Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,546 members, 7,955,024 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:46 PM

Please I Need Experienced Career Advice - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please I Need Experienced Career Advice (1492 Views)

Microbiologists; Career Advice / Career Advice For Women / Career Advice For Failed Politicians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Experienced Career Advice by lumideezle(m): 12:26pm On Jul 06, 2012
Ok i am currently in a fix as to where to go career wise, and i would really appreciate professional advice, i hope and pray i am in the right place. Here is a brief description of my academic accomplishment and where i intend going from here

I have a BSc in Microbiology 2:2(as at my third year i discovered i wasnt really cut out to be a science student or a microbiologist because i found myself always struggling I preferred management more so i decided to start taking more of management professional courses
I took

IT Project management by Comptia and i passed with flying colors
I also took NIM ( Nigerian institute of Management) during my service year which i also passed
I went on to do an Executive masters in Project management in UK Passed too
I have also attended Seminars and Courses on Entrepreneurship and Management at the Lagos Business School

Reason for all this story is this:

I currently work as a business Development officer in a company( I like the Job but i am more Inclined to management than marketing)

I want to do An MBA in Unilag starting in sept( Is this a right step?
I am also considering going into personnel Management By doing CIPM (Wont this just communicate to my future employer that i am confused?)
I am also thinking of furthering my Project management programs by doing PMP Project management Professional(Do I really need to do this exam?)
On the other hand i am considering Doing IT courses like MCITP, etc

OK I know i might cut across as confused but before you crucify me, the reason y i am doing all i can to improve myself is to get a better job, work for some years (Max 10 yrs) and start my own company. I love management and i would want to own my own stuff

Ok so that s me in a few words

Kindly advise
Re: Please I Need Experienced Career Advice by lumideezle(m): 12:49pm On Jul 06, 2012
Somebody should please say something

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Experienced Career Advice by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 06, 2012
Do an MBA. you're far more marketable with that.
Re: Please I Need Experienced Career Advice by Krucifax(m): 6:20am On Jul 07, 2012
lumideezle: Ok i am currently in a fix as to where to go career wise, and i would really appreciate professional advice, i hope and pray i am in the right place. Here is a brief description of my academic accomplishment and where i intend going from here

I have a BSc in Microbiology 2:2(as at my third year i discovered i wasnt really cut out to be a science student or a microbiologist because i found myself always struggling I preferred management more so i decided to start taking more of management professional courses
I took

IT Project management by Comptia and i passed with flying colors
I also took NIM ( Nigerian institute of Management) during my service year which i also passed
I went on to do an Executive masters in Project management in UK Passed too
I have also attended Seminars and Courses on Entrepreneurship and Management at the Lagos Business School

Reason for all this story is this:

I currently work as a business Development officer in a company( I like the Job but i am more Inclined to management than marketing)

I want to do An MBA in Unilag starting in sept( Is this a right step?
I am also considering going into personnel Management By doing CIPM (Wont this just communicate to my future employer that i am confused?)
I am also thinking of furthering my Project management programs by doing PMP Project management Professional(Do I really need to do this exam?)
On the other hand i am considering Doing IT courses like MCITP, etc

OK I know i might cut across as confused but before you crucify me, the reason y i am doing all i can to improve myself is to get a better job, work for some years (Max 10 yrs) and start my own company. I love management and i would want to own my own stuff

Ok so that s me in a few words

Kindly advise

Having spent years studying Microbiology and then going into another field should have shown you the costs of indecision. But fear not as it's a plight suffered by people constantly considering ways to improve themselves.

According to your post you have as qualifications the following:
1. IT Project Management
2.NIM
3. Masters in Project Management
You then thinking of of the following:
1.MBA
2.CIPM
3.PMP
4.MCITP.

Without sounding pedantic let me point something out to you. You said and i quote "at my third year i discovered i wasn't really cut out to be a science student".If this is the case careers like (1.IT Project Management,2.MCITP) may not be a good idea as you've admitted not having a knack for sciences.You clearly want to be in management/project management and on that basis I'd opine that you are fairly well qualified as it stands. What you should do is stop for a moment and take a step back to consider what you'd enjoying doing long term. This will save you money,time and energy you'd have wasted doing another course.

In summary work your way backwards,look at careers and how they function in their fields and then look at your interests and more importantly what you actually have a natural aptitude for. That way you can say things like (I'd like to do this but i can't or i can do this but wont. Till you say i can do this and would like/love to). Good luck. wink
Re: Please I Need Experienced Career Advice by lumideezle(m): 8:36am On Jul 07, 2012
Krucifax:

Having spent years studying Microbiology and then going into another field should have shown you the costs of indecision. But fear not as it's a plight suffered by people constantly considering ways to improve themselves.

According to your post you have as qualifications the following:
1. IT Project Management
2.NIM
3. Masters in Project Management
You then thinking of of the following:
1.MBA
2.CIPM
3.PMP
4.MCITP.

Without sounding pedantic let me point something out to you. You said and i quote "at my third year i discovered i wasn't really cut out to be a science student".If this is the case careers like (1.IT Project Management,2.MCITP) may not be a good idea as you've admitted not having a knack for sciences.You clearly want to be in management/project management and on that basis I'd opine that you are fairly well qualified as it stands. What you should do is stop for a moment and take a step back to consider what you'd enjoying doing long term. This will save you money,time and energy you'd have wasted doing another course.

In summary work your way backwards,look at careers and how they function in their fields and then look at your interests and more importantly what you actually have a natural aptitude for. That way you can say things like (I'd like to do this but i can't or i can do this but wont. Till you say i can do this and would like/love to). Good luck. wink

Thanks for your suggestion expecially telling me MCITP was nt right I did not aDd that I served in an IT firm and this opened me 2 d possibility that I was good in IT as I rose to systems Administrator in 6mths even as a corps member. The reason I am asking here is that I have been 2 some interviews where they ask me y are u changing career paths and my proffessional qualifications just seem waTtery because they are not directed towards one particular career path.

Honestly I just need sombody that has been in my shoes 2 tell me do this!!! bla bla bla and give me a good reason for their suggestion and say avoid this!! And also give me a good reason! Thanks a lot still expecting comments

Moderator front page pls I need Answers tnx
Re: Please I Need Experienced Career Advice by violent(m): 2:25pm On Jul 07, 2012
Sorry to say this, but it does appear from your post that you are a little confused.

I have often stressed to people that taking courses and certifications will never beat the cruel scars good ol' experience brings.

1) Your BSc in Microbiology

Forget about the Microbiology bit, I'm more concerned that graduating with a 2:2 will send signals that you can't stay focused on your objectives and work hard enough for them.

Don't try to be too defensive when explaining this to someone or a future employer ---"I only knew what the heck i was doing after 3 years at uni" ---...not a good story, not for someone who hopes to be in Management!

Accept responsibility!..I'd rather say i had too many things to manage including family businesses and as such my commitment to my course suffered. But in the meanwhile, i have since learnt about my passion for management and I intend to stick to it till the sea runs dry!

2) NIM

Please just hide this piece of trash!..don't ever include it in your resume as it adds no value whatsoever!...Everyone and their mums and their cats probably have the NIM certificate. It's just a scheme to milk corpers out of their registration fees and all that ish. If someone comes to my office with the NIM on his Resume, my immediate thoughts would be that maybe the individual is not capable of tougher ambitions or able to challenge his limits.

3) Masters in Project Management:

Sounds good to me and it shows you are more focused and heading in the right direction.

I want to do An MBA in Unilag starting in sept

MBA is a tested and proven route for anyone aspiring to be in management. I'd stick to it!

"I am also considering going into personnel Management By doing CIPM"

More qualifications eh? How does this improve what you already have? It is my opinion that this wouldn't necessarily add any more value to what you can do which in my opinion should be the focus. I'm more likely to listen to someone who says "I managed 10 interns and two young analyst and channeled their resources to achieving the company's goals in the last two years"....the dude with the certification, to me, has only been able to spend many hours studying what other people have experienced.

"On the other hand i am considering Doing IT courses like MCITP, etc"

Okay, here's a recap: You are a Microbiologist who wants to learn personnel management, have an MBA, study for the PMP and also be an IT guru at the same time....here's my suggestion: why not add: a degree in law, the NCSP designation and a little touch of Medicine and pharmacy?

You can't be everything dude!...you want to be in management, then focus on management!!!

current experience as a Business Development Executive:

You may not know it, but i believe this is a good opportunity to build your management skills. Step outside of your marketing limits and initiate a project at your place of work. Manage the project from start to finish leveraging your degree and gazillions of certificates. This project could be anything from cost reduction to maximizing profits or opportunities for growth. Make sure your Boss's boss understand what you are up to so you can take all the credit when it's time for it.

Once the project is done, look for another project. You will begin to realize that all the things you look for in books and what not are actually available to you hands on, this will also give you better stories to tell at interviews on your managerial skills. Just imagine telling them how you helped your company reduce 20% of their operating cost!!

goodluck!

3 Likes

Re: Please I Need Experienced Career Advice by lumideezle(m): 10:03pm On Jul 07, 2012
violent: Sorry to say this, but it does appear from your post that you are a little confused.

I have often stressed to people that taking courses and certifications will never beat the cruel scars good ol' experience brings.

Forget about the Microbiology bit, I'm more concerned that graduating with a 2:2 will send signals that you can't stay focused on your objectives and work hard enough for them.

Don't try to be too defensive when explaining this to someone or a future employer ---"I only knew what the heck i was doing after 3 years at uni" ---...not a good story, not for someone who hopes to be in Management!

Accept responsibility!..I'd rather say i had too many things to manage including family businesses and as such my commitment to my course suffered. But in the meanwhile, i have since learnt about my passion for management and I intend to stick to it till the sea runs dry!

2) NIM

Please just hide this piece of trash!..don't ever include it in your resume as it adds no value whatsoever!...Everyone and their mums and their cats probably have the NIM certificate. It's just a scheme to milk corpers out of their registration fees and all that ish. If someone comes to my office with the NIM on his Resume, my immediate thoughts would be that maybe the individual is not capable of tougher ambitions or able to challenge his limits.

Sounds good to me and it shows you are more focused and heading in the right direction.

MBA is a tested and proven route for anyone aspiring to be in management. I'd stick to it!

More qualifications eh? How does this improve what you already have? It is my opinion that this wouldn't necessarily add any more value to what you can do which in my opinion should be the focus. I'm more likely to listen to someone who says "I managed 10 interns and two young analyst and channeled their resources to achieving the company's goals in the last two years"....the dude with the certification, to me, has only been able to spend many hours studying what other people have experienced.

Okay, here's a recap: You are a Microbiologist who wants to learn personnel management, have an MBA, study for the PMP and also be an IT guru at the same time....here's my suggestion: why not add: a degree in law, the NCSP designation and a little touch of Medicine and pharmacy?

You can't be everything dude!...you want to be in management, then focus on management!!!

You may not know it, but i believe this is a good opportunity to build your management skills. Step outside of your marketing limits and initiate a project at your place of work. Manage the project from start to finish leveraging your degree and gazillions of certificates. This project could be anything from cost reduction to maximizing profits or opportunities for growth. Make sure your Boss's boss understand what you are up to so you can take all the credit when it's time for it.

Once the project is done, look for another project. You will begin to realize that all the things you look for in books and what not are actually available to you hands on, this will also give you better stories to tell at interviews on your managerial skills. Just imagine telling them how you helped your company reduce 20% of their operating cost!!

goodluck!

Thanks a lot this is exactly what I needed( an external opinion) I really appreciate just booked marked this page lol.
Re: Please I Need Experienced Career Advice by spicyv1(f): 5:56pm On Jul 12, 2012
violent: Sorry to say this, but it does appear from your post that you are a little confused.

2) NIM

goodluck!

I would love to meet you! Its all I can say.

@ op: this is all you need, some violent steps!!!
Cheers.

(1) (Reply)

Making The Best Career Move in the US / 2014 Vacancies: Total Exploration & Production Nigeria Ltd / Doheney Graduate Finishing School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.