Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,720 members, 7,824,047 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria (9917 Views)

Nigerian Army Ranks 5th On List Of Worst Armies In The World / Osun Emerges With Lowest Unemployment Rate In Nigeria – NBS / Nigeria Ranked 5th On Uk Student Visa Application List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:34pm On Jul 05, 2012
Click to view
http://www.aljazeera.com/watch_now/

Governor Fayemi of Ekiti is one of those logged in on Skype on the show.
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:42pm On Jul 05, 2012
Log on to the Stream to tweet your responses

http://stream.aljazeera.com/
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Rossikk(m): 4:24pm On Jul 05, 2012
Al Jazeera are another CNN and BBC - western controlled mouthpieces whose idea of African coverage is 100% negative news. I say FK them.

1 Like

Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Mandelaguy(m): 5:03pm On Jul 05, 2012
Rossikk: Al Jazeera are another CNN and BBC - western controlled mouthpieces whose idea of African coverage is 100% negative news. I say FK them.
Yeah....stupid fanatical station, F..u..c..k hem!
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by warrior01: 5:03pm On Jul 05, 2012
Another dumb post. Let our youths stop looking for non existent white collar jobs and be more creative. Opportunities abound in Nigeria for those that are ready to work. The problem is that most of us want the easy way out and thereby neglecting the ever present opportunities around us

3 Likes

Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:11pm On Jul 05, 2012
For those able to set self aside, please join the debate on twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Nigeria?q=%23Nigeria
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Rossikk(m): 5:13pm On Jul 05, 2012
^^You mean for lazy uncreative people with nothing better to do with their time than run to ''massa oyibo'' to vilify their country?

I have a cousin who started a tiling business in Enugu with under 50,000 naira two years ago. He learnt how to do it off a free ebook on the internet. Today he's built a Duplex that's better than that Al Jazeera presenter's tiny flat in Doha.

3 Likes

Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:19pm On Jul 05, 2012
Kobojunkie: For those able to set self aside, please join the debate on twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Nigeria?q=%23Nigeria
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Arosa(m): 5:20pm On Jul 05, 2012
warrior01: Another dumb post. Let our youths stop looking for non existent white collar jobs and be more creative. Opportunities abound in Nigeria for those that are ready to work. The problem is that most of us want the easy way out and thereby neglecting the ever present opportunities around us
There are lots of opportunities in Nigeria I agree, but they require large capital to make a decent living from them. My question is would the Nigerian banks give out loans to our graduates with their degree as collateral? If yes then how much would they get for their degree? 1 million naira? undecided
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:26pm On Jul 05, 2012
The Stream ‏@AJStream
"What we have in Nigeria is the survival of the fittest," says Omoyele from @SaharaReporters, "Nigeria has become a jungle."
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Rossikk(m): 5:34pm On Jul 05, 2012
Arosa:
There are lots of opportunities in Nigeria I agree, but they require large capital to make a decent living from them

Not always. It depends on the type of business and your level of creativity, perseverance, and passion.
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by warrior01: 6:15pm On Jul 05, 2012
Arosa:
There are lots of opportunities in Nigeria I agree, but they require large capital to make a decent living from them. My question is would the Nigerian banks give out loans to our graduates with their degree as collateral? If yes then how much would they get for their degree? 1 million naira? undecided

i agree with you to some extent but the fact remains that most nigerian youths have what i call misplaced priorities. They would rather go for the latest BB phones and other vain things rather than make their money work for them for the betterment of their future.

1 Like

Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Mandelaguy(m): 7:35pm On Jul 05, 2012
Kobojunkie: The Stream ‏@AJStream
"What we have in Nigeria is the survival of the fittest," says Omoyele from @SaharaReporters, "Nigeria has become a jungle."
Are you in a jungle kobojunkie?
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Mandelaguy(m): 7:41pm On Jul 05, 2012
warrior01:
i agree with you to some extent but the fact remains that most nigerian youths have what i call misplaced priorities. They would rather go for the latest BB phones and other vain things rather than make their money work for them for the betterment of their future.
This is a sensible talk. I have seen a lot of us turn meagre sums into millions. Exales abound around me f young entrepreneurial minds churning out results by the day and aiding on nation building. Idle minds will always wait for govt to do everything and blame the govt for everything that goes wrong. F the truth is said,if all f us contirbute our little quota in our little space bearing the good of Naija in mind,there will be no room for corruption. The followers of today are the leaders of tomorrow,and most repeat the cycle we are against.

1 Like

Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jul 05, 2012
Rossikk: Al Jazeera are another CNN and BBC - western controlled mouthpieces whose idea of African coverage is 100% negative news. I say FK them.

+1000000

2 Likes

Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 05, 2012
It's a pathetic situation. Glad a few young people like me have taken the bull by the horn by starting our own SME's and employing other young people in the process. I wish more Nigerian Graduates have that Mindset and quit chasing jobs that ain't there. More SME's less UNEMPLOYMENT.
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Jabioro: 8:00pm On Jul 05, 2012
Let them continue run to Aljaezera,BBC or CNN.It wud provide them alot job.msheww
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by gossips(f): 8:02pm On Jul 05, 2012
Kobojunkie: The Stream ‏@AJStream

Agree.
the fittest here meaning "the connected".
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Castos(m): 8:05pm On Jul 05, 2012
I do watch Aljazeera, and I love them too. Guys listen, this tv station is on the frontline of every African related news. Though they're not that perfect on social and economical scope of every country but i give then great credit war reports within the coutry. How many tv station risk their reporters to get a full futage and shots of an ongoing war even on the war front. They're truely good. As for their report on this issue, I agree with them(90%)
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Castos(m): 8:11pm On Jul 05, 2012
gossips:

Agree.
Hehehehehe. . . . Yeah, the connected ofcus.*like my bro*
; D
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Arosa(m): 8:12pm On Jul 05, 2012
Are there job-centres in Nigerian? If not, then Nigeria is not serious in tackling the unemployment problems.
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:27pm On Jul 05, 2012
gossips:

Agree.

That is what was said during the discussion. And from Governor Fayemi's contribution, you could tell what the problem was. Our Government is not united in this or anything. The Governor, when asked a question on what could potential come of the over 1 billion dollars recent investment into, yes, Power sector, went off on some monologue about how his government was working on agriculture and trying to put Ekiti on the map with that. Imagine the nonsense? He vehemently stated that since he was not part of the President's party, he would rather focus on issues that concern his party . . . .

1 Like

Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by gossips(f): 8:32pm On Jul 05, 2012
Rossikk: ^^You mean for lazy uncreative people with nothing better to do with their time than run to ''massa oyibo'' to vilify their country?

I have a cousin who started a tiling business in Enugu with under 50,000 naira two years ago. He learnt how to do it off a free ebook on the internet. Today he's built a Duplex that's better than that Al Jazeera presenter's tiny flat in Doha.

Nice to hear that your cousin built a duplex out of a two-year old tiling business that got a less than a 50k start-off capital.
You see, I hold nothing aagainst being entrepreneurial but the fact remains that Nigeria is a real jungle. I have tried my hands on a few businesses, even while in the university but I can tell you that you don't get to swim in a pool of profit (to afford a duplex) unless you soil your hands a bit. Anyway, I can tell you I don't live my life that way irrespective of the impossible situations around me.

And who says I should be looked upon as a senseless and lazy person if I actually desire to work for another esp if I have earned the right qualification and experience. Infact, for some who desire to be self-employed and do not have a source of raising funds could, first of all, work for another to save enough money to start their own.

7 Likes

Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Loveaflame(m): 8:55pm On Jul 05, 2012
Nigeria is a blesd natn.There ar so many tns 1 can do to make cash and grow it big.But the prob wt us yut is that we want to stat big.Many want big # to start up big bz witout prior experince to handl such.The resn many bzns colaps.You must find your passn.Nigerians are wasters when it comes to spendn.d mor reasn u can make it if u ofa valuable savs.Univasity dgr dos nt garanti u suces in lfe,but a plus.Luk around u dre ar many tns to do if u ar nt proud.I rememba sometime ago I did make ridges on a two plot of land for #.went into farmin of tomatoes and maize etc just to survive b4 I found my present passion in self employd bznes.Think deep.Go on research.Pray for God's guidiance.U will find sometn u can start wt at lst #20,000.Yes dats tru.Do you know you can get a complt desktop P4 for #14,500 and sell for 20g? D 2nd hand batrs bn sold for #200 cost < #20.Dats tru also.Go out and luk 4 somtn 2 do.
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by NwaNimo1(m): 8:56pm On Jul 05, 2012
Ok, seems like nobody actually watched it but are full of comments.

My view is the presenter (white woman) seemed to have an agenda. She stated early on that Nigeria's jobless crisis was due to overpopulation and the answer was for Nigerians to stop breeding.

She then seemed to infer that Nigerians were having to many kids (on average 5) and that they needed to introuce programs aimed at birth control which would lead to reduced unemployment.(a wonderul theory)

The Nigerian man on the show made some poor comments and he didn't have his facts straight. To summarise his thoughts the $500billion in oil receipts Nigeria has seen since independence has been mismanaged by past, present and even future governments.

Governor answered the questions directed at him cleverly and spoke of facts rather than the theories being out forward by the presenter.

Another governor (didn't catch his name) was featured stating how backward and unskillfull Nigerian graduates are and thats the reason for their unemployment!

So to summarise, Nigerians need to stop having children, stop going to Nigerian universities, and stop voting for their corrupt leaders to continue fleecing them and the country.
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 9:02pm On Jul 05, 2012
Nwa_Nimo: Ok, seems like nobody actually watched it but are full of comments.

My view is the presenter (white woman) seemed to have an agenda. She stated early on that Nigeria's jobless crisis was due to overpopulation and the answer was for Nigerians to stop breeding.

She then seemed to infer that Nigerians were having to many kids (on average 5) and that they needed to introuce programs aims at birth control which would lead to reduced unemployment.

I watched the program and NO, she did not have an agenda. Please stop spreading lies.

She asked if the problem had to do with overpopulation as some online already touched on the issue of overpopulation in the country, and the speaker from Sahara did that too.

Secondly, she is right by stating that the average child per woman in Nigeria is 5. That number has been available for some years now and I believe went up for 2011 to about 5.2.
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 9:04pm On Jul 05, 2012
Nwa_Nimo: Governor answered the questions directed at him cleverly and spoke of facts rather than the theories being out forward by the presenter.

So when asked of the 1 billion dollar investment into Electricity, answering that Ekiti State was pushing Agriculture is a rational response? Interesting . . .

Nwa_Nimo:
Another governor (didn't catch his name) was featured stating how backward and unskillfull Nigerian graduates are and thats the reason for their unemployment!
There was no other governor on the program.
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 05, 2012
Rossikk: ^^You mean for lazy uncreative people with nothing better to do with their time than run to ''massa oyibo'' to vilify their country?

your post shows ur enslaved mentality.... why? At least the little flat in Doha is by far free off armed robbers and kidnappers and terrorists that are ever ready to eat your cousin and his family in their gigantic duplex.......think before u post
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Hoodrat(m): 11:10pm On Jul 05, 2012
Al jazeera are protective of Arab bad images but tend to downgrade black at every opportunity they could get. Recently they launched a program called surprising europe that focus on negative side of African migrant in Europe excluding the morocan,alegerian,tunisia and libya the africans arabs.The youtube page of the program is where you will find the most hating Arabs spewing their hatred on Africans due to their cyber courage. Ive never for once take al jazeera serious cuz they are part of the media contributing to destructions of Africans.

2 Likes

Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 11:15pm On Jul 05, 2012
Hoodrat: Al jazeera are protective of Arab bad images but tend to downgrade black at every opportunity they could get. Recently they launched a program called surprising europe that focus on negative side of African migrant in Europe excluding the morocan,alegerian,tunisia and libya the africans arabs.The youtube page of the program is where you will find the most hating Arabs spewing their hatred on Africans due to their cyber courage. Ive never for once take al jazeera serious cuz they are part of the media contributing to destructions of Africans.

What has all this tripe to do with this? Aljazeera had on Nigerian Speakers who spoke and debated the Nigerian problem. Why are some of you hung up on shoving a stick up your arses because AlJazeera is the station it was aired on. These were Nigerians on screen and online debating this issue . . . an issue that affects the lives of millions of Nigerians both inside and outside of Nigerians?

Please tell us, what other INTERNATIONAL NETWORK should Nigerians who want to debate Nigerian issues and want Nigerians all over the world involved to go on? Please let us know what INTERNATIONAL NETWORKS you have specifically set up for this purpose.

3 Likes

Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by legalwealth(m): 11:28pm On Jul 05, 2012
We need to be orientated properly on how to be industrious.
Re: July 5th on Aljazeera -- Rising Unemployment rate and the Youths in Nigeria by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jul 05, 2012
Aljazeera lacks objectivity.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Assured Us Of Free, Fair 2019 Polls — UN, ECOWAS / EndSARS: We Froze Accounts Of Companies, Not Individuals - Justice John Tsoho / FG Budgets ₦900bn For Agencies Recommended For Scrapping - Oronsaye Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.