Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,377 members, 7,819,372 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? (4682 Views)

Parents Or Intending Parents, You Must Read This / Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? / Is Marriage An Achievement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by chikk(f): 7:36pm On Jul 06, 2012
Esteemed Nairalanders, please i really need your views on this. A man once told me that his accomplishment last year was that he added another graduate to the number in his family (like his child entered and graduated from university the same year). A few days ago, i overheard a retired civil servant tell his son that he (the father), single-handely trained him in school (i don't know who he expected to do it before) and that it wasn't easy (agreed). Therefore, the son shouldn't ask him what he achieved throughout his years as a civil servant. So i ask, please, is it an achievement if parents train their child/ren in school or is it their responsibility as the parents? Is it not the child's entitlement from the parents?
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by 190: 12:01am On Apr 21, 2013
grin grin
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by Nobody: 1:21am On Apr 21, 2013
The parents should see it as their responsibility while the child should see it as a privilege. In the end, it's the child that benefits more, so, he/she should be the grateful one.

Although, a reasonable parent should not keep making it look like they're forcing him to do it.

3 Likes

Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by chikk(f): 1:57am On Apr 21, 2013
190: grin grin

Your case dey court, I swear! What's funny?

1 Like

Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by thatchic: 3:54am On Apr 21, 2013
God save us from backward mentality. It is the parents DUTY and OBLIGATION. If you don’t want to pay tuition don’t have kids, simple.
It is not the child’s privilege, it’s their BASIC RIGHT.

7 Likes

Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by mutter(f): 6:00am On Apr 21, 2013
It is the parents responsibility and achievement but most of all it is the mercy and goodness of God.
It is the duty of the parent to provide the financial aspect as well as they can but what about the training and raising of the child. Teaching the child values and leading the child on the right part.
What about consoling the child when it has disappointments and giving the child the courage to move on?
What about wanting nothing more than to see the child grow up healthy and happy?
What about the endless prayers and sleepless nights the parents had?
There is so much involved in being a parent. So much joy but also so much pain.

Even with financial support and even when the child has brains sometimes other distractions can prevent the child from moving on to go and study or get a meaningful trade.

When at the end of the day you have performed your never ending responsibilities and all ends well it is indeed an achievement and a great blessing from God,!

4 Likes

Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by Nobody: 8:36am On Apr 21, 2013
Its the RIGHT of the child,not a privilege,if you don't take care of them,who will?

For the parent,its a responsibility,as well as an achievement,cos its one of the parameters use to determine the success of a family. The parent see it as a source of joy in life.
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 21, 2013
@OP, I think your challenge is that you have no children and are probably still a dependant even.
As @Mutter has said, it's both a responsibility and an achievement. It's a responsibility in that, the parents owe it to the child to provide them with the tools of self awareness, self discovery and self-sustenance when they are old enough(nobody wants to babysit a 30 year old).
It's also an achievement to the degree that educating an individual is a complicated task, either by providing the education itself or by providing the means for said education to happen. And then considering that students, even high school students, drop out all the time, I would be proud of an educated child. I might not have an orgãsm, but I'd be proud.
Now, I don't know the background or situation of these men. Are they graduates, do they hail from a family of graduates? If they indeed are graduates, within what circumstances were they educated? What sacrifices did they make in order to afford education for their children, etc etc.
If they feel ecstatic about performing a good, noble, worthy and necessary deed, who are you to begrudge them their happines
s.
Oversabi will not kill this generation.

1 Like

Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by chikk(f): 10:31am On Apr 21, 2013
fresh_dude: @OP, I think your challenge is that you have no children and are probably still a dependant even.
As @Mutter has said, it's both a responsibility and an achievement. It's a responsibility in that, the parents owe it to the child to provide them with the tools of self awareness, self discovery and self-sustenance when they are old enough(nobody wants to babysit a 30 year old).
It's also an achievement to the degree that educating an individual is a complicated task, either by providing the education itself or by providing the means for said education to happen. And then considering that students, even high school students, drop out all the time, I would be proud of an educated child. I might not have an orgãsm, but I'd be proud.
Now, I don't know the background these men come from, but if they feel ecstatic about performing a good, noble, worthy deed, who are you to begrudge them.

Oversabi will not kill this generation

Oga, if you had read my post well, you'd understand that it has nothing to do with me personally. What you should do is simply state your opinion with reasons and leave it at that! What brought about over sabi, being childless and dependent? And to think that you see a challenge in this post?? Na wa o! I thought people in this section are more reasonable and advanced, thus I respect them, but I just can't believe you said those!

The post has nothing to do with me. Its just happenings around people I know and I brought it here to get people's view on it. So why attack me? Do I know you from anywhere? Or you just feel like insulting someone?

2 Likes

Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 21, 2013
chikk:

Oga, if you had read my post well, you'd understand that it has nothing to do with me personally. What you should do is simply state your opinion with reasons and leave it at that! What brought about over sabi, being childless and dependent? And to think that you see a challenge in this post?? Na wa o! I thought people in this section are more reasonable and advanced, thus I respect them, but I just can't believe you said those!

The post has nothing to do with me. Its just happenings around people I know and I brought it here to get people's view on it. So why attack me? Do I know you from anywhere? Or you just feel like insulting someone?
Madam, I think you're possessing of expression and/or comprehension challenges, I mean problems, as well.
To begin with, your opening post reeks of sanctimony, and on such a matter as this it only tells of the limit(ations) of your level of exposure.
I guess you're feeling disappointed that I'm not joining your holier-than-thou brigade.
You seem to know better than a man who's got children your age on the emotions child rearing elicit and you don't think that's oversabi? Yet you want to mingle with reasonable and advanced people? Abeg park well. No time for rubbish.
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by chikk(f): 1:53pm On Apr 21, 2013
fresh_dude: Madam, I think you're possessing of expression and/or comprehension challenges, I mean problems, as well.
To begin with, your opening post reeks of sanctimony, and on such a matter as this it only tells of the limit(ations) of your level of exposure.
I guess you're feeling disappointed that I'm not joining your holier-than-thou brigade.
You seem to know better than a man who's got children your age on the emotions child rearing elicit and you don't think that's oversabi? Yet you want to mingle with reasonable and advanced people? Abeg park well. No time for rubbish.

Hmmmm. I don't get u at all. I aked a simple question: is child education an achievement or a responsibility to parents? Jeez can't you answer straight? What has that got to do with emotions of child rearing? Simply say its a responsibility, an achievement or both! That's all.

Abeg o, don't even for a second think that you're one of them when I say 'advanced people' because if you were, you will respect yourself. If you've got noting reasonable to say, please, I beg of you, quietly un-follow this thread
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Apr 21, 2013
I've said my piece. I'll be right outside. Cheers.
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by deasy(m): 2:33am On May 04, 2013
"if you can't take good care of a child don't give birth yet"
sending your child to school is your responsibility,your duty and obligation...to the child its not a priviledge but the child's right,which you must give them!
I don't think sending to school till they become graduate is an achievement really,i will only call it an achievement if the child turns out to be on is own achieveing things in life.
Mind you school only gives information...but the real education should be given by the parent.
When education is given by the parent and the child makes use of those education in life on its own...then that's an achievement!
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by chikk(f): 2:24pm On May 04, 2013
Ehen, thanks deasy. You're so on point!
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by deasy(m): 4:47pm On May 04, 2013
chikk: Ehen, thanks deasy. You're so on point!
No @chikk, thanks for bringing this up.smiley

1 Like

Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by Nobody: 9:41pm On May 04, 2013
Its d parent's responsibility. But at times when one can't meet up with responsibility,it becomes a privilege.thanks
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by coogar: 9:58pm On May 04, 2013
chikk:
Hmmmm. I don't get u at all. I aked a simple question: is child education an achievement or a responsibility to parents? Jeez can't you answer straight? What has that got to do with emotions of child rearing? Simply say its a responsibility, an achievement or both! That's all.

it's a bit of both!
the parents must provide the education and the child must also be attentive enough to take advantage of the education the parents have provided.
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by Nobody: 12:48am On May 05, 2013
Like easterners will say to Father of a well educated Lady/gentleman; 'You do well my brother' grin

Parents also take a deep sigh ( after their kid graduate) and say to themselves ; We did it! grin

OP it's an achievement first lets face it......many Nigerians in the west go to higher institution on student loans , many international students drop out after year one cos their parents back home can't afford to go on anymore.

Therefore If a parent successfully sponsor a kid thru university level then it's the greatest achievement among his ( parent) peers.

Raising a kid till high school level (grd 12) is enough obligation.
So kids should be appreciative and stop running their mouth cos its not compulsory for those parents to sponsor them thru college/university. angry

A broke parent is not obliged to send his kids via Uni, they can only try. ( abi he should carry gun??)
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by i1: 2:26am On May 05, 2013
When Govt builds road, rehabilitate Schools or provide Water, is it an acheivement or their responsibility? It all depends on who is looking! To me, its the parents responsibility, but we all know how the economy is... So if they can seccuessfully train a kid then they can count it as an acheivement! Ps: it doesn't mean the Kid should turn to the Parents Retirement Plan.
Ps: In this day and age where Bsc no dey get Job, a parents responsibility stops at graduation from University, Masters Na Jara.

1 Like

Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by chikk(f): 2:05pm On May 05, 2013
i.:
When Govt builds road, rehabilitate Schools or provide Water, is it an acheivement or their responsibility? It all depends on who is looking! To me, its the parents responsibility, but we all know how the economy is... So if they can seccuessfully train a kid then they can count it as an acheivement! Ps: it doesn't mean the Kid should turn to the Parents Retirement Plan.
Ps: In this day and age where Bsc no dey get Job, a parents responsibility stops at graduation from University, Masters Na Jara.

grin grin grin
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by deasy(m): 7:43pm On May 05, 2013
i.:
You mention ECONOMY, you also mention In this day and age where Bsc no dey get Job...this two point should be well noted by parents
.How Economy? i think parents should give birth and train a child base on how the economy is...
.No job? i think if real education is instilled into children,they won't depend on looking for jobs even if they have masters.They will be JOB CREATOR.Mind you school only school your child-giving only infos,real education will be from parents
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by Bonapart(m): 12:50pm On May 06, 2013
Its d parents responsibility but did is no news
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by Ebestsmscom: 12:50pm On May 06, 2013
Not only their responsibilty but should also be their NO 1 PRIORITY.

Education should be the first item in every home scale of preference.
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by Dreamflyin(m): 12:53pm On May 06, 2013
fresh_dude: Madam, I think you're possessing of expression and/or comprehension challenges, I mean problems, as well.

Na u go start am. U ar at fault dude!!
Admit it n lets roll dis nice convo on.

1 Like

Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by EveryLadY(f): 1:06pm On May 06, 2013
@op,I think most people has answered right.Depending on what angel you are looking at it from.It is both an achievement and a responsibility.Parents take pride in knowing that they did not fail in their responsibility to their children,so it becomes an achievement.

1 Like

Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by pekelepekele(m): 1:07pm On May 06, 2013
When you become a mother you will understand better
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by alienware(m): 1:09pm On May 06, 2013
yeye post. if you no train ur child who go train am . who even advise you make u bring this kind question here.
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by DICKtator: 1:09pm On May 06, 2013
Of course ,it is every parents' responsibility to send their children to school whether male or female. I do not see reasons for this thread at all
grin grin grin grin
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by DICKtator: 1:09pm On May 06, 2013
Every_LadY: @op,I think most people has answered right.Depending on what [b]angel you are looking at it from.It is both an achievement and a responsibility.Parents take pride in knowing that they did not fail in their responsibility to their children,so it becomes an achievement.[/b]
Angel?
grin grin grin grin
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 06, 2013
Education is a right that should be enjoyed by every child regardless of the color, age, gender, ethnic. A responsibility of both parents and government to build a wholesome man, A pride to Self, Parent and Nation.
Re: Is A Child's Education An Achievement To Parents Or Their Responsibility? by alphaconde(m): 1:44pm On May 06, 2013
A child has a right to education and so it is the parents responsibilty but buy the way education isn't what gulps the most money in a childs upbringing. Feeding tops the list.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Parents - Do Your Children Have Godparents? / Is It Right To Abandon Your Pregnant Girl Child?? / 16 Advantages And Disadvantages Of Working Class Wives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.