Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,918 members, 7,952,679 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:03 PM

7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa (4369 Views)

WAEC Seized My English Result Twice – Patrick Obahiagbon / Obasanjo's Autobiography "My Watch" Now Sold In Traffic. Are They Pirated? / Why Books Are Pirated In Nigeria -By Tayo Demola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by mukina2: 7:47pm On Jul 05, 2012

The Nigeria Customs Service, Apapa Area 1 Command, on Thursday disclosed that it recently impounded seven 20ft containers carrying 10,000 cartons of pirated books, dictionaries and novels for Junior and Senior Secondary Schools.

A statement by the command Public Relations Officer, Timi Bomodi, said the seizure had a Duty Paid Value (DPV) of N35 million, adding that the said books were declared as Bibles, with the intent of concealing their true identity.

According to the statement, one person has been arrested and released in connection with the seizure.

The Area Controller of Customs, Adamu Garko, reaffirmed the Service's commitment to checkmating the nefarious activities of pirates and other importers who engage in illegal importation.

He warned unscrupulous importers to desist from their unwholesome actions, and called on all government agencies to work collectively toward achieving a common purpose.

The statement said the consignment had been handed over to the Nigeria Copyrights Commission.

The NCS, in recent months, stepped up its anti-smuggling activities in line with Sections 47 and 48 of the Customs and Excise Management Act (CEMA).

Source
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by Tsmooth1(m): 7:56pm On Jul 05, 2012
As usual the books would be farouked.
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by ZUBY77(m): 8:26pm On Jul 05, 2012
books , hahahahahahaha
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jul 05, 2012
I like to think outside the box here, the "pirated" books should be distributed free of charge to students. I dont see anything wrong in sharing this, pirated or not, its gonna make someone more knowledgeable.

12 Likes

Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by BillyRubin: 8:36pm On Jul 05, 2012
Billyonaire: I like to think outside the box here, the "pirated" books should be distributed free of charge to students. I dont see anything wrong in sharing this, pirated or not, its gonna make someone more knowledgeable.

I like your line of thought, Billyonaire. At least, the students gain knowledge and the pirates lose money.
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by Ryabcool(m): 8:59pm On Jul 05, 2012
Billyonaire: I like to think outside the box here, the "pirated" books should be distributed free of charge to students. I dont see anything wrong in sharing this, pirated or not, its gonna make someone more knowledgeable.
they should never try it or they'll risk being sued. Remember most copyright terms state that "no part of this book shall be reproduced, duplicated, used, DISTRIBUTED without the express permission of the author(s)"

1 Like

Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by ektbear: 9:05pm On Jul 05, 2012
Information wants to be freeeeeee
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by slap1(m): 9:17pm On Jul 05, 2012
I've never felt so bad about pirated books until I walked into Abia State University's bookshop and saw an array of them for sale. I was like, WTH?

1 Like

Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 05, 2012
Ryabcool: they should never try it or they'll risk being sued. Remember most copyright terms state that "no part of this book shall be reproduced, duplicated, used, DISTRIBUTED without the express permission of the author(s)"
For real ? But do you realize that the pirates where about selling the same books for huge amounts ?
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by Reference(m): 9:40pm On Jul 05, 2012
Real catch 22 situation. You really can't place a price on education. However education should teach us to do the right thing and sets the standards for proper development. Pity.
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by braveheart2012(m): 9:41pm On Jul 05, 2012
Stuupid lies! The guy probably tried to import the books without paying the usual bribe and they tried to teach him a lesson. Bloody crooks!

2 Likes

Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by OnetimeOnly: 10:03pm On Jul 05, 2012
While piracy should be condemned in all ramifications, however we cannot afford to continue to waste resouces. I believe the Customs Service should find a way to get these books to students (afterall the intellectual value is still intact pirated or not) and find a way to reimburse in part or full the original copyright owners whom I believe have companies in Nigeria . This could be done by fining the company involved in the importation heavily to serve as a deterrent .
But we know what will happen they will make a public show of destroying it , meanwhile it would be empty boxes while some customs people will go and sell it back to the company or the black market. And in that case we all loose
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by gbadexy(m): 10:09pm On Jul 05, 2012
The next thing would the burning of those books. I feel they should forward the books to the original publishers of respective book so that the authors can enjoy the fruit of their labour. This act would compensate the authors a little for what they lose.
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by Ryabcool(m): 10:17pm On Jul 05, 2012
Billyonaire: For real ? But do you realize that the pirates where about selling the same books for huge amounts ?
True. But we cannot correct crime with another crime. The only advice i can proffer at the moment is that the customs contact the authors and see if they can broker a deal with the copyright owners in which the books are sold at a very cheap price compared to the original amount. And that the proceeds from the sales go to the authors without being subject to taxation
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by Babamide(m): 10:49pm On Jul 05, 2012
I just hope they don't burn the books. Either recycle or share it for free
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jul 05, 2012
It is a little bit complicated situation. I share Billyonaire and Ryabcool ideas.

Looking at the situation of things in the country, I would suggeste the ministry of education to write the rightful owners of the intellectual properties for permission to distribute them to the students in public schools. It would be of great help to the rightful owners when their works are helping the poor in Africa(at this time Nigeria)after unscrupulous intention to sell them under pirated conditions.
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jul 05, 2012
all4naija: It is a little bit complicated situation. I share Billyonaire and Ryabcool ideas.

Looking at the situation of things in the country, I would suggeste the ministry of education to write the rightful owner of the intellectual properties for permission to distribute them to the students in public school. It would be of great help to the rightful owners when their works are helping the poor in Africa(at this time Nigeria)after unscrupulous intention to sell them under pirated conditions.
Piracy of books and movies are like the greatest deals worldwide. Its a billion dollars enterprise. You hardly know books that do not come from the real owners. Printing press makes exact true copy and you buy without knowing its copied. Printers make billions reprinting MacMillan text books and distributing to schools. its a vast dynasty of its own. I dont think it can be curbed. Its like finding needle in a hay sack, this is just the only heard interception since 20th century.
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by Exponental(m): 11:06pm On Jul 05, 2012
The main reason for seizure shldnt be mixed with sentiment, else d main reason will be defeated.
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by mrkels(m): 11:07pm On Jul 05, 2012
So books are even pirated in naija? Wow...what part of the world are we from self. Anyways I pity the owner of this goods, customs don put my guy on reverse for a while. He ll still bribe and get his way through sha. I trust my country
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by Murphy7h4: 2:11am On Jul 06, 2012
Very nice![img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by NovusHomo(m): 3:17am On Jul 06, 2012
Whoever pirated these, whoever succeeded in bringing them into the country deserves the Nobel Prize (no, not your frigging OMN, UPN, NPN, GNPP, NPP, GNPPNPNUPNNPPADSDPBLAHBLAH, UACN, IBB, OBJ, GEJ and whatever else you choose to call your national medals). Its about education, people; something that the various thieving administrations across the land don't think is important.
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by Kobojunkie: 3:45am On Jul 06, 2012
I am guessing a lot of people here have never actually purchased a pirated book in their life.

Pirated books are as usually as good as useless because many of them are poorly printed, with missing pages in most cases, and essentially fall apart after a couple of weeks.

If these books were really pirated, then I would that they never enter circulation at all. I remember purchasing some of these while in med school and causing the woman who sold me the book every time I flipped to a page only to find it missing.
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by olyivy(f): 6:20am On Jul 06, 2012
Kobojunkie: I am guessing a lot of people here have never actually purchased a pirated book in their life.

Pirated books are as usually as good as useless because many of them are poorly printed, with missing pages in most cases, and essentially fall apart after a couple of weeks.

If these books were really pirated, then I would that they never enter circulation at all. I remember purchasing some of these while in med school and causing the woman who sold me the book every time I flipped to a page only to find it missing.

Med gini? grin grin Which one are you sef? Programmer or internet activist or a medical doctor?

This guy sef?
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by onatisi(m): 6:59am On Jul 06, 2012
ZUBY77: books , hahahahahahaha
no mind them ppl stealing our oil they wont catch them,the 8.6million liters or barrels f stolen crude the matter don die yet they stopping books from entering.oil bukering they wont catch ,faruk suspended for bribery but still collecting salary.
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by ebamma(m): 11:50am On Jul 06, 2012
from movies,films,laptops,softwares,clothes, etc.all get their pirated copies,na only human beings were naija neva pirate.
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by talktrue1(m): 3:12pm On Jul 06, 2012
[quotea]one person has been arrested and released in connection with the seizure.[/quote]
Lol
Re: 7 Containers Of Pirated Books Seized At Apapa by waice6571: 9:19am On Jul 07, 2012
Once you cant bribe way out of this customs guys either in cash or in kind through their partners in crime, clearing and forwarding agents then, your product is fake,pirated or banned by constitution. Later, they ll share among themselves and burn the rest on national tv. even when you dont know the content of the cartons on fire.

(1) (Reply)

My Childhood Sexual Experience / Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) / 12 Novels By America’s Bestselling Fiction Author Of All Time Find New Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.