Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,043 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) (4167 Views)

DABIRA By Mercy Oluwafunmito Adebisi (A Thrilling & Suspenseful Christian Story) / In Deep Sticky Mud-A thrilling blend of Romance,Rivalry,Betrayal&vengeance / The Inheritance(a Thrilling Romance Story)by Rose Akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 12:08pm On Mar 08, 2017
Hello everyone. erm.. I'm a bit nervous.
I'll be posting my first story on nairaland...please read, like comment and share when you find it interesting.
I'm very open to constructive criticism. Point out my errors wherever you find them and help me improve.

And to People wey get power pass me, please don't plagiarise my story anywhere online or in prints without my permission.
Thanks everyone.

FUNMI
(A story)
Prologue

The way the moon hovered in the sky, then manner with which the stars twinkled and the kind of soothing breeze that blew ; everything about that night and it's calm induced the feeling of perfect peace.
Yet nights were supposed to be dangerous, especially for a place with a pretty ugly reputation, Ekosodin.

It was past midnight already. Down the dim lit path between the closely built buildings two ladies walked their way home quietly. One had a tall and slim figure with her gown billowing in the wind's effect.
The other was shorter and quite plump.
The tall one brought out her phone from her purse to check the time.
"its a quarter past five" she uttered
"Good thing we're almost home" said the other.
The journey was going well, at least it was, until a faint cry was heard from afar.
The two of them stopped in their tracks and held each other by the hands, they tilt their heads to listen from where the cry was coming. But it stopped. They continued walking, but this time faster, almost a run.

They were almost home now, three compounds away. And then they heard it again. It was like a sharp knife that cut through their ears.
It came from the house to the left.
"whats happening there" asked the taller one rhetorically, with fright in her voice.
"It's definitely not something good" replied the other "I suggest we better run home now that we're close"
The shorter one was about leaving when she was caught by the hands.
"wait, don't you think we should eavesdrop?" the tall one suggested, "it could be something really bad happening to our neighbour, we could be of help"

"No Funmi, please. I don't have the heart to do that" the short one said "look around, it's just the two of us here in this darkness, anything could happen, don't you value your life
"I'm going home, you can have a peek if you want" she withdrew her hand and left hurriedly.

"See you soon" the tall one said
Then she edged closer to the house and placed an ear close to the window.

There was total silence now, a moment later she heard a crash, then a splash of water and a gurgle. It was soon followed by deep heavy breaths.
Someone was being drowned.

"please I beg you, forgive me" a weak female voice pleaded" till I die I'll never come close to you again"
A couple of male voices bursted into a very ruthless laughter
"Till you die?" said a deep male voice "you're dying now on this chair where you sit, by the hands of your supposed lover
"In your next life you'll think twice before offending a man"

" Oh lord, oh please" the girl cried and whimpered "please I beg you I'm too young to die, I have a life to live, my sick mother needs me, please I beg you"

"Stone" the same male voice spoke, it sounded like a call
"Captain" another male voice replied.
"Take the knife, I'll give you the honour of taking her life just as I gave you the honour of taking her love"
"Thank you Captain"

Funmi, though in shock, had heard enough. Someone, she doesn't know who, was about to be killed. She had to do something before it's late.
Quickly she brought out her phone and dialed the number of her police friend, Mr Sam. It ranged on end without an answer while she listened intently to what was going on in the house.

"You, how cruel can you be" the girl sobbed "I trusted you with my life, I loved you completely with my heart"
"You have now learnt how much to trust. It'll come in handy in your next life" said stone.

"You're a devil Tu..."
A loud slapped knocked her off before she could complete her speech.

There was the sound of a knife being drawn from its sheat
"Goodbye Beatrice"
And she choked
The choke of Death

Funmi's phone fell from her hands in shock. She had just witnessed a murder
There was nothing left to do. She picked up her phone and sprang home as fast as she could.
Upon arriving at her veranda, she thundered on the door with every force she could muster.
"Who's there"? Shouted the lady from inside
"It's Funmi !"

The door had barely opened before Funmi pounced on it, knocking the lady inside off her feet, then slammed it shut.

TBC

1 Like

Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by Nobody: 12:26pm On Mar 08, 2017
Nyc Story Pls Proceed.

1 Like

Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 1:45pm On Mar 08, 2017
holuwanoisy111:
Nyc Story Pls Proceed.

Thanks.
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 2:25pm On Mar 08, 2017
FUNMI
(chapter One)

Preface
Every stranger is a friend. Every stranger is a Foe
- Luqman Morrison

I stood under the shade of one of the campus trees. It was a very hot afternoon and several people were lined up in a queue. I saw it walking towards me, although I was startled I didn't move an inch. It was a rock, a huge one, as tall as me. It had a head and limbs like humans.... do yet it was a rock, I could tell. It stretched out it's arms to hug me. My mind was hesitant but my body was motionless. We were very close now, just an inch apart and it's arms almost wrapped around me. Then the grounds shook. Vibrating rapidly. Everyone around went helter-skelter. The queue disorganized.
Just between me and the stone something emerged from the soil. Like the fang of a giant snake, it was as tall as me, as tall as the rock , and also with limbs but without head.
The once frenzy crowd was now watching interestingly.
The huge Fang pushed the rock out of balance and tried to drag me away. I relented, and when the rock had regained it balance it lurched after me, with a dagger in its hand.
The fang was quick enough to throw itself between us. The dagger went straight through its middle. But it's hand did enough damage to hit the rock hard and shatter it to the ground.

Then I heard my name being called.
"Funmi
"Funmi... Funmi.. Wake up or you'll be late for lectures"
I opened my eyes to see my room-mate and my best friend, Chidi , standing before me , it was then I became aware that I had been dreaming.

I closed my eyes tight due to the sudden sunlight that reached me from the window. When I raised my eyes towards the wall clock to check the time I was surprised to see that it was past 9. I had really been sleeping for long.
I have to hurry up I thought.
My prayers were made in ten minutes then I got down from my bed and walked to the bathroom to freshen up.
I examined myself carefully in the mirror. The bruise I sustained on my cheek a fortnight ago after hitting the front door squarely in the face was gone was gone. Although patches of pink is still visible around the area, thanks to my very light skin.

I'm the kind of girl you'd rather call natural ; Barely fixes weavon and other sorts of adornments girls wear. I have quite a long hair for an average Nigerian girl so I always let it fall relaxed on my shoulders.
And yes, I'm religious and spiritual too. I put in my greatest effort to live every day by God's word, the Holy Bible. I'll be turning twenty two come September and I'm yet to be in a romantic relationship with any man.
I consider this one of my greatest achievements in life... Keeping my promise to God, keeping my chastity. Keeping my purity.

Lectures went quite well when compared with previous days. Being a fresher had been very demanding. Beside the rigorous studies I had to adapt to a new way of life, a new city and different calibres of people. The real test of adaptation just came two weeks ago when Chidi and me were on our way home from night class. The first time I've ever witnessed someone being killed. It changed my perception of everything.. Most especially how I interact with strangers. Beside Chidi I never told anyone I was there when it happened ... I won't find it funny being in the center of campus conversations.

As I walked down the road leading home from class I could see, from the corner of my eyes, four guys pointing fingers at me. My heart leaped.
It leaped not just because I was being pointed at.. But because the guys pointing at me had disturbing looks. Three of them had tattoos, earnings and piercings all over their bodies and one with a bag that hung over his shoulders...... They looked like a gang of some sort.
They went from pointing to whistling.
"Fine girl, come"
I heard one of them say
"Babe, I dey call you" another one said as I increased my Pace.
They too, advanced towards me. Fear gripped my heart with a cold hand. They were quicker than me and before I could run I was caught by the hands.
"yellow sisi" the one with the bag called. "we're not trying to hurt you. We just wanna be friends"
Even though my heart was pounding hard on my chest I wasn't going to show it. I kept a brave demeanour. "I'm not interested in your friendship" I said brusquely pulling my hand away from his grip. He chuckled..
We stood motionless facing each other for a moment that seemed like days. I was thinking hard how to flee while he wore a sinister smile. This was where I needed one of those miracles from God.

Just then, I heard a voice from behind "What's the matter here" it asked. I turned around to see a guy my age group walking towards us. He looked calm. The way he walked, the way he spoke... He made it seem like he's got everything under his control.
"Let her go" he commanded.
The guy who wore a bag hissed and cursed under his breath. He's expression turn from the sinister smile he wore into something even more dangerous, it was pure contempt.
"One day we shall know who's boss in this campus" he said before he spat. "Come on guys let's go" and the four of them left.
My fear was suddenly joined with confusion.

"Good riddance to bad rubbish" muttered the newest stranger . "By the way I'm Tunde" he stretched his hand for a handshake..
"I'm Funmi" I said as we shook hands
"Who are they please" I asked. With tremor in my voice.
"Some of the bad guys around" he replied "you must be new here"
"Yes, I'm a fresher..... But how come... You scared them away"
He sighed
"don't mind my many questions please" I quickly added
"No. No problem. I just happen to have my way here... You know I'm pretty connected"
"Alright, thanks for coming to my rescue"
"You're welcome. Just make sure you don't walk home alone next time. And be careful who you make friends with"
"I copy.. "

Tunde walked me home. Probably making sure I arrive in one piece.
Then I bade him goodbye.

Just as I was about closing my door.. I saw him again. The one with the bag. Staring coldly at me from the end of my street.. I was being stalked.

TBC

1 Like

Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by gosaking(m): 6:24pm On Mar 08, 2017
This is interesting , keep it going. I can't wait to read more .

1 Like

Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 9:13pm On Mar 08, 2017
gosaking:
This is interesting , keep it going. I can't wait to read more .

Thanks for reading.
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 9:18pm On Mar 08, 2017
Funmi
(Chapter Two)

Preface: Say we'll go there, sometime... to that pier... even if we only ever just talk about it.
- Rose to Jack (Titanic)

I walked pretty fast trying to get to the canteen nearby as the hunger was becoming too much for me to bear.
"Hey!" I heard someone's call from behind. As I turned around I saw Tunde striding towards me with a grin. "what's up" he asked as he drew level with me.
"I'm cool" I replied returning the smile. "How was class" he asked
"Went well. What about you"
"well.... it's been a nice day" he said scratching the back of his head "But I don't do classes"
"What then do you do? "
"I mean... I'm not a student"
"Come off it" I laughed
"I'm serious"
"Hmm. OK I'll go with your word" I said.
I wanted to ask what he does for a living... what he's always doing around campus.... but those were his personal issues so I kept silent. And silent he went too. so we walked in silence for long.

Oh this is awkward I thought rolling my eyes over. I kept rummaging my thoughts to bring up something to break the awkward silence.
I twisted and fiddled my fingers subconsciously behind my back that I even forgot I was hungry..

When I turned sideways our eyes met for a fleeting moment before I looked away. But his eyes stayed on me much longer.
I direly wished for the Lord to spirit me away. It was uncomfortable.

"What are you thinking" He asked suddenly. It was a relief for me, at least something was being said.
"Uhm.. Nothing in particular.. I'm just hungry" I blurted out.
"There's a restaurant nearby" he suggested
" Actually I was on my way there before you came along "
"I see. And you don't mind me coming to eat with you?"

I wasn't sure what answer to give.
Firstly I didn't want to turn down a polite request from a new friend but I had the feeling it's going to be some kind of a date. Secondly I wasn't good at conversing with guys and I didn't want more awkward moments.
Finally I gave in.
"It's ok" I replied with a note of discomfort in my voice.

He held the bead curtains of the canteen open for me. A gesture that made me went all pink.

"I'll be your host " he said as we took our sits near the end of the canteen ..
I laughed "Don't worry I can handle this myself".
"No no no... " he said waving his fingers at me" Tell me what do you care for"
"Okay.. Just Jollof. I'm okay with that"
Just then the waitress arrived before us.

"What am I serving you Ma, Sir?" she asked with too much Politeness
"Serve a plate of jollof with chicken" he said ... what about drinks" he asked me nicely
"No, water" I answered
"Okay.. Two plates of jollof with chicken and two table water and a coke for me" he spoke with his eyes fixed on the waitress.

My eyes lingered to his face briefly as he spoke to the waitress. I had never looked at him this clear and close before.
His dark brow sat above his eyes like a calligraphic masterpiece. The way his beards trimmed down along his fair skin, his height, he'd surely pass for a model.

He turned to look at me. I quickly dropped my gaze and I felt guilty as I caught myself admiring him.

"So jollof is your favourite ?" he asked
"Yes" I replied with my eyes on the table. I knew very well his eyes were on me. I wondered how he could do that... Looking at people piercingly in the eye.
"I don't have a favourite... I just enjoy anything delicious" He said
"That's good" I tried the best I can to keep up with the conversation.

"How do you feel" his question puzzled me
"About?"
"About having lunch with a new friend"
"I feel good" I lied unconvincingly

"No you don't"...... Surely he knew " I can tell you're shy"..
I chuckled
"Well, you're right. I don't flow easily with strangers" I said mustering some courage to look at him.
"I'm not a stranger"
"Somehow, you are"
He laughed

Just then the waitress appeared with the food. I quickly grabbed a spoon and filled my dry mouth. He was slow to eat. As if he was thinking about something.

"Okay let's make it official now" he said suddenly.
"Weeeee aarrre friends"

The jovial drawl in which he said it made me laughed. I felt myself loosened a bit. Less shy...

"I raised my water up to a cheers and he raised his coke.
"Cheers to our friendship" we sang together. I enjoyed the act.

"So tell me about yourself" He asked
"What do you like to know about me? "
"Anything.. Hobbies.. Family .. Schooling."

"Well.. I'm the last child of four children" I started "And also the only girl"
"You must be getting all the good treatments then" he teased
"Treatment ke." I chuckled "I do enjoy certain privileges though
" I have the best parents I can ever dream of... What else.. "
" That's nice"

"For school.. It isn't news that campus life is bitter-sweet."
"That's correct"
"I'm a fresher by the way, studying architecture".
"Owh " he couldn't hide his gasp "That's.. not a woman's thing"
"Says who" I asked rhetorically
"Says me" he gave me a wink

"And then I love reading books.. My bible, novels.. interesting literatures, sciences textbooks"
"Interesting.. You must be a devoted Christian"
"Yes, I used to be a member of the Redeem choir in Surulere before coming here"
"Very interesting.... Perhaps I can learn a thing or two about God from you"
"I'll be willing to teach" I said with a smile

"Your turn.. Tell me about yourself" I required
"Hmmm" he sighed as I anticipated
"I don't have a family.. Unlike you"
"How do you mean"
"I lost my mom and dad in a car crash when I was 7"
"Oh dear" I couldn't hide how sympathetic I was "So sad"
"I was their only child"
"I'm so sorry I brought back the memory"
"It's nothing.. I'm over it now"
"Sorry again my dear"
"Thanks"

I felt a sudden freedom to satisfy my curiosity
"So how come you're not a student but you're always around campus" I asked
"I used to be. I dropped out although I still live around"
"Oh .. Why.. What happened"
"Financial issues.. Now I can continue again but I don't think I have a place in formal education anymore"
"Ha... That's not nice to say"
"It is... For me... Everyone has their place in life"
"That's True...
"So what do you love doing"
"Breaking hearts"
"You're not serious" we both laughed
"Just joking... But I do love watching football. A guy's thing you know"
"Indeed"

We spent a few more minutes without talking but eating and drinking what's left of our meal. I checked the time and it was past three.
"I have to get home now" I said
"Alright" he said then he walked over to pay the bills.

He opened the curtains for me again as we went out.
"Don't be so much of a gentleman" I told him
"As the last child you need more of that" he joked.

He once again walked home with me. Along the way we exchanged contacts.
We soon arrived at my house and we exchange goodbyes before he left.
I took one last look over my shoulders, watching as he strode out of sight.
I smiled.

TBC

1 Like

Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by Chummypinky(f): 10:26am On Mar 09, 2017
interesting cnt wait for d next part

1 Like

Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 1:05pm On Mar 09, 2017
Funmi
(Chapter Three)

Preface : "And so the lion fell in love with the lamb"
- Edward to Bella (Twilight)

It was a phone call that woke me up that morning.
I picked up my phone to see that I had missed five calls from my mother. It was past five. I feared It might be something really serious . I was about to return the call when again, her call came in. I swiped to answer immediately.

"Hello mummy" I spoke sleepily
" Omo mi" She called me. It was the voice that echoed a tender motherly affection. The way she always call her children whenever she senses trouble.
"O maami" I replied
"Omo mi daada" she called me again "Bawo ni?"
" Mowa daada maami" I replied "kini?"

"I had a dream about you" she said "and it wasn't a pleasant one at all"
" What was it about?" I asked. My mind was quite alert now.
"I saw you dancing with a rock." she revealed
"Dancing with a rock?" I asked in amusement and surprise
"Yes" she continued "we all know rocks cannot move on their own not to talk of dancing.... But this one had hands and legs o.. In the end it held out a knife trying stab you with it ("God forbid" she muttered) but I don't know how it happened it just fell to the ground in pieces. Nothing happened to you"

It was a similar dream I had a few days ago which I still hadn't told anyone yet. It must mean something serious I thought.
"Oh mummy, thank God nothing happened" I said

"Even though my Funmi... That doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful. And above all be prayerful. Never cease praying to God "

"I've always been prayerful mummy"
"Keep on praying my child
"Enikankan koni se ò ni ijanba ni oruko Jesu" she prayed
"Amin"
"Gbogbo ilakaka ota ni yio ja si asan ni oruko Jesu"
"Amin"
"Take care dear"
"I will mummy. Thank you"

It's been two weeks now since that phone call and all had been going well. Nothing had happened. Nothing had changed ..
Well.. Except for my feelings.

It was strange, strange but sweet. Something I had never felt before. It was a mixture of jealousy, want and euphoria.

Could it be The way he playfully calls me by my name. The way he held my hands when he strolls with me or how he noticed I didn't find it pleasant when I see him around other girls and he'd try to avoid their company.
I couldn't find the perfect word for it.
I was afraid to admit that I'm in love.
I would just enjoy this strange sweet feeling.…. Enjoy his wonderful company.

I was sitting on the bench in front of my house that Saturday afternoon, reading when he appeared out of the blue in front of me.
"Surprise Visit" he shouted
"Tunde" I flinched "You scared me
"Am I now a monster?" He laughed
"Nah.. Why the surprise visit anyway" I asked faking seriousness even though I was more than happy to have him in my presence.
"Nothing. I just feel it's fun to do it"
"Suit yourself"

He sat down on the bench and drew close to me. Looking at me in the face he asked
"You look vexed...why?"
"Nothing"
"Okay I'm sorry my visit is a surprised one..." he apologized "I promise not to do so again "
I scowled and looked away from him.
" Come on Funmi lemme see that smile" he said nudging me with his shoulder

How long could I hold my pretence.
My lips twitched into a smile as I turned to face him. "Apology accepted"
"So what are you doing with your free Saturday" he asked
"I'm reading Twilight:" I answered placing the book in front of us"It's my favorite... I never get tired of it"
"Interesting. What's it about?"
"A young girl falling in love with a Vampire"
"That's strange"
"Strange indeed.."
"Let's read"

We read in silence for some minutes
"I don't usually read books" he said suddenly " but I'm going to read this one"
"You should" I said
"Can I borrow it home?"
"Sure"

We spent the rest of the day chit-chatting about the Twilight Saga, occasionally laughing giddily at his jokes..

"I've spent more than I thought I would spend with you" he said as dusk finally fell
"Yes you have"
"lemme comman be going" he said. We both laughed
"Is that how you were taught in school?"
"I wasn't always present in class so maybe I missed the part where my teacher taught that"
"Yeye" I teased

He was hesitant in standing up and so was I.
Suddenly he took my hands, not standing up. He was staring at them.
"You have beautiful hands" the words were almost a whisper
"I know"

His gaze moved up to my face. Our eyes met. And unlike times before.. I didn't look away...
"And a beautiful face too"
"Thank you"
"But your soul is the most beautiful"
I went mute

His hand reached up to my face. My heart was racing faster than normal now. When he touched my cheeks it was like a heated sugar sinking into butter.
A sweet warmth.
He leaned closer.
I turned my face away. I knew where it could lead.

"I love you".
When the words reached me... It was like a million fireworks going off in my head at the same time.
I felt my voice leaving me.
I turned to look at him
"I.. I." I stuttered... I couldn't say it back. Even if I wanted to..

"I know you feel the same way… but it doesn't matter if you say it back... I just want to express how I feel about you."
Perhaps he could read my mind.

"I love you too" the words left my mouth like a bubble leaving a bubble-wand
It was the first time I ever said the words to a guy who's not family.
I felt both guilt and pleasure.
"But" I continued
"But?" he asked
"I don't want a relationship... Let's just remain the way we are"
"I respect anything you say"

He held me up and pulled me into a hug. One that seemed to have lasted forever.... but when we pulled apart it felt like it didn't last a second. Because I wanted more.

TBC

1 Like

Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 9:25pm On Mar 10, 2017
please if you're reading and you like or love it I wanna see your comment.
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by ladySuperb(f): 3:14am On Mar 11, 2017
nice work by the way!!!!
kwantinue......brother buhari is back more please!!!! don't let anything happen to my Funmi oooo

1 Like

Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 10:50am On Mar 11, 2017
ladySuperb:
nice work by the way!!!!

kwantinue......brother buhari is back
more please!!!!
don't let anything happen to my Funmi oooo

Lool.. He's back Indeed.
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 10:53am On Mar 11, 2017
Funmi
(Chapter Four)

Preface : Love is cold, love is warmth. Too close you burn, too far you freeze.
- Prize Nwenearizi

It was raining heavily that afternoon and everyone was huddled at various corners outside the classroom waiting for the rain to subside before leaving.

The sky casted a shade of dark grey and thick clouds had hidden the sun from view, it was so dark you might think an eclipse was about to occur.

The morning weather never indicated any sign that it might rain later and because of that I wore a light gown...

He stood beside me that afternoon, his right arm placed around my shoulders. Every now and then I would quiver, thanks to the cold.
The look on his face was utterly sullen.
"What's the matter" I asked
"Nothing" he replied curtly.
He pulled his jacket off and wore it over me . "You need this more than I do" he said.
As I turned to look at him to say 'thank you' something disturbing caught my eyes.

He was wearing a t-shirt underneath the jacket, and as he pulled it off the sleeve of the t-shirt upturned a bit, exposing a tattoo that was drawn around his upper right arm like an armband. It depicted a skull sitting on a heart... drawn repeatedly around the arm.

He was oblivious of the fact that I'd just noticed something odd.
"Tunde?" I called him. My voice was almost a whisper.
"Hon" he replied
"What's this?" I asked pointing to the tattoo.
"Oh" he quickly slid the sleeves down to cover it from view.
"That" he continued with a stutter "That's.. That's... I did that a long time ago.... "
" That's really really really not cool you know.." I said looking directly in his eye.

Discomfort was written all over his face. His eyes were fixed on the floor...
"Yeah"
"Yeah?"
"sorry... I have an appointment to meet up with in about thirty minutes" he said
"But it's raining.."
"Rain or sun I need to be there
"Take care dear" he kissed me on the cheek "What are you..?"
And before I could finish the words he took a long dash into the rain and soon was out of sight.

Night had fallen and the rain had subsided to a drizzle. It was cold so I had myself covered almost entirely by my blanket, leaving just my face out. Chidi was busy with her phone on her bed while I was busy with my thoughts on mine.

The incident in the afternoon kept running through my mind like a treadmill. To make issues worse, I've been calling Tunde ever since I arrived home but no answer. It was curiosity fused with perplexity and worry. I needed explanations, I was curious to know why he had something so dark tattooed on his arm.… and what was so important that he'd leave me alone.. and even going through a heavy downpour for it. Something just didn't feel right...

Chidi being a three hundred level student, having more years and more knowledge about campus then me , I thought she might at least have some answers...

"Chidi" I called her
"What's up babe" she replied smiling, not taking her eyes off her phone... apparently having a chat with someone.
"I want to ask you about something"
"Go on.. "
" Have you.. Have you.. erm" I was thinking hard about how to phrase the question. "Have you ever come across a symbol"
"What symbol?" she asked nonchalantly
"A skull on a heart"
She looked alarmed now. She dropped her phone to turn to me.
The way she looked gave me an apprehensive feeling.
"Hmmmm" she sighed heavily
"Well well well...' She continued "If the silent rumours are true... It's the symbol of the Hackers
"I heard they're the most secret of all secret societies on campus"
There was a loud bang in my head... Followed by a continuous ringing in my ears. I was quite speechless for a moment because I didn't know what to think.

" But how did you come across it?" she asked "I've been in this school for more than two years and I've never seen that symbol... Only been hearing of it"
"It was a tattoo I saw on someone today"
"Who?"
"I don't know him" I lied
"I don't think the Hackers will go about flaunting their symbol publicly... given how secret they are..
"Are you sure of what you saw?"
"Maybe what I saw was just a regular tattoo" I said to avoid more questions
"Maybe" she said giving me one last look before returning to her phone.

It can't be true I thought. Perhaps what I saw was just a regular tattoo. It had nothing to do with a secret society of any sort.
I can't dare to imagine Tunde being a member of any.. I killed the thought before I could complete it.

Just then there was a loud bang on the front door which made me jerk...
"who's that" Chidi asked
"let me check"
I got down from my bed, took a glimpse at the time and saw that it was almost eleven.
Who would be knocking at door by Eleven in the night I wondered.
There was another bang, and then another. I hurried to the door "Who is it? " I shouted. "It's Tunde!"
" What?"
"Please let me in!"
What on earth is he doing at my house at this time.
I was hesitant.... and deep down..... scared.
"Give me a minute "I told him
I hurriedly changed from my skimpy night dress into a Cardigan and skirt.
"Tunde is it you?" I asked when I got back just to be sure.
"Yes it's me!"
"But why must it be at this time?" I asked
"Hon there isn't much time"
"Much time for what?"
"Will you just open please"

I opened the bolts slowly and apprehensively , anticipating whatever it was that had brought him here at this hour.

Finally I opened the door.
There he stood in the darkness of the night. Still on the clothes he left me with in the afternoon. But was completely wet head to foot by the heavy downpour. I felt a surge of pity when I saw him shiver.
"Tunde what's wrong" I asked "what's the matter... I've been worried"
"I'll explain when I'm inside" he said softly.
"Okay come in"
I noticed an unusual car parked at a corner as I closed the door.

"Did you come with a car?" I asked
"Yes, I drove here"
"Never knew you could drive...
"Have your sit" I said leading him to the couch in the living room.

But instead of sitting he grasped my palms.
I turned around to face him and saw that he was kneeling.
"Please forgive me" He mouthed. The words were barely audible.
I was confused.
"Forgive you for what?"

TBC

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by ladySuperb(f): 12:00pm On Mar 11, 2017
u update and u can't come and tell me that food yaff ready !!!!!! Oga ooo
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 12:41pm On Mar 11, 2017
grin
ladySuperb:
u update and u can't come and tell me that food yaff ready !!!!!!
Oga ooo
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by Missmossy(f): 3:49pm On Mar 11, 2017
Such an intriguing story, more please cheesy
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by empress101(f): 5:08pm On Mar 11, 2017
cry now am scared..
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 3:34pm On Mar 12, 2017
empress101:
cry now am scared..

Brace up o
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 3:48pm On Mar 12, 2017
ladySuperb
empress101
Missmossy
Chummypinky
gosaking
holuwanoisy111
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 3:49pm On Mar 12, 2017
Funmi
(Chapter Five)

Preface : You met me at a very strange time in my life.
- Fight club

"Please forgive me" he mouthed. The words were barely audible.
I was confused
"Forgive you for what?"

Just then Chidi emerged from the room. She stood still at the threshold between the inner room and the living room.
I was sure Tunde hadn't noticed her presence...

"I..I.. I'm not who you think I am" He said. I could feel the heavy guilt and remorse emanating from his words. And even though the other part of my mind was busy connecting the dots, seeing where it was all leading to, I asked..
"How do you mean?"

He moved his eyes from the floor and settled them on mine. Like a puppy seeking clemency from its owner. He stood up, pulled me towards the couch and we sat.
He sat with his face buried in his hands while my arms were folded, glued to my breasts.
I was coiled.

"I have some confessions to make. He continued l
"The tattoo you saw today... That was no ordinary tattoo"
I said nothing, this wasn't really coming as a surprise now because it's what my mind have been guessing.
"I'm part of a secret confraternity" It took me a moment to finally digest the brutal reality my ears had been slapped with.
I was mute.

"We are called the Hackers" he continued "We are quite peaceful, We live by the 'an eye for an eye business' and sometimes we take it even further...

I could only close my eyes as he told me what my ears don't want to hear.. but nevertheless.. needed to hear.

" Secrecy is what we never joke with. And the protection of our secrecy was what led me to you

"About a month ago we hacked a lady called Beatrice. Hack.. That's our term for kill.
"I'd have said she deserved it if
I'm still who I was before I met you.

"That night, I was pulling the knife out of her body when I heard a sound that wasn't coming from within the house"

As he said that my mind quickly flee to the memory of my phone hitting the ground that night; from the shock of witnessing a murder.
It was the creepiest feeling listening to him speaking about how he killed a human being.

"We rushed out of the house to see you running. That was the first time I ever saw you. Although you could never have known that you were being watched.
"My superior asked me to do the deed immediately to keep the murder a secret.
"But I told him hurries are no good in catching a rat. I told him I want to have fun with you first. To kill your heart before your body. So I was give a month to do that. I stalked you for days until I came up with a plan. To come to you as a saviour.

"The first day you met me. It was staged. I staged it with the help of my inferiors.

"As I got to know you, I began to see you differently. You have a heart unlike any other girl's I've ever been exposed to.
"I really did fall in love with you
"And I still am"

I listened to him without interruption, it all sounded like the narration of a movie

"Now... My dear Funmi" he called me. The way he used to call me when I was just beginning to fall into a doomsday love.
"Nows it's been a month.
"And my superior wants the deed done... He wants to end your life.
"Even though I've told him multiple times that our secrecy is safe. That you still don't know who those murderers were that night
"But I won't allow it to happen.. It won't happen... If you can promise me one thing."

My mind has traveled far beyond the confines of my living room. I couldn't explain to myself how I got into this mess. I didn't know what to feel toward Tunde. Love or hate... toward the murderer sitting beside me.

"What am I promising you" I asked him.
"Just promise me you'll do as I ask and you you'll be safe".
"You still think I can trust you?"
"No. I'm not expecting you to. But this is your only chance. You have no other choice
"They'll be here in matter of minutes"

"And what are you asking me to do?" I asked
"I'm taking you to a sanctuary for the time being"
"And what will happen to them, the rest of your people?".
"I have my plans for them"

He stoop up and pulled me up.
"We need to go now" He said in a pleading voice.

"Chidi is coming with us" I said
"Who?" he asked
"Chidi" I repeated pointing at her.

Chidi smiled and shook her head.
"What joke is this" she asked rhetorically "Please sir, you can kindly use the exit door"
"Funmi have you gone nuts?"

Then came a scary and heavy bang on the door.
Chidi walked to the door but before before she could say anything another bang had hit the door. As if someone was trying to burst it open.
Chidi flinched back.
"They're here Tunde said quietly"

It was then that I acknowledged the true horror unfolding before me.

"Let's use the back door" Chidi said panicking.
She too, had acknowledge the danger.
She led the way. Still on her night gown. I fled after her. Tunde in our wake.

We were out in the drizzling night.
"We need to get to the car" Tunde whispered
As we emerged from the other end of the compound I saw the car. Thanks to the darkness made it there without been spotted, but there's no way we could drive out unnoticed.

We crawled our way into the car, opening and closing the doors silently and unseen.
Chidi and me sat at the backseat.
It was when Tunde turned on the ignition and revved the engine that I saw them clearly.
The bright light from the car shone directly on them. The men I saw were horrible. I quickly turned away and bury my face into my hands, praying silently to God.
I could feel Chidi shivering beside me.

With my face still locked in my hands, I felt the speed we moved with as Tunde drove us to God knows where. I was a hundred percent sure we were being followed.

Soon I could feel that the road was no longer smooth but bumpy. I managed to pull my face out and take a glimpse at the area we are in but all I could see was darkened night and bushes between the road.

I turned back, at a distance I saw the headlights of another vehicle on our tail.

Tunde stopped in front a white building.
We hopped down
"Run in" Tunde shouted at us, leading the way into the building….through a door which led to a long dark corridor.

We emerged from the end of the corridor into room with windows that allowed light from the moon.
Tunde paused there. Chidi and me stooped abruptly after him.
I hadn't realise how hard my heart had been pounding. Fear had washed all over me. Even worse on Chidi.
He turned to face us,panting.
"Funmi" he called me. I didn't reply but he continued.
"We're in Udogbo. When it's time you'll know what to do"

He opened the door in front of him and walked in.
We walked in after him.

It was a dimly lit cavernous room. Very large our house would fit into it. The only light source in the room was a single candle that shone from a candle holder to the left.

There were chairs made of plastic in the middle ; arranged like seats of an audience. And to my horror. I could make out caskets. Many caskets, some laid upon each other at the far end of the room. There were red inscriptions all over the walls. I had the feeling they were written with blood.

I stopped looking around. I grabbed Chidi by the shoulder and we sobbed together.

"Take your seats" Tunde said. The words echoed off the walls of the room.

As we sat down, the door through which we came in flung open.

I saw them coming in. Hefty men, five of them,with physiques that could crush Chidi and me to dust.

"Well, well, well" Said the one in the front. He was the least biggest, but nonetheless he was big.
"Well played Stone" he continued with a grin. "Well played"..
Tunde walked to meet him and they were locked in an embrace after a handshake

I was dazed in disbelief. We had been tricked. It was the only thing I could conclude.

TBC

1 Like

Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by empress101(f): 4:15pm On Mar 12, 2017
jeez.. I dnt evn want to think that tunde played them.. #trust nobody#
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by Nobody: 7:46pm On Mar 12, 2017
What The Bleep So Diz Tunde Of A Guy Is Playin D Girls.All 4 All Bros Nyc Story U Get Here Oh.
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 11:33am On Mar 13, 2017
holuwanoisy111:
What The Bleep So Diz Tunde Of A Guy Is Playin D Girls.All 4 All Bros Nyc Story U Get Here Oh.

Thanks bro
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 11:34am On Mar 13, 2017
Funmi
(Chapter Six)

Preface: I feel so unsure. As I take your hand. And lead you to the dance floor.
- George Michael (careless whisper)

They chatted in whispers and chuckles. He wore a menacing smile then he turned and walked slowly to me.
"I'm going to make it swift captain" he said as he reached me.
"Ah stone, the cakes are yours for the eating" the one called captain replied.
The other four stood behind captain, arms folded, watching with apparent glee.

As He reached me he squat. I feared for a moment what his next move would be. He held my face down and we both looked into each other's eyes. Those eyes that were once the bait of my heart. But now I'm not sure of my feelings.
"Will you still honour your promise?" he ask in a voice so little only I could hear him.

Too stunned to speak, I nodded my head.
"You'll do whatever I tell you no matter what?"
I nodded
"At the end of this room, there's a door-less passage to the left. When I tell you to, you'll run through it without looking back."
I nodded still. I had to have believe in him..... believe in a wolf who could tear me apart in a heartbeat. But it was the only ray of hope I could cling to.
" Find your way out" he continued "I left my phone in the car. Make the calls you can"

He stood up and walked over to where Chidi was cowered.
He raised her meek head up. Her eyes were squinted as though everything around was burning into it.

He pulled out a revolver that he had tucked in his pants.... pointed it at Chidi's head.

The shot that came out after he pulled the trigger echoed off the walls of the room. It screamed the name CHIDI in my ears. It was immediately followed by a heavy fist-blow he aim at her head,knocking her off the chair.
She sprawled on the floor, scattering the chairs behind her.

It was a nightmare coming live before my eyes. I screamed. I screamed so loud until I could no longer hear my voice.

I fell on top her. Crying and weeping and moaning.

Just before Tunde forced me up again I heard it, I felt if. Her heart was beating.

He forced me back on the chair. For a reason I couldn't fathom he dropped his gun beside me. I looked at him, not knowing whether to spit on his face. Tears were leaving my eyes faster than a downhill river.

He walked back to captain.
"Forgive my impatience, the knife would have made a more silent kill"

"Ah Stone" captain said to him "that strike was the best I've seen from you in a while.. It wou.. "
" Nonetheless" Tunde cut in "I'd prefer to use the knife on her" there was menace in his voice.

"OK here you go" said captain as he pulled a dagger in from his boot "There you go stone" He handed it over to Tunde

What happened next was a movement that was too quick for my eyes to catch.
Captain's neck was suddenly locked tight in Tunde's right arm.
Tunde's left hand pointed the dagger to captain's belly.
Captain struggle for both words and freedom as the other four quickly closed in.

"Any more step and I'll run him through" he shouted "STEP BACK" I could feel the burning anger in his voice. They obeyed.

"Stone are you out of your mind" one of the others asked "Are you mad?"
"It ends here, this night" Tunde growled

"Funmi run!" He shouted at his highest pitch.

Suddenly it was all coming to me. I was beginning to connect the dots. I had to pick up the gun he left with me.
Chidi was not dead, because just as I mustered the courage to pick up the gun she coughed.

I began to realise..... Tunde never shot her. He might have only faked it and knocked her out to reaffirm captain's trust.

I pulled her up and she looked around as though she was seeing the place for the first time.

"Funmi I said run!" Tunde shouted again
"She's going nowhere!" Shouted another man
"Don't dare me Viper" Tunde growled
"The gun is quicker than the knife"
"We shall find out"

Too afraid to run, and Chidi now fully back to consciousness, we stood clutching each other for support. I held the gun weakly by my fingers.

The one called Viper put a foot forward,
Tunde, still struggling to hold captain in place, moved the dagger closer to captain.
Viper laughed
"Damn you Stone!" one of the other three behind Viper yelled. He was the biggest of them all.
He shut his revolver into the air and pointed it at Tunde.
Tunde saw what was coming, he pressed the knife deep into captain.
"Noooo!"
"You bastard!" Viper yelled

I watched Tunde pull a gun from captain's trousers and I saw what was coming.
Viper pulled the trigger at Tunde. Tunde, using captain's body as a shield against viper's shot, hit back.

Amidst the fire exchanges, Chidi and me made our run for it.
As we reached the threshold of the passage Tunde had told me about I stopped.
I couldn't leave him there alone even if I wanted to. I had a gun, I could help him, even though it was a foolish thing to do....

I told Chidi exactly what Tunde had told me to do after telling her my plan.
"Go" I told her as she tried to talk me out of it."i know what I'm doing"
"God be with you" she ran off
"And him too" I whispered to myself..

I turned facing the room now.
I watched Tunde ducking and dodging in between the the chairs, still holding captain's lifeless body as a shield.
One man was down, the second went down.
The third shot Tunde's hand just before he managed to shoot back. The same hand he used in clutching captain.
Captain fell to the floor clattering the chairs before him, leaving Tunde exposed.
And then it was just him and Viper left.

"So this is what you choose" Viper said after they stood pointing guns at each for long.
"I choose to end it all" Tunde retorted, his arm bleeding profusely.
"And for that you'll die"

"No he wont!" I shrieked with my cracked voice from where I stood, pointing the gun I was holding at Viper.
Their heads jerked to my direction
Viper laughed coldly
"Funmi?" Tunde questioned my presence in disbelief..

As Viper tried to take advantage of Tunde's distraction.…..and I realised what he was about to do.….

I braced myself, gun already pointed at him, eyes closed, fingers geared.... I shot....

But he was quicker than me.....

TBC

1 Like

Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 12:19pm On Mar 14, 2017
Last chapter coming
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by noshiobec(f): 2:54pm On Mar 14, 2017
what a nice piece. I don't hv to be told u are a Uniben student with d Ekosodin thing. can't wait for d next update .More ink to ur pen.luv u
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 3:31pm On Mar 14, 2017
noshiobec:
what a nice piece. I don't hv to be told u are a Uniben student with d Ekosodin thing. can't wait for d next update .More ink to ur pen.luv u

Haha.. Thanks Jare
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 4:17pm On Mar 14, 2017
Funmi
(Chapter Seven)

Preface: Just this life, I need no other. Just this day, I need no more . Just this moment, let it all stop here , Let it all stop here. I've had my fill.
- Dido (Us two little gods)

I sat with my back resting on the wall. him lying flat by my side and my hand cupped around his cheek.
Me and him, the only two surviving souls in the semi-dark cavernous room.
I did not care about the other bodies laying lifelessly, scattered about in the room. I did not care about the room itself as I did when we first came in and I did not care if I had just took the life of a man.
I locked the guilt somewhere, in a distant universe within my mind. After this night it may surface again if it wishes and then I would care....
Because now, there's only one thing that mattered most in the world.
The man dying beside me. The only man whose name could make my heart sing.
I never even cared anymore about how many life had gone by his hands, about how he had lived a life filled with murders. How could I now hold that against him. Against the man who had just put his life on the line to save mine.

The blood gushing out of his hand and out of his rib (where Viper must have shot him) were enough to kill him already, but he was strong. Strong for me.
We were silent for long and I feared he was going unconscious so I called him.
"Dear"
He didn't move, he didn't speak. So I was about calling again when he moved his hand to hold mine cupping his cheek.
His cheek, my hand cupping it, and his hand cupping my hand. We stayed like that until the my name soared feebly above his lips.
"My Funmi"

I gasped as I couldn't contain how relieved I felt to hear him speak.
"Yes, Tunde"
"How are you" his voice was as weightless as feather.
"No dear, I should be the one asking" I said. "I'm fine so long you are too"
"I'm fine" he said
I smiled faintly

I watched as he failed and groaned in his attempt to roll over his body. His weakness weakened me.
"Please stay still, okay?" I pleaded.
There was a long silence which married the semi-darkness in the room.

Then he voiced "I'm sorry for putting you in through this mess"
"no please, It's all my fault" I argued "had I not eavesdrop in a business that wasn't mine this wouldn't have happened"

" Hmm" he sighed and continued "but it has turn out to be a good thing after all"
I raised my brows questioning his last words.
"It brought you to me and you've made me see the wrongs in my ways, you've changed me"

I fell short of replies. He continued anyway.
"I couldn't finish The Twilight Saga, but I'm happy I got past that meadow scene.
"The lion fell in love with the lamb, that was what happened to us, although you never knew who I was.

"I admired how Edward would suppress his thirst for Bella
"It was deep for me, because I knew if I had to love you completely, I would also have to completely suppress my thirst for these wrongs."

Tears leaked from my eyes.
"Thank you for giving me the book" he said
"thank you too for reading"
"Yes, indeed" he said

There was a long silence again.

"Funmi" he then called me
"My dear" I replied

"For long I have lived by the sword." he said... "And by the sword I'll be gone."
Even though I knew perfectly what he meant, I asked.
"How do you mean?"
"I mean I'm dying"

"God forbid!" I exclaimed "Please don't say that....... Please..."

"In my life I have watched so many people die. Some, even by my hands. So I know it when death is coming to a man".
"It will come to all of us" I said "But yours won't be today"
He smiled a haughty smile.

After another long silence he asked
"Where is your friend?"
"She's outside. I told her what she must do"
"Good"... "Please tell her I'm very sorry for that blow. I had to do it"
"She'll understand"

"Funmi" he called me again
"Yes, Tunde"
"Please bring the candle here"

I obeyed hurriedly. I stood the candle-holder just a few inches from where he laid. His face was now bright and clear in the glow of the candle light. But the clear sight of his blood made me fall sick.
I groaned inwardly. As I set to return to my previous position he waved his unharmed hand.
"Come here" he said, gesturing to a space in front of him "I want to get a better view of you"
I went and sat there, where we could now see each other perfectly, boring our gaze into each others eyes.
The way he looked at me was like an exiled prince having one last view of his beautiful kingdom.
"I hope God....will " he trailed off with a groan, struggling for words. His breath getting ever deeper.
"Oh sorry Tunde"
"I hope God will forgive me of all my wrongs when I finally meet him" he finally managed to say.
"He will, he's an all forgiving God... But you won't meet him today"
He chuckled

"You're beautiful" he said as he mustered what was apparently his last strength to raise his unharmed hand and touch my face.
"You're beautiful too" I replied, because he really was.
"And I love you" he said as his face turned slowly, unexpectedly to the side. His hand fell from my face.
"I love you too... I always will" I replied..
I waited patiently for him to turn to face me again but he didn't.
"Tunde" I called him but there was no answer.
One minute, two minutes, three minutes, five minutes, ten minutes.... And the realisation started creeping in.

He is gone, he is gone, he is gone. The voice kept playing in my head. No! I yelled inwardly. No! It can't be.
I attempted to shake him but I held back because If I did it might kill him.. So I thought.
But when I waited more and he wasn't turning to face me I did it. Because I couldn't contain the terror exploding within me..
I shook him violently. His body flailed helplessly with every push and pull I gave.
I wept a river on him.
"Tunde please don't go" I cried... a vain cry.
"Funmi is here with you"..

I couldn't stop, and it became worse when my mind flashed back to the the first day we met, the lunch at the restaurant, the evening we confessed our feelings.
I couldn't stop, not when Chidi came running in, surprised to meet the strange scene, not when the police trooped in in her wake and they fought to pull me off his body.
I just couldn't stop.

"Funmi please come and eat" Chidi begged me. "There's nothing you can do to bring him back"
It had been three weeks now and the wound had burrowed ever deeper into me like a bottomless pit. A hole that can never be filled. Because I had finally come to terms with the fact that he was gone. Gone with my heart, gone with my love.

So that night when I went to bed I took with me the jacket, that jacket he used in shielding me from a blistering cold that rainy afternoon.
Because this was the only tangible memory I have of him, and this would be what will shield me from the cold of his permanent absence.
"I'll always love you" I whispered as I closed my eyes to fall sleep.

THE END.

2 Likes

Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by noshiobec(f): 9:16pm On Mar 14, 2017
why end in a tragic manner...... u made me share a tear .Will she ever be able to luv again?
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by lukkky(m): 9:33pm On Mar 14, 2017
noshiobec:
why end in a tragic manner...... u made me share a tear .Will she ever be able to luv again?

Aww.. It's quite the "reap what you sow" effect. Even when I put myself in her shoes it touches me.... But come to think of it, it's quite redeeming for him, redeeming for his past sins, to save the life of innocent Funmi at the expense of his own.
Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by Winters22: 10:02am On Mar 19, 2017
this is captivating.... i love ur writing style....
lemme call some customers.. Chumzypinky, PamelB, Lleigh, Creeza, lankyannie

1 Like

Re: Funmi (A Thrilling Short Story) by Winters22: 10:02am On Mar 19, 2017
this is captivating.... i love ur writing style....
lemme call some customers.. Chumzypinky, PamelB, Lleigh, Creeza, lankyannie

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

S*x As She Taught Me…..(18+)…..part 1 Completed Story. / The Great Tribulation Of John (fantasy) / No More Commonwealth Book Prize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.