Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,299 members, 7,811,892 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? (5497 Views)

Read This If You Love To Make Money Thru Football Pool / Have You Received Money Thru Getaway Club? / Anyone Gotten His/her Money Thru Clubfreedom? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by Nosu(m): 5:58pm On Jul 04, 2012
I hv a serious flair for agric tins, and I really want to start a piggery but my only concern is dat, is there a market for pigs ( I.e do ppl really buy pig or pork) and if yes, what will be necessary to start?
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by Okontami: 6:57pm On Jul 04, 2012
Nosu, yes ..its a great business. I was actually trained , brought up and sent to school by my father's piggery business.

But its not a bed of roses. You need to spend a lot in the feeding. You need to deal with the smell and wastes and the dirt as you need to wash from time to time. Also you need a veterinary doctor to help u out with the basic drugs and jabs.

There is also a waiting time before you can make money , but all i can tell u is that there is no amount of pigs you have that is too much. To my amazement, they will be bought all off once. I always wonder who dey chop am.

People come as far as from portharcourt , Ijebu Ode, Warri , Akure , Benin etc to our Farm in the outskirt of Ibadan.

So think about it . You need capital and you will succeed ,but remember there is a waiting time.

Cheers.

Okontami

1 Like

Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by Nosu(m): 7:46pm On Jul 04, 2012
@Okontami
Thanks for the info,
I actually hv a friend into tins, and he said it doesn't smell if the water is change daily and I am happy that u mention my place as part of the places ppl come to buy them because I hv been wondering if ppl from my state buy and eat pork
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by Okontami: 11:46am On Jul 05, 2012
U can let me know if u hit any brick wall.. i will be willing to assist with my advice
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by Okontami: 12:50pm On Jul 05, 2012
Herotic abeg carry your scam forward. Dont derail this thread. Its about Pig business, why did u publish rubbish. If you are not a scam why dont you say what you want to say here. Next time you post rubbish, consider yourself **************

1 Like

Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by Nosu(m): 6:36pm On Jul 05, 2012
What are d fundamental things and structure dat wil be required to start?
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by afroxyz: 12:06pm On Jul 06, 2012
I am looking to get into squrriels, grass cutters and snails. How lucrative is it? I have this belief that people must always eat.
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by Okontami: 7:54pm On Jul 09, 2012
Hi Nosu, you need to get a land to do this. If its going to be in your compound, no problem. You need to get a bricklayer to do the costing of flooring the Pig cage for you , cement , granite etc . Also u need a carpenter to buy design how d cage will look like . It must be strong. You will buy planks, nails and roofing sheets. Then after you are through with the cage. You need a continuous flow of water and water source. You are required to get a borehole to get you continuous water or well. Also ,you need to source your pigs from good stocks. Also, you need to source PKC or other feeds . A vet doctor is important for the success of your farm.

But guy, remember...There is a waiting time. You will spend first and not make money for about 1 to 1and half years. This is not money medicine or Juju money.You have to sow before you reap. You have to wait and dont be distracted. Its worth it.

Let me know what more u need to know.
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by Okontami: 7:56pm On Jul 09, 2012
Also dont forget that you need where to dispose the wastes. Its a real big headache . So figure that out before your neighboours kick your ass out of your area. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by Okontami: 7:58pm On Jul 09, 2012
afroxyz: I am looking to get into squrriels, grass cutters and snails. How lucrative is it? I have this belief that people must always eat.
Oga, me i no know about all these other animals o. I only know about pigs.
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by olamson(m): 12:22pm On Jul 11, 2012
Those who don’t like pig needs to be educated on the advantages of promoting pig production for the local and international markets in altorder to enhance its contribution to the Nigerian economy.”

animal science and health management experts like Professor Istifanus Dafwang and Professor Placid Njoku have shed more light on some of the factors affecting pig production and consumption in the country, saying if such constraints were removed, pig production apart from enhancing the economy would also help Nigerians to have access to cheap, good meat thereby increasing their protein consumption.

The experts also enumerated some constraints to pig production in the country, just as they reeled off some prospects or advantages/benefits of engaging in pig farming.

Some of the enumerated constraints and fortunes of pig farming are highlighted below:
•Religious opposition to pig production and consumption — Nigeria has a large population of Muslims who constitute the majority in most states of the North-West and North-East zones. Also, with the growth of islamic fundamentalism, opposition to pig is very significant and sometimes finds its way into policy decisions at state and federal levels” Prof. Dafwang stated.

The solution to this constraint as explained by Professor Dafwang of the National Agricultural Extension and Rural Liaison Services, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State, is for the state Ministries of Agriculture to educate the public the need to promote pig production for those who consume it in order to reduce the pressure on other meat sources and in essence, make these available at cheaper rate to non-pork consumers.

•Marketing — At present, live animal sales constitute the primary marketing channel for the disposal of pigs its producers. The present conditions for transportation, handling and selling of pigs as explained by the don, are subject to many problems which compromise animal welfare and public health considerations.

The mind boggling problems associated with inter-state transportation of pigs and other live animals are and would require the cooperation of relevant agencies of government at all levels, that is, the multiplicity of road marshals and other security agencies that man Nigerian roads, the livestock industry professionals, marketers and transporters to proffer a lasting solution.

“In his words, there are 10 problems identified by me and other experts, but the top five were lack of capital, high cost of transportation, lack of standardisation, lack of functional abattoirs and lack of storage facilities. All these have to do with the need to provide adequate market infrastructural facilities,” Professor Dafwang emphasised.

•Disease outbreaks and effects of African Swine Fever (ASF) — The African Swine Fever (ASF), caused by a deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) virus belongs to the Asfarviridae family, and it is a highly contagious viral disease of domesticated pigs, which is often characterised by widespread haemorrhages and very high mortality.

While pigs are affected by many diseases, ASF stands out as the most devastating in the country.

The other disease that had significantly affected the Nigerian pig industry is anthrax, and this disease was responsible for wiping out the Nigerian breed of pigs developed by Professor Adebambo at the Institute of Agricultural Research and Training (IAR&T), Ibadan, Oyo State in 1993.

Other constraints to pig production and consumption as enumerated by Professors Dafwang and Placid Njoku were lack of technical assistance and inaccessibility of pig farmers to credit facilities.

These two constraints constitute the major farm level problems of the farmer at the farmland. This is not surprising because pig production technology was an introduction of the agricultural extension service. Extension workers train farmers in the technical aspects of production management and offer advisory services in addition to facilitating farmers’ access to improved inputs”.

Technical assistance, the don explained is also critical for meeting the other needs for ensuring on improvement in housing and sanitation, buying of feed ingredients and facilitation of access to credit,” he stated.

•Prospects of pig production — The unbeatable prolific fecundity of the pig and its ability to subsist on a very wide range of feed resources including crop residues, kitchen wastes, and agro-industrial by-products, which have limited alternatives uses are factors of comparative advantage which can be tapped to increase the supply of pig meat (pork).

An abundance of pork, the don further emphasised, will naturally reduce the pressure on beef and other meat products and so the Nigerian economy as a whole will be the greatest benefactor of any policy that will lead to the expansion of pig production and marketing.

Other advantages that distinguished pigs from other meat producing animals as enumerated by the don include;
•Higher carcass yield of 70 per cent compared to that of between 50 and 55 per cent for ruminants. In addition, Pig carcasses have a higher proportion of edible meat.

•Pig meat is easier to dress, more tender and has superior curing qualities, an obvious advantage for the production of value-added products.

•The pig has a very large caecum, which facilitates post intestinal digestion, the droppings of pigs is also rich in nutrients and so can be used as a good source of fertiliser for crop production.

“It is therefore not surprising that 95 per cent of farmers found pig production to be a profitable venture and it will continue to be so if farmers are given a policy environment that will minimise the problems highlighted,” the don further posited.

Furthermore, Professor Dafwang asserted that the higher feed efficiency and carcass yield of pigs have made pork to be 25 to 200 per cent cheaper than beef and goat meat all over the country. He also advocated for public education and enlightenment on the nutritional advantages of pork to Nigerians and how pig farming can bring good income for farmers, stressing that the pig industry in Nigeria would continue to grow with the demand for pork and the outstanding biological traits of the pig which confers upon it comparative advantage over other farm animals for meat production.

“Those who don’t like pig need to be educated on the advantages of promoting pig production for the local and international markets in order to enhance its contribution to the Nigerian economy. Most people are not aware that since pork is cheaper than beef, encouraging pork production and consumption will reduce the pressure on the demand for beef, leading to making beef more available and even at lower cost.”

Moreover, the don said the problem militating against increasing pig production can best be addressed by government, if government put in place policies that will facilitate a close interaction between pig farmers, private sector, initiatives and marketers in order to sustain and expand the industry.
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by Nosu(m): 3:52pm On Jul 11, 2012
This is getting interesting, pls more info;
I actually tot with little capital, one can start dis biz. Lik how much wil one need to start, if one already have land?
A friend told me dat he d only tin he does is deworming. dis new info suggests dat one must hv a veterinary doctor abi
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by Okontami: 3:03pm On Jul 12, 2012
Mr Nosu, getting a Vet doctor is to ensure your guys will be in healthy condition. Its safe . Dont start if you dont have at least 100k
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by tpia5: 3:39am On Dec 23, 2013
@ op

arent you a pig yourself?

you should feel right at home.
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by expert101(m): 9:30am On Dec 23, 2013
The reason why I don't like pig is that they eat alot of food. I wonder if the sellers actually make profit considering the amount of food you need to feed them because they are measured by their weight and sold in Kilos. You need capital in large quantity to succeed in the business.

The animals dey consume no be small.Lol
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by femu(m): 11:52am On Dec 23, 2013
expert101: The reason why I don't like pig is that they eat alot of food. I wonder if the sellers actually make profit considering the amount of food you need to feed them because they are measured by their weight and sold in Kilos. You need capital in large quantity to succeed in the business.

The animals dey consume no be small.Lol

The same principle applies to Catfish and Broilers.
You must know what to feed Pigs and how much to feed!
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by henrimoto(m): 2:39pm On Dec 23, 2013
tpia@:
arent you a pig yourself?

you should feel right at home.
who ?
Re: Money Thru Pigs, Is It True? by tpia5: 3:03am On Dec 25, 2013
op.

(1) (Reply)

Strictly Gigbucks And Seoclarks. Make Some Few Cash / Make Money With Fiverr 101 (free Tutorial Plus) / Naira Down To N364.33/$ In I&E Window

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.