Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good (4149 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by bittyend(m): 10:37pm On Jul 15, 2012
IMO - tribalism is good. It’s only bad when you are not part of the beneficiaries.

Tribalism is a method of social organization that has worked for humans for 200,000 years. It is a social structure and does not imply anything about the levels of technology or material wealth or luxuries within that society. It is not about being "primitive" or about living in voluntary simplicity; it is merely a way of organizing ourselves. Our culture is blind to the benefits of this structure because we are conditioned to see the world as hierarchical city/state = good and decentralized non-hierarchical communities = bad.

People employing the hierarchical social model have been experimenting with human social structure. This experiment is 10,000 years old and has now shown itself to be a complete failure. The indigenous model is also an experiment. But it is a 200,000 year old experiment that has proven itself to work. As we look to the future and wonder how the human race will continue amidst the destruction our culture has caused, we should look to our ancestors and see what lessons we can learn from how they lived.

We are taught to detest indigenous people but in fact their lifestyle was highly successful. It wasn't perfect and I'm not idealizing it, but it was a viable way for humans to live. As our way of life has brought the world to the brink in a short space of time, it would do us good to look to our ancestors and understand how they managed to live in accord with the world.

http://www.deep-ecology-hub.com/tribalism.html

Since tribalism = strong in-group loyalty. I will always be a proud practitioner of tribalism.
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by bittyend(m): 10:38pm On Jul 15, 2012
Mods, leave this thread here. It's a cultural thread.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by bittyend(m): 10:41pm On Jul 15, 2012
Imagine being from a great culture like yoruba which achieved a lot, and some clowns want me to drop that for an underachieving Nigerian identity. Tribalism is a way of life I admire, and I shall continue to be a tribalism stud.

Tribalism hall of fame.
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:31am On Jul 17, 2012
WOW i admire your spirit brother. Tribalism also brings about the god and evil within us into this forum. grin
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by Ptolomeus(m): 5:31pm On Jul 17, 2012
I totally agree with the contents of the article.
Thank you very much brother Pagan.
The structure tribalist emphasized values ​​such as honesty, social group, the value of truth, respect for ancestors and so on. etc. Westerners who have been commissioned to destroy demonizing.
In a world where lying is considered a form of life, human life loses its value against the money, tribalism again an exemplary option on the worth, at least informed.
Very good article!

My respects to all!

1 Like

Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by ifyalways(f): 7:42pm On Jul 17, 2012
I see nothing wrong in being proud of who are,where you come from.it takes a brand new dimension,disgusting if I may add,when one looks down,pull down or bad mouth other tribes just to prove a point or feel good about him or her self.
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:04pm On Jul 17, 2012
^^^^^^^^^
yes that is the best part. then a fire ignites within members of the other tribe and they form a brotherhood to counterargue. these people must have never even seen each other in their life yet the bonding-spirit remains.
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by Ptolomeus(m): 10:42pm On Jul 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
^^^^^^^^^
yes that is the best part. then a fire ignites within members of the other tribe and they form a brotherhood to counterargue. these people must have never even seen each other in their life yet the bonding-spirit remains.

Nice one friend Pagan!
Uniting, always uniting...
Counting!
(My English is improving!)
A hug!
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by odumchi: 11:25pm On Jul 19, 2012
Interesting topic. Maybe the use of "tribalism" within the document should be substituted with other words such as "chauvanism", "ethnocentrism", or "nationalism".

In Africa, "tribalism" is synonymous with "racism".
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by ChinenyeN(m): 11:30pm On Jul 19, 2012
odumchi: Interesting topic. Maybe the use of "tribalism" within the document should be substituted with other words such as "chauvanism", "ethnocentrism", or "nationalism".

In Africa, "tribalism" is synonymous with "racism".
That is the new definition by people who want to propagate Pan-Africanist ideologies.
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:31pm On Jul 19, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^that is unfortunately true. im planning to invent a new word for such feelings.

Thank You Ptolemus. wink
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by kittykat1(f): 11:38pm On Jul 19, 2012
Ur character is bcoming boring OP. Try to be more creative.
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by odumchi: 11:46pm On Jul 19, 2012
ChinenyeN:
That is the new definition by people who want to propagate Pan-Africanist ideologies.

I don't understand. Could you please explain?
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:00am On Jul 20, 2012
btw my previous message was meant for Odumchi bu it seems me and ChinenyeN post at the same time.tongue
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by ezeagu(m): 12:05am On Jul 20, 2012
odumchi:

I don't understand. Could you please explain?

Pan Africanists believe that everybody in Africa is equal to one nation, as in everybody should be united just like a single tribe. Tribalism goes against their ideals because it is the original way of how African (or even any other) peoples lived and still live, which is independently as thousands of tribes, 'clans', village groups, kingdoms, empires, and states.

When you don't want this type of a "unified Africa" (or even unified former-colonial states like Nigeria) you are labelled a "neo-colonialist" , such as by Pan-African figure heads like Kwame Nkrumah.
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by ezeagu(m): 12:10am On Jul 20, 2012
ifyalways: I see nothing wrong in being proud of who are,where you come from.it takes a brand new dimension,disgusting if I may add,when one looks down,pull down or bad mouth other tribes just to prove a point or feel good about him or her self.

I agree. I believe that the general tension and the animosity between ethnic groups should not be ignored like in the case of Nigeria where people look at you like a troublemaker when you talk about obvious ethnocentrism.
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by odumchi: 12:15am On Jul 20, 2012
ezeagu:

Pan Africanists believe that everybody in Africa is equal to one nation, as in everybody should be united just like a single tribe. Tribalism goes against their ideals because it is the original way of how African (or even any other) peoples lived and still live, which is independently as thousands of tribes, 'clans', village groups, kingdoms, empires, and states.

When you don't want this type of a "unified Africa" (or even unified former-colonial states like Nigeria) you are labelled a "neo-colonialist" , such as by Pan-African figure heads like Kwame Nkrumah.

Ah, I now see. Thanks for the explanation.

It's unfortunate but true. Such ideology is even present here on Nairaland. I'm beginning to see this document through a new perspective.
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:17am On Jul 20, 2012
ezeagu:

oh so i just realised i am not a Pan-Africanist. i seem to make new enemies every hour of my life. .[
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by ChinenyeN(m): 12:20am On Jul 20, 2012
odumchi: I don't understand. Could you please explain?
Every social movement looks to validate itself, and they do this by redefining previous ideologies. This typically involves creating "bigots" out of those who subscribed to those prior ideologies.

Gays have "homophobia". Blacks have "racism". Pan-Igboists have "clannishness". Pan-Africanists have "tribalism", etc.

EDIT: Just saw Ezeagu's explanation. He explained it well and more personably than I would have opted to.
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by ezeagu(m): 12:55am On Jul 20, 2012
Christians have all of the above.

It's not surprising that Pan Africanism is a concept from the Americas, just like "black" itself and the Ancient Egypt bias.

2 Likes

Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by ChinenyeN(m): 1:07am On Jul 20, 2012
ezeagu: Christians have all of the above.

It's not surprising that Pan Africanism is a concept from the Americas, just like "black" itself and the Ancient Egypt bias.
Very true.
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by tpia5: 4:56am On Jul 20, 2012
pan africanism does not make sense, imo.

blacks have different loyalties to different non-black races, and pretending this fact is non-existent gets nobody anywhere.

1 Like

Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by Ptolomeus(m): 5:20pm On Jul 20, 2012
When I joined the forum, I knew the African phenomenon is very unique. I always imagined what it would resort to an ethnic group (any), forget the old historic feuds with other groups, but also overcome the divisions imposed by colonization, and also the consequences of the Berlin agreement.
It is very difficult for one ethnic group happens to be divided into four or more countries, along with other groups (enemies above) under the same flag. The reality of Africa is possibly the most complex in the world.
If we compare the persecution of Jews and Gypsies in World War II, understand that a Jew (though persecuted) remains faithful to Jewish traditions. The same applies to the gypsies. however, the settlers have taken great care to the blurring of identity in Africa.
When I see the discussions in different threads, about whether a clan or does not belong to a particular group ... I am constantly amazed on the great questions of identity that Africa has inherited. Alarmingly, rejection and the belligerence of some groups to others ...
however, I feel that all Africa has a common past, and should have a common future, overcoming minor differences and petty.
I hope I have not offended anyone.
My warm greetings to all!
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:10pm On Jul 20, 2012

yes very true.
Re: Why Cultural Tribalism Is Good by anonymous6(f): 2:31pm On Jul 21, 2012

True

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSYpAD5iipc

(1) (Reply)

The Woman On 20 Naira Note:::::::::::::::::::::::::: / Tribal Marks? Now, It's The Turn Of Tattoos / Igbo Men Casual Attire?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.