Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,411 members, 7,815,920 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here (7080 Views)

Hotel Accountants Let's Meet Here And Discuss / Professional Accountants In The House? / What Is The Average Pay Of Chartered Accountants In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by optimiza: 11:36pm On Jan 11, 2013
Tanx for dis tread.am a graduate of maths and economics.I luv accounting so much buh dnt knw anything there. Jst got an offer in a finance dept in a comp. Dnt knw what to expect, pls send me trainin manual for peachtree or quickbook software. My box is reubenitez@yahoo.com .tanx
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Paulipopor: 12:36am On Jan 12, 2013
optimiza: Tanx for dis tread.am a graduate of maths and economics.I luv accounting so much buh dnt knw anything there. Jst got an offer in a finance dept in a comp. Dnt knw what to expect, pls send me trainin manual for peachtree or quickbook software. My box is reubenitez@yahoo.com .tanx
training manual abt peachtree or whatever is not what you need now. Try and understand the fundamentals abt accounting. What did you apply as? What accountin software do they use? What exactly will you be Doing? Find these things out first of all.

1 Like

Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Mustay(m): 3:56am On Jan 12, 2013
Jarus: I don't believe exam should be about syllabus alone , there is nothing wrong in chipping in one or two general questions apart from the regualar 'define this', 'what is XX?', 'discuss 5 xtics of YY' and all those questions. In my FA old PE1, imagine being asked questions about excel, how to expand row etc. These are things you won't find in syllabus but clearly not out of order for someone in PE1 of ICAN.

Similarly, in last foundation economics, there was a question on 'currency redesign', obviously wantimg to test knowledge of economy in respect of Sanusi's currency redesign attempt. These are things you won't find in syllabus or even textbooks, but with common sense you should be able to answer this kind of question as an economics candidate in ICAN. With your ideas(mere listening to radio or hearing peppersoup joints gists or even reading politics section of Nairaland, you should be able to attempt this kind of questions and do well above average. But many students will expect direct, syllabus-programmed questions like 'what is elasticity of demand?'.

You're being trained to become a chartered accountant and even in practice there will be one-off, peculiar cases that will require your intuition.

Yet, 80% of ICAN questions are direct questions from syllabus which is enough to pass.

Whilst professional exams are not unexpected to simulate real-life scenarios as part of exam questions, I have an issue with deviating from the syllabus for an exam - that defeats the purpose of the study objectives.

Am not here writing about GIGO students 'lazily' expect but this is one big F when one compares ICAN with other professional exams. In the build up to becoming a PA, different courses build up together till you have something like a tree. Examiners should not go beyond the scope of the syllabi in setting their questions - from there, they begin to break their rules. This is not to say one (the student) cannot input knowledge garnered from another paper and use it in a particular paper but this is different from having an exam where you begin to read from JSS 1 to SSS3 texts because anything can come out. Even standard-setters are aware of what the candidates can consume and confine to so as not to lose focus.

Using ACCA's syllabus guide as a template, the particular paper is diagramatically explained to see where or how it relates with other papers - one is not expected to go back totally to the paper but you are for yourself the level you are expected to progress in each syllabus content via the knowledge levels 1 - 3.

I would limit this to ACCA because am comparing similar exams, but other international exams I know of, the syllabus is NEVER negated partially or otherwise. In the examiner's report, the examiner sometimes tells you where the question came from in the syllabus. I think ICAN needs to help her students more to demistify these exams - availability of exam resources will enable an observant student know the 'tricks' of passing a paper.

As for students, this is something I observe - knowledge builds up. You start from ATS to PE, from simple to hard for a reason - do not ever read to pass!!! It will always 'open your yansh' somewhere especially where a previous paper relates to the next paper one is taking.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by optimiza: 4:35pm On Jan 12, 2013
I aplied for finance officeR to start around february dis year.I told dem during d interview I can handle peactree and quickbook. I hav started reading on stuff lik bookkeeping and payroll procedures buh I can tel yu I need peachtree or quickbok skills pls try send d training manual.again my box is reubenitez@yahoo.com
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 12, 2013
optimiza: I aplied for finance officeR to start around february dis year.I told dem during d interview I can handle peactree and quickbook. I hav started reading on stuff lik bookkeeping and payroll procedures buh I can tel yu I need peachtree or quickbok skills pls try send d training manual.again my box is reubenitez@yahoo.com

If you want to be retain at the job... Get a tutor within this short time because you will be responsible for someone financials so no child's play
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by optimiza: 6:34pm On Jan 12, 2013
How do I get a tutor? Dats why I need training manuals cos basically dis days accounting procedures ar done electronically.I stil remember my basic foundation on elementary book keeping and balance sheet stuff. U knw am a graduate of maths and Econs. Pls guide me properly I wil apreciate ur effort cos I need to do well at dis job. The job description is accnt maintenance and payroll procedures,posting vouchers and monitoring company assets etc
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by CelebrityP: 6:43pm On Jan 12, 2013
Am a graduate of economics, still awaiting service in march, i want to take d exam for may, been trying to find a class in abuja bt cant get any with morning session, will be glad if somone points me to do right direction
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Paulipopor: 8:41pm On Jan 12, 2013
optimiza: How do I get a tutor? Dats why I need training manuals cos basically dis days accounting procedures ar done electronically.I stil remember my basic foundation on elementary book keeping and balance sheet stuff. U knw am a graduate of maths and Econs. Pls guide me properly I wil apreciate ur effort cos I need to do well at dis job. The job description is accnt maintenance and payroll procedures,posting vouchers and monitoring company assets etc
elementary accounting/book keeping is far far different from practical accounting and working as an accountant is a different ball game. Trust me. If you're in lagos, try and look for someone who can teach you one-on-one. It's better safe than sorry. If thats not possible. Go and get a video to learn it. If you can't get that. Go to computer village and get the cd and install it on ur system. I can teach you online as i won't be in lagos till like February/March. Don't be deceived, Reading the manual will not help.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Paulipopor: 8:46pm On Jan 12, 2013
CelebrityP: Am a graduate of economics, still awaiting service in march, i want to take d exam for may, been trying to find a class in abuja bt cant get any with morning session, will be glad if somone points me to do right direction
try Bratim, they're located in the national library complex in abuja or call this number 0803 374 60 01...official hrs only
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by optimiza: 10:24pm On Jan 12, 2013
Tanx! What's d name of d cd/video so I get it myself frm computer village and how much does it cost? If I go tru dis video pls ar my sured of holding my role as a finance officer? Pls do anytin even online wil do.I tink de hav qualified accountant in d firm ,my own is to complement dia effort cos de needed person wit atleast a year experience
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Paulipopor: 1:45am On Jan 13, 2013
optimiza: Tanx! What's d name of d cd/video so I get it myself frm computer village and how much does it cost? If I go tru dis video pls ar my sured of holding my role as a finance officer? Pls do anytin even online wil do.I tink de hav qualified accountant in d firm ,my own is to complement dia effort cos de needed person wit atleast a year experience
just tell then peachtree cd. This will give you some general understanding and the workability. It will still not give you an 'expert' knowledge. The knowledge comes with experience. Don't really know the cost. 'Complementing' their effort is not what you'r really employed for but doing your own. You'll have your own table since you claimed to have worked it the packages for at least one year. They'll expect you to know basic things.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by CelebrityP: 8:07am On Jan 13, 2013
Thanks so much
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by optimiza: 9:13am On Jan 13, 2013
I undastand ur point,dis short time training may not b enough.what do yu advise me to do? See if yu can offer to train me online cos time is fast aproaching. Leme knw basic things first,d rest can be learned on-the-job
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Paulipopor: 9:23am On Jan 13, 2013
optimiza: I undastand ur point,dis short time training may not b enough.what do yu advise me to do? See if yu can offer to train me online cos time is fast aproaching. Leme knw basic things first,d rest can be learned on-the-job
i can teach you online. Get the peachtree software installed on your system and we'll fix the days and time for the training.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by optimiza: 10:34am On Jan 13, 2013
K! Pls leme get ur contact no so I can reach yu conviniently.for public sake yu can send it to mi box
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by CelebrityP: 7:03am On Jan 18, 2013
I tried Bratim, bt they do just evening session, pls can somone point me to a very good private tutor for Ican in abuja or keffi
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Paulipopor: 7:05am On Jan 18, 2013
optimiza: K! Pls leme get ur contact no so I can reach yu conviniently.for public sake yu can send it to mi box
i'v sent you a PM. My numbers inclusive. Cheers!
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by landinfo: 7:34pm On Jan 18, 2013
@ all
link me to ican-site to print their past questions.
Thankz
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Paulipopor: 9:08pm On Jan 18, 2013
Nairaland=info:
@ all
link me to ican-site to print their past questions.
Thankz

http://www.icanig.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=256&Itemid=558
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by yinlak: 2:09pm On Jul 10, 2014
Dear Colleague,
Please help me out with a sample of an Internal Audit Program applicable in Nigeria Environment to:
1. General Business
2. Insurance Broking Firm
Your responses would be appreciated.
Thank you
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Perpetual459: 11:11pm On Jul 10, 2014
Hello,Does anybody know any TCI centre in Ikorodu?
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by pretimina: 11:55am On Jul 14, 2014
Pls can one enrol for ican TCI without been chartered but in the final stage(one paper left)
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 12:45am On Jul 20, 2014
Nice thread. I appreciate.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Reuben2012(m): 11:52pm On Jul 26, 2014
hello nlanders, i am an Accounting
student in my final year (second semester
ND2) i need recommendation on
textbooks such as public sector
accounting, business finance, cost
Accounting, Taxation and Financial
Accounting. Am also intrested in soft
copy. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by ogedanny: 5:06pm On Aug 08, 2014
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by rajidgreat(m): 11:05pm On Aug 11, 2014
musulumi:
i will check my files and try to help with some on pdf file formats. Drop your email and do not hesitate to ask me anything you need at anytime.

good day sir I will also b glad if I could get did. thanks in adv musulumi.

my mail is rajidgreat@yahoo.com
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by houseoftuition: 1:30am On Aug 28, 2014
You can now get Chartered from the comfort of your own house at www.IcanLectures.com.ng Even if you are new to the Curriculum,with no previous knowledge, it is our diligent commitment and promise to you, that nevertheless, YOU WILL PASS.

Stay in the comfort of your home or office and we'll bring you as perfect an understanding as is humanly possible.
Give us a try and see that these are no mere words.

Regards
The IcanLectures.com.ng Team
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 28, 2014
Deloitte - Akintola Williams Deloitte, a member
firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, is a
professional services organization that provides
audit, tax, consulting, accounting and financial
advisory, corporate finance, and risk advisory
services.
Deloitte offers a world of opportunities for
individuals with an unquenchable thirst for
knowledge, passion for success and impeccable
integrity.
Deloitte Graduate School Scholarship 2014
DescriptionDeloitte Academy in partnership with
Sage ERP Africa offers scholarship opportunity to
100 accounting graduates to participate in the
Deloitte Graduate School.Successful participants
will be trained in International Financial
Reporting Standards (IFRS), preparation of
financial statements including group
accounts.You will also learn the use of Sage
accounting software (ERP).We will give you the
chance to apply theory to real-worId scenarios
thereby enhancing your employment prospects as
you seek employment in the labour market.
Eligibility Criteria:
Be a Nigerian of not more than 26 years;
Be qualified with the Institute of Chattered
Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN);
andBe currently unemployed.
Duration: 4 Months
This initiative is proudly supported by:The
Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria
Sage ERP Africa.
This opportunity is opened to applicants from all
geopolitical zones of Nigeria.
Application Closing Date: Not Stated.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should
submit a detailed CV
to: ifrsacademy@deloitte.com
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by RuksBen: 10:29am On Aug 28, 2014
Hello, pls I need training manuals on peachtree.
Any help?
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Paulipopor: 3:35pm On Aug 28, 2014
RuksBen: Hello, pls I need training manuals on peachtree.
Any help?
Sorry I don't have manual but if you need training on peachtree/sage/quickbooks call me on 07 088 531 500

www.paulipopor..com
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by RuksBen: 7:59pm On Aug 29, 2014
Paulipopor:
Sorry I don't have manual but if you need training on peachtree/sage/quickbooks call me on 07 088 531 500

www.paulipopor..com
Thanx but how are you gonna help me via phone call?
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Paulipopor: 9:00pm On Aug 29, 2014
RuksBen:
Thanx but how are you gonna help me via phone call?

I teach those packages for a fee. Am based in Lagos. We can arrange the meeting point when you're ready.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Access The New Opay Loan Of 200,000 Opay. (insider Information) / Inflation: Block Moulders Commence Five Days Strike / Top 10 Countries With The Highest Salaries In 2015 (updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.