Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,594 members, 7,809,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change (4823 Views)

Nigeria, China Currency Swap Forces USD Rate Down: Bureau De Change Association / CBN To Replace Local Bureau-De-Changes With Travelex / CBN Stops Sales Of Forex To Bureax-De-Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by mukina2: 2:31pm On Jul 06, 2012
The Central Bank of Nigeria has further reduced the amount of dollars it sells to bureau de change operators in the country by $25,000 per week. It had slashed it from $100,000 to $75,000 on March 18 this year.

A CBN memo to all authorized dealers and bureau de change operators dated July 4, 2012 said the amount of weekly foreign exchange sales to BDCs has been reviewed.

Consequently, “the maximum amount of foreign exchange cash sales to each BDC per week shall be $50,000 with effect from Monday July 9, 2012,” a statement signed by the CBN Director, Trade and Exchange department, Batari Musa, said.

The circular supersedes the one dated March 15, 2012 on the subject, he said.

Last year, the bank had increased to $1 million from $500,000 per bank the amount of autonomous foreign exchange banks could sell to BDCs per week, from $250,000.

The Central Bank of Nigeria sold $251 million at a foreign currency auction yesterday, bringing its total sales this week to $601 million compared with $700 million the previous week. Oil-producing companies that sell dollars around the month-end to meet local expenses are the second major supplier after the bank.

Source
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by StarrMatthieu: 4:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
bump
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
Thanks mukina..never knew how the dollar market evolves!
that y I love NL grin grin grin
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
this is a good move.....at lest it will reduce the demand for dollar which usually devalue our naira.....dis bokoharam jihadist got it right dis time
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 06, 2012
No wonder my friend that owns BDC is really getting broke, And I was interested in this business, now its buried. Sanusi is actually putting his Aboki brothers out of business too. Or is there a black market route to source for dos ?
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by Seun(m): 4:27pm On Jul 06, 2012
When the supply of the dollar reduces, what happens to the price? It goes up. So the dollar appreciates, and the naira must fall.
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 06, 2012
Seun: When the supply of the dollar reduces, what happens to the price? It goes up. So the dollar appreciates, and the naira must fall.
Its understandable, but its done to tackle money laundering, those Facrooks at ABJ buy a lot of dollars to send abroad, so we got to stop them. The gain surpasses the disadvantages.
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by kiyosaki1(m): 4:53pm On Jul 06, 2012
The BDC operators are killing our economy. Was ounce interested in the business, and was alarmed at the amount of fraud going on in this sector.The BDC operator must bring documents backing his demand to the CBN I.e for you to buy dollars from them its either you have a company that needs to imports goods and services,or raw materials for its production or you are a student or traveling out of the country and needs BTA. So what do these BDC guys do they simply

2 Likes

Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by inspiredm(m): 4:53pm On Jul 06, 2012
This is CRAP Decision.

The More Scarce the Dollar is, the Higher the Value Will go and The Lower the Naira Will FALL.

How do these People think ?

1 Like

Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by Maleeq(m): 5:09pm On Jul 06, 2012
kiyosaki1: The BDC operators are killing our economy. Was ounce interested in the business, and was alarmed at the amount of fraud going on in this sector.[b]The BDC operator must bring documents backing his demand to the CBN I.e for you to buy dollars from them its either you have a company that needs to imports goods and services,or raw materials for its production or you are a student or traveling out of the country and needs BTA. [/b]So what do these BDC guys do they simply
Thats not entirely true. They are registered as BDC. This alleviates them of the need to produce all such requirements. Like other financial institutions, they have a minimum security deposit when the apex bank. This is surety enough for the apex bank. They are still bound by limits/rules, such as this weekly transaction figure.

@Topic
I don't know much about economics, but i surely know the naira is on a down fall against the dollar. No wonder the aboki was asking for ₦168/$ just the other day!
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by kiyosaki1(m): 5:27pm On Jul 06, 2012
Maleeq:
Thats not entirely true. They are registered as BDC. This alleviates them of the need to produce all such requirements. Like other financial institutions, they have a minimum security deposit when the apex bank. This is surety enough for the apex bank. They are still bound by limits/rules, such as this weekly transaction figure.

@Topic
I don't know much about economics, but i surely know the naira is on a down fall against the dollar. No wonder the aboki was asking for ₦168/$ just the other day!
Like you rightly said that you don't know much about economics you are pardon.A nation's foreign reserved usages must be that which brings development to that country.The foreign reserved must be used mainly to serve the productive sector of the economy, but what do you find in Nigeria.These foreign reserved find his way into hands of some unscrupulous elements who smuggled it out of the country to another country with the attendants implication , mainly they are foreigners and politicians and through the active support of our BDC who are able to achieve these through
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by kiyosaki1(m): 5:27pm On Jul 06, 2012
Maleeq:

@Topic
Like you rightly said that you don't know much about economics you are pardon.A nation's foreign reserved usages must be that which brings development to that country.The foreign reserved must be used mainly to serve the productive sector of the economy, but what do you find in Nigeria.These foreign reserved find his way into hands of some unscrupulous elements who smuggled it out of the country to another country with the attendants implication , mainly they are foreigners and politicians and through the active support of our BDC who are able to achieve these through
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by faithin9ja: 5:42pm On Jul 06, 2012
kiyosaki1: The BDC operators are killing our economy. Was ounce interested in the business, and was alarmed at the amount of fraud going on in this sector.The BDC operator must bring documents backing his demand to the CBN I.e for you to buy dollars from them its either you have a company that needs to imports goods and services,or raw materials for its production or you are a student or traveling out of the country and needs BTA. So what do these BDC guys do they simply

this a free society, government has no right to tell me what to do with my money or my dollars, I exchange my naira for dollars, if I like I 'smoke' the dollars.

BDC job is to provide FX to those that want it, it not the BDC job to ask you what you want to do with you dollars you have bought from them. You cannot blame the BDC.

If the government decides to go back to the totalitarian centralist control that has failed in the past, then the government to should place restrictions on what you can use for dollars for; we have our own schools so no need for school fees abroad, we have Aba factories so no need to import shoes, we have cassava bread, so no need to import wheat, and so and so forth. But these policies have never worked in the past. But it's not the BDC's fault.
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by manny4life(m): 6:08pm On Jul 06, 2012
Here goes SLS with his Voodoo Economics, rather than him attacking the problems, he's busy fighting the symptoms... Anyway, I'm not surprised. Reduce supply, will cause increased demand, which translates into increased price which results to increased everything. Watch and see the magic to the Naira, I laugh in Swahili... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 06, 2012
faithin9ja:

this a free society, government has no right to tell me what to do with my money or my dollars, I exchange my naira for dollars, if I like I 'smoke' the dollars.

BDC job is to provide FX to those that want it, it not the BDC job to ask you what you want to do with you dollars you have bought from them. You cannot blame the BDC.

If the government decides to go back to the totalitarian centralist control that has failed in the past, then the government to should place restrictions on what you can use for dollars for; we have our own schools so no need for school fees abroad, we have Aba factories so no need to import shoes, we have cassava bread, so no need to import wheat, and so and so forth. But these policies have never worked in the past. But it's not the BDC's fault.

We have several BDCs in Nigeria and even $50k per week to each BDC is enough for our daily legitimate fx needs, You need to know that excess dollars in the system kills our local economy and money laundering thrives much more with the dollars flooding the system from the CBN, its an excellent policy, if anyone needs 1m$ cash, he should go to CBN and make such application with legit docs, I doubt if any legit business require such cash payments except launders.
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by sunkoye: 6:34pm On Jul 06, 2012
another foolish decision. guys make una quick dey buy dollars jare...make we make small change...
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by Effwazobia: 6:36pm On Jul 06, 2012
Billyonaire: Its understandable, but its done to tackle money laundering, those Facrooks at ABJ buy a lot of dollars to send abroad, so we got to stop them. The gain surpasses the disadvantages.

My brother, I beg to differ. It does not tackle jack, because when the dollar price rises as a result of scarcity, the politicians are going to be the only ones able to purchase it with their easy monies, where as the average importer or traveller gets screwed. Do you really think our politicians could care less if the dollar rises to 200 naira? Absolutely not, because they didn't even work hard for the naira to begin with. So it is not going to deter any laundering my mehn, but rather make thing extremely difficult for the average importer.

You would have made much sense if you had said something along the lines of, the advantage being that it would deter importation of all the junk we bring into the country via importation, and facilitate exportation of our goods
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 06, 2012
This news came out yesterday bt am surprised dt rate fell today.
Cbn must have other strategies to cushion d perceived effect.
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by Pukkah: 9:09pm On Jul 06, 2012
faithin9ja:

There is no 'free market' anywhere. Government has to exercise some form of control on the direction of the economy. If markets would be perfectly free then what is the essence of government?
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by searchcorp(m): 9:44pm On Jul 06, 2012
You or the politicians. Who do u think the BDC guys will rather attend to. THE POLITICIANS - because they are more frequent and buy more dollars. So don't be surprised if the next time u try changing dollars, the aboki tells u that he is short of dollars because farook just left his office some minutes ago.

Trust me they will hoard the dollars to sell to their regular political friends who buys them cows every salah.
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by faithin9ja: 11:56am On Jul 07, 2012
Pukkah:

There is no 'free market' anywhere. Government has to exercise some form of control on the direction of the economy. If markets would be perfectly free then what is the essence of government?

Young man try to think outside the confines of this 'closed Nigerian society'. Because we rely almost totally on oil for our FX, hence the government via Central Bank can control FX.

If you, Mr Pukkah are based in Lagos or PH and I, Mr Faithin9ja based in Houston Texas, decide to use your IT skills to build a website for me, you do the job online, I pay you $5000 for the job, would you really want the Nigerian government to restrict your access to the $5000? wouldn't you like to go to a bank or BDC and exchange those dollars for the best rate available?

In more economically developed societies the government does not control how much money flows in and out of the country
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by naira4ever(m): 2:57pm On Jul 07, 2012
[quote author=faithin9ja]

Young man try to think outside the confines of this 'closed Nigerian society'. Because we rely almost totally on oil for our FX, hence the government via Central Bank can control FX.

If you, Mr Pukkah are based in Lagos or PH and I, Mr Faithin9ja based in Houston Texas, decide to use your IT skills to build a website for me, you do the job online, I pay you $5000 for the job, would you really want the Nigerian government to restrict your access to the $5000? wouldn't you lik

The government does control the volume of money incirculation even in the developed country that is one of the reason why you have "Money Laundering Act" even in the UK. The government controls money circulation through the Central Bank (Apex #ank) of each country like we have CBN here. The CBN checks money in the circulation through its Fiscal and Monetary policies, a very clear example is the present "Cashless Policy" that is going on now. You can go back to even your secondary school economics notebook, at leastand refresh your memory, if you ever had one.
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by Pukkah: 8:58pm On Jul 07, 2012
faithin9ja:

If you, Mr Pukkah are based in Lagos or PH and I, Mr Faithin9ja based in Houston Texas, decide to use your IT skills to build a website for me, you do the job online, I pay you $5000 for the job, would you really want the Nigerian government to restrict your access to the $5000? wouldn't you like to go to a bank or BDC and exchange those dollars for the best rate available?

In more economically developed societies the government does not control how much money flows in and out of the country

Read the article again to see that what the CBN is restricting is the dollars it SELLS to the BDCs and not what the BDCs buys from other sources; in which case the Houston/Lagos example you gave is irrelevant. There are other sources of FX into the country apart from 'CBN money'.

Again, I insist that there is no country in the world where the government does not influence the economy through monetary and fiscal policies. If you know any please let me know. It may also profit you to know that the CBN can only influence the exchange rate and the flow of currencies through monetary policies. So you can imagine how limited the available options to CBN are.

By the way, how did you come to the conclusion that I am a 'young man'?
Re: CBN Orders Reduction Of Forex Sale To Bureau De Change by ovaga2: 10:08am On Aug 01, 2014
!!!NIGERIA CUSTOMS SERVICE 2014 AUCTION!!!IF
YOU NEED A CAR,HERE IS AN OPPORTUNITY.
CONTACT NUMBER: (08135617622) NAME:COMPT .
IBRAHIM .G.AKIN DEPARTMENT:
ENFORCEMENT,INVESTIGATION AND INSPECTION
NEW / TOKUNBO / BELGIUM /JAPAN SIEZED
IMPORTED VEHICLES FOR AUCTION AT SEME
BORDER LAGOS NIGERIA. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN
OWNING A VERY SOUND VEHICLE AT CHEAPER RATE.
RANGING FROM N150,000 UPWARDS,THIS IS AN
OPPORTUNITY FOR INDIVIDUALS TO PARTICIPATE.
THIS VEHICLES ARE IN THE CUSTOM WAREHOUSES
IN SEME BORDER IN NIGERIA AWAITING REMOVAL BY
CLEARANCE. FIRST TIME PARTICIPANTS ARE TO DO E-
REGISTRATION BEFORE COMING DOWN TO THE
AREA COMMAND FOR INSPECTION OR CLEARANCE
REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS FOR INDIVIDUALS:-
(a) National id card, international passport or driver
¡¯s license (b) Local Gov. of origin certificate (c)
Utility bill of at most 5months. (d) A passport
photograph for your warrant card Call the auction
officer for notification and process. FEATURED CARS
TOYOTA CARS �6¦1 Toyota Land Cruiser-N450,000
�6¦1 Toyota Prado N500,000 �6¦1 Toyota Corolla
¨CN250,000 �6¦1 Toyota Camry ¨CN300,000-
N570,000 �6¦1 Toyota Avensis ¨C N200,000-
N600,000 �6¦1 Toyota Yaris ¨C N150,000 �6¦1
Toyota Avanza ¨C N300,000 �6¦1 Toyota RAV4 SUV
¨CN350,000 �6¦1 Toyota Hilus Pickup-N500,000
�6¦1 Toyota Dyna Truck ¨C N480,000 �6¦1 Toyota
Hiace Bus ¨C N450,000 �6¦1 Toyota Coaster Bus 32
seaters ¨C N890,000 MERCEDES BENZ CARS c230-
N300,000 C300- N200,000 HONDA CARS Honda Civic
cars ¨C N150,000 Honda Accord ¨C N280,000 Honda
CR-V ¨C N380,000 Honda Odyssey ¨C N350,000
Honda Element ¨C N380,000 Honda Pilot ¨C
N400,000 NISSAN CARS �6¦1 Nissan Sunny sedan
¨C N150,000 �6¦1 Nissan Patrol SUV ¨C N300,000
�6¦1 Nissan Civilian 30 seater bus ¨C N650,000
�6¦1 Nissan Pathfinder SUV ¨C N400,000 and lots
more. NAME:COMPT . IBRAHIM .G.AKIN
CONTACT NUMBER: 08135617622 DEPARTMENT:
ENFORCEMENT,INVESTIGATION AND INSPECTION

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Advice Needed On Starting A Restaurant/bar Business. / Business Plan & Proposal On Cashew Nuts Trading For Local Traders&exporters / Planks( Hardwood) For Your Building

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.