Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,443 members, 7,826,702 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Floods In Ibadan Again - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Floods In Ibadan Again (8263 Views)

Ibadan Again: Police Uncover Fake Currency Factory In Ibadan / Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes / Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Demdem(m): 4:50pm On Jul 16, 2012
lekkie073:
Make he turn hinself to umbrella to cover the whole state? Or what? embarassed
Make he turn hinself to umbrella to cover the whole state? Or what?

My friend, shut up. i have highlighted my expectations.

Demdem:

Agreed, the problem didnt originate from him, however what has he done so far for these re-occuring floods. we all know there are floods also in lagos and the efforts fashola and his commissioners are putting in but for Oyo things seems to be quiet of recent. the governor and his people should come out and educate us on what he has done so far and what he is currently doing. The problem simply cant vanish in a day, its a process that must commence somehow.

forget bleaching Akala, he is gone for good. Lets hold these current ones accountable for now.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by agitator: 5:04pm On Jul 16, 2012
^^ Are you still responding to that he-goat? It is only PDP that is bad.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Pukkah: 5:06pm On Jul 16, 2012
After the destructive flood which rampaged Ibadan last year, it became obvious to Mr Abiola Ajimobi that many houses which were estimated at over 2,000 and said to be blocking the drains, waterways and flood plains should be demolished. He apparently thought of the political implications of such a move and reckoned that he could not at the time face the social upheaval that would confront his new government.

As an alternative, he went for the less disruptive option of dredging the rivers and widening water channels in the metropolis. With this option, he would only have to demolish just 56 houses out of which 40 had already been abandoned. Obviously, he went for the dredging option and jettisoned the unpopular demolition option while expecting that the dredging option would bring about an enduring solution.

I must admit, it does seem like the dredging option has only been partially effective especially considering the volume of the last rainfall which led to this flood. If the rivers had not been widened or dredged, the impact would have been more than this.

Governor Ajimobi must move beyond this moderate 'dredging success' and confront the planning problem in Ibadan headlong. Of course, it will bring tears and cries but he should engage the people and prepare them for this inevitable task as the problems can only get worse. There is no reason to experience floods in Ibadan if things are done properly.

Governance is not a mean task.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Demdem(m): 5:14pm On Jul 16, 2012
^^^^^

More like what i am looking for. the governnor just have to be courageous and do the right thing
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Beaf: 5:52pm On Jul 16, 2012
Pukkah: After the destructive flood which rampaged Ibadan last year, it became obvious to Mr Abiola Ajimobi that many houses which were estimated at over 2,000 and said to be blocking the drains, waterways and flood plains should be demolished. He apparently thought of the political implications of such a move and reckoned that he could not at the time face the social upheaval that would confront his new government.

As an alternative, he went for the less disruptive option of dredging the rivers and widening water channels in the metropolis. With this option, he would only have to demolish just 56 houses out of which 40 had already been abandoned. Obviously, he went for the dredging option and jettisoned the unpopular demolition option while expecting that the dredging option would bring about an enduring solution.

I must admit, it does seem like the dredging option has only been partially effective especially considering the volume of the last rainfall which led to this flood. If the rivers had not been widened or dredged, the impact would have been more than this.

Governor Ajimobi must move beyond this moderate 'dredging success' and confront the planning problem in Ibadan headlong. Of course, it will bring tears and cries but he should engage the people and prepare them for this inevitable task as the problems can only get worse. There is no reason to experience floods in Ibadan if things are done properly.

Governance is not a mean task.

Crap.

Why are places like Warri and PH not flooded? Is Ibadan more riverine?
The Oyo state govt is a failure.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Pukkah: 6:28pm On Jul 16, 2012
Beaf:

Crap.

I have ignored your indecent language and have provided evidence of PH and Warri floods:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/flood-wreaks-havoc-in-port-harcourt/

Flood wreaks havoc in Port Harcourt
on JUNE 11, 2012 · in NEWS
12:30 am

A heavy rainfall weekend wreaked havoc at First Avenue, National Cargo and Jackson Close areas in Rumuibekwe, Port Harcourt, Rivers State destroying property and rendering families homeless.

For those whose houses were not overtaken by the flood, movement has been drastically restricted. The flood according to Mr Silas of No 1, Jackson close was causes by lack of drainage.

He, however, called on the appropriate authority to intervene and help alleviate their suffering

Four days after the rain, houses were still submerged in water. A resident of one of such houses, Mrs Ada Okorie of No 2, Jackson close whose house was still filled with water when Vanguard got there could not hold back her anguish as she lamented her plight over the past four days.

She told Vanguard that she has been scooping water from her duplex over the past four days. She, therefore, appealed to the state government to do something about the flood as she has not been able to go to work or do any other thing beside scooping water since the rain started on Saturday.

When asked what the cause of the flood was, most of the residents expressed discordant tunes. Mr Chijioke Ukaegbu of No 19 National Cargo, said it was caused by a blocked shell drainage beside their building as water from the huge drainage could not flow through.

This is for Warri:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/delta-govt-to-demolish-houses-in-warri-effurun-over-flood-menace/

Delta govt to demolish houses in Warri, Effurun over flood menace
on JULY 4, 2012 · in NEWS
12:10 am

WARRI- Delta State Government has said it will demolish houses in the cities of Warri and Effurun, allegedly obstructing water channels to avert flood disaster in the state.

State Commissioner for Environment, Chief Frank Omare, who spoke, weekend, while inspecting the buildings already marked for demolition by government, said the houses were blocking water channels and causing flood whenever there was heavy downpour.

He noted that in order to avoid death and submerging of houses, government had to take the hard decision.

Omare said his ministry would be firm and decisive in carrying out the exercise. It emerged, yesterday, that some landlords, whose houses were located on the said channels, have started mounting pressure for their houses to be removed from the demolition list.

Vanguard gathered that the state government had a report, long ago, indicating that there would be torrential rain and flooding in Warri, Effurun and to avoid the ugly situation in Lagos State, it had to demolish houses built on water channels, than allow them to dislocate the entire citizenry.

Beaf:

Crap.

From your logic, does it mean that the governments of Rivers and Delta have also failed?

I implore you to employ a decent language in your answer.

2 Likes

Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by hardeyincah(m): 7:20pm On Jul 16, 2012
what of Apete Bridge?
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by 2mch(m): 7:28pm On Jul 16, 2012
Its obvious that road is obstructing a natural waterway. They should build a bridge over that road, instead of rebuilding the road.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Demdem(m): 8:06pm On Jul 16, 2012
Beaf:

Crap.

My friend shut up. am based here in PH and we do experience flooding wellla. Though Ameachi is working in some areas but not all yet.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by benzion72(m): 9:13pm On Jul 16, 2012
Somebody mention Apete. I leave in Apete and it has being a tough work getting in and out of Apete. The Oyo State Government award the construction of the new bridge without a single motorable access road to the people of the community.The worst part is that the contractor Messers KPB lack the capacity and where withal to execute this project. The governor really disappointed all of us ACN government like that of Lagos and Edo are know for solid and quality work. Not awarding major contract to newbie who does not have any machine. There are only two machine on site and they were hired they obsolete machine that are being weld severally in a day and they will be sourcing for welder within Apete who willcollect stipend. They use Dangote cement instead of mortal that solidified in the presence of water. Ajimobineed to borrow brain from Lagos and Edo state and stop all this rubbish

Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by SPIDER90: 9:25pm On Jul 16, 2012
The problem with an average Nigerian is that we are not sincere and objective in our reasoning. There is always something beclouding our sense of judgment deliberately,it is either, he is from tribe,religion, local govt or town. Despite all the noise made by ACN about good governance on pages of newspapers and what we now discovered to be a cheap blackmail, we can authoritatively say that there is no difference btw PDP and ACN or any other party in nigeria. For us living in Ibadan( I lives in Eleyele) we can not see any diff btw Akala & Ajimobi imo the former is better, but most of u internet and ACN apologists u can continue on the defence of this man that was not prepare for this herculean task, this issue goes beyond flooding.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Beaf: 9:25pm On Jul 16, 2012
Pukkah:

I have ignored your indecent language and have provided evidence of PH and Warri floods:

Flood wreaks havoc in Port Harcourt
on JUNE 11, 2012 · in NEWS
12:30 am

A heavy rainfall weekend wreaked havoc at First Avenue, National Cargo and Jackson Close areas in Rumuibekwe, Port Harcourt, Rivers State destroying property and rendering families homeless.

For those whose houses were not overtaken by the flood, movement has been drastically restricted. The flood according to Mr Silas of No 1, Jackson close was causes by lack of drainage.

He, however, called on the appropriate authority to intervene and help alleviate their suffering

Four days after the rain, houses were still submerged in water. A resident of one of such houses, Mrs Ada Okorie of No 2, Jackson close whose house was still filled with water when Vanguard got there could not hold back her anguish as she lamented her plight over the past four days.

She told Vanguard that she has been scooping water from her duplex over the past four days. She, therefore, appealed to the state government to do something about the flood as she has not been able to go to work or do any other thing beside scooping water since the rain started on Saturday.

When asked what the cause of the flood was, most of the residents expressed discordant tunes. Mr Chijioke Ukaegbu of No 19 National Cargo, said it was caused by a blocked shell drainage beside their building as water from the huge drainage could not flow through.

This is for Warri:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/delta-govt-to-demolish-houses-in-warri-effurun-over-flood-menace/

Delta govt to demolish houses in Warri, Effurun over flood menace
on JULY 4, 2012 · in NEWS
12:10 am

WARRI- Delta State Government has said it will demolish houses in the cities of Warri and Effurun, allegedly obstructing water channels to avert flood disaster in the state.

State Commissioner for Environment, Chief Frank Omare, who spoke, weekend, while inspecting the buildings already marked for demolition by government, said the houses were blocking water channels and causing flood whenever there was heavy downpour.

He noted that in order to avoid death and submerging of houses, government had to take the hard decision.

Omare said his ministry would be firm and decisive in carrying out the exercise. It emerged, yesterday, that some landlords, whose houses were located on the said channels, have started mounting pressure for their houses to be removed from the demolition list.

Vanguard gathered that the state government had a report, long ago, indicating that there would be torrential rain and flooding in Warri, Effurun and to avoid the ugly situation in Lagos State, it had to demolish houses built on water channels, than allow them to dislocate the entire citizenry.

From your logic, does it mean that the governments of Rivers and Delta have also failed?

I implore you to employ a decent language in your answer.

Forget that long bullshiit. Can you show us a single picture from either Warri or PH in which houses are swimming like they regularly do in Ibadan?
Its totally stup!d to publish minor events in comparison to the disasters that regularly occur in Ibadan. I expect toad-like answers from dishonest people like you anyway.

I want to know why Ibadan is flood prone, whereas towns and cities in the Niger Delta are not. Simple as.
Don't you even feel deep shame that an upland town like Ibadan calls for relief and aid every few months, while ND towns don't? Lagos at least has an excuse, what the phuck is the excuse for Ibadan?

Quite clearly, the Oyo state govt is a failure.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Demdem(m): 9:32pm On Jul 16, 2012
Its good to know that we have changed the goal post from "No Flooding" at all to "Minor flooding" grin grin
Thats the way sycophants operate. grin grin No hard feelings
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by dayokanu(m): 9:40pm On Jul 16, 2012
Six days after a heavy downpour in Port Harcourt, Rivers State capital, streets around the Ntawogba Rivers are still submerged in flood, which has also sacked residents, traders and civil servants whose offices are located within the area

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/city-file/city-file/25220-canal-blockage-causes-heavy-flooding-in-port-harcourt

http://ogoninews.com/business/port-harcourt-residents-loose-31m-to-flood-leadership.html

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/29681/1/floods-take-over-port-harcourt-as-residents-groan-.html

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51715:port-harcourtflood-sweeps-through-rivers&catid=181:cityfile&Itemid=708
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Beaf: 9:43pm On Jul 16, 2012
^
Picturesuuuuu! I demand pictures muthaphucker!
Admit that the Oyo state govt is a failure.

Demdem:

My friend shut up. am based here in PH and we do experience flooding wellla. Though Ameachi is working in some areas but not all yet.

I know you are naturally silly, but don't you think it is going too far to compare minor events in PH to the absolute fuckry we see in Ibadan every couple of months?
Abeg, face your front.

Tell us when either PH or Warri flooded to the extent that the people had to beg GEJ to come and visit; yet these are riverine towns to the core, both being swamplands that are only a stonesthrow from the ocean too. If you cannot provide pics from Warri and PH that are similar to the ones below, then you need to shut the phuck up and accept thet there is a dramatic failure of govt in Oyo.

The way it is these days, if you live in Ibadan, you can almost swim and catch fish in your own house. angry angry angry

Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Dainfamous: 11:23pm On Jul 16, 2012
benzion72: Somebody mention Apete. I leave in Apete and it has being a tough work getting in and out of Apete. The Oyo State Government award the construction of the new bridge without a single motorable access road to the people of the community.The worst part is that the contractor Messers KPB lack the capacity and where withal to execute this project. The governor really disappointed all of us ACN government like that of Lagos and Edo are know for solid and quality work. Not awarding major contract to newbie who does not have any machine. There are only two machine on site and they were hired they obsolete machine that are being weld severally in a day and they will be sourcing for welder within Apete who willcollect stipend. They use Dangote cement instead of mortal that solidified in the presence of water. Ajimobineed to borrow brain from Lagos and Edo state and stop all this rubbish
sad!sad!sad!
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Dainfamous: 11:33pm On Jul 16, 2012
Beaf: ^
Picturesuuuuu! I demand pictures muthaphucker!
Admit that the Oyo state govt is a failure.

I know you are naturally silly, but don't you think it is going too far to compare minor events in PH to the absolute fuckry we see in Ibadan every couple of months?
Abeg, face your front.

Tell us when either PH or Warri flooded to the extent that the people had to beg GEJ to come and visit; yet these are riverine towns to the core, both being swamplands that are only a stonesthrow from the ocean too. If you cannot provide pics from Warri and PH that are similar to the ones below, then you need to shut the phuck up and accept thet there is a dramatic failure of govt in Oyo.

The way it is these days, if you live in Ibadan, you can almost swim and catch fish in your own house. angry angry angry

grin grin grin grin
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by sultaan(m): 12:20am On Jul 17, 2012
SPIDER90: The problem with an average Nigerian is that we are not sincere and objective in our reasoning. There is always something beclouding our sense of judgment deliberately,it is either, he is from tribe,religion, local govt or town. Despite all the noise made by ACN about good governance on pages of newspapers and what we now discovered to be a cheap blackmail, we can authoritatively say that there is no difference btw PDP and ACN or any other party in nigeria. For us living in Ibadan( I lives in Eleyele) we can not see any diff btw Akala & Ajimobi imo the former is better, but most of u internet and ACN apologists u can continue on the defence of this man that was not prepare for this herculean task, this issue goes beyond flooding.

Which on is Apete bridge?

Is that the one between poly high school and customs barrack(I grew up in that area went to PHS)

Had to use google earth,I don't even remember the bridge last time I was in Apete(very long time ago), I did walk to the last curve look straight down between the trees and turn right back(before road was tared(very good memories)

For those who don't know a lot of houses were built in flood zones, it only takes a couple of people to dump garbage at any of the bridges to cause a major back up upstream. there are 3 streams btwn Ijokodo and Apete fed by water running through the city.

Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by oremiti: 5:18am On Jul 17, 2012
please do not wast your time click my signature to join the best business in the world
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by seunlayi(m): 7:23am On Jul 17, 2012
We have great comments here, but i must tell u all, the situation we have here in Oyo state can be placed on the government of Ajimobi. We should obsearved in this thread that almost all people that coment on the situation on ground are putting blame on the govt
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 17, 2012
Left to me they should just tear down the entire city of Ibadan and rebuild from scratch.

If ever a city was a dump in Nigeria, it's Ibadan.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Demdem(m): 7:43am On Jul 17, 2012
Beaf: ^

Abeg, face your front.

Accursed, ur inconsistencies is alarming but am not bothered because someone that earns his livelihood on lies can never be consistent. U lied and said the below:

Beaf:

Crap.

and as usual, i corrected u with this:

Demdem:

Agreed to a large extent in some areas it cant be compared to the one in Ibadan (consider that PH's proximity to the ocean where all discharges can easily flow to unlike Ibadan) but it doesnt change the fact that Flooding is still a major problem here in PH which u lied about earlier. Accept and lets move forward.

My position on Ibaban still remain unshaken

Demdem:

Agreed, the problem didnt originate from him, however what has he done so far for these re-occuring floods. we all know there are floods also in lagos and the efforts fashola and his commissioners are putting in but for Oyo things seems to be quiet of recent. the governor and his people should come out and educate us on what he has done so far and what he is currently doing. The problem simply cant vanish in a day, its a process that must commence somehow.

forget bleaching Akala, he is gone for good. Lets hold these current ones accountable for now.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Pukkah: 9:13am On Jul 17, 2012
Beaf:

Forget that long bullshiit. Can you show us a single picture from either Warri or PH in which houses are swimming like they regularly do in Ibadan?
Its totally stup!d to publish minor events in comparison to the disasters that regularly occur in Ibadan. I expect toad-like answers from dishonest people like you anyway.

I want to know why Ibadan is flood prone, whereas towns and cities in the Niger Delta are not. Simple as.
Don't you even feel deep shame that an upland town like Ibadan calls for relief and aid every few months, while ND towns don't? Lagos at least has an excuse, what the phuck is the excuse for Ibadan?

Quite clearly, the Oyo state govt is a failure.

Must you curse? Must you throw insults? Have you totally lost the capacity to engage in decent arguments and discussions? I think you urgently need to see a psychologist.

I guess it's my fault afterall, for trying to decently engage an irretrievably-biased, frequently-lampooned, and roundly-discredited mercenary. It is below dignity and self-respect to argue with a mere paid agent and an adult who makes ends meet by licking the stinking boots of another CLUELESS adult.

Pray, what manner of decency does one expect from a full-grown, able-bodied but insolent adult who unabashedly tar others with insults just so that he can shamelessly and remorselessly defend the tardy policies of a RE.TARDED principal? You're swimming in ignominy yet you're grinning shamelessly.

Continue to wallow in your unholy trade of peddling lies and selling untruths in exchange for a few naira notes while the useful part of your life burns on. I wish you the kind of luck that inevitably awaits ALL those who do so. Those who sow the wind ALWAYS reap the whirlwind.

I'm out. I have no time for nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by enioladeran: 10:30am On Jul 17, 2012
I really feel for the victims
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by kodewrita(m): 11:04am On Jul 17, 2012
Pukkah:

Must you curse? Must you throw insults? Have you totally lost the capacity to engage in decent arguments and discussions? I think you urgently need to see a psychologist.

I guess it's my fault afterall, for trying to decently engage an irretrievably-biased, frequently-lampooned, and roundly-discredited mercenary. It is below dignity and self-respect to argue with a mere paid agent and an adult who makes ends meet by licking the stinking boots of another CLUELESS adult.

Pray, what manner of decency does one expect from a full-grown, able-bodied but insolent adult who unabashedly tar others with insults just so that he can shamelessly and remorselessly defend the tardy policies of a RETARDED principal? You're swimming in ignominy yet you're grinning shamelessly.

Continue to wallow in your unholy trade of peddling lies and selling untruths in exchange for a few naira notes while the useful part of your life burns on. I wish you the kind of luck that inevitably awaits ALL those who do so. Those who sow the wind ALWAYS reap the whirlwind.

I'm out. I have no time for nonsense.

You sir, deserve a Pullitzer award for succinct, straightforward, from-the-heart, sharp-shooting commentary.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Pukkah: 1:26pm On Jul 17, 2012
kodewrita:

You sir, deserve a Pullitzer award for succinct, straightforward, from-the-heart, sharp-shooting commentary.

Thank you sir. I did warn him twice about the need to keep the discussion decent but it's obvious that a leopard cannot change its spots.

Indeed, the world of robotic minions, remote-controlled lackeys, and unthinking hangers-on is miserable and unenviable. It is neither for the noble nor the self-respecting. Ask him what he does for a living. He lives off the hands of his fellow man/men through outright lies and manipulation, endless 'photo-shopping', unparalleled flattery, and unbridled sycophancy. A man whose dignity is intact should know where to draw the line but it's obvious that it is not so for him. Curiously, this character had the temerity, effrontery, and audacity to label another poster as 'dishonest'!

He is online for virtually 24 hours a day, putting forward obtuse arguments, blatant lies and dirty shenanigans. How come he has soooooooooo much time for rubbish and inanities? When all his cheap and predictable antics fail, he resorts to red herrings and/or character assassination and personal attacks. Is this type of life worthy of emulation?
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Kobojunkie: 1:39pm On Jul 17, 2012
yemmight:

For a long time that i have known you here, you way has always been upside down, so i am used to it. Sometimes i wonder if you walk using your head. Even battling drainage since Tinubu era has not resolved the problem but WIP. So for you, one year is enough to handle drainage in a State like Oyo? i dont even know the planet you presently occupying but if you are close to your homeland, you should be precise in reasoning. I was in Ibadan last weekend and i can clearly see the difference btw Kobojunkle, Akala and Ajimobi. Two weekends ago, I was also in Ogun State and i saw massive construction of road network with good drainage and i can easily compare Kobojunkle, Gbenga Daniel and Amosun.

See stupidity? So now you want to compare Oyo state with Lagos, worse Lagos 's number one WORST performing Governor who managed to sit tight doing nothing for 8 years while dindirins like your person praised him and claimed he was busy "PLANNING"? What this does is clearly show you are probably operating with less than half a brain there.

How can anyone in his right senses do that? Ofcourse with your capacity there is it near impossible for you or anyone who thinks as you do to imagine how these problems could be solved in a year? You claim it has to do with trash . . . how long does it take to pick up trash and clear gutters assuming they even exist? 20 years?? How long does it take to build at least 20 miles of drainage in a city like Ibadan? Let me guess you believe it will take 20 years?? Gosh!!! the more the years pass . . . the more infuriating the brain-farts you folk emit come off.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by karlmax2: 4:39pm On Jul 17, 2012
http://thestreetjournal.org/2012/07/“legislooters”-at-work-oyo-assembly-members-wives-go-on-london-jamboree/

Meanwhile the house of rep just sent their wives for a jamboree in london!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oluyemi Adeniji Dies At 83 / When Abakaliki Children Saw A White Girl For The First Time This Happened! / Yobe North Adopts Buhari, Lawan As Consensus Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.