Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,083 members, 7,825,412 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! (14221 Views)

Poll: Whose side are you on?

Yoruba: 40% (47 votes)
Engish: 59% (70 votes)
This poll has ended

Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. / I Regret Not Having A Yoruba As Speaker. Jonathan / S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by yemmight(m): 4:05pm On Dec 05, 2007
I think for those people who argue that Lagos does not belong to Yoruba got it wrong.  Lagos state was a Yoruba and still, but the move to do activities in Yoruba Language is rather unfortunate.   Even with the present government we have other tribe that this same assembly members ratified their employment to serve Fashola.  If such Commissioners are invited to the house one day to appear, are they going to adopt Yoruba language?
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by willy4: 4:09pm On Dec 05, 2007
I dey happy Nigeria don dey disintegrate gradually,
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by romeo(m): 4:23pm On Dec 05, 2007
coolchick:

@EloSela,
you sound igbo. you need to read up on political science especially federalism, especially in cases where there federalism is practised in a country with diverse ethnic groups, let it sink in well and then think in clear terms before making ignorant comments. even the nigerian constitution allows states to choose the language in which they would like to be communicating in. this doesn not mean that it will not be translated into english for others to hear or that they will take yoruba to be the lingual franca for the national assembly, a state's national assembly consists of people who are representing the people of the state. in a federal system, states are allowed to pass their own laws. lagos belongs to the yorubas, it doesnt matter whether it used to be the federal capital territory; it no longer is hence, its just a state now and people are free to move into the new fct or their villages if they feel that they can't live with the state laws.

if other states including yours decide they want to start speaking in whatever language they deem fit, that is between them and the people they represent, and in this case, the people of lagos state. like is said earlier, nigeria's artificiality in oneness is our major problem, other tribes pretend to be lagosians when the true lagosians want to start speaking in their language, when its time for voting or censes, they run back to their villages! at such periods, you will even see buses specially transporting people for this purpose. how can you then come back after census and elections and say you are a part of the state?

remember that sharia law was adopted in the northern states irregardless of whether christains or other worshipers live there, if they don't like the laws, they can leave. the same thing is happening with lagos, if you don't like my language, you can pack you load and go.

Lagos is a Yoruba state and i don't care if they deliberate in Yoruba language or Hausa!! but your constant remarks about people that are the pillars of Lagos packing their loads and going smells of ignorance. Give the other parts what the federal govt. has given Lagos and tell me if anybody would still like to be in Lagos, functioning sea port, functioning international airpot, and to bring you up to date! the people using those instalations are 80% non-Yorubas and yet you think you can do without them? pleaseeeeee some people should argue with the brain sometimes
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by BekinableG(m): 4:24pm On Dec 05, 2007
'the oil is their own if they want they should fry toad frog with it'
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by jerrymania(m): 4:38pm On Dec 05, 2007
Now babasin show me the birth certificate of Lagos. show me the "Yoruba" man that gave it the name Lagos. We are talking about post colonial Nigeria in reality, a republic with a constitution, so we suppose act with common sense. Lagos is not a Yoruba State or Land or whatsoever. Ever since Nigeria came into being , tribes particularly Ibos and South South have developed Lagos, so you cant tell me that the food you eat came from one "Yoruba" farmer that tilled "the Yoruba Land" alone. It is wrong to make yoruba the official language of the house of assembly in Lagos as it is to make Bini the official language of the house of assembly in Edo state. F"ck these tribalistic sentiments ,when we r supposed to accredit all efforts equally among ourselves, now tell me its the Yoruba's that have sustained Lagos up till today, swear and tell me.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by ifyalways(f): 4:39pm On Dec 05, 2007
what  shocked shocked shocked another tribal rivalry  shocked shocked shocked shocked oh noooooooooooooooooo   cry cry
shakes head and zooms off
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by EloSela(f): 4:49pm On Dec 05, 2007
coolchick:

@EloSela,
you sound igbo. you need to read up on political science especially federalism, especially in cases where there federalism is practised in a country with diverse ethnic groups, let it sink in well and then think in clear terms before making ignorant comments. even the nigerian constitution allows states to choose the language in which they would like to be communicating in. this doesn not mean that it will not be translated into english for others to hear or that they will take yoruba to be the lingual franca for the national assembly, a state's national assembly consists of people who are representing the people of the state. in a federal system, states are allowed to pass their own laws. lagos belongs to the yorubas, it doesnt matter whether it used to be the federal capital territory; it no longer is hence, its just a state now and people are free to move into the new fct or their villages if they feel that they can't live with the state laws.

if other states including yours decide they want to start speaking in whatever language they deem fit, that is between them and the people they represent, and in this case, the people of lagos state. like is said earlier, nigeria's artificiality in oneness is our major problem, other tribes pretend to be lagosians when the true lagosians want to start speaking in their language, when its time for voting or censes, they run back to their villages! at such periods, you will even see buses specially transporting people for this purpose. how can you then come back after census and elections and say you are a part of the state?

remember that sharia law was adopted in the northern states irregardless of whether christains or other worshipers live there, if they don't like the laws, they can leave. the same thing is happening with lagos, if you don't like my language, you can pack you load and go.

No m’dear I am not Igbo. By the way you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder about Igbos.

Thanks for taking time out to explain the infinities of the political make-up of Nigeria to me. Not that I didn’t know but thanks anyway.

I would like to add that the only reason why you deem my statement ignorant is because you don’t like the fact that a non-Yoruba person like me can echo the same kind of statements like you have about how much Lagos is your land about my own part of Nigeria.

All you have said about Lagos can also be applied to many of the oil producing regions of Nigeria where many Yorubas are milking the land in abundance for their own benefit. I am not saying that they don’t have the right because they are after all Nigerians and I am all for one Nigeria. But if such an exclusive law is going to be passed in a state that is as diverse as Lagos then I am all for similar laws to be passed in other parts of Nigeria especially in the oil money making parts of the country
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by babasin(m): 4:51pm On Dec 05, 2007
Now babasin show me the birth certificate of Lagos. show me the "Yoruba" man that gave it the name Lagos. We are talking about post colonial Nigeria in reality, a republic with a constitution, so we suppose act with common sense. Lagos is not a Yoruba State or Land or whatsoever. Ever since Nigeria came into being , tribes particularly Ibos and South South have developed Lagos, so you can't tell me that the food you eat came from one "Yoruba" farmer that tilled "the Yoruba Land" alone. It is wrong to make yoruba the official language of the house of assembly in Lagos as it is to make Bini the official language of the house of assembly in Edo state. F"ck these tribalistic sentiments ,when we r supposed to accredit all efforts equally among ourselves, now tell me its the Yoruba's that have sustained Lagos up till today, swear and tell me.

No point discussing further with you. Go back and read your history!
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by babasin(m): 4:53pm On Dec 05, 2007
But if such an exclusive law is going to be passed in a state that is as diverse as Lagos then I am all for similar laws to be passed in other parts of Nigeria especially in the oil money making parts of the country

save your ranting.

any state in nigeria can pass whatever in their capacity so long there is enough people in the house to pass it.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by EloSela(f): 4:55pm On Dec 05, 2007
romeo:

Lagos is a Yoruba state and i don't care if they deliberate in Yoruba language or Hausa!! but your constant remarks about people that are the pillars of Lagos packing their loads and going smells of ignorance. Give the other parts what the federal govt. has given Lagos and tell me if anybody would still like to be in Lagos, functioning sea port, functioning international airpot, and to bring you up to date! the people using those instalations are 80% non-Yorubas and yet you think you can do without them? pleaseeeeee some people should argue with the brain sometimes

abi O!
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by Dapo4u(m): 4:55pm On Dec 05, 2007
@Jerrymania
In as much as I agree with your assertion, i think you got it wrong by saying Lagos is not a Yoruba state.I think the problem here is not about Lagos House of Reps  adopting Yoruba as a  medium of deliberation, but our hatred for other tribes which is deep rooted in our develpmental milestones.If Lagos Reps think that is a genuine way to bring governance to the people let it be in as much it doesnt affect Lagosians be it Ibos,Hausas,Edos etc. going about their normal businesses.
South Africa has eleven official languages, you are free to express yourself in any one that suits you, nobody complains, Thabo Mbeki(SA president) speaks his mother tongue language(Xhosa) on a national forum, nobody gives a hue.I think it is high time we started respecting others ways of life.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by question(m): 4:56pm On Dec 05, 2007
Who cares? tongue
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by jerrymania(m): 5:00pm On Dec 05, 2007
babasin:

No point discussing further with you. Go back and read your history!

I have read all your post and u havent sounded historical a bit and u want me to read my history books? God damnit i aint a historian but i know history plainly. i dnt have to qoute years, use ur common sense and conscience to think. u are just too tribalistic, "Yoruba" men like you are getting the big chunk in managerial positions in oil companies particularly The one at Eket lipsrsealed. why? because they have ur like mind. all u can say is "members will pass the law" and "go read ur history books), someone like u would say Yoruba's have contributed more quota to Nigeria apart from any other tribe.
Show us how good u are in history and tell us how Lagos is a Yoruba State.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by EloSela(f): 5:06pm On Dec 05, 2007
babasin:

save your ranting.

any state in nigeria can pass whatever in their capacity so long there is enough people in the house to pass it.

I tink say you don talk your own finish sef
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by babasin(m): 5:09pm On Dec 05, 2007
I have read all your post and u havent sounded historical a bit and u want me to read my history books? God damnit i aint a historian but i know history plainly. i dnt have to qoute years, use your common sense and conscience to think. u are just too tribalistic, "Yoruba" men like you are getting the big chunk in managerial positions in oil companies particularly The one at Eket . why? because they have your like mind. all u can say is "members will pass the law" and "go read your history books), someone like u would say Yoruba's have contributed more quota to Nigeria apart from any other tribe.
Show us how good u are in history and tell us how Lagos is a Yoruba State.

No comment!
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by cybersleek(m): 5:09pm On Dec 05, 2007
Just so that you all may know before blood starts flowing, historically, lagos is neither wholly yoruba nor is it igbo, but i would submit to the school of thought that though it is peopled by majority yoruba speakers. Lagos due to its geographical location is subject, to a great extent to the influence of the yoruba language which is the dominant nationality of south western nigeria. If you are to research the history of lagos and its demographics, you will find out that most indigenous lagosians are either of the awori stock, or are egun, not minding the millions of us who are ethnic yoruba's who were born in lagos. Lagos came to be associated with the yoruba nation because it was a vassal state of the old oyo empire, hence, the yoruba language, likewise Dahomey, or what we now know as cotonou, that is why though many lagosians will tell you that it is a yoruba state, but when asked where their state of origin is? will tell you ijebu, egba, ibadan or ekiti. However, personally, i feel the issue of yoruba being the official language in LSHA is irrelevant as if you are a true lagosian whether hausa or igbo, you will have too much of lagos in you to be intimidated by yoruba language or not. That is why i will appeal to everybody on the forum to sheath their swords and lets all remember that we are all one nigeria, indivisible. And to the man who said that the only thing lagos has to offer is the airport, i wonder what state you are from and where you presently reside? because the yoruba man says that only an illegitimate child points to his fathers' house with his left hand, if you have nothing nice to say about lagos, pls, dont say anything as you might insult the sensibilities of those of us who grew up in lagos!
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by Dapo4u(m): 5:13pm On Dec 05, 2007
@Jerrymania
What is the fuss about Lagos and Yoruba state?.How does it affect you going about your normal duty as a resident if you are one?. grin
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by arambada(m): 5:29pm On Dec 05, 2007
It is for the good of all. However, non-Yoruba members of the house, or those who cannot speak Yoruba fluently enough should not be disallowed from speaking in English language. I just want to add this as a response to babasin, who posted that Lagos was under Oyo empire of the old - this may not be true, as the control of Oyo Empire then was not on any what it is today, Aworiland. Thanks.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by EloSela(f): 5:32pm On Dec 05, 2007
cybersleek:

Just so that you all may know before blood starts flowing, historically, lagos is neither wholly yoruba nor is it igbo, but i would submit to the school of thought that though it is peopled by majority yoruba speakers. Lagos due to its geographical location is subject, to a great extent to the influence of the yoruba language which is the dominant nationality of south western nigeria. If you are to research the history of lagos and its demographics, you will find out that most indigenous lagosians are either of the awori stock, or are egun, not minding the millions of us who are ethnic yoruba's who were born in lagos. Lagos came to be associated with the yoruba nation because it was a vassal state of the old oyo empire, hence, the yoruba language, likewise Dahomey, or what we now know as cotonou, that is why though many lagosians will tell you that it is a yoruba state, but when asked where their state of origin is? will tell you ijebu, egba, ibadan or ekiti. However, personally, i feel the issue of yoruba being the official language in LSHA is irrelevant as if you are a true lagosian whether hausa or igbo, you will have too much of lagos in you to be intimidated by yoruba language or not. That is why i will appeal to everybody on the forum to sheath their swords and lets all remember that we are all one nigeria, indivisible. And to the man who said that the only thing lagos has to offer is the airport, i wonder what state you are from and where you presently reside? because the yoruba man says that only an illegitimate child points to his fathers' house with his left hand, if you have nothing nice to say about lagos, please, don't say anything as you might insult the sensibilities of those of us who grew up in lagos!

I said this and I stand by it. The place is a cesspit. Everybody needs tp relocate elsewhere and the the whole city needs to be bulldozed to the ground! End of! Sorry if you don’t like the truth but that is what it is.

I am not from lagos but my family owns properties there.

And by the way I am a girl.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by xkape(m): 5:40pm On Dec 05, 2007
Yoruba in Assembly.

Thats just completely ridiculous. This is why we should improson everybody that has been involved in politics in Nigeria for the past 40 years.

Totally brainless people. How many of them can even speak and write Yoruba properly?

The rst of the world is moving toward Engish as a universal language, not because of any political push, but because of the natural evolution of the Internet as the universal means of communication. We that are lucky enough to have english as our second Language want to retrogress by adopting a minority language.

Why wont people accept that change is inevitable and culture is dynamic? Speaking english is as much a part of modern Nigerian "culture" as anything. Why dont they just tell the police to stop wearing "oyinbo" uniforms and start wearing traditional hunters dress with juju attached to it. Why dont they just outlaw the wearing of suits and jeans and shirts and make everybody wear agbada and danshiki.

The Imbecility of some Nigerians is just outstanding

And people like Ono, must you bring your Niger-delta sentiments into every discussion. You are just as guilty of the same xenophobia and discrimination that you blame everybody else for.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by arambada(m): 5:45pm On Dec 05, 2007
i can now see that some of you are fighting on the Lagos language issue. You better stop that, and do something better. Lagos isa Yoruba land, no doubt about that. But the city is now home to anybody who cares to care for others.The world itself, is now aglobal village.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by auwal(m): 5:49pm On Dec 05, 2007
I know Some House of assemblies in the North that use Hausa as official Language
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by equlibrium(m): 5:58pm On Dec 05, 2007
Dis is 4 willy*2; U r a big fool, if u hav issues wit yorubas, com to Zenith heights, climb to the top and jump off, beta stil, jump in2 the lagoon! Wnt want u messin ma str up. Its nt our fault Yorubas are beta dan u wer evr the hell u r frm dimwit angry angry angry angry
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by EloSela(f): 5:58pm On Dec 05, 2007
On a lighter note I must say that as a non-Yoruba person i admire their culture and language and I can say with pride that I am happy to share the same country with them just as I am with the Igbos, Itsekiris and other ethnic groups in Nigeria. Even though I may not personally like Lagos which I do see as a Yoruba land.

However what irks me the most is when I come across some Yoruba people and they tell me that 'They are the main  Nigerians. Some behave like they are the only ones who matter in Nigeria and it is annoying especially when the Nigeria that they claim to be the main part is wholey funded by oil in the Delta.

It is also annoying that because some Yorubas may see themselves as a majority they would like to force feed their culture and language down the the throats of everyone else but will not even blink care much about another persons culture and language.

It brings to mind one time when i was watching a political program on the BBC and a councillor for Lambeth. South London, Lola Ayorinde was on there/ This woman was blatantly saying that because Nigerians made up the majority of black people in London all funding for Black related projects should be given to charities and organisations headed by Nigerians for Nigerians and not the Caribbeans. I was so embarassed for her. You can just imagine someone like that getting their own way and then the next thing she would be talking about all funding going to Yoruba only projects because they were the majority in the UK.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by akara(m): 6:13pm On Dec 05, 2007
They might as well pass a law that Yoruba be the only language spoken in the state.
While at it, the school set books be all translated to Yoruba. abi

cool
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by Nobody: 6:24pm On Dec 05, 2007
why do Nigerians like controversy?
How will speaking Yoruba in a state house of assembly affect the bottom line.
will it feed the hungry or treat the sick?
Have our people become so stupid that deliberating in Yoruba is the lattest nouvelle idea our able legislators can bring to the diseased table.
TUFIAKWA
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by babasin(m): 6:28pm On Dec 05, 2007
They might as well pass a law that Yoruba be the only language spoken in the state.  
While at it, the school set books be all translated to Yoruba. abi

if its within their capacity and enough people to pass it into LAW. so be it.

The rst of the world is moving toward Engish as a universal language, not because of any political push, but because of the natural evolution of the Internet as the universal means of communication.

there you go. see different languages on your computer.

Have our people become so stupid that deliberating in Yoruba is the lattest nouvelle idea our able legislators can bring to the diseased table.
go back and do studies on it. people using their mother language develops better than those existing on borrowed languages.

Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by Nobody: 7:18pm On Dec 05, 2007
These rogue  legislators should be careful the precedents they set.

When and if they manage to pass this stupid moronic idea to law

---will they also require that all state contestants speak Yoruba?
---Must they all write Yoruba also
---will they now descriminate amongst the different Yoruba  dialects
----will the minutes of their meetings now be written in Yoruba as they reference the law written in English?
-----Will Lagos now be officially declared a Yoruba state and others who were born and have lived there become outsiders if non Yoruba
-----Will this foster unity
--------Will it make other states follow suit and polarize us the more
---------Can the northerners now declare Arabic their language since sharia and arabic go hand in hand
----------Can the Federal Goovernment now declare Arabic the official language afterall they have smuggled us into OIC.

Lagos state is unique,it is an important state in Nigeria and has people from all over the nation residing there
These legislators I suppose are required to represent the interest of all the inhabitants of this state
will they now descriminate on the employees of Lagos state government who are non Yoruba speakers?
Moreover what extra benefit is there with speaking Yoruba in the house?
Is this to accomodate the unschooled amongst the legislators who are struggling to decide if it should be "We is hungry" or "we are hungry" ?

will it provide jobs for our suffering youth?
or decrease the size of the area boys,the homeless under the bridge and  beggars on the streets
will it provide mama Gbenga the ogi and akara for her starving kids

Those cats ought to be careful starting what they cannot control.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by BabsO2(m): 7:50pm On Dec 05, 2007
Why all this bitterness about Yoruba being spoken in the Lagos Assembly?
Is one not free to speak the Language that he feels free with at home with spouse, kids and friends?

Lagos welcomes every person and will still welcome all those that choose it !

If speaking Yoruba will help bring sanity to the way things are done, what do we stand to loose?

Lagos is home to a lot of manufacturing and continues to be a preferred location for new businesses because it welcomes all. It even welcomed returned slaves in the past without discrimination and they are fully integrated into the society !

Lagos welcomes every person and will still welcome all those that choose it. There is no cause for alarm if Yoruba is used in the Lagos Assembly.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by Nobody: 7:52pm On Dec 05, 2007
babasin:

if its within their capacity and enough people to pass it into LAW. so be it.

there you go. see different languages on your computer.
go back and do studies on it. people using their mother language develops better than those existing on borrowed languages.

I've heard your argument but please move away from the highlands of Cameroon to somewhere else and perhaps learn a little.
Yes South and central Americans speak Spanish but do you know they were colonised by the Spaniards hence their official language?
Do you know that many areas in these countries still speak some native languages that are neither Spanish nor similar to it in any way
But their official languages remain spanish.

For instance see these l;anguages and the number that speak them

Quechua 8.5 million Peru, Brazil, Bolivia, Argentina, Ecuador, Colombia

Guarani  4.8 million Paraguay

Aymara  2.2 million Bolivia

Wayuu  305,000 Colombia, Venezuela

Kuna  58,500 Panama, Colombia

Embera  50,000 Panama, Colombia

Shuar  46,700 Ecuador

Asháninka  Arawakan  23,000 to 28,500 Peru

Ticuna  25,000 Brazil

Yet the official language in South and central America remains spanish with the exception of Brazil that speaks Portuguese

Yoruba in the house does us no good.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by Nobody: 8:01pm On Dec 05, 2007
Babs_O:

Why all this bitterness about Yoruba being spoken in the Lagos Assembly?
Is one not free to speak the Language that he feels free with at home with his spouse, kids and friends?

Lagos welcomes every person and will still welcome all those that choose it !

If speaking Yoruba will help bring sanity to the way things are done, what do we stand to loose?

Lagos is home to a lot of manufacturing and continues to be a preferred location for new businesses because it welcomes all. It even welcomed returned slaves in the past without discrimination and they are fully integrated into the society !

Lagos welcomes every person and will still welcome all those that choose it. There is no cause for alarm if Yoruba is used in the Lagos Assembly.

bitterness ke?
like I care so much if they defaecate on the house of assembly table. grin
are they feeding me.?
don't live in Lagos
don't have plans to move there
don't even live in Nigeria kpa kpa so it's not as though their plans will affect me
If speaking Yoruba will restore electricity and move them from bagged  " impure" water to clean pipeborne water,let them carry on
They can even declare Aso oke the official clothing,Amala the official food and dance owa nbe before and after deliberations wink
which one ' consine' Nwando.
no be una live there?

just kidding,I love Naija and I care
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by debosky(m): 8:08pm On Dec 05, 2007
Its a stupid Idea - Lagos is the most cosmopolitan city/state in Nigeria, it makes no sense to try to 'yorubanize' the state by making Yoruba the official language in the house of assembly - leave that to Ekiti, Ogun, Osun, Ondo and Oyo to do wink

In the near future when people living all their lives in Lagos and are not of Yoruba extraction get elected into the house, will they be forced to learn Yoruba to participate? The official Language of Nigeria as a federation is English, Lagos is not that homogeneous to apply such a change in official language.

How does speaking Yoruba bring sanity? If someone is stupid while speaking English, will Yoruba instantly confer a modicum of intelligence on him?

It is all well and good for highly homogeneous states such as Yobe, Zamfara, Osun, Ekiti, Ebonyi, and a few others like that to use the indigenous language as their 'official' language, but in a place like Lagos which is supposed to be a home for all, it is not only divisive, but highly undesirable.

Like nwando said. . .is this the law that will remove the garbage under the bridges in Lagos or repair the roads? Another set of misguided legislators following their Federal Counterparts by debating nonsensical issues.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Respect For Robert Mugabe Just Grew In Tripple Fold / I Have Built 1000 Projects In Five Years- Okorocha / Video Of Presidential Aide, Okon Obla Defending Maina's Reinstatement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.