Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,211 members, 7,836,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Should The Church Have The Right To Demand A HIV Certificate Before Marriage? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should The Church Have The Right To Demand A HIV Certificate Before Marriage? (3516 Views)

Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / Can You Marry A Hiv-infected Partner? / Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should The Church Have The Right To Demand A HIV Certificate Before Marriage? by gigitte(f): 5:08am On Apr 07, 2006
Dauda:

I think the catholic church in Botswana is going independent. The universal church, as of today has not made a HIV certificate a conditio sine qua non for the rite of matrimony. I believe they will be brought to order (i.e the Botswana prelates) if proper representations are made to the appropriate quarters. (Rome) Inasmuch as the church preaches abstinence before marriage, it does not and should not preclude HIV positive members from receiving the holy rite of matrimony. What would Jesus do?

of course it shouldnt, which is why it doesnt grin
Re: Should The Church Have The Right To Demand A HIV Certificate Before Marriage? by xphanti(f): 12:34pm On Apr 07, 2006
Well, i don't think any church has the right to ask people to take a test , compel them to take a test or even force them to take a test before marriage. These churches mean well but it really is not their business. They can only advice them to take a test before marriage while the marriage counselling is going on.It is now left to them to decide whether or not they want to.
Re: Should The Church Have The Right To Demand A HIV Certificate Before Marriage? by riya(m): 2:25pm On Apr 07, 2006
Why will the church seek for problem they do not have solution to? The couples praying to God and getting conviction that they are the right partners for themselves is enough. If God brought them together is it the church that will put them apart? If the church really believe that God orders steps of the righteous and that the taught of God towards us is that of good and not evil and that every thing happens for good for them that love God and that are called according to His purpose, they should not border themselves on the HIV status of anyone. They should border on how to make the people live righteously before God. The church should stop playing God. They should let God be God in the life of people.
Re: Should The Church Have The Right To Demand A HIV Certificate Before Marriage? by gigitte(f): 8:06pm On Apr 07, 2006
@ riya
the church isnt trying to pull anyone apart, if God has joined you together good for you! what about the children you will have? u will dispense with all means of protection, not so? do you want to give your partner HIV? (if you have it and dont know your status), do you want to transmit HIV to your kids? the church is just helping you to consider such because the HIV test is kinda scary and you might not want to do it, or you may think you at not at risk

as i have said over and over again, the botswana case is an extreme one, it is not the norm, the church just wants you to know what you are getting into
Re: Should The Church Have The Right To Demand A HIV Certificate Before Marriage? by Blue2(m): 8:34am On Apr 08, 2006
One has to be very careful when discussing issues of HIV status in a society where victims are highly discriminated. The church can sensitise and let couples take the decision as to whether or not they want to go through HIV test. the emphasis should be on eductaion trying to make it compulsory gives the whole thing a bad gloss.
Re: Should The Church Have The Right To Demand A HIV Certificate Before Marriage? by gigitte(f): 10:17am On Apr 09, 2006
sounds very reasonable!
i like that
Re: Should The Church Have The Right To Demand A HIV Certificate Before Marriage? by okie(m): 10:37am On Apr 10, 2006
I think the fact that the church is trying to curtail the spread of this terrible disease from spreading to the younger gereation is a good think but for God sake requesting for a test result from the intending couple should be a voluntary thing to do. It should not be stipulated or enforced on them. For God sake presenting an HIV test result doesn't stop the parties involved from getting married outside the church or even forgetting the marriage aspect and start living as one under the same roof. To me all this act tends to push alot of people far away from God.
Re: Should The Church Have The Right To Demand A HIV Certificate Before Marriage? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Apr 10, 2006
Me i don't even know where these people get this kain idea that's just bang out of order. Should the church offer advice yes, should they counsel big yes but to force and then ask for a certificate please that to me is an intrusion. When i was about to get married i was told that i'd have to do a pregnancy test 3 weeks to my wedding and then bring the certificate to the pastor. I bluntly refused and had a xtian ceremony elsewhere not because I was pregnant but because i consider it an intrusion and invasion into my private life. Somebody should tell these churches where to get of sometimes
Re: Should The Church Have The Right To Demand A HIV Certificate Before Marriage? by h2dazo: 7:24pm On Feb 07, 2008
The test should be voluntrily, no one has the right to force and no one should be forced to do such a test. If there is anything you need from the church and the test result is been asked for one should just go and get it from somewhere else.
Re: Should The Church Have The Right To Demand A HIV Certificate Before Marriage? by ukchy: 10:52pm On Mar 01, 2011
I think Church have a great role to play here.The cases of divorce is on the increase now,and the church as an institution to guide us on moral ground came up with a decision that intending couple MUST know their HIV status before marriage,they are not discriminating here,but actually want both of you to be aware of what you are about to enter.If one person is Positive and the partner decide to stick with him,fine and good,but at least they both know the implication and how to go about it and they will be properly counseled. shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Boy Needs Your Help / If You Are The Father Of This Girl, Will You Give Her The Money? - PIC / A nairalander 4 Years Old Son Performing His Sonly Duty.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.