Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,803 members, 7,827,951 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? (7556 Views)

Using My NYSC Certificate As Collateral To Get Loan - Good Or Bad Idea / Firstbank Empowers 8000 Youth Corpers (Photos) / Accessible Loan For Serving Youth Corpers Who Want To Start A Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 06, 2012
The worst tin be say, u fit count the number of beans wey they serve u for plate. Those days in NYSC camp at IKARE AKOKO for Ondo state, you go see moon & stars for the Okro soup wey dem serve u.....enjoy bro, it's ur turn.
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by sholavick(f): 3:14pm On Jul 06, 2012
[ :Pquote author=Billyonaire] Its called National orientation, how do now feel about the poor and the needy who have nothing to eat than beans and garri. It was on my menu during NYSC, its now your turn, enjoy your camp life and dont complain.[/quote]

[color=#770077][/color]
U should still be thankful,mine was 2009 batch c bayelsa @ kaima,we were some tmes serve with not well cooked gari(eba feselu) and watered egusi soup dat is tasteless.
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by Ikejiofor: 3:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
NYSC means Now Your Suffering Continues.
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by koruji(m): 3:27pm On Jul 06, 2012
Who is desperate around here other than you folks? It only makes make sense to the likes of you that the "dear" leader is doing his own national service in Aso Rock with a N1 billion a month food budget, while subjecting university graduates to garri and beans?

There is nothing wrong with garri or beans for that matter, but it is not a regular meal package and should not be offered to university graduates as such, except in a nation with a poverty-spreading approach to its future.

In this same Nigeria, some responsible states do not offer garri and beans to their school children for lunch - but this is what our FG offers to university graduates, and is vehemently promoted by their shameless backers.

We know why this happened - as it has always happened. The officials have made off with the food budget for the camp, and substituted garri and beans for what should have been a well-prepared and nutritious meal for those being subjected to physical rigours.

In my service year, the camp commandant heard loud and clear from us, and changed his ways quickly.

I urge the corpers to demand an account of how the food budget is being spent in their camp pronto - enough of this mess.
Refuse to eat the crap, and mount a protest in the camp - you are not slaves in a fiefdom.

Billyonaire: You are so pathetic, if garri and beans reminds you of your poor background, it reminds many us of how far with have come, from grass to self-made billionaires. I offered off-the-book thoughts to the OP to keep her going but you seem to be reminded of your level state of desperation.
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by SpiritofOkija(m): 3:37pm On Jul 06, 2012
Billyonaire: I was made to understand during the orientation process that the food provided were intentional, to enable one cope with any adverse condition one might encounter in the field, the 18KM walk was part of that exercise, I can attest that it was of great help when I was posted to a remote village in Osun State, we often trekked and ate whatever was prepared in their local restaurants, with time one adjusted to the environment and had no reason to make the villagers think we are bigger or richer than them. Its a state of mind.

Dude, Forget state of mind things..

The honest truth is that OBUBRA CAMP in Cross Rivers State is a Hazard waiting to happen.. When I said the water was brown, I really meant it.. The water that comes out of the ground is brown in color. Apparently the terrain of the area is quite difficult so you have to drill to very very great depth ot reach a clean Aquifer.. However, since na government thing, itss done without any real care.. The Camp as at when I served there had 3 boreholes and still the only one that had clean water was the one that had a hand pump.. But because that particular pump is located far from the kitchen, the NYSC kitchen staff dont even bother so they just use the dirty water close to them and say that they boil it..

INfact, when it was my Platoons turn to work the Kitchen, I marshalled the boys in my Platoon to fetch me water from the clean pump.. When the guy that were making the Garri for Lunch came that day, I swear that one of them looked into the pot and said "THIS UNA WATER TODAY CLEAN O!!".. I almost exploded with anger.. So they knew that the water was dirty yet they used it like that nonetheless..

For 3 weeks of Camp, I never ate anything from NYSC kitchen (although I was the one that served the food to my Platoon memebers as Platoon Leader)..

If you say the idea of endurance trek, morning drills and Man-O-War drills are to make people adjust to circumstances that may not be favorable that they might encounter in the future, I will agree with you, but cooking with dirty water, is downright wicked and evil.. I am surprised that nobody has died of food poisoning yet..

I repeat that the catering should be given to big National catering companies to handle.. Atleast let the Government treat Graduates with some level of Dignity.. The NYSC uniforms are always so bad you have to either re-sew them or make your own from scratch... The kit is so substandard that my Jungle boots almost cut off my pinkie toe... The White shirts are so bad that I wonder what it would take the government to sign an agreement with BYC to be the official kitters of NYSC White on White uniforms?!

Apart from the morning drills and EEndurance trek, wetin again about survival training dem dey teach us? For bush no be bad beans we go chop.. Teach us to fish or something if na survival training we dey,,

Bros, NYSC is a failed programme just like the Education system.. All we do in camp is play, fhuck and do it all over again while sleeping on those useless matresses that are most likely riddled with bed bugs..

1 Like

Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by SpiritofOkija(m): 3:37pm On Jul 06, 2012
<<<<<<< SPIRIT OF OKIJA aka ALUSI OKIJA>>>>>>>>>
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by odedipapa(m): 3:39pm On Jul 06, 2012
blink182: Have you seen the beans he is talking about?
Have u seen it urself?
Are they supposed to order foods from KFC? If he doesn't like d foods,m sure there are several options in d mammy market.
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by denny4ril: 3:39pm On Jul 06, 2012
Billyonaire: I was made to understand during the orientation process that the food provided were intentional, to enable one cope with any adverse condition one might encounter in the field, the 18KM walk was part of that exercise, I can attest that it was of great help when I was posted to a remote village in Osun State, we often trekked and ate whatever was prepared in their local restaurants, with time one adjusted to the environment and had no reason to make the villagers think we are bigger or richer than them. Its a state of mind.
Guy u are very right but how many corpers see it that way? Life is noy bed of roses and the way to make best use of what comes at anytime is to adjust. Adjustment is for a while and no dey kill !!
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by odedipapa(m): 3:45pm On Jul 06, 2012
splendidb20: we were served smal beans and garri to drink at nysc camp okada yesterday............ I'm confused;eating tasteless foods everyday
1. Did they drag u to d dinning?
2. Were u instructed to drink d garri?
3. U r complaining abt d everyday meal bt au cum u only mentioned d garri?or has it been beans n garri all thru?
4. Do u guys av a mammy market there?
Think about d possibles answers n u will be better
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by SpiritofOkija(m): 3:48pm On Jul 06, 2012
...[size=18pt]WHAT WE ALL MAY WANNA FIND OUT IS THE BUDGET FOR FOOD PER CORPER or PER CAMP...[/size]...
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by Siga: 3:49pm On Jul 06, 2012
I beg stopping all these whinning and complains o jare....I ate it when I served 2002...why is it a problem for you now...eat with joy o jare...It wont kill u....it will only aid your digestion and poo
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by GODSLOVE2(f): 3:53pm On Jul 06, 2012
the meaning of NYSC IS NOW YOUR SUFFERING CONTINUES
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by pbs4real(m): 4:06pm On Jul 06, 2012
There's is this saying that if the preferable isn't available then let the available be preferable and lemme tell u its for u own good it will enable u withstand every form and direction life wild go so endure as long it wasn't poisoned.......capsih
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by Sammyn(f): 4:12pm On Jul 06, 2012
wow!! I lov naija my country.
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by olubat: 4:20pm On Jul 06, 2012
This experience is part of the service year it is not national assembly
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by SpiritofOkija(m): 4:22pm On Jul 06, 2012
pbs4real: There's is this saying that if the preferable isn't available then let the available be preferable and lemme tell u its for u own good it will enable u withstand every form and direction life wild go so endure as long it wasn't poisoned.......capsih

That is absolute rubbish...

Nigerians dont need experience in the harsh realities of life.. We live it everyday.. Look at the bus that took me from Calabar to Camp.. Thats a harsh reality of life.. I sat with chickens and goats and fermented tomatoes for almost 5 hours!

Those Pllunkers take the money from the Federal Government, pocket it and get us some old women from their villages to cook us crap at a reduced price..

Go ask your parents whaT NYSC food use to be like in their days...
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by searay(m): 4:34pm On Jul 06, 2012
I will never forget that night when we were served beans and garri, and we couldn't sleep throughout that night. Imagine 54 people messing(call it farting) all night.

1 Like

Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by Depot(m): 4:35pm On Jul 06, 2012
I camped @ Obubra camp,later camped there again d nxt yr 4 Amnesty tins,i must confess dat they took care of us very well during Amnesty dan Nysc.I'll rate it 20%/80%
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by GboyegaD(m): 4:50pm On Jul 06, 2012
splendidb20: we were served smal beans and garri to drink at nysc camp okada yesterday. what actually is the aim of ths national service? I'm confused;eating tasteless foods everyday

Can you tell me what the problem is with Garri and Beans? I truly do not know the quality of the food but one thing I have learnt is that people often times complained of the food served at camps because of their high expectations. At my time of service, NYSC wasn't so prepared and you needed to see how terrible the quality of our kit was yet the food was not as bad as people portrayed it because I ate if most times and now that they have improved in terms of planning I want to believe the quality of the meals too must have improved and if it hasn't thank God you still have food to eat. Remember, your mission is to render your own service to the nation.
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by Siga: 4:52pm On Jul 06, 2012
GboyegaD:

Can you tell me what the problem is with Garri and Beans? I truly do not know the quality of the food but one thing I have learnt is that people often times complained of the food served at camps because of their high expectations. At my time of service, NYSC wasn't so prepared and you needed to see how terrible the quality of our kit was yet the food was not as bad as people portrayed it because I ate if most times and now that they have improved in terms of planning I want to believe the quality of the meals too must have improved and if it hasn't thank God you still have food to eat. Remember, your mission is to render your own service to the nation.

Can we know your time of service plz...tx
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by SOLLYBOY1: 4:58pm On Jul 06, 2012
i was at the FARFARU CAMP some yrs back in SOKOTO.........Poor food, bad water, rubbish matRASH, plenty almanjiri to steal your items......
Now working, i got to know that it is costing the Federal Government N1.2m to keep a CORPS MEMBER for the one yr of service...(this was b4 JONAH push allawe go 19k).

Simple analysis shows that a corps member collect 9750 x 12 = 117,000

This leaves about N 1,083,000 for things like KIT and CAMPING

Pls can someone educate me more why the kits are dat poor (my white tennis did not last for a week), and the food on camp that bad ?

anyway, a little ALUTA on camp brought some change of mind from those hungry NYSC officials sha o

God will hv to help NIger.........

We don bad , no be today
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by Ramcie(f): 5:04pm On Jul 06, 2012
Muttex: I did my orientation camp in OKADA in 2009 Batch A. that is exactly the way were served. sometimes pap and beans wahala. the only food that is fair is rice. Anyway, i dont use to go to collect my food, i did go to the mummie market but when boi broke , i go queue for food oo..Lol.
u mean u ate at MUMMIE market or u meant to say MAMMY market . grin
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by bobothem(m): 5:09pm On Jul 06, 2012
If you can't eat what that was provided for you,patronise the mammy market.though in Paiko,Niger state 2007 batch A,we were not served beans and garri,i would have loved it because i still soak my garri even up now
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by SOLLYBOY1: 5:09pm On Jul 06, 2012
GboyegaD:

Oga Gov Advocate....do u actually know what the Gov is claiming to be spending on feeding in camp for Corps member ?
My concern is not just abt the food bros......but what the Government is claiming to be spending on the food ?
If what is being served is what the Government provide, nothing do us now............but the corruption that goes on around feeding these guys.
Hv read a lot of these comment and i felt so sorry for our mentality.
Must we always accept any rubbish that comes our way
cant we hv some self respect
am sure if we are to camp some undergraduates from UK in NIGERIA for a particular camping activity, we will be falling on our selfs to serve the BEST
When our we going to get to the point of respecting our serves
Kai na wa for us o
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 06, 2012
searay: I will never forget that night when we were served beans and garri, and we couldn't sleep throughout that night. Imagine 54 people messing(call it farting) all night.

ROTFL!
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by wadoski: 5:19pm On Jul 06, 2012
Who knows the state of things at Black Gold orientation camp in Kaduna? Was there in 2000, such a nice place, had fun and wished the camping was extended for another one week. BTW Dino Melaya was my mate then and the guy was really really naughty. He told us JJCs that if you went to buy something from a market woman, you only need to tell her ‘ina sonki‘. God that almost landed us into trouble one day as we went to the market from the camp. Can‘t forget the fun.
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by emmaBS(m): 5:46pm On Jul 06, 2012
Nigerian mentality tire me sef. They believe beans is poor man's food. Beans is now even more expensive than rice so it might cost the NYSC more to serve u beans than rice.
BTW the poster did not tell us why beans and garri should not be served on camp.
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by Jarus(m): 5:52pm On Jul 06, 2012
Nothing wrong with it as far I'm concerned. I don't believe it's a sign of poverty. It's a Naija delicacy. By God's grace, I'm not uncomfortable now and I take beans and garri.
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by Jarus(m): 5:53pm On Jul 06, 2012
SOLLY_BOY: i was at the FARFARU CAMP some yrs back in SOKOTO.........Poor food, bad water, rubbish matRASH, plenty almanjiri to steal your items......
Now working, i got to know that it is costing the Federal Government N1.2m to keep a CORPS MEMBER for the one yr of service...(this was b4 JONAH push allawe go 19k).

Pls can someone educate me more why the kits are dat poor (my white tennis did not last for a week), and the food on camp that bad ?

anyway, a little ALUTA on camp brought some change of mind from those hungry NYSC officials sha o

We don bad , no be today

Bros, which year were in farfaru? You may have been my room mate.
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by SpiritofOkija(m): 5:59pm On Jul 06, 2012
SOLLY_BOY: i was at the FARFARU CAMP some yrs back in SOKOTO.........Poor food, bad water, rubbish matRASH, plenty almanjiri to steal your items......

We don bad , no be today

Shey wen I ask the question of how much it costs the government to keep a corp member in Camp for a year, everybody lock up..

When I served, I was court marshalled because I talk say make Platoon Leaders wey DG of NYSC give money for welcoming him to camp no remit the money to NYSC officials..

Till now, the matter still makes me laugh!!

Guess how much?! 20'k (total was 60'k)... When I put hand for pocket bring out 100,k cash for inside court, everybody cool down.. What saved me was that move because I had to prove to those hungry NYSC staff that I came into camp with more than their Monthly salaries .. Idiotta
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by 2mch(m): 6:19pm On Jul 06, 2012
Is it not food? . IF you dont like it, buy ya own. If you no get money, chop am or protest to the FG who is selling you short. Na to come make noise for NL. undecided
Re: Serving Youth Corpers Beans With Garri, Good Or Bad? by StateOfMind: 6:27pm On Jul 06, 2012
Billyonaire: Beans and Garri is a great declicacy, I dont know why it sounds funny, but believe me, it has all classes of nutrients apart from vitamins...may be...

What exactly are you defending? Its not just about the garri and beans, its about the quality of the beans cooked and the condition they were cooked. I'm serving presently and what they serve in camps are poisons.

No one is expecting luxury in camp but good food would'nt hurt. You want them to serve the nation, give them 'good' , 'nutritious' 'well cooked' food..not toxins! Even the sight of those meals makes me wanna puke.

What if there were no mammies in camps, is that what corpers are meant to be served with.

Not all corpers come from a poor back ground, so telling them to appreciate that poison is nonsense.. And even if one from comes a poor background, he\she deserves to be served with that badly cooked food?

There is a difference between an intentionally poorly-cooked food and one that was cooked due to low budget. A good food can still be prepared with low budget.

How come none of those ogas eat the food if its that nutritious. Selfish lots!

I can't be bothered anyway, cos I do mammy things too, so my meal ticket remains under my travelling bag.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 10 Worst NYSC Orientation Camp In Nigeria 2023/2024 / NYSC Batch A Stream 2 Orientation (camping) Date 2017-2018 / 20 Winners Emerge In OCI Foundation Health Campaign Giveaway For NYSC Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.