Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,764 members, 7,820,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? (26781 Views)

Eating With People I Don't Know? Awkward? / What Food Do You Never Get Tired Of Eating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Osrachingy(m): 10:20pm On Aug 03, 2012
Wetin mak me i con do to da one ooooo....dis pple sef...why d heck does dis av to mak d frontpage! Shay mak we con go pack d food for deir table nii
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Ivynwa(f): 10:30pm On Aug 03, 2012
Missy_B:
The title of your thread was not changed by me, but by either the admin or Mukina, I'm too lazy to check.
If your thread is or was modified, it is for the benefit of errr. . . whoever it may concern.
And yes, your thread (title) can be modified or made to appear on the HP regardless of how you feel about it.

To clear the air : The OP didn't pose the question, I did . . .I included it to give you all something to agree and disagree on. smiley Even though I'm getting the desired result, I'll like to remind y'all that it's necessary to keep the comments civil. wink

You yourself commented in the above post that you posed the question "Gross or what?" in the thread. If you are not the one that changed the topic to something else with a different meaning, do you moderators have the right to get into another person's post and type in additional words that the poster did not say. The phrase "Gross or what?" may be a three letterred word but it painted the poster in another picture, misrepresented the poster and gave the thread another s-tupid meaning. I can't get up and ask people that in the internet. You guys should be careful when you go about changing topics in the homepage, if you want to summarize a thread summarize it in good faith and not turn around the topic and even type in things into what a poster said and give the world a different message and make it seem like a poster actually said that when the person did not. What high handedness is that?

I have already sent a mail to you moderators for someone to change back that homepage meaning and has also mailed Mukina to correct that anomaly. Whoever it is that changed up the topic of the thread did wrong here, You are also very very wrong for typing "Gross or what" into my post saying that you want to give people something to agree on. What the fr*ak was all that?
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by fm7070: 10:39pm On Aug 03, 2012
what's the big deal here, using hand to eat
she no dey shit? no be hand she dey take wash her bom bom?
abegiiiiii
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Ivynwa(f): 10:48pm On Aug 03, 2012
Missy_B:

Why cry over nothing?
You should not let the not-so-cool comments of some posters get to you, I cleared the air for that purpose.

I didn't touch a word of your post - Not in the title, not in the body.
I only included a question to give posters something to argue about . . . If I hadn't, I doubt they would have had something to discuss.
However, if you're offended, I apologize.

You typed in something into my post and you are still exonerating yourself that you did not include anything into my post and went on to ask me "why cry over nothing" and that I should not let the comments of others get to me. You are missing the point here dear. I am not crying neither am I bothered about the s-tupid response that all those changes (you and another moderator made to my thread) brought about.
I am only making you understand that what you did is never done. You don't write up what you think into another person's post and make it seem like the person said that. You misrepresented me as a poster as that phrase "Gross or what?" is not my word but yours. I can never ask people that. You don't realize the gravity of what you did and I am making you see that you acted wrongly here, a moderator does not write up additional things into a thread and that is what you did that I am speaking against. Don't get it twisted.

The opinion of people that I am trying to look at over my topic "Where should we draw the borderline of eating with fingers" is from the health angle of many individuals dipping hands in one plate of soup and not about "Yvonne Nelson eating with her fingers" as somebody changed the topic into or "whether it is gross or not that Yvonne Nelson is eating with her fingers" as the phrase you added to my post made it seem. I am sure that you understand my point now.

Privilege o-o, modification-o or not----somebody needs to drive a point home to you guys that a poster should not be made to have said "Z" when what the poster said is "Y". If you want to get on being abusive in referring to me as a "whining" poster, I have no plans of trading insulting words with you. My point has been driven home and that is what matters to me. I take my leave off the fr*aking thread for you guys, you have changed it up according to your whims and as it is giving you your "desired results" you can go ahead and enjoy your thread. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by MissyB3(f): 11:02pm On Aug 03, 2012
I have ignored every other whining poster and accorded you respect - as the original poster - by offering explanations and an apology, but I'm afraid this will be my last reply to any further complaint on this issue. smiley

I launched a thread today whose title and body was modified by the admin. . . that is to say nothing abnormal or unusual has happened to you or your thread on Nairaland.
If it weren't necessary that I modify threads, I wouldn't have been granted that privilege. And as much as I can recall, I have not, in any way, abused that privilege.
If you still feel hurt, refer to the last line of my penultimate post on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by IYANGBALI: 11:08pm On Aug 03, 2012
and what the fok is the big deal about them using their fingers to eat are they not human beings like us?I wonder how some people dey reason about dis so called celebrities.
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by fifi007: 11:18pm On Aug 03, 2012
[quote author=meyri]As long as fufu is being eating let hands be used whether in the public or in the private of our home.[/quote

Chinese use their chopsticks wherever, whenever, I for one will never b caught eating fufu with anything other than my fingers. Rather not eat it than form prince charles. Use a fork for pasta, use chopsticks for noodles but please don't take away d joy of our moulding eba.
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by duni04(m): 6:17am On Aug 04, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

I see nothing wrong in what they are doing. They are eating in the comfort of their home and not in public. I also see that they are eating fufu with soup. We grew up eating any fufu type of food (eba, pounded yam, amala, tuwo shinkafa, starch, cornmeal, etc) with the hands/fingers. I never learnt to eat any type of fufu with Cutlery growing up as a child. So, I am not going to start that now because I won't even enjoy the food.

At the rate with which we Africans are throwing away our culture and completely adapting that of the west, in another 20 years from now, we will have no African culture at all and will be like black people in the diaspora who descended from slavery. It's really sad. The irony of it all is that, those of us (Africans) staying abroad are trying so hard to retain several parts of our culture whilst Africans back home living on the continent are doing everything possible to throw it all away. Sigh!
Arrant nonsense! There is nothing cultural about eating with your hands, its backward. All civilizations worldwide started out eating with their hands until they discovered that it was unhygenic. That's why the Asians started out with the chopsticks and the Europeans, the spoon and cutlery set. Eating with your hands aids the spread of germs and diseases. is it that disease is now a culture in Africa? Why won't Africans join the rest of the world in adapting values and traditions that prevent and not aid the spread of diseases. Disease is not our culture!
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Candybob(m): 8:46am On Aug 04, 2012
Ok the rule of thumb is eat african food the african way, european food the european way, asian food the asian way! @op, wetin we go take chop eba b4, na chopstick?
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by redsun(m): 9:47am On Aug 04, 2012
When prople are eating in group directly from the same bowls,cutleries are highly advisable,because people's standard of hand wash is different and germs can easily spread than way through the process of cross contermination.

It seem a little primitove and unhygenic,even chop stick will do in situation like that.
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by MissyB3(f): 9:51am On Aug 04, 2012
redsun: When prople are eating in group directly from the same bowls,cutleries are highly advisable,because people's standard of hand wash is different and germs can easily spread than way through the process of cross contermination.

It seem a little primitove and unhygenic,even chop stick will do in situation like that.
Gbam! cheesy
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by IYANGBALI: 11:18am On Aug 04, 2012
duni04:
Arrant nonsense! There is nothing cultural about eating with your hands, its backward. All civilizations worldwide started out eating with their hands until they discovered that it was unhygenic. That's why the Asians started out with the chopsticks and the Europeans, the spoon and cutlery set. Eating with your hands aids the spread of germs and diseases. is it that disease is now a culture in Africa? Why won't Africans join the rest of the world in adapting values and traditions that prevent and not aid the spread of diseases. Disease is not our culture!
Abeg make we hear word jo, na cutlery you dey take dey chop bread?germs my foot.I GO USE MY HAND CHOP APU,EBA, AMALA AND SEMO TILL I DIE. GERMS KO GERMANY NI. Arrant nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by cindyrella(f): 1:45pm On Aug 04, 2012
IYA NGBALI: I GO USE MY HAND CHOP APU,EBA, AMALA AND SEMO TILL I DIE. GERMS KO GERMANY NI. Arrant nonsense.
#Gbam Correct! Your head is there jare!
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Princessaleeza: 1:48pm On Aug 04, 2012
ifihearam:

Must you people always expose how local you are??shuooooo
so if u eat wit ur hand means u re local abi. I dont no y pple live a fake life.

1 Like

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by ekitikan(m): 4:56pm On Aug 04, 2012
chyket: I think it's very artificial to eat our local African dishes with cutleries because the originators of the food never planned it that way.
Personally anywhere I am served with any swallow food,I usually eat it with my hands. I have noticed a trend though that most people prefer eating those dishes with their hands but they are so scared of what people will say,so as soon as I start using my hands,very many other people join me.

is there a food that is not swallowed? olodo rabata

1 Like

Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Wizpa(m): 6:22pm On Aug 04, 2012
ifihearam:

you are so stupid to think we act local, anybody has the right to say what he or she has to say, he said the right thing. You can go and become an american citizen if you want to, am proud to be a nigerian. Mtchew
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Wizpa(m): 6:55pm On Aug 04, 2012
duni04:
you are the greatest idi.ot I have ever seen in my life, our forefathers ate with hands and they lived longer than us, so please if you don't have any reasonable thing to say, you can go kiss my as.s
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Agiliti(m): 7:04pm On Aug 04, 2012
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by chyket(m): 8:28pm On Apr 01, 2015
ekitikan:

is there a food that is not swallowed? olodo rabata
I guess you got my point.you are either being mischievous or you are trying to prove an unnecessary point.we all know which food we refer to as swallow
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Menace2Society(m): 10:44pm On Apr 01, 2015
ifihearam:

U dey craze ni?Oponu!
Re: Where should we draw the borderline of eating with Fingers? by Akios63(m): 10:19pm On Dec 08, 2019
What is this one saying

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Delicious Unripe Plantain Peppersoup With Goat Meat Recipe (pics & Video) / How To Prepare Edikaikong Soup With Saliva Inducing Pictures 4rm A Nairalander / See The Sweet Crunchy Popcorn I Made In 5 Minutes With 3 Ingredients (Pic,Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.