Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,411 members, 7,954,633 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:20 AM

Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry (2191 Views)

Dalai Lama Condemns Attacks On Muslims by Buddhist Monks / Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery / Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Delafruita(m): 7:54pm On Jul 11, 2012
In 628 AD, a delegation from St. Catherine’s
Monastery came to Prophet Muhammed and
requested his protection. He responded by
granting them a charter of rights, which I
reproduce below in its entirety. St. Catherine’s
Monastery is located at the foot of Mt. Sinai and is
the world’s oldest monastery. It possess a huge
collection of Christian manuscripts, second only to
the Vatican, and is a world heritage site. It also
boasts the oldest collection of Christian icons. It is
a treasure house of Christian history that has
remained safe for 1400 years under Muslim
protection.
The Promise to St. Catherine:
"This is a message from Muhammad ibn
Abdullah, as a covenant to those who
adopt Christianity, near and far, we are
with them.
Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my
followers defend them, because Christians
are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out
against anything that displeases them.
No compulsion is to be on them. Neither
are their judges to be removed from their
jobs nor their monks from their
monasteries. No one is to destroy a house
of their religion, to damage it, or to carry
anything from it to the Muslims' houses.
Should anyone take any of these, he would
spoil God's covenant and disobey His
Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have
my secure charter against all that they
hate.
No one is to force them to travel or to
oblige them to fight. The Muslims are to
fight for them. If a female Christian is
married to a Muslim, it is not to take place
without her approval. She is not to be
prevented from visiting her church to pray.
Their churches are to be respected. They
are neither to be prevented from repairing
them nor the sacredness of their
covenants.
No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey
the covenant till the Last Day (end of the
world)."
Boko Haram take note!
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by justaqad(m): 8:06pm On Jul 11, 2012
Delafruita: In 628 AD, a delegation from St. Catherine’s
Monastery came to Prophet Muhammed and
requested his protection. He responded by
granting them a charter of rights, which I
reproduce below in its entirety. St. Catherine’s
Monastery is located at the foot of Mt. Sinai and is
the world’s oldest monastery. It possess a huge
collection of Christian manuscripts, second only to
the Vatican, and is a world heritage site. It also
boasts the oldest collection of Christian icons. It is
a treasure house of Christian history that has
remained safe for 1400 years under Muslim
protection.
The Promise to St. Catherine:
"This is a message from Muhammad ibn
Abdullah, as a covenant to those who
adopt Christianity, near and far, we are
with them.
Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my
followers defend them, because Christians
are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out
against anything that displeases them.
No compulsion is to be on them. Neither
are their judges to be removed from their
jobs nor their monks from their
monasteries. No one is to destroy a house
of their religion, to damage it, or to carry
anything from it to the Muslims' houses.
Should anyone take any of these, he would
spoil God's covenant and disobey His
Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have
my secure charter against all that they
hate.
No one is to force them to travel or to
oblige them to fight. The Muslims are to
fight for them. If a female Christian is
married to a Muslim, it is not to take place
without her approval. She is not to be
prevented from visiting her church to pray.
Their churches are to be respected. They
are neither to be prevented from repairing
them nor the sacredness of their
covenants.
No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey
the covenant till the Last Day (end of the
world)."
Boko Haram take note!

i am a muslim but i deman sorce of this awe inspiring message.
Truly touching.
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Delafruita(m): 8:24pm On Jul 11, 2012
justaqad:

Truly touching.
http://www.cyberistan.org/islamic/charter1.html
http://www.islamic-study.org/saint_catherine_monastery.htm
http://www.ijtihad.org/Prophet%20Muhammed%27s%20Promise.htm
and many more
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by tidytim: 8:26pm On Jul 11, 2012
We do not want your ISLAM or your War Lord Prophet.

Away with these TWO.
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Delafruita(m): 8:29pm On Jul 11, 2012
tidytim: We do not want your ISLAM or your War Lord Prophet.

Away with these TWO.

a cure would soon be found for your ailment.dont despair

1 Like

Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by emofine2(f): 8:34pm On Jul 11, 2012
If this is genuine then it's rather incredible.
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by justaqad(m): 8:36pm On Jul 11, 2012
Delafruita:
a cure would soon be found for your ailment.dont despair

hehehehehehehehehehe.
Lmaout hahahahahahahah
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 11, 2012
justaqad:

Truly touching.
tho not one but this is real tot thinking. If that monastery still standing there, then it speaks volume. Hmm wont this be good on front page for all to read
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 11, 2012
It's Mohammed's hypocrisy and confused thinking that creates terrorists like Boko Haram. Saying one thing like the above and then turning round and commanding Muslims to fight non-Muslims for not being believers. The world would have been better without him. Imagine him spewing the following rubbish and them claiming it's from God:

Qur'an (9:29) - "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued."
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by proo212(m): 10:07pm On Jul 11, 2012
But Surah 9 was revealed after 628A.D. So what do we do with the excerpts below

Yusuf Ali’s Quran commentary, page 435, states that verses 1 – 29 were revealed during the 10th month (Shawwal), of the year A.H. 9 (630/631 A.D.).
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by movicy(m): 10:22pm On Jul 11, 2012
TroGunn: It's Mohammed's hypocrisy and confused thinking that creates terrorists like Boko Haram. Saying one thing like the above and then turning round and commanding Muslims to fight non-Muslims for not being believers. The world would have been better without him. Imagine him spewing the following rubbish and them claiming it's from God:

Qur'an (9:29) - "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued." 
did u knw wat d sura mean,fight does not means war in islam but confuting whoever disbelieve in Allah and d last day,we can fight d kufur(christian,atheist,budhaism e.t.c) with so many ways without assault/conflicts'ISLAM IS PEACEFUL ND REMEMBA BOKO HARAM R NT FIGHT 4 ISLAM ITS POLITICAL WAR
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Ibracadabra: 10:45pm On Jul 11, 2012
God bless you Delafruita.... This is immense!
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jul 11, 2012
movicy: did u knw wat d sura mean,fight does not means war in islam but confuting whoever disbelieve in Allah and d last day,we can fight d kufur(christian,atheist,budhaism e.t.c) with so many ways without assault/conflicts'ISLAM IS PEACEFUL ND REMEMBA BOKO HARAM R NT FIGHT 4 ISLAM ITS POLITICAL WAR

About the kind of fight referred to in the Koran and hadiths, and the myth of Islam being peaceful and tolerant, history - ancient and modern - clarifies. You know the truth.

Boko Haram has consistently made it's pro-sharia ideology over all Nigeria very clear. Only the deliberately blind think it's only political.
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Delafruita(m): 11:55pm On Jul 11, 2012
TroGunn:

About the kind of fight referred to in the Koran and hadiths, and the myth of Islam being peaceful and tolerant, history - ancient and modern - clarifies. You know the truth.

Boko Haram has consistently made it's pro-sharia ideology over all Nigeria very clear. Only the deliberately blind think it's only political.
in reality,the history of both islam and christianity include violent spread.however,the story of Islam reveals suprising aspects of hesistation to strike the final blow.this was evident in the battle at badr,uhud and in the eventual conquest of makkah where muhammad showed uncommon magnanimity to even his enemies.even in recent history,salahaddin chose to spare the crusaders and allowed the people of jerusalem continue their religion.contrast that with isabella expelling all muslims from portugal and seizing all their property which was used to fund columbus exploration.i dont hold brief for muslims,but my research does prove that islam is indeed a religion of peace though some of its adherrents are savages and give it a bad name.
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Delafruita(m): 11:57pm On Jul 11, 2012
Ibracadabra: God bless you Delafruita.... This is immense!
and you too
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by tbaba1234: 8:59am On Jul 12, 2012
The Holy Prophet Muhammad 's Letter to the Monks of St. Catherine in Mt. Sinai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0SsRmC6O5k

And Allah knows best!!
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by tidytim: 9:33am On Jul 12, 2012
No matter how white ISLAM tries to paint itself, it will always remain a black and dark murderous , intolerant and abusive religion.
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Delafruita(m): 9:36am On Jul 12, 2012
tidytim: No matter how white ISLAM tries to paint itself, it will always remain a black and dark murderous , intolerant and abusive religion.

every man to his belief
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by tidytim: 9:44am On Jul 12, 2012
Delafruita:
every man to his belief

Exactly, but we have to point out dangerous ideologies that are a significant threat to human life and property.
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Harzontorh: 9:58am On Jul 12, 2012
That is in a condition when muslims want to convert to anoda religion in an islamic state not ordinary muslim states.
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by amiskurie(m): 11:18am On Jul 12, 2012
tidytim: We do not want your ISLAM or your War Lord Prophet.

Away with these TWO.

Boko-haram as it is in islam'just extremist that lacks quranic knowledge.and YOU,as it is in christianity a mere wild-cat.
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Delafruita(m): 11:23am On Jul 12, 2012
tidytim:

Exactly, but we have to point out dangerous ideologies that are a significant threat to human life and property.
and how is the ideology espoused in the letter a "significant threat to human life and property"?according to all historical facts,muhammed kept his word to the monastery which still enjoys protection till this day.the fact that some crazies go on murderous rages in the name of allah doesnt take away away from the ideology espoused in that letter.
i guess you're one of those people who are ignorant of the numerous killings carried our by the early church in the name of "God"
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Nobody: 12:07am On Jul 13, 2012
Delafruita:
and how is the ideology espoused in the letter a "significant threat to human life and property"?according to all historical facts,muhammed kept his word to the monastery which still enjoys protection till this day.the fact that some crazies go on murderous rages in the name of allah doesnt take away away from the ideology espoused in that letter.
i guess you're one of those people who are ignorant of the numerous killings carried our by the early church in the name of "God"

The Monastery story is a historic relic that has no relevance in modern Islam. The face of modern Islam today is violence and intolerance - from Nigeria to Mali, Iraq, Pakistan, etc. Just listen to world news. A good chunk of Islam followers of the modern era are as backward as the misguided Christians of the Dark Ages relying on using violence/ intolerance to protect/propagate their faith - something the misguided Christians abandoned over 400 years ago. Islam is still stuck in the Dark Ages it seems. Even Saudi is intolerant of other religion today. And the comparison with the Vatican city state not allowing a mosque is rubbish. Nobody is saying allow other religions in Mecca or Medina- which is the more appropriate equivalent of the Vatican. To ban other religions in the whole Saudi country says it all about Islam today.
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Delafruita(m): 12:19am On Jul 13, 2012
TroGunn:

The Monastery story is a historic relic that has no relevance in modern Islam. The face of modern Islam today is violence and intolerance - from Nigeria to Mali, Iraq, Pakistan, etc. Just listen to world news. A good chunk of Islam followers of the modern era are as backward as the misguided Christians of the Dark Ages relying on using violence/ intolerance to protect/propagate their faith - something the misguided Christians abandoned over 400 years ago. Islam is still stuck in the Dark Ages it seems. Even Saudi is intolerant of other religion today. And the comparison with the Vatican city state not allowing a mosque is rubbish. Nobody is saying allow other religions in Mecca or Medina- which is the more appropriate equivalent of the Vatican. To ban other religions in the whole Saudi country says it all about Islam today.
i admit you have a point.however,most of the "terror" acts are in retaliation for events that occured many years ago.for example the invasion of afghanistan by the british,invasion of afghanistan by the russians,the palestinean situation,etc.i dont mean to absolve terrorists of their crimes,i just want you to realise its more political than religious.9/11 was more about trying to push america out of the middle east.take a critical look at the terror moves in modern times and you'd realise its more about politics but religion is used as a veil.same with boko haram
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 13, 2012
Delafruita:
i admit you have a point.however,most of the "terror" acts are in retaliation for events that occured many years ago.for example the invasion of afghanistan by the british,invasion of afghanistan by the russians,the palestinean situation,etc.i dont mean to absolve terrorists of their crimes,i just want you to realise its more political than religious.9/11 was more about trying to push america out of the middle east.take a critical look at the terror moves in modern times and you'd realise its more about politics but religion is used as a veil.same with boko haram

You just made my point. Always very sad when Muslims or muslim apologists actually try to justify terrorism. How can any sane human justify the 911 attacks for example? Or the bombing of churches on Sundays in Nigeria? What did christians do to muslims in Nigeria? Or what evil did America do to Arabs? The basis for islamic terrorism is nothing other than hatred for non-Muslims and western culture deemed to be corrupt. Not politics but religious intolerance. And how do you separate Islam from politics when they've always been together? Sharia is political and is supported by almost all Muslims. Now Bokos want sharia and u all say they are not Muslims. Confused people. Most if not all so called Christian nations have gone secular, but Islam drags it adherents back to mixing religion with politics. A relic of a religion which belongs in the Dark Ages.
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by shawl: 1:15pm On Oct 05, 2012
TroGunn: It's Mohammed's hypocrisy and confused thinking that creates terrorists like Boko Haram. Saying one thing like the above and then turning round and commanding Muslims to fight non-Muslims for not being believers. The world would have been better without him. Imagine him spewing the following rubbish and them claiming it's from God:

This verse doesn’t ask the Muslims to do mindless slaughter as the media portrays or deceives. It gives the Muslims the permission to fight only those non-Muslims who do not pay jizya – the state tax. And we all know that jizya is applicable only in an Islamic state. Neither India, nor US or Britain are Islamic states. So to put this verse as an excuse for what happened there only shows how biased, unknowledgable and unfair the media is and it hurts us deeply.

I can show whole verses from other scriptures that are truly inhuman, yet no one questions them. Do you want a sample? Ill give it to you at the end. I promise.

Read full article here and become enlightened: http://prophetrejectors./929-at-tauba-of-quran-doesnt-encourage-muslims-to-terrorism/
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by shawl: 2:42pm On Oct 05, 2012
proo212: But Surah 9 was revealed after 628A.D. So what do we do with the excerpts below

Yusuf Ali’s Quran commentary, page 435, states that verses 1 – 29 were revealed during the 10th month (Shawwal), of the year A.H. 9 (630/631 A.D.).

The verse 9:29 still does not invalidate the import of the letter. You should note that "(even if they are)" is a scholarly insertion in Yusuf Ali commentary and not a literal translation from the original text. For example, in another translation, it is given as:
Fight those who do not believe in Allah or in the Last Day and who do not consider unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful and who do not adopt the religion of truth from those who were given the Scripture - [fight] until they give the jizyah willingly while they are humbled. Sahih International.
And this gives a different understanding to what TroGunn is implying. May Allah guide him. This is the advantage we have in Islam in that we have the original source as revealed to our prophet, saw. So understand.
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by shala: 3:29pm On Oct 05, 2012
@shawl.So the qur'an have several version and translations by different authors?
Re: Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry by shawl: 7:19am On Oct 21, 2012
shala: @shawl.So the qur'an have several version and translations by different authors?

Smart but not an accurate conclusion sir. The holy Qur'an was revealed to the prophet(saw) in arabic. So he (saw) dictated each message to his companions(rad) as was being revealed, had them memorize it, written down, and recited under his tutelage. That arabic version is ONE, not several. However, because the message of the Qur'an have pearls that are buried in the depth of the ocean of wisdom contained in it, attested to by the Qur'an as being a book for those of deep reflections as well, scholars who have attempted to translate the holy book could only have done so to the level of how deep they can dig in order to effectively communicate these in their translations (not an easy task at all). For example, you will find in the Qur'an words that were new to the arabs themselves, geographies of places they never heard of beforehand, stories of past prophets (as) with special anecdotes, explanations of the internals of human systems hitherto enmeshed in superstitions, astronomy and climatic conditions, and of course predictions for future occurrences, just to name a few. So the translations differed based on the level of the understanding of the authors of these very diverse topics in the Qur'an. The good thing however, is that you can clearly spot the scholarly insertion of an author, which he may add to emphasize his own understanding of a given verse and we have the original source to use in determining whether or not this is the true context of the message. This is how the versions of the translations came to be.

Back to the issue, the non-muslims are quick to refer to that version of the translation, but traditional and earlier sources point to the contrary. May Allah help us to understand. Thank you sir.

(1) (Reply)

Does The Quran Preaches Hatred And Violence Towards 'unbelievers'?(xtians&co) / I Wish I Had Met You / Explanations Wanted!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.