Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,062 members, 7,953,224 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:40 PM

I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss (10960 Views)

Nigeria Automobile Sector To Contribute 4.5% Of 2016 Global Sales / How Well Do You Know Your Automobile? / "Brand New" Ford Escape 2012 From Coscharis here In Lagos.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by Kayday(m): 2:48am On Jul 08, 2012
I didnt know that the story was long until i started reading peoples comments. U simply can not put the story down. What a humble begining. Look at the SCALE part of it. Some pple on this thread are pupils, hence the kind of comments they tend to make.
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by Afam4eva(m): 3:12am On Jul 08, 2012
What a story of hardwork and resilience. Vintage ndi Nnewi. One of the most hardworking business people in Nigeria.
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by braveheart2012(m): 4:02am On Jul 08, 2012
His story has MANY holes and inconsistencies. How do you go from N3,000 capital to winning one of ten car import licenses? I also find it very strange that he parted ways with all his business partners because of "ideological differences". What differences specifically? Did he cheat them of their money? We'll never know.

Maduka claims that he was smoking and drinking at some point between the age of 9 and 14 (most likely between the ages of 10 and 13). Did children smoke and drink in Nigeria in the seventies? Also, he stops mentioning his relationship with God and his affiliation with the Redeemed Church after he got kicked out of his uncle's shop. What happened after he got kicked out? What church does he attend now? He tries to attribute his success to God but we can't just automatically link his current wealth with his encounter with God when he was 14! What happened between the ages of 14 and now? In what ways did God intervene to turn-around his situation? Miracles are specific. I can't find any specific instances of divine intervention in this story. All I see are unsubstantiated platitudes and a story about a plucky, lucky man.

Something about this story isn't completely logical but if this sanitized version of reality encourages others, then it's OK. However, Nigerian journalists need to start thinking critically and asking some hard questions. In this day and age of "all na packaging" and "anything goes", they can't just present unsubstantiated stories like these and expect smart, thinking Nigerians to buy it completely. I have an uncle that looted the Nigerian government blind (is is most definitely a member of secret cults). However if you ask him how he got rich, he will say it was because of God and point to his title from the Anglican church. All na packaging! That's Naija for you! grin

7 Likes

Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by Nobody: 5:34am On Jul 08, 2012
braveheart2012: His story has MANY holes and inconsistencies. How do you go from N3,000 capital to winning one of ten car import licenses? I also find it very strange that he parted ways with all his business partners because of "ideological differences". What differences specifically? Did he cheat them of their money? We'll never know.

Maduka claims that he was smoking and drinking at some point between the age of 9 and 14 (most likely between the ages of 10 and 13). Did children smoke and drink in Nigeria in the seventies? Also, he stops mentioning his relationship with God and his affiliation with the Redeemed Church after he got kicked out of his uncle's shop. What happened after he got kicked out? What church does he attend now? He tries to attribute his success to God but we can't just automatically link his current wealth with his encounter with God when he was 14! What happened between the ages of 14 and now? In what ways did God intervene to turn-around his situation? Miracles are specific. I can't find any specific instances of divine intervention in this story. All I see are unsubstantiated platitudes and a story about a plucky, lucky man.

Something about this story isn't completely logical but if this sanitized version of reality encourages others, then it's OK. However, Nigerian journalists need to start thinking critically and asking some hard questions. In this day and age of "all na packaging" and "anything goes", they can't just present unsubstantiated stories like these and expect smart, thinking Nigerians to buy it completely. I have an uncle that looted the Nigerian government blind (is is most definitely a member of secret cults). However if you ask him how he got rich, he will say it was because of God and point to his title from the Anglican church. All na packaging! That's Naija for you! grin

I'm bold enough to hit the nail directly on dude's head and people are screaming tribalism.How many successful people both businessmen and politicians have GENUINE wealth in Nigeria as at date ? Was it not in this same country that a former NDDC chairman contracted a native doctor to help him jazz Godswill Akpabio by burning over #600 million to gain favor from Akpabio ? The famous okija shrine had and still habe successful businessmen and notable politicians as its members yet some imbe*ciles are crying foul.NONSENSE like I give a fu*ck about their rants. angry
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by FSU: 6:18am On Jul 08, 2012
Bluetooth,

I see that you have so much experience with Babalawos. That is why you assume everyone else does. BTW, how did Otedola and Adenuga make their money? By killing and eating human flesh like most Yorubas do abi? So those your pastors (Adeboye etc) do rituals in the night to?

What do you have to say about this thread?
https://www.nairaland.com/983856/suspected-al-qaeda-nigerian-members-arraigned

1 Like

Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by waice6571: 6:58am On Jul 08, 2012
Man is a produt of his thinking.
if guys of today think abt future they ll choose a hard but honorable path to succsess instead of cyber crime.
Too many hypocrites on NL.
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by member479760: 7:11am On Jul 08, 2012
too long story na lie full inside jare!

1 Like

Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by blacklion(m): 7:18am On Jul 08, 2012
The yahoo yahoo boys are busy hating on this thread. They never like to hear of success attained through hard work because its a reproach to their criminal lifestyle.

3 Likes

Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by blacklion(m): 7:22am On Jul 08, 2012
etchel: too long to read the whole article. a summary will always do

And you just had to post simply to tell us this?

If its too long, simply step over and stop flaming the thread with your infantile pranks.

If the article was about 2Face has fathered yet another love child, you'd happily read 100 pages of petty gossip.

1 Like

Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by 3rdparty: 7:22am On Jul 08, 2012
alaoeri: Every success story is sweet but they won't disclose the real turn around in their life, to every great success there's always a great crime.

What turn around do you need disclosed again?

The man was granted an import license by the Nigerian government, and he used his import license to negotiate for sole distributorship of BMW in a country of 150m people.

Whether he farouked to get the import license from the Nigerian government is a story for another day.

So, all in all, he is not a self made man
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by blacklion(m): 7:29am On Jul 08, 2012
A typical Nnewi businessman will never disclose to anyone outside of his close family circle, his real business breakthrough. So any one waiting for Cosmas Maduka to disclose the precise connection or circumstances that brought about the import license in 1982 will be waiting till eternity.

That does not mean he is a ritualist. Maduka is a typical old school Nnewi spare parts dealer/transporter. His contemporaries are Ekene Dili Chukwu, GUO etc. These guys made their money the old fashioned way - through hard work and sweat. It also helped to be an Nnewi indigene in the spare parts business because it gives you access to goods on credit, joint importation opportunities etc.

Today, thanks to Nollywood and the lazy, get-rich-quick mentality of most youths, many find it difficult to believe that people can make money easily from spare parts business back in the 1970s/80s without being also a politician, govt contractor or ritualist. They forget that the Nigerian economy was very buoyant until IBB introduced SAP in 1986 and that spare parts is an essential commodity. As long as you are a car owner, you must buy spare parts. Making money in spare parts business back then is not as hard as it it today.

1 Like

Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by marvel10: 7:30am On Jul 08, 2012
Nairalanders are such doubtful Toms. Why the level of distrust and needless jealousy? I have chosen to take a number of pointers that include, providing for my family in the event of death. That man was a child slave! The fact that he has money today does not take away his suffering. His die hard attitude paid off and kept him going in the face of adversity. I found his account honest. If you read any interview by the likes of Okoya and his Lagos buddies, they will never be that honest and will waffle about how they imported this and found success.

This chap was honest to mention that he parted ways with his brother and friend. Some slowpoke offered Zuckerberg and I can't even begin to comprehend the comparison. Today, you have the computer,internet, MBA, dishwasher, mobile phones and can't begin to emulate Coscharis' thinking pattern. From Richard Branson to Zuckerberg, the lot of them have particularly rich parents and friends who invest monies in their businesses, do not doubt them, abuse their traditions and beliefs so they get the encouragement they need.

2 Likes

Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by blacklion(m): 7:39am On Jul 08, 2012
3rdparty:

What turn around do you need disclosed again?

The man was granted an import license by the Nigerian government, and he used his import license to negotiate for sole distributorship of BMW in a country of 150m people.

Whether he farouked to get the import license from the Nigerian government is a story for another day.

So, all in all, he is not a self made man

Please get your history right.

The import license of 1982 was for motor cycle spare parts, not BMW auto sales franchise. Until 1986, by law all businessmen in Nigeria had to obtain import license from Federal Ministry of Finance/CBN to import goods of any kind. IBB abolished it as part of the SAP policy. So import license has NOTHING to do with auto sales franchise.

FYI, Coscharis was not the original BMW franchisee in Nigeria. Ultimate Motors held the franchise from about 1985/6 until around 1998/99 when Coscharis got it. Their office was at Apapa back then. Coscharis was not into automobile sales or even spare parts in 1982; by 1982, he was still mostly in the motorcycle spare parts business. His warehouse was at Kirikiri then. Ultimate Motors was owned by Indians or Lebanese, I believe. I don't know how exactly they lost the BMW franchise and Coscharis got it - or whether they sold it to him.

It was after Coscharis got the Ford franchise (which also came with BMW and Landrover) that he built that showroom at VI - Adeola Odeku.

People should make effort to learn before putting down others.

3 Likes

Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by blacklion(m): 7:43am On Jul 08, 2012
marvel10: Nairalanders are such doubtful Toms. Why the level of distrust and needless jealousy? I have chosen to take a number of pointers that include, providing for my family in the event of death. That man was a child slave! The fact that he has money today does not take away his suffering. His die hard attitude paid off and kept him going in the face of adversity. I found his account honest. If you read any interview by the likes of Okoya and his Lagos buddies, they will never be that honest and will waffle about how they imported this and found success.

Don't mind them. Just the usual haters. Child slavery in the name of apprenticeship was very common in those days. I have uncles who began life as apprentices at the age of 9/10 due to poverty. Ilodibe (Ekene Dili Chukwu) began life as a houseboy to an Irish reverend father, then served as a conductor on mammy wagon (bolekaja or gwongworo), then became a bolekaja driver before borrowing money to buy a second hand bus and joined transport business.
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by betrani(m): 7:52am On Jul 08, 2012
Beaf: @OAM4J

I can see you are viewing this thread. I'm waiting patiently for you to ban bluetooth.
Bannin him won't solve d problem! As u can c his a witch; personified! He can transform to infra-red, or beta WIFI! grin
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by Murphylink(m): 8:03am On Jul 08, 2012
I sometimes wonder, if nairaland is full morons ?
There loads & lot of things we youth can learn from this. majority of us on nairaland are graduates who are preoccupied with promoting others people ideas.
He talks about invention, investment & idea utilization. But most criticise him for been prudent & judicious.
Though life stories told or not, are f"ull of ups & downs" with truth & half-truth. What me personally think is for us to make good use of all the values he mentioned- belief in God, good use of idea, humility & prudent use of limited resources.

1 Like

Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by Nobody: 8:03am On Jul 08, 2012
The man is an exploitative prick. The only thing that can be learnt from him is exploitation.
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 08, 2012
Gosh. You guyz should simply take a cue from this man and make your own history.Follow the step of a successful man,dont envy him.Not every succesful man did rituals.And who told you that it is only via computer programming that you can be successful? Trade like fashion design, repairs, apprenticeship in sales have made people millionaires at young age in life. Learn to be successful and stop hatting.
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by ABsI1: 8:24am On Jul 08, 2012
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by owelle22(m): 8:24am On Jul 08, 2012
braveheart2012: His story has MANY holes and inconsistencies. How do you go from N3,000 capital to winning one of ten car import licenses? I also find it very strange that he parted ways with all his business partners because of "ideological differences". What differences specifically? Did he cheat them of their money? We'll never know.

Go to bed
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by ABsI1: 8:28am On Jul 08, 2012
U forking wop.summary my yansh.dats what d man said about ur corner cutting type.always looking for d easiest route to all matter.lazy tin
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 08, 2012
FSU: [s]Bluetooth,

I see that you have so much experience with Babalawos. That is why you assume everyone else does. BTW, how did Otedola and Adenuga make their money? By killing and eating human flesh like most Yorubas do abi? So those your pastors (Adeboye etc) do rituals in the night to?

What do you have to say about this thread?[/s] https://www.nairaland.com/983856/suspected-al-qaeda-nigerian-members-arraigned

This is fu*cking hysterics. . .what do businessmen and politicians of eastern descent go to do in okija shrine ? Answer the question and stop kissing my butt around.
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by seunwen2(m): 8:48am On Jul 08, 2012
oga u try
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by bilaya(m): 9:03am On Jul 08, 2012
~Bluetooth:

He wont tell us he visited okija shrine o.typical ibo man.

Looking at your picture,I now understand why you are so frustrated.Igbos didn't make you so ugly.Blame that LovePeddler you call a mother for giving birth to an ugly cretin like you.May the gods strike destroy that your halitosis of a mouth.You talk as if shrines are only in Igboland.You forgot that a shrine belonging to ritualists was found in Yorubaland but because the moderators are Yoruba,it never made front page.Read the full story below

Ogun Police uncover ritualists’ shrine, arrest
Ogun State Command of the Nigeria Police
said, Tuesday, that it had uncovered a
shrine belonging to ritualists and
fraudsters in Iganke, a border town
between Ogun and Lagos states.
The shrine, which is located in a forest on
the expressway of the border town, was
filled with charms and other scary
elements.
At a briefing at the scene, state Police
Commissioner, Mr. Ikemefunna Okoye,
said two people had been arrested over the
incident.
Okoye said his men had been on the
lookout for shrines and others places
where evils were being perpetrated in the
state.
He said the arrest of two members of the
group in abetting led to the discovery of
the shrine. According to him, ‘’One of
them tried to dupe someone of money,
but through intelligence gathering, we got
to hear about it.
“We immediately swung into action and
were able to arrest two of the members of
the syndicate who brought us to the shrine
where they do all sought of things such
rituals and frauds. Our investigation
department is working on it and will soon
complete it.”[/quote]
www.osundefender.org/?p=33307

LETS NOT FORGET THAT TWO SHRINES BELONGING TO RITUALISTS WERE DISCOVERED IN OGUN WITHIN ONE WEEK

2 Likes

Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by captalex(m): 9:22am On Jul 08, 2012
Short attention span?
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by ebamma(m): 9:25am On Jul 08, 2012
were did he get the capital to start the importation of cars?,abi na the 3000 naira him use?
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by ypzilanti: 9:30am On Jul 08, 2012
chipmunkey: Although his success is phenomenal, he should not sound like what his accomplished is not achievable by someone else.
I know i travelled from school somewhere in Old Ondo state to Lagos at age 13. So i don't see anything special about his early struggles.

He became Coscharis, you became chipmunkey. grin

2 Likes

Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by samkoro: 9:31am On Jul 08, 2012

Blackmen and the problem of reading
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by Abali1(m): 9:36am On Jul 08, 2012
Why not just pick out the useful points and move on. Even if Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga, Okoya, etc were to tell their success stoiries, NL will still find a way to put them down.
Haba, why do we always love to criticize others or talk bad about them, when we are not better.
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by Nobody: 9:38am On Jul 08, 2012
a nice and inspiring story.......dis will give me the strenght to relly on God.......and to always workhard......inspiring lol
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by captalex(m): 9:38am On Jul 08, 2012
blink182: The man is an exploitative prick. The only thing that can be learnt from im is exploitation.

Why do you say so blink? I was thinking of patronizing him for my first BMW when God provides.
Does getting a tear rubber online beat getting one from him? Pros and cons of getting a Nigerian tear rubber vehicle would do.
Re: I Became An Automobile Apprentice At 7 – Coscharis Boss by ypzilanti: 9:41am On Jul 08, 2012
~Bluetooth:

He wont tell us he visited okija shrine o.typical ibo man.

And okija shrine gave him knowledge to manage men and money. They are giving MBAs in Okija shrine. Its this sort of native thinking that is keeping Nigerians down.

How you know a productive billionaire is that you will see the product or services they render everywhere. Anytime you see a new BMW, Range rover or ford on the road, the guy has a percentage of the money. Okija my ass. Go to Okija and become a billionaire too...abi you no like money?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps / Why Are There Many Fx35 On Sale? / Honda Accord.... Beast On The Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.