Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,106 members, 7,828,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained (13642 Views)

Boko Haram Leader Arrested In N’djamena, Chad / Kogi Deeper Life Church Attack Gang Leader Arrested In Edo State / Suspected Boko Haram Leader Arrested At Karkasara Quarters In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by antsut(m): 1:49pm On Jul 15, 2012
ganye1: The STF has clearly taken sides by ordering the Fulani out of their homes and now arresting the only man who speaks their side of the story. The man is being arrested for informing the world about STF killing Fulanis & destroying their homes which was the immediate cause of the recent crisis. Now that they are embarking on another round of massacre they arrested the only man they know will tell d world.
Absolute and undiluted truth!

2 Likes

Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by maigaskiya1: 1:53pm On Jul 15, 2012
My frnd shut ur bucalvity.u hausa fulanis tnk ure smart.ws it nt d same stf dat ws shieldng u fulanis nd arming ur militias,nw d tides hav trund aganst u blod thirsty demons ure cryng blue murdr.u nd ur fulani kinsmen shud organise a jail break,d 3rd amo is at rokuba very close 2u.wise guy
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by antsut(m): 1:55pm On Jul 15, 2012
torkaka:
see you andyour screwed way of reasoning! if the cause of the problem is attributed to STF killing fulanis and attacking their villages then why did the fulanis retaliate by killing plateau villagers instead of attacking STF?
Govt can not be the perceive enemy but fellow civilians.... If men in uniform attack you will you think in your right senses that govt is attacking?
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by namfav(m): 1:56pm On Jul 15, 2012
i hear you, but fulani in the middle belt have always been victimised

T-smooth:
@namfav what is the big deal if a fulani is being interogated? if he is innocent then he should'nt be afraid or his people shouldnt be intimidated. You dont know may be they would arrest a prominent Bero leader too u never can tell.
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by namfav(m): 2:01pm On Jul 15, 2012
i guess you will not speak about the murders of fulani, or even when fulani in jos were killed by birom and flesh eaten

torkaka:
in a space of two years ,the fulanis have killed more innocent nigerians than malaria & aids combined! it wouldn't hurt one bit for a couple of their leaders to be under the hammer!
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by namfav(m): 2:05pm On Jul 15, 2012
i agree with you about other people being free and given the right to start conflict, the priority and focus has always been on fulani, but you know their always 2 sides of the story that people refuse to see on narialand, many people here have already accepted that the blame is on fulani without looking at the other side of the history

ndu_chucks:

This man honoured an invitation from the Commander of the Special Task Force (STF), Major General Henry Ayoola, and he was rewarded by being handed over to the State Security Service (SSS). His Birom counterpart remains free to continue to lead his war against the Fulani people. This strategy simply shows the incompetence of the leaders of the STF. They are fueling the flames of war rather than trying to put out the fire.

STF knows who the leaders are on both sides, where they live, how they operate and who their financiers are. Why can't they round up all the leaders and come up with a comprehensive plan at the federal level to resolve the conflict. A military strategy lead by incompetent generals is a recipe for failure.
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by antsut(m): 2:08pm On Jul 15, 2012
T-smooth:
@namfav what is the big deal if a fulani is being interogated? if he is innocent then he should'nt be afraid or his people shouldnt be intimidated. You dont know may be they would arrest a prominent Bero leader too u never can tell.
You lack the rudiment of conflict resolution. Whe you're arrested in 9ja, say bye bye to your basic human right. You will be subjected to inhumane treatment, torture and in some cases, you will be executed. And that is without taking you to the court of competent jurisdiction. The arrested that innocent man without warrant. They want to silent him. Tell me if tomorrow someone will honour the invitation of stf?
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by koruji(m): 2:11pm On Jul 15, 2012
You have little understanding of how to contain a cycle of violence. Let me spell it out for you.

The government must step in and actually take the role of the avenger - but with equal application on either side in response to any act of violence.

The principle is actually simple. [size=14pt]The fury of the FG on any party that perpetrates violence, must be greater than what either one of them can do to each other.[/size]

[size=14pt]Thus, to break the cycle of violence the government must swiftly arrest, prosecute and give maximum sentence to the LAST perperator of the violence. Here I emphasize SWIFT and LAST. Why? [/size]

When violence has become retaliatory in nature, right or wrong sides cease to exist after the first act of retaliation. What the government must then do is stop the need for retaliation by making it abundantly clear and carrying out severe, and swift "justice" on the LAST perpetrator. Once both parties get that very clear in their minds they will wake up to the need to stop, since UNDELAYED, SEVERE and CERTAIN punishment is assured. Then the door opens for peaceful resolution.

I have being saying it for almost two years now - the Federal Government must shine the light on the leaders of both sides to these violence, calling them out in the sight of the entire world, and delivering a stern rule of engagement. This open meeting is critical to prevent the feeling that the government is taking sides. [size=14pt]Afterwards, any act of violence must be met with arrest and prosecution, did I say SWIFTLY before, and in this particular case the firing squad - broadcasted nationwide.[/size]

President GEJ understands this very well, I believe. He just needs to get those political calculations out of his head.

There comes a time when a ruler stakes even his own life, political and otherwise, in defense of the security of his people. Otherwise, what kind of nation would he be ruling where upwards of 200 people can be hacked to death any given day as a regular part of business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ganye1: The STF has clearly taken sides by ordering the Fulani out of their homes and now arresting the only man who speaks their side of the story. The man is being arrested for informing the world about STF killing Fulanis & destroying their homes which was the immediate cause of the recent crisis. Now that they are embarking on another round of massacre they arrested the only man they know will tell d world.
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 15, 2012
namfav: i guess you will not speak about the murders of fulani, or even when fulani in jos were killed by birom and flesh eaten

dude do you know the kind of paradise we will enjoy in nigeria if fulanis along with hausas decide to renounce their citizenship?
beroms are not causing trouble in benue,beroms are not causing trouble in oyo,beroms are not causing trouble in ogun,beroms are not causing trouble in taraba,beroms are not causing trouble in nasarawa,beroms are not causing trouble in kwara! you can't say same for fulani can you?

1 Like

Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by waja(m): 2:14pm On Jul 15, 2012
T-smooth:
I dont see any problem in interogating him, but I think they should interogate Ayo Oritsejafor too because I dont trust that man he look like evil to me, and also king of plateau.
. Which community sch. did U attend?
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by lacasa: 2:27pm On Jul 15, 2012
The STF αve now become co-conspirators in this Jos crisis.

Good!.

Jeremiah Useni has said what everybody knows.

Jang is the cause of all this, he has supervised the genocide against hausas in plateau n now the ffulanis with the STF commander as his accomplice.

Very Good!.

They should know better than all of us Ђδω the fulanis never Forgive nor Forget atrocities committed against their people n property.

i pity the Plateau, cos its obvious nobody is interested in finding lasting peace btw the warring factions.

Its a Pity!.

1 Like

Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by koruji(m): 2:48pm On Jul 15, 2012
Fulani never forget? Other parties would also learn to stop forgeting!

By killing a Senator of the Federal republic, even the feeble FG at the center is being forced to wake up.

Don't expect him back at home any time soon!

lacasa: The STF αve now become co-conspirators in this Jos crisis.

Good!.

Jeremiah Useni has said what everybody knows.

Jang is the cause of all this, he has supervised the genocide against hausas in plateau n now the ffulanis with the STF commander as his accomplice.

Very Good!.

They should know better than all of us Ђδω the fulanis never Forgive nor Forget atrocities committed against their people n property.

i pity the Plateau, cos its obvious nobody is interested in finding lasting peace btw the warring factions.

Its a Pity!.

1 Like

Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by Tyche(m): 2:57pm On Jul 15, 2012
Let justice be done. Let the perpetrators and their sponsors, wherever and whomsoever they are be duly punished.
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by gegee(m): 2:57pm On Jul 15, 2012
torkaka:
see you andyour screwed way of reasoning! if the cause of the problem is attributed to STF killing fulanis and attacking their villages then why did the fulanis retaliate by killing plateau villagers instead of attacking STF?
my brother ask am o
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by Chongaiman: 3:14pm On Jul 15, 2012
@Koruji
I feel you . . .

@Lacasa
Who would take Abacha's love-vendor's words seriously?
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by Megabyts(m): 3:16pm On Jul 15, 2012
torkaka:
so u mean to say u were not in Nija wen the biroms invaded hausa fulani villages and killed their men ,women, even babies were not spared.they equaly burnt their houses and took their cows away u selfish fool.
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 15, 2012
Megabyts: so u mean to say u were not in Nija wen the biroms invaded hausa fulani villages and killed their men ,women, even babies were not spared.they equaly burnt their houses and took their cows away u selfish fool.
my guy foolish cannot define you! go back and read the post i was replying too then slap yourself twice! olodo!
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by maasoap(m): 3:58pm On Jul 15, 2012
torkaka:
in a space of two years ,the fulanis have killed more innocent nigerians than malaria & aids combined! it wouldn't hurt one bit for a couple of their leaders to be under the hammer!
And Fulanis were not killed in equal proportion in the last two years? I only wish our authority to learn from the mistake they made when Police summarily executed late Boko Haram leader. The man only stated what he believes was the source of problems when asked by journalists. Can we really cope with Boko Haram in the front and Herdsmen at the back?
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by FOLLEY20(m): 4:02pm On Jul 15, 2012
dukenestor:
Can you defend this in a court of law?
Dis is not d issue of whether or not somebody can defend saying: 75% of ACF are Boko Haram sponsors. If not how had they been able 2 help d SJTF in d area 2 fish out those BH boys? D only thing de do is 2 condemn after d attack.
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by jayp2: 4:03pm On Jul 15, 2012
Beaf: [size=14pt]Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained[/size]
14 Jul 2012
Abubakar. Muhammed Abubakar, IGP
By Seriki Adinoyi in Jos

The National Secretary of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association (MACBA), Saleh Bayeri has been arrested.
This is as former Military Administrator of Delta State, Colonel John Dung (rtd) debunked the allegation credited to Chairman of Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), General Jeremiah Useni that Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau State was the cause of the persistent violence in the State.

Bayeri was arrested by the Special Task Force (STF) when he honoured invitation from the Commander of the Force, Major General Henry Ayoola, who handed him over to the State Security Service (SSS).

STF Spokesman Captain Salisu Mustapha confirmed the arrest, adding that Bayeri has been handed over to the SSS for interrogation.
Meanwhile, the STF has virtually relocated its base to Matse in Barkin Ladi, following another attempt by the attackers to invade the villages they had earlier attacked on Saturday and Sunday. According to a statement by the state government, no life was lost in that invasion as the STF reportedly waded off the attackers

Former Military Administrator of Delta State, Colonel John Dung (rtd) has reacted to the statement credited to the Chairman, Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), Gen Jeremiah Useni (rtd), in which Useni claimed that Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau State is the cause of persistent violence in the state, saying ‘Useni’s claim is not true’.

Dung, in an interview with our correspondent said, “If Jang is the problem why are they killing the innocent people in the villages. Some of these villages are not even Berom villages; Maza and Babale that were attacked by gunmen sometimes ago are not Berom villages. So how are they linked to Jang?

“I don’t know why he said what he said, but I know that the problem is not Jang. The problem is purely political and Northern problem. May be he said so because he is the Chairman of Arewa Consultative Forum. But that is not true; I disagree with him totally on that comment.

“What I know is that we need to work together in unity as Plateau people”.

Meanwhile, a Christian Cleric, Prophet Isah el-Buba of the Evangelical Bible Outreach Ministry International (EBOMI) in Jos said the President should be bold, adding that “it is better not to be re-elected as Nigerian President who stands on the path of truth than to compromise with people to sink the nation”.

On the activities of the Islamic sect known as Boko Haram, el-Buba pointed out that they are not faceless as some people would like to make other believe, arguing that they are known only that people are trying to shield the members for selfish and religious reasons.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/plateau-crisis-fulani-leader-arrested-detained/120015/
I have gotten this issue of Jonah Jang on my mind for a very long time but I guess this is a very good time to clamour for it. The Governor as rightly said could have been the cause of the persistent violence and look he appeared to be incapable in resolving these crises. Do you know the number of lives that have been lost in Plaeteu State only and yet no culprit has been convicted. Better still, let our IMPOTENT president declear a State of Emergency in Pleatue for some months just as it happened in Ekiti State......*sobs*
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by bejay766: 4:44pm On Jul 15, 2012
It really bothers me how educated Nigerians easily and openly abuse their leaders. In nairaland, hardly hardly proffers solutionss, but delights in insulting one another.
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by bejay766: 4:48pm On Jul 15, 2012
It really bothers me on how Nigerians easily and openly abuse their leaders. In nairaland, contributors hardly proffer solutions but delights in insulting one another.
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by rawtruth(m): 5:30pm On Jul 15, 2012
namfav: i guess you will not speak about the murders of fulani, or even when fulani in jos were killed by birom and flesh eaten

how many fulanis were killed by the Tivs b4 armed fulani militias invaded their communities in Nassarawa and deep into Benue killing, maiming and burning at will? This very arogant and soulless Bayeri boosted after d killings that 'fulanis can't be stopped from grazing in Benue areas'.(see Daily Trust of 25th. February 2011) The fulanis are now holding sway but, certainly, d tide shall change. Surely, their alliance with boko haram must be giving them more confidence. Let them continue keep their Malians, Chadians, Nigeriens, senegalese and other Fula milijias from across Africa, and their Arab terrorist advisers, as their standing Army since they might use them as legitimate soldiers of d planned Islamic republic, but time shall definitely tell! '

1 Like

Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by muhibro: 6:12pm On Jul 15, 2012
Unrest in Jos – Plateau, Nigeria [UK Guardian]

The death of a Senator and a member of the Plateau State House of Assembly has once more drawn the attention of the country to the unending crisis on the Plateau, not because there was cessation in the conflict before their deaths but because the crisis has started to take a new dimension altogether. The list of victims has, for the first time in the history of ethno-religious conflicts in Nigeria, started to include the elite, and the politicians especially.
While the sad development seems to worry everyone and there are renewed calls for peace from many quarters, reports indicate that the Joint Task Force (JTF), whose actions was responsible for the escalation of the crisis recently, is busy destroying Fulani settlements in Barikin Ladi amd Riyom Local Government Areas, adding fuel to fire. Luggere, a Fulani stronghold, was destroyed yesterday and its inhabitants forcefully dispersed.
“This morning”, the Secretary of Miyetti Allah in Barikin Ladi Local Government, Malam Mohammed Adam told the Daily Trust yesterday, “soldiers came and started burning Fulani settlements. As I speak to you now, they are busy burning all Fulani settlements in Shong II, Wuro Bello, Gure Danegu, Dyola, Rakweng, Sharu, Kuzeng, Luggel, Rachi, Matse and Afan. They are backed up with helicopters and tanks.”

Once more, in the quest for peace, the Nigerian authorities are repeating the mistake they committed with Boko Haram in 2009. They have not quenched that fire since. Yet, they are starting a bigger one.

The Background

A proper understanding of the conflict must be located within the framework of the genocidal agenda of the Berom. They have vowed to cleanse the areas they dominate of the Hausa and the Fulani. Today, except in their strongholds like Sabongidan Danyaya, Barikin Ladi town, and few other tin settlements like Dorawar Babuje, all the Hausa villages in Berom-dominated areas have been wiped out. The countryside has been cleansed of nearly forty such settlements.

The flight of the Hausa and sedentary Fulani was not prompted by cowardice, I believe, but by the luxury of the alternative they have. They could migrate into the comfort of other Hausa communities in other towns in the state or neighbouring ones to continue with their farming and petty trading. Of course, their flight comes with a lot of loss of capital and property. Nevertheless, they should be grateful to nature for endowing them with that option, which it has denied the cattle Fulani. This fact is at the core of the ongoing conflict.

Jos – Nigeria

It was not that the Berom spared the Fula naturalis in cognizance of the longstanding association between the two groups. Not at all. Many attacks have been moffered by Berom militia but, this time, unlike in the case with the Hausa, the Fulani in all their major settlements in Beromland have so far been repelling such attacks successfully with equal, if not superior, force. It is this balance of terror that has enabled the Fulani to stay put there, while the fuel of genocide continues to burn in the heart of the Berom emperor, His Excellency, Governor David Jonah Jang. The Fulani has to do this because nature has not offered him a better choice as it did to others.
Nature has consigned the Fulani to his cattle and in Africa the cattle has consigned him to the bush. He has no option except to live in the countryside where his master – the cattle – would flourish. In the gospel of his survival, he must cherish the grass and fight to the last drop of his blood for his natural master to graze uncultivated forests and grassland. Since his appearance in West Africa a millennium ago, he has obediently followed his cattle to wherever they led him. There is hardly any country in West, Central and, now, East Africa where he has not set his foot on and he continues to press southward, following the African Drainage Basin, until one day his herd drinks from the Orange River in South Africa.

The conflict with the Berom has endured precisely because it is among the very few cases where attempts were made in history to expel the Fulani completely from a place. Nowhere has this strategy ever succeeded in the history of West Africa since it started in the period of Sonni Ali, one of the kings of the ancient Songhai Empire. Conflict with the Fulani could be prolonged and they may even sustain heavy casualties and disappear for a while; but soon their cattle would guide them back, one way or the other, to settle on the once hostile land. Only the tsetse fly has succeeded in barring the them from some territories, before. Today, even that threat is gone, with deforestation and the availability of effective drugs against bovine blood parasites. Their cows are today successfully grazing in the Niger Delta, on the Atlantic coast.

This understanding is important in the scheme of any dream, conflict or peace that involves the Fulani. His natural burden to cater for the cow must be recognized. This has led him to the innate belief that his cattle have a universal right to natural grass wherever it may be, just as the Americans believe in mankind’s universal rights to natural resources. Beromland cannot be an exception. All the Fulani asks for is grass, water and respect for his life and property. Nothing more. He is not interested in competing with the Berom in politics, education or trade. Almost all African tribes he visited so far have granted him those rights and that of passage through their territory to wherever his masters would take him.

If only the Berom, as many other tribes did, would appreciate the burden that his Fulani brother carris and allow him to graze the uncultivated fields without harassment or attempt to evict him, peace with the Fulani would be as easy as breathing air.

Is this a special demand that the Fulani are obliged to beg for? No. The Fulani are Nigerians as much as any other group. Every tribe in Nigeria traces its origin somewhere outside the country and from where, according to its elders, it immigrated. The Berom, for example, trace their origins to Niger Republic! Admittedly, the Fulani are the most recent arrivals, starting just some 500 years ago, but that does not make them less bonafide citizens of Nigeria. He is a native of Nigeria. By official connotation, a native is any non-European living in the country at the time of British conquest. The Fulani is entitled to constitutional rights like any other Nigerian. He may be living alone in the bush, with his nuclear family and herd of cows. He may be illiterate with no knowledge of the constitution or common law. He may be weak, without a political body supporting him or protecting his rights. But Nigerian he remains, undeniably.

Over the past 400 years, the Fulani herdsmen have lived on the Plateau peacefully with all other native groups without any major conflict. They have contributed to its rural economy, including jobs for families whose members they employ to attend to their cows. They have raised many children of other tribes and benefitted them in various ways. A story that Governor Jang is never tired of telling people is how he was raised by a Fulani family and sponsored his early education. Now he is paying them back with deaths and destruction! His majesty, the Gbong Gwom of Jos, Mr. Gyang Buba, ascribes his Fulani surname to a Fulani neighbour his family once lived with. And so on. The two examples speak volumoft about the peaceful coexistence that has developed over the centuries between the Fulani and other tribes on the Bauchi Plateau – as it is properly called in geography.

Escalation

The Fulani believe that the recent escalation in the crisis is caused by a new Berom strategy. Knowing very well from previous major encounters that his people are no match to the Fulani even with the resources of government at his disposal (he once offered to buy their men braziers when thousands of them fled their towns after their defeat in one of those encounters last year) and neither can he convince the federal government to withdraw the soldiers from the streets, Jang has now resorted to using the JTF under its new Commander to fight his proxy war against the Fulani. If one commander could decline the offer, he can be replaced by another whoEqui would take it.

And of taking it many people are accusing the new JTF commander, Major-General Henry Ayoola. Thus, under him, the death of a promiscuous, heavy drinking mobile policeman under the JTF and the loss of his rifle at Karaku were instantly, without any investigation, hanged on the neck of all the Fulani and troops went on mass destruction of their homes and cows in Bangwai and dozens of their villages in Barikin Ladi local governments. Yet, when the Fulani complained of the destruction, the JTF publicly denied knowledge of such attacks. And it continues to claim ignorance on what is now common knowledge.

Are we witnessing a repeat of Maiduguri here? Every rational Nigerian will agree that the strategy of using crass force to settle civilian issues does not work. This was the mistake that the Nigerian authorities made in the case of Boko Haram and for which the country is paying dearly today. When compared to the international brotherhood of the Fulani, Boko Haram could just be a drop in the ocean.

Government is punishing the victims of the Berom genocide agenda. Why is the conflict in Plateau State now reduced to Berom territory only? Are they the only tribe among whom the Fulani live in the state? Why would, in the quest for peace, must the homes of innocent citizens be destroyed? Why is the JTF denying them the return to their ruined homes? How can the death of a policeman and the loss of his rifle justify these human rights abuses? Let us not forget that the conflict with Boko Haram started by the shooting of their members at a funeral procession who did not wear a motorcycle helmet. Is riding a motorcycle without a helmet enough a justification to kill many Nigerian citizens?

If the JTF had taken it’s time investigate the killer of the promiscuous policman, the crisis would not have escalated in the first place. The lives of the Senator and many others would have been saved. But many people believe that it is an agenda.

The Agenda

There is a general understanding amongst the residents of the State that only the state governor has the key to its peace. That key doe not have a duplicate. Unfortunately, as General Jeremiah Husaini (rtd), one of the elders in the state, said this morning over the BBC, the governor is not disposed to the peaceful resolution of the crisis. He impervious to advice, said the retired general.

One may dismiss Husaini as a persistent Tarok opponent of governor Jang. He is not, at least on this case. Though the crisis started before his tenure, by 2007 when Jang was sworn in as the governor, most of the ethno-religious conflicts in the state have ceased. Dariye’s dream of cleansing the Plateau of Hausa-Fulani had clearly proved unattainable and abandoned especially after he was rustled by Obasanjo and the EFCC. People of various ethnic groups were moving about freely in the state without any hindrance. Business returned. Some who fled had even started returning. However, Jang renewed the genocidal dream by committing himself to three Berom-centred goals: developing his Berom homeland, cleansing it of the much bigoted Hausa-Fulani, and vesting all political power in Jos and its environs in his tribesmen. This is why the entire state is quiet, except Beromland.

Jang has largely succeeded on all the three objectives. At the expense of human lives, he has made other groups inconsequential in the scheme of things in Jos and its environs. That was his strategy behind conducting the local government election of 2008 against all security advice. He has also built a good road network in his entire Beromland, to the envy of other ethnic groups in the state. The roads leading even to remotest Berom villages are either completed and asphalt rendered or about to be completed. He has, as we noted earlier, also succeeded in expelling most Hausas and many sedentary Fulani from most of the tin mining settlements in Beromland. The only people he is yet to beat are the cattle Fulani.

Expelling the Fulani from Beromland is a record that Jang would like to achieve but from what is going on, the Fulani have vowed never to allow him win that gold medal. So long as grass will continue to grow there, so long as the land and property the Fulani legitimately acquired remain there, so long as their lives and property are vandalized without the protection from government, these African gypsies, from all indications, will continue to fight for their dear lives and those of their masters. Their basic constitutional rights are the minimum that I know they, like any other group of Nigerians, will never compromise on.

The Road to Peace

The road to peace therefore is one: the constitution as I have always argued. Let the dream of cleansing Beromland of Fulani end in the heart of Jang and he will find the Fulani instantly willing to embrace peace. This has happened in other parts of the state. As the governor, Jang has vowed to protect the lives and property of all Nigerians under his domain. He must keep that promise. Only then will Berom and Fulani live in peace. Otherwise, this crisis will last for generations to come.

As a side note, the JTF under its new commander must not be partial on this matter. If it cannot protect the Fulani, it must not join forces with Jang to eliminate them and their property. Attempting to do so will definitely lead to loss of more lives of Berom and their supporters. The Fulani cannot be eliminated. They have never been.

Let me assure all concerned that in spite of the ongoing brutality the Fulani will survive this crisis. So far they have survived the hostilities of ancient Mali, Songhai, Gobir, and Borno empires. Some of those empires they crippled, some they stamped out completely in spite of their small number, and with the rest they were able to live peacefully until the present time. In all those instances, they were equipped with nothing but three things that nobody can deny them: the valour of the nomad, two, the strength that they derive from their unmatched group feeling – or ‘asabiyyaas Ibn Khaldun would call it and, three, the strong thirst for justice. That group feeling has been responsible for the defeat of most sedentary dynasties in the past. It is also the key to the survival of the nomads today. As for their thirst for justice, they are never satisfied until it is served in full measure their aggressors, either by the authorities or by them.

The power of Jang cannot match that of Ahmad Sekou Toure, the longest serving Mallinke President of Guinea who revived the hate of his ancestor, Sonni Ali. Toure assassinated and murdered in cold blood over thirty thousands Fulani intellectuals, leaders and tribesmen during his 26-year tenure. But they survived him, using their estrangement to work harder until they gained control of over 80% of the Guinean economy today. Jang, in spite of the support he is able to buy, is not more than a child trying to break a coconut with his teeth. Ridding Beromland of Fulani can only be temporary and certainly makes it more vulnerable to attacks by their brothers from other parts of West Africa. Take this to the bank.

As a minority in the area and on the disadvantaged side in the conflict, the Fulani were not successful in initiating peace with the Berom in the past. All their attempts were rebuffed. It is the move of the more preponderant and government-backed Berom that would be successful, given their monopoly over land and state resources. But the Berom, even if they want peace, are under the spell of their emperor, Jang. He controls their paramount chief and their youths. He has a choice between peace and violence.

The choice of violence, on the one hand, is not a wise one because violence is a two-way commodity: Pain on this side, and pain on the other. With the egalitarian Fulani, you get just as much pain as you give him. The road to peace, on the other, is quiet and its results are three-dimensional: In this case, peace to the Berom, peace to the Fulani and peace to other Nigerians living on the Plateau.

With the support he enjoys from the press, his ethnic group, law enforcement agents, Plateau courts and the state treasury, Jang may foolishly choose to remain recalcitrant and prefer violence to peace. We pray that he one day sees the light, become wiser and listen to elders of the State such that the lives of to meddle into Plateau affairs.

Lastly, may peace be upon the leader who brings peace to his people. And already blessed are the people who seek justice, no matter the odds, without surrendering.

Bauchi,
12 July 2012

Dr. Aliyu Tilde blogs at Friday Discourse
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jul 15, 2012
muhibro: Unrest in Jos – Plateau, Nigeria [UK Guardian]

Once more, in the quest for peace, the Nigerian authorities are repeating the mistake they committed with Boko Haram in 2009. They have not quenched that fire since. Yet, they are starting a bigger one.

Dr. Aliyu Tilde blogs at Friday Discourse

NONSENSE!
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by mathskill: 6:30pm On Jul 15, 2012
Let Jang be arrested first then we know the government is seriouse.
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by mathskill: 6:40pm On Jul 15, 2012
joskid:
NONSENSE!
Is that all you have in your head
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jul 15, 2012
mathskill: Is that all you have in your head

Whatever.
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by Beaf: 7:32pm On Jul 15, 2012
Boko haram claimed responsibility for the last Fulani massacre in Jos. It doesn't take a clever person to figure out who boko haram is in the region and go after every last one.

1 Like

Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by jamace(m): 7:35pm On Jul 15, 2012
Jerry Useni is a traitor and betrayer of the middlebelt. He is Judas personified. For selfish reasons he has remained loyal to the hausa/fulani. Maybe he is too dumb to know that he will be dumped sooner than later by those northern blood suckers.

Jang remains a man of the people to the Plateau people and a key player in the middlebelt movement.

1 Like

Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 15, 2012
the way u guys hate fulani like this, cant u just mean it by shunning to eat cow meats or using anything dat has to do with fulanis, cant u just stick to ur pork and dog meats, cant u just cut all ties with d fulani and lets c who will loose in d end. Pls dnt go to the market and buy cow meat again since u hate the fulanis dat much
Re: Plateau Crisis: Fulani Leader Arrested, Detained by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 15, 2012
ajobes: the way u guys hate fulani like this, cant u just mean it by shunning to eat cow meats or using anything dat has to do with fulanis, cant u just stick to ur pork and dog meats, cant u just cut all ties with d fulani and lets c who will loose in d end. Pls dnt go to the market and buy cow meat again since u hate the fulanis dat much

There are Berom people and other Plateau natives who rear their OWN cows on their OWN lands. And yes, we can do without the "other" sources of meat. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"What Nigeria Must Do To Stop Libya Migration" – Atiku / Akpabio Will Reclaim His Senatorial Seat — Etekamba Umoren, Ex-SSG / Lagos State Government To Establish Butchers’ Academy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.