Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,152 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly (19195 Views)

Rivers University Expels Student For Having Speech And Hearing Challenges / Ondo Rewards JSS Student For Returning N180K (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 06, 2012
Marcel Pohl completed 60 examinations in 20 months, gaining a grade of 2.3, and was officially ex-matriculated in August 2011. Such a course usually takes 11 semesters, but he only needed three.

Now the Essen-based School of Economics and Management (FOM) want the 22-year-old to pay his fees up the end of 2011 - an extra €3,000.

"When I got the lawsuit, I thought it couldn't be true," Pohl, who now works for a bank in Frankfurt, told the Bild newspaper. "Performance is supposed to be worth something."

Pohl completed his turbo degree by dividing up all the simultaneous lectures with two friends and then swapping notes. At the same time, he completed an apprenticeship in a bank.

"We didn't get any freebies, and we agreed our plans in advance with the school," Pohl said.

"We're always against slow students," said his lawyer Bernhard Kraas. "But when someone hurries and finishes early, suddenly he has to pay. That can't be right."

But the FOM argues that its fees are the total price for the studies, independent of how long the studies last. But if that it is the case, it remains unclear why they are only calling for a part of the cost for 11 semesters.

"We do not want to comment on the case before it has reached court," a university spokesman said.

Source: http://www.thelocal.de/education/20120703-43517.html

1 Like

Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by Nobody: 11:00am On Jul 07, 2012
Wow! I don't think The Flash could do that. But why's the school suing him? One would think they'd actually be in favour of what the kid did. Smh.

1 Like

Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by Flashaldrin(m): 12:14pm On Jul 07, 2012
lol, too much of everything is bad

1 Like

Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by Zenanted(m): 12:16pm On Jul 07, 2012
i wish i'll get dat opportunity hr in naija ,i'll do it twice!
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by ACM10: 12:20pm On Jul 07, 2012
Is it a crime to be a fast learner? I hate to study in the company of slow-learners. That's why I would want the Nigerian educational system to be reformed so that everyone can learn at his/her own speed.
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by neksummi(m): 12:26pm On Jul 07, 2012
Why did they allow him graduate in the first place if they thought he was owing any fees?

1 Like

Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by trigar12(m): 12:28pm On Jul 07, 2012
NA WA O...9JA SHA
VIA: NOKIA 3110c
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jul 07, 2012
Yea, that was cool but he has succeded in shortenin his time, why not pay the bill.

Well, in nigeria u wouldnt get such opportunity.
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by Uchenna42(m): 12:33pm On Jul 07, 2012
Mtchew........Next topic please................

1 Like

Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by facebreak(m): 12:39pm On Jul 07, 2012
Abi 00
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by ebamma(m): 12:48pm On Jul 07, 2012
if na naija university them for fail am say him do cheating pass.
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by etchel(m): 1:17pm On Jul 07, 2012
ok so now it has come to the extent of getting sued to be a smart ass. I guess i did better get a lawyer right on time for being smart. cos if i were the student... trust a naija dude i will not only graduate fast but i will make others to graduate even faster ... and you know what that means... Business as usual of course. Just pity the guy. kinda young so he might not know what to do.hehe hehe .imao
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by Olalekan0(m): 1:22pm On Jul 07, 2012
AJJ: Yea, that was cool but he has succeded in shortenin his time, why not pay the bill.

Well, in nigeria u wouldnt get such opportunity.
Babcock and a few other private unis in nigeria confers degree in three years provided you're able to complete your course-work ahead of others and take classes during the summer!
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by heilige(m): 1:27pm On Jul 07, 2012
Well he has to pay, because fees are calculated according to moduls u take
And not how fast or late u finish
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by Chaydee(m): 1:36pm On Jul 07, 2012
Flashaldrin: lol, too much of everything is bad
so Too much of Bomb na Boko Haram grin grin grin
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by pato405(m): 1:38pm On Jul 07, 2012
don't the school have regulations on maximum credits that can be registered per semester? undecided undecided undecided undecidedthat school must be disorganised angry angry
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by mavtrevor(m): 1:42pm On Jul 07, 2012
Thats why in most Nigerian universities you have a stipulated amount of course units to register per semester, and the remaining wont be able to take more than 2 to 3 courses for that semester. i dont see the issue there, the university is right since there is a total amount of fees for such course whether he completes it in a month or 100 he has to pay for the total fee and will even incur more if he failed any year.
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 07, 2012
Olalekan 0: Babcock and a few other private unis in nigeria confers degree in three years provided you're able to complete your course-work ahead of others and take classes during the summer!

It is the upgraded secondary schools that allow such. Its nice sha. I m sure their bills will be paid.

1 Like

Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by Paentera(m): 2:04pm On Jul 07, 2012
Olalekan 0: Babcock and a few other private unis in nigeria confers degree in three years provided you're able to complete your course-work ahead of others and take classes during the summer!

This if true is so cool, however I see cultural factors at play. When you graduate in 3 years and land in the job market, it is likely that most of the companies recruiting will find it not only difficult to comprehend, the job seeker would be thought of as overtly ambitious. Naija will need to be re-oriented about this first, else the student will suffer for his/her ingenuity.
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by dapsyd1(m): 2:16pm On Jul 07, 2012
I think the school is damn wrong, the fault is on their side. If they could not have a stipulated number of courses u can take per semester that means they operate ''do as u like''. And since u pay per semester not on d number of courses u take, then the guy play a smart game that was beyond their comprhension.
Well done smart guy!!!
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by uceee(m): 2:33pm On Jul 07, 2012
Wonderfull. That's my kind of guy. No time.

1 Like

Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by Orikinla(m): 2:42pm On Jul 07, 2012
sting_224: Marcel Pohl completed 60 examinations in 20 months, gaining a grade of 2.3, and was officially ex-matriculated in August 2011. Such a course usually takes 11 semesters, but he only needed three.

Now the Essen-based School of Economics and Management (FOM) want the 22-year-old to pay his fees up the end of 2011 - an extra €3,000.

"When I got the lawsuit, I thought it couldn't be true," Pohl, who now works for a bank in Frankfurt, told the Bild newspaper. "Performance is supposed to be worth something."

Pohl completed his turbo degree by dividing up all the simultaneous lectures with two friends and then swapping notes. At the same time, he completed an apprenticeship in a bank.

"We didn't get any freebies, and we agreed our plans in advance with the school," Pohl said.

"We're always against slow students," said his lawyer Bernhard Kraas. "But when someone hurries and finishes early, suddenly he has to pay. That can't be right."

But the FOM argues that its fees are the total price for the studies, independent of how long the studies last. But if that it is the case, it remains unclear why they are only calling for a part of the cost for 11 semesters.

"We do not want to comment on the case before it has reached court," a university spokesman said.

Source: http://www.thelocal.de/education/20120703-43517.html

Some faster geniuses like Bill Gates simply drop out to work at their own speed ahead of their peers.
Some Art courses don't need four years for a degree.
The academic system needs to be rejigged.
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by wandeay: 3:00pm On Jul 07, 2012
9ja private universities can do the same thing, situation whereby ''you pass jamb, u no pass, dey come'', nd conducting 3-5 post ume in a year til next jamb, i no trust dem, dem go even graduate 16-year-old pikin
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by mrkels(m): 3:06pm On Jul 07, 2012
Zenanted: i wish i'll get dat opportunity hr in naija ,i'll do it twice!
lol at Twice
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by abY2: 3:22pm On Jul 07, 2012
Nigerians go dey ds guy lineage.haha,na sharp boy
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by toboy: 3:48pm On Jul 07, 2012
neksummi: Why did they allow him graduate in the first place if they thought he was owing any fees?
i wonder oo!
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by Everest9(m): 4:36pm On Jul 07, 2012
waw thats gud
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by Okukk(m): 4:44pm On Jul 07, 2012
But was it not the same school that cleared him and then certified him okay? Sometimes so news are just too real to be true*
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by logica(m): 5:57pm On Jul 07, 2012
Isn't there a limit to course units (work load) per semester?
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by ishmael(m): 6:02pm On Jul 07, 2012
pato405: don't the school have regulations on maximum credits that can be registered per semester? undecided undecided undecided undecidedthat school must be disorganised angry angry
I second ur post. From what I know there is a minimum and a maximum number of credit units u're allowed to take per semester.
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by oladayo042: 6:35pm On Jul 07, 2012
No dulling. I dey feel the guy sha - finishing in 3 semesters what will take others 11 semesters!
Re: University Sues Student For Completing Degree Too Quickly by kaybos: 7:11pm On Jul 07, 2012
Sharp guy. He took advantage of a systemic failure of a disorganised structure

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tricks On How To Read And Pass Your Exams Waec,neco,jamb..etc / Which Of These Statements Gave You Great Joy When You Were A Student / 6 DELSU Lecturers Sacked For Sexual Harassment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.