Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,207 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? (853 Views)

Poll: A story has four elements: i) plot ii) characters iii) theme iv) setting. Which thrills you the most?

Plot: 0% (0 votes)
Characters: 80% (4 votes)
Theme: 20% (1 vote)
Setting: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

2012-the Reason You & I Are Alive To See Its End / You & I / Untitled Fiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? by BillyRubin: 3:14pm On Jul 05, 2012
[Well thought out responses please... :-D]
Re: What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? by breathing(f): 6:58pm On Jul 30, 2012
Good fiction should keep me good company. Make me feel like I'm part of the action in it. I wanna be affected by the lives of the characters in it. That's why I voted character. I think a writer should really take time with his characters, I want to be able to feel some of their pain, celebrate their victories, and miss them when the book is finally over!

1 Like

Re: What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? by Gloriagee(f): 8:02pm On Jul 30, 2012
Good fiction should be plausible eg Chimamanda's Purple Hibiscus
Good fiction should be simple n easy to read like Chinua Achebe's bks
Good fiction should able to suck one into their world like Nicholas Spark's Message in a bottle
Good fiction might b educative like Gone with the wind or The help or gd ol Grisham bks wtout turning into a text bk

N for me
Good fiction should keep me laughing out loud like Wole Soyinka's The trials of Brother Jero

1 Like

Re: What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? by 9japple(m): 5:30am On Jul 31, 2012
Good Fiction should stretch "perambulatorily" around the thin line between fantasy and the monstrous reality( with which i wake up to follow this thread and indeed the waking world at large) without reaching that part of our psyche where anaesthetic in cognito lives. For then the audience would be jaded and deluded. To put it more succinctly: Good Fiction should get you thinking : "Come on, this did not happen but it can happen therefore i should imitate the good in this story and watch out for the bad or conflict in it" Sorry for my incurable verbosity... that's why i'm called way-with-wurdz! nice thread to start, keep it up

1 Like

Re: What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? by breathing(f): 9:28am On Jul 31, 2012
@9jApple: lol, atleast you explained your big grammar. I know a girl that calls herself 'a-way with words'. I love reading that girl! Are you m/f?
Re: What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? by 9japple(m): 1:46pm On Jul 31, 2012
@breathing... i'm masculinely MALE...i got the name from the random way my words seem to align themselves into virtual artifacts of meaning... thank God sha
Re: What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? by breathing(f): 2:15pm On Jul 31, 2012
ℓ☺ℓ 9japple, I'm glad I have found a male version of her then.
Re: What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? by 9japple(m): 5:30am On Aug 01, 2012
@ breathing, why not connect with the male version of your persona? the numbers are inverted (if you know what i mean) 2949248608432+ or if you like alphabets to a digital fault (zero eight zero six, eight four two nine four nine two) waywitwurdz@yahoo.com...........robinson zino on facebook
Re: What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? by breathing(f): 9:38am On Aug 01, 2012
Hehehe, 9japple. Ok sha, I can only promise to check you out on facebook, to see if you've got any notes that can entertain me. Do you blog? Where do you write?
Re: What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? by 9japple(m): 9:55am On Aug 01, 2012
@ breathing im on facebook right now, come on line and add me lets chat so i can link you to my blogging, resources etc. it would be [/i]AN EXPEDITION EXTRA-ORDINAIRE!!![i]
Re: What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? by 9japple(m): 9:10am On Aug 08, 2012
@breathing, visit my blog ( construction stage) creativityexpress.blogger.com
Re: What should fiction do for you? i.e. What do you consider good fiction? by vislabraye(m): 1:00pm On Aug 08, 2012
A good fiction should be able to take me in its world. I should be able to see the xters and their challenges.

(1) (Reply)

. / Silly Romantic: The Tolu Effect! / Abiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.