian right because his Nigerian citizinship Ȋ̝̊̅§ by birth and ‎​†ђξ constitution clearly state that a nigerian citizen by birth cannot be deported or barred to contest an election if he has meet all his requirement.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kano Government Donates 29 Vehicles To Security Team (Photos) / Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron / El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.