Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? (12726 Views)

Putting God First: Modern-Day Idolatry Among Christians Today / Pastor Sambulo Pours Hot Water On Church Members To Demonstrate 'miracle' / The Lord's Chosen And Their Lemon Apron: Isn't It Idolatry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by deandavid(m): 10:24am On Jul 10, 2012
Yomieluv: jesus's pix?who has seen Jesus before,muchless snap him.do u tink that white babbie u see everywhere is really Jesus?that is what the white imposed on Africa..anytin white is gud,and anytin black represents Evil..as for post,i cant say!
c'mon pple think with ur brain, wch color do u tink jesus was? He was from bethlehem in judea, people from there are white, therefore jesus must be WHITE. Stop fooling around, moreover even if there werent cameras 2000 yrs ago, there should be artist. D pictures of jesus u c 2day might nt be accurate abt jesus, bt should b close to wat jesus looked liked.since everybody then grew long beards, hair and all that. Its jst a description. Moreover as a catholic, i believe the cloth veronica used to wipe jesus's face imprinted his face on it, and i also believe jesus appeared to a saint that drew his face, and that picture is still in the catholic church till 2day. To the op's qtn, i dnt knw if it is idolatry, bt i ll prefer the pictures of jesus and saint to pictures of men of God.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by bhajo(f): 10:29am On Jul 10, 2012
I believe it's just a way of advertising. Different things can bring a person to a church- The holy spirit, friends, including banners, etc.
Some ppl come to churches cos of the pictures they see but what brings them is not necessarily what makes them stay.
Spiritual things sometimes can't just be explained in d natural.
Moreso, i think the pictures are just to show who pastor's the church but nt who is being worshipped...sounds smhw***
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Lakayana: 10:32am On Jul 10, 2012
Yes it is. That thing has been bothering me for a long time now. Are they now taking the place of God? In exodus 32 when the people made the golden calf and started worshiping it God said the people are stiff neck and out of control.That is exactly what the church has turn into out of control the general overseers and their wives are mummy and daddies gods of the churches. It is written clearly in the ten commandments God said i am thy lord and God thou shall not have strange gods before me i tell you those mummies and daddies are strange gods before the almighty God.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by mcsnup: 10:41am On Jul 10, 2012
have you ever wonder why God did not permit the israelite from making images of anything on earth, in the sea and in heaven above. deut 20:4-5, do you not wonder while Jesus was on earth in person, it never dawn on any to take a portrait me him...were there no artist in his days, why had God appear to many in all forms but not image. Why did Jesus say God is spirit and we are to worship him in truth and in spirit. When the scripture talks abt touching God's anointed and doing his prophet no harm psalm 105:15 is grossly misinterpreted as it clearly state in verse 6 who it refers to as God's anointed in vs 15, if u read the whole chapter you get a good understanding of the verse, try not to isolated verses as it is damaging to growth

1 Like

Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 10, 2012
@OP, Idolatry or not, the entire church system has been hijacked by smooth talking orators who are more of motivational speakers. I love 21st century churches, they prove that it is no more about Jesus of Nazareth, but about personal success in this world. Needless to say, they know nothing about afterlife.

1 Like

Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by okeykennedy(m): 10:55am On Jul 10, 2012
U pple have started again..y not leave church tins,it is tins of d spirit..u can't use ur flawed human knowledge n logic 2 judge it..av noticed dis as some pples occupation..stop it!!ur attracting curses 2 ur selves..gon b d last time am gon say dis..

1 Like

Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Daddybee: 10:56am On Jul 10, 2012
It is high time we say what is the truth and leave sentiments out. Someone said they are advertising, what are they advertising if not God and His word? Is it the jeweleries their wives adorn? Muslims are bad and dont av knowledge but av u asked urself why they av never used any pic to represent Mohammed not to talk of the Almighty? Hypocrisy abound in our churches~ I am a christian!
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by 9lifes(m): 11:08am On Jul 10, 2012
Jesus get picture..and who tell u say that white man picture na Jesus..may be black Jesus pic will be fine.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 10, 2012
@OP: there are many pressing issues u can post about, if u're so idle that it's men & churches of God u've decided to start attacking (and/or invite attacks against). Like an earlier poster said, what brings an unbeliever to church is not necessarily what makes him stay. Banners are to advertise the church, not the pastor. There're so many different albeit confusing church names nowadays, e.g, Spirit & Life Bible Church, Spirit of Life Bible Church, Spirit Is Life Bilble Church etc. But if i were to see a banner with a distinct logo & photo (any photo, as long as it distinguishes d church from others), it would make locating a particular church or its branch a lot easier. People don't go into a church to worship the picture they see on the banner, they go in to worship the LORD JESUS, except u mean to tell me u've heard the name of Pastor Chris, or whichever pastor made u open this thread, being worshipped! I think we should spend more time trying to study God's word for ourselves instead of criticizing others over issues we don't know much about.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 10, 2012
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by gbadexy(m): 11:30am On Jul 10, 2012
Muslims don't have the image of Muhammad and we consider it very wrong to depict him with a picture conjured from our imagination.
Even if we have the real picture or image of muhammad, you won't see it in the home of ant true muslim. Islam is TOTALLY against it and it is seen as idolatry worship.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Abagworo(m): 11:37am On Jul 10, 2012
Its clearly against God's commandment.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by zig2ryme04: 11:40am On Jul 10, 2012
[b][/b] who told you that the picture u called jesus is the picture of jesus? how sure are u? definately if u have that picture of jesus in your house u are an idol worshiper.its better to put the picture of the founder than to put the picture of the jesus you cant recognise his face. read the book of revelation it will tell you more how jesus looks like.[size=8pt][/size]
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by FXKing2012(m): 11:46am On Jul 10, 2012
OilSubsidy: So FXKing2012 can be objective for once in his life. I use to think that everything is 'touch not my annoited' with you. Thank God for Nairaland!

This actually got me laughing in so many languages. Of course u know I'm always very objective, perhaps too objective sometimes
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by toorich: 11:58am On Jul 10, 2012
@OP, you can as well snap Jesus or the Holy spirit and give us his picture to use because any other drawing will be idolatory.

i bet someone like you will rather use "Dove" to represent the God that created you. i think thats not only idolatory but an insult to represent God with an animal.

you should learn the meaning of words before you use them. using the picture of a MOG on banners doesnt mean they present themselves to you to worship them as God, it simple means this is the vessel through which God is going to bless you because he is anionted for the purpose. God uses him for your sake, if God is going to bless you He wont appear physical but thats why he anoints some MEN specially for the purpose. they point you to salvation from Jesus, fellowhip with God and help you grow in spiritual things.

you hear of Apostle paul, peter, john and the likes, God use these early saints to bless you with the Bible you use. you should have said it was idolatory to use the names of men as books of the HOLY bible.

wake you and get religion out of your mind.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by kiss4love(f): 12:00pm On Jul 10, 2012
is wrong to use d picture of a pastor

Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by FXKing2012(m): 12:09pm On Jul 10, 2012
toorich: @OP, you can as well snap Jesus or the Holy spirit and give us his picture to use because any other drawing will be idolatory.

i bet someone like you will rather use "Dove" to represent the God that created you. i think thats not only idolatory but an insult to represent God with an animal.

you should learn the meaning of words before you use them. using the picture of a MOG on banners doesnt mean they present themselves to you to worship them as God, it simple means this is the vessel through which God is going to bless you because he is anionted for the purpose. God uses him for your sake, if God is going to bless you He wont appear physical but thats why he anoints some MEN specially for the purpose. they point you to salvation from Jesus, fellowhip with God and help you grow in spiritual things.

you hear of Apostle paul, peter, john and the likes, God use these early saints to bless you with the Bible you use. you should have said it was idolatory to use the names of men as books of the HOLY bible.

wake you and get religion out of your mind.

For your mind now u dont talk be dat ooo (lol).
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by samkoro: 12:15pm On Jul 10, 2012
FXKing2012: I have been wondering why some churches always use the picture of the founding pastor of the church on all church posters and banners. Why do I have to go to Christ Embassy church or Winners Chapel and find the picture of Pastor Chris or Bishop Oyedepo on the banner? Is this wrong and is it idolatry? Why not replace those pictures with that of Jesus since we are not there to serve or worship the pastor.
Also, is it idolatry to turn your hair into curls simply because the pastor does the same?

Let us know your thoughtS.

P.S: This is not an invitation to bash any church or MOG.

U are a moslem.Stop bringing threads to black mail christianity and pastors.We want topics on imams and theit teachings of homicide,suicide ,honour killing and rape
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by achi4u(m): 12:16pm On Jul 10, 2012
Jesus na blackman and that little child Jesus na Africa boy.

while pastor Chris wan look American ninja in the name immitating Jesus...na wa o!
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by ohwofasa(m): 12:23pm On Jul 10, 2012
okeykennedy: U pple have started again..y not leave church tins,it is tins of d spirit..u can't use ur flawed human knowledge n logic 2 judge it..av noticed dis as some pples occupation..stop it!!ur attracting curses 2 ur selves..gon b d last time am gon say dis..
we dont have the real picture of jesus christ anywhere(i stand to be corrected).is it the picture we want or the message?it is the pot or the food we want?
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Jay5000(m): 12:29pm On Jul 10, 2012
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by ige101(m): 12:32pm On Jul 10, 2012
its self glorifying ,but not idolatry
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Jay5000(m): 12:41pm On Jul 10, 2012
Jay5000: Interesting read....

http://www.holy-catholic.org/arian/romanisation-of-catholicism.html#romanisation

Excerpts....

OF ALL THE HUMAN TRADITIONS taught and practiced by the Roman Catholic Church, which are contrary to the Bible, the most ancient are the prayers for the dead and the sign of the Cross. Both began 300 years after Christ.

Doctrine of the trinity was imposed by Emperor Constantine I at the Council of Nicaea. 325 A.D

Worship of the saints and angels 375 A.D.

Mass first adopted 394 A.D.

Worship of Mary began to develop 431 A.D.

Priests began to dress differently from laity 500 A.D.

The doctrine of purgatory first taught 593 A.D.

Boniface III gets title of "Universal Bishop" and thus became the first Pope 606 A.D.

Feasts in honor of Virgin Mary begin 650 A.D.

Worship of images and relics authorized 788 A.D.

Holy water introduced 850 A.D.

Worship of Saint Joseph began 890 A.D.

Canonization of saints 993 A.D.

Feasts of the dead instituted 1003 A.D.

Celibacy of priesthood decreed 1074 A.D.

Doctrine of infallibility of Roman Catholic Church 1076 A.D.

Prayer beads invented 1090 A.D.

Doctrine that seven sacraments are taught 1140 A.D.

Origin of Inquisition 1184 A.D.

Sale of indulgences 1190 A.D.

Wafer substituted for bread in Lord's Supper 1200 A.D.

Transubstantiation adopted 1215 A.D.

Confession instituted 1215 A.D.

Adoration of the wafer (Host) 1220 A.D.

Hand bell used during mass 1227 A.D.

Cardinals ordered to wear red hats 1245 A.D.

The scapular invented 1287 A.D.

Sprinkling for immersion decreed 1311 A.D.

The procession of the Holy Sacrament 1336 A.D.

Communion in one kind; cup taken from laity 1415 A.D.

Purgatory decreed 1439 A.D.

Roman tradition placed on same level as Scriptures 1546 A.D.

Apocryphal books received into sacred canon 1546 A.D.

Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary decreed 1854 A.D.

Doctrine of temporal power of Pope proclaimed 1864 A.D.

Infallibility of Pope decreed 1870 A.D.

Pius X's Encyclical on mixed marriages, condemning as null and void all marriages between two Catholic and non-Catholic if not celebrated by priest 1908 A.D.

The assumption of Mary i.e., she bodily ascended into Heaven without ever experiencing death 1950 A.D.

Downgrading of certain saints 1969 A.D.

1 Like

Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Blofeld(m): 1:02pm On Jul 10, 2012
Guitarlife: hey ma, I am thoroughly disappointed at your response.
I have seen you comment here severally and have also grown to revere you as not only knowkedgeable but spiritually matured but you disappoint me with this you just wrote.
The poster is asking an important question that touches on the hearty of christianity.
By the way, this 'do not touch my annointed ' slang is now rather boring. The splitting of the veil that separated the holy of holies at the death of JESUS signifies that we are all anointed.
So please stop quoting heretic analogies. You are as graced as any Bishop.
Pay careful attention to this passage of the bible in Galatians 2:12-13.
Paul clearly rebuked peter for his hypocrisy. Peter was the leader of the disciples and even had his name rubberstamped by jesus as the foundation for his church but paul, a man who just got converted and had no history whatsoever did rebuke with a bid to correct peter who walked with Jesus, had supper, prayed with him.
The reason is that we are all priests now so please stop spewing rubbish by saying MOG's should not be scrutinised infact, they are no better than the new convert. That is the dynamic's of the grace we enjoy in christ.
He has totally extinguished the levitical order therefore nobody should be subjucated to another under the guise of priest cos, we are all priest's now we are a royal priesthood a holy nation 1 peter 2:9.
And to the OP, the use of picture's on bill board's should be evaluated against john 3:30.
If Jesus must increase while we decrease then, how can we implement this when we keep flooding our street's with life size and giant size posters of mere heathen's?
Some poster's are twice or more as large as the people whoose picture they bear.
When Jesus performed a miracle he asked the recipient's not to announce it.
So many churche's today buying airtime only to advertise the 'miracle's' performed during a revival. When did miracle's become the gospel.
we are such a stubborn bunch we feel we can help God huh? No wonder thing's are even worse than they were in the 70's when more people were unsaved.
The great commision is to preach the good news which is Jesus died for your sin's and he is willing to save you if you give your life to him and then baptise in the name of the father son and holy spirit .
Some will even organise business seminar for christian entrepreneur's SMH.
In conclusion, the reason for displaying such pictures is the need to create a powerful brand which propel's the product being sold. Conversely, it is more of a business strategy leaving me to wonder how the church has suddenly become a public liabilty company whoose financial report is the main concern driving any action or inaction.
May God bless u my brother. I dare add that MOST of these Bible-carrying, self-styled and Malachi-quoting fraudsters are the anticirists of this generation. Cheers buddy!
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jul 10, 2012
musKeeto: Dont touch the Lords annointed... you have been warned..
Did you call the Pastor into the meanistry? Did he ask you for money to pay for the billboards?
Why cant you mind your business?

so MEN OF GOD should not have billboards? but businesses should have? Comedians should put their pictures on billboards too? Nonsense... just say you have a problem with Christianity...

this sttooopidd nairaland and their anti christian threads, God will judge all of u..
shebi na because Xtians no dey throw bomb?

i no blame all of una

I feel the power of God is moving on this forum that's why all the demons in the atheists, agnostics and the other yeye names are beginning to fight hard.. GOD SHALL SAVE NAIRALAND and indeed SEUN shall be won to the glory of the LORd... halleluia....

From billboard, you people will say that churches should not have website. THe gates of hell shall not prevail BEEEECCCCAUUUUSEEEEE THE CHURCH IS, AND WILL KEEP MARCHING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You want biblical proof?

Everywhere Jesus went, people followed him. When he talked to the woman who had married four husbands, she told people about him. THAT WAS ADVERT... if there were handbills and posters and billboards in those days, JESUS would have used themm.... MIND YOUR BUSINESSS..
Sarcasm Undiluted
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 10, 2012
deandavid: c'mon pple think with ur brain, wch color do u tink jesus was? He was from bethlehem in judea, people from there are white, therefore jesus must be WHITE. Stop fooling around, moreover even if there werent cameras 2000 yrs ago, there should be artist. D pictures of jesus u c 2day might nt be accurate abt jesus, bt should b close to wat jesus looked liked.since everybody then grew long beards, hair and all that. Its jst a description. Moreover as a catholic, i believe the cloth veronica used to wipe jesus's face imprinted his face on it, and i also believe jesus appeared to a saint that drew his face, and that picture is still in the catholic church till 2day. To the op's qtn, i dnt knw if it is idolatry, bt i ll prefer the pictures of jesus and saint to pictures of men of God.
where has it bin proven that jesus was white?dont u know what is variation in biology,and because he was born there,does that make him white?why is jehova witness' jesus different from the regular jesus babbie with a short black hair?if God created angel,why is the devil painted black,have u 4gotten,he was created a beautiful angel.all these are handiwork of the white pple.nobody has seen jesus..which artist drew him?they are all hearrsay.dont be a bootlicker to the white dominacy.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 10, 2012
moroh:
Sarcasm Undiluted
Lol...
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Sirniyeh(m): 2:09pm On Jul 10, 2012
I commend all of you who have replied to this post. The fact is, nobody can speak or talk beyond the level of his or her understanding. To explain all about Jesus, church, idolatry, poster and etc, it takes more than paper knowledge. Whether it is idolatry to put picture on banner or not, its understanding has to be traced back to the root. So lets ask ourselves, what is gospel? Gospel in its concise definition means information. A man who places his pix on banner is propagating information about himself. That is fact.
But the main issue we all have to be sensitive about is that, most Christians can not reason by themselves unless a pastor does that for them. They have idolised Nigeria pastors to be their God. So I'm not amazed seeing them propagating their picture. God has no favourite, what HE endowed those who call themselves title is same as what we all carry. If every Christian reasons/thinks the way and manner pastors do, no body will go to church bcs all eyes will open. That is the second fact. The Christianity of 2000 years ago is not thesame as of today. What brought the change is the renewing of the mind. Civilization means renewed mind, and that is what we have its revolution in Christianity. The technological revolution is human mind's task. If the world does not replenish, it will be a disgrace to God. But by the endowed mind, a lot of things originated, including technology, religion, witchcraft, etc. With all this God is extremely glad. So, it is foolishness for someone to accuse another who is making use of his reasoning(brain) to flourish. Instead of accussing the picture, engage your mind to create the environment you wish for yourself. What we call an idol is human imagination not a statue. Your imagination is the metabolism of your destiny.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by moilovie: 2:15pm On Jul 10, 2012
The kind of poluttion in this nairaland beats my imagination.The religion thread brings in more followers than anyother thread. If it is against some particular men of God then it makes the fron page. Well yall be busy bashing men of God while they go about praeching the gospel and winning souls to God. Mind you, each of us will account for the time spent here talking about men of God instead of preaching the Gospel. If the Gospel they preach is not suitable to your ears, then go read ur Bible and know more. Leave them to God to judge, it is not in your place to do that. A word is enough for the wise. Christians be wise , do not allow the enemy to deviate you from the road to the higher calling.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Sirniyeh(m): 2:28pm On Jul 10, 2012
Lots of people argue on originality of Jesus, infact, it is pathetic to hear and see such barbaric misinterpretation. There is nothing special about Jesus. I just pity those who play game of risk at the expense of their lives. Jesus made parable of ten virgin, five were wise and other foolish. That is the case of Christians going to church. The wise ones will go with their brain while the other left their brain at home. What makes difference is your mind! You can be in a church for 10yrs and your life remains thesame. That same church is where you see some flourishing. What is the koko? Wake up! Jesus generation has gone. We are in generation where technology is dominating. Engage your mind not on invisible matter as many xtians propagate, but on practical things. That is why all pastors are making it - building mansion, buying jets, even i know a bishop have 8 exclass JEEP in his compound and you are deceived to be store your treasure in heaven. Sidon there!.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 10, 2012
Justosaus: @OP: there are many pressing issues u can post about, if u're so idle that it's men & churches of God u've decided to start attacking (and/or invite attacks against). Like an earlier poster said, what brings an unbeliever to church is not necessarily what makes him stay. Banners are to advertise the church, not the pastor. There're so many different albeit confusing church names nowadays, e.g, Spirit & Life Bible Church, Spirit of Life Bible Church, Spirit Is Life Bilble Church etc. But if i were to see a banner with a distinct logo & photo (any photo, as long as it distinguishes d church from others), it would make locating a particular church or its branch a lot easier. People don't go into a church to worship the picture they see on the banner, they go in to worship the LORD JESUS, except u mean to tell me u've heard the name of Pastor Chris, or whichever pastor made u open this thread, being worshipped! I think we should spend more time trying to study God's word for ourselves instead of criticizing others over issues we don't know much about.
My thought's exactly. So pastors are now brand's to be marketted right?
Where did all this shallow thinking 'christians' evolve from. You need to attend a man's particular church even though he is not the presiding pastor befor you can fellowship right?
This underline's my earlier concern and learn's credence to the fact that pastor's have started to work more on their look's in order to attract customer's rather than worshippers.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Akinlawson: 2:35pm On Jul 10, 2012
What is your problem with all these pastors? Must you find a fault to talk about them everyday? Wait until they use your pix in their church because you are the founder. Nigerians with critics mind....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Camilla Mberekpe’s Confession: Is It African Magic Or Holy Spirit In Action? / Eagle Prophet delivers Ernest Opoku from fornication / Repent World! Jesus Is Coming Soon!! Second Rapture Dream In Barely 2 Months!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.