Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,036 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! (1488 Views)

Probing Ex-president Jonathan Will Be Bad Precedent — PDP / Army Recall Of Dismissed Solders: Buhari And APC Setting Dangerous Precedent / The Real Dangers Of What APC Is Cooking - A Dangerous Precedent Could Be Set (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by Obiagu1(m): 4:23pm On Jul 16, 2012
The Special Task Force (STF) in Jos under the command of Maj-General Henry Ayoola yesterday issued an order of evacuation within 48 hrs to a number of Fulani dominated towns in Barikin Ladi and Riyom Local Government Areas for a military operation that will commence there, otherwise, their lives cannot be guaranteed. The STF statement read:

RESTRICTED

1. This is to inform the people residing in Barikin Ladi and Riyom Local Government Areas that a military operation is ongoing in the area. The inhabitants of Mahanga, Kakuruk, Kuzen, Maseh and Shong 2 are to evacuate immediately with their property within the next 48hrs.
2. Meanwhile, residents of Kura Falls, Kuzuk and Sharuk Rim of Gashish and Bachit districts respectively are enjoined not to panic and to be careful of their movement within the area and avoid places of military operation until further notice. People are enjoined to report any suspicious movement and activities in their areas.

3.You are please requested to use your medium to disseminate this information to the general pubic. It is to be announced routinely throughout the period of the operation in order to avoid any hazard to human lives and property.

Salisu Mustapha (Captain)
Media Information Officer
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by Obiagu1(m): 4:26pm On Jul 16, 2012
With the quit notice to the Fulanis in certain communities by the STF, we are setting a very dangerous precedent that no one could control if it gets out of hand.
Firstly, it's against the constitution, secondly it could be exploited.
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by Obiagu1(m): 4:53pm On Jul 16, 2012
This could take different forms. Either the settlers or the indigenous people could be the aggressors but what happens when the settlers get the upper hand in the fight? Will they be asked to vacate and abandon their properties and investments in favour of the indigenous people even if the indigenous people were the aggressors?

What happens when the indigenous people are the aggressors and have the upper hand in the fight, who will be asked to vacate?

We shouldn't start what we can't control.
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by lagcity(m): 8:45pm On Jul 16, 2012
You are right. In the South, we have the Ijaw/Bini situation and some other situations. We need to be very careful.
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by Gbawe: 8:58pm On Jul 16, 2012
Obiagu1: With the quit notice to the Fulanis in certain communities by the STF, we are setting a very dangerous precedence that no one could control if it gets out of hand.
Firstly, it's against the constitution, secondly it could be exploited.

I certainly agree. Inaction, upon inaction, has led to this. A very dangerous precedence indeed.
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by Chyz2: 8:59pm On Jul 16, 2012
Obiagu1: This could take different forms. Either the settlers or the indigenous people could be the aggressors but what happens when the settlers get the upper hand in the fight? Will they be asked to vacate and abandon their properties and investments in favour of the indigenous people even if the indigenous people were the aggressors?

What happens when the indigenous people are the aggressors and have the upper hand in the fight, who will be asked to vacate?

We shouldn't start what we can't control.

It's only happening because they killed senators.Now, had the fulanis not been known to cause trouble and murder their host communities all over nigeria i doubt things would have been like this. It is just a consequences of their past and present actions that they refuse to give up.
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by Gbawe: 9:14pm On Jul 16, 2012
Chyz*:

[b]It's only happening because they killed senators.[/b]Now, had the fulanis not been known to cause trouble and murder their host communities all over nigeria i doubt things would have been like this. It is just a consequences of their past and present actions that they refuse to give up.

For whatever reason it happened, Obiagu1 is right to note that this can be exploited malevolently.
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by Obiagu1(m): 9:35pm On Jul 16, 2012
Chyz*:

It's only happening because they killed senators.Now, had the fulanis not been known to cause trouble and murder their host communities all over nigeria i doubt things would have been like this. It is just a consequences of their past and present actions that they refuse to give up.

It's a fight between two peoples, simple. The whole blame is on the government and the security agencies for their failure to arrest and prosecute trouble makers according to the law.
Even if the Fulanis are known trouble makers, it's still not a reason to sack a whole community, settlers or indigenous. It's the job of the security agencies to secure the life and properties of everyone without bias.

1 Like

Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by Onlytruth(m): 11:53pm On Jul 16, 2012
I don't really agree with the logic behind the Ops point because there is an ON GOING Fulani vs everyone else war in different parts of Nigeria. It is even disingenuous to compare Fulani with other settler groups in different parts of Nigeria. undecided

For years, Hausa vandals in the North and "Alaye" boys in Lagos have pillaged Igbo businesses and shops with Igbo only fighting back when they are INDIVIDUALLY (personally) threatened or killed.
That is not the same with Fulani who would attack and sack whole villages simply because ONE COW is killed by a villager. The story is the same in different part of Nigeria, from North to South to East to West.
What the Nigerian government is doing here is what I call "doctrine of necessity". cool

If all it takes to pacify and bring the Fulani under the control of Nigerian laws is this action, then I say FULL SPEED AHEAD FOLKS. cool cool cool

3 Likes

Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by Onlytruth(m): 12:05am On Jul 17, 2012
Secondly, in all my reading of Nigerian history, I have never seen a Fulani lament the plight of Igbo who are forced to relocate to the East, even if they are being bombed or massacred, the fulani (from the most educated to the cow men) NEVER feel other people's pain and NEVER prognosticate a scenario where they are on the receiving end. Why should an Igbo person prognosticate a scenario that would NEVER- if followed logically- place us side by side these Fulani murderous group? We tend to dissipate our energies on things that can NEVER be our business while abandoning our own business.

2 Likes

Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by nduchucks: 12:06am On Jul 17, 2012
Onlytruth:

If all it takes to pacify and bring the Fulani under the control of Nigerian laws is this action, then I say FULL SPEED AHEAD FOLKS. cool cool cool

Foolish Eze prescribing lawless,unconstitutional, and senseless military action to bring law abiding villagers under the control of Nigerian laws. SMH at turning logic upsidedown.
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by Onlytruth(m): 12:16am On Jul 17, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Foolish Eze prescribing lawless,unconstitutional, and senseless military action to bring law abiding villagers under the control of Nigerian laws. SMH at turning logic upsidedown.

So, how else would the government bring the murdering tribe to compliance with the Nigerian laws?
Are Fulani the only settler group in Nigeria?

Your duplicity is rising to unprecedented levels these days.
You are one of the people urging the Nigerian security to shoot UNARMED MASSOB members, but you would take a contrary view when it comes to a group that is virtually at war with almost every host community in Nigeria.

My friend there is a level to which a human can descend in fatuity and still remain a human.
Stop descending!
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by Obiagu1(m): 12:28am On Jul 17, 2012
Onlytruth: I don't really agree with the logic behind the Ops point because there is an ON GOING Fulani vs everyone else war in different parts of Nigeria. It is even disingenuous to compare Fulani with other settler groups in different parts of Nigeria. undecided

For years, Hausa vandals in the North and "Alaye" boys in Lagos have pillaged Igbo businesses and shops with Igbo only fighting back when they are INDIVIDUALLY (personally) threatened or killed.
That is not the same with Fulani who would attack and sack whole villages simply because ONE COW is killed by a villager. The story is the same in different part of Nigeria, from North to South to East to West.
What the Nigerian government is doing here is what I call "doctrine of necessity". cool

I completely disagree with you. We can't take the back door or like you said "doctrine of necessity" to solve social issues. First of all, Nigeria has a constitution and every Nigerian has the right to reside wherever he chooses without fear. It's incessant failure of the government to resolve the issue that's the problem not the Fulanis. Fulanis need grazing lands, farmers need farmlands. It's not beyond the government to forbid Fulanis from grazing in certain areas, but they should be provided by law where to graze legally.

Good you brought up Hausa vandals in the North, Alayes in Lagos and Igbos. Just a simple scenario to put this straight. Assuming the Hausa vandals continue pillaging Igbo businesses in the North and the Igbos decide that enough is enough and decide to even initiate the first attack without waiting to be attacked first. What happens when the situation gets out of control like it is in Jos and the Igbos hitting the Hausas really bad? Will the Igbos be sacked from the North? Should the Igbos always wait to be killed first before they attack because they are settlers or mugus?

As an Igbo, I am worried because this is a very dangerous precedent. Our government should do their job. How many killers have they arrested and prosecuted?
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by Onlytruth(m): 12:40am On Jul 17, 2012
Obiagu1:

I completely disagree with you. We can't take the back door or like you said "doctrine of necessity" to solve social issues. First of all, Nigeria has a constitution and every Nigerian has the right to reside wherever he chooses without fear. It's incessant failure of the government to resolve the issue that's the problem not the Fulanis. Fulanis need grassing lands, farmers need farmlands. It's not beyond the government to forbid Fulanis from grassing in certain areas, but they should be provided by law where to grass legally.

Good you brought up Hausa vandals in the North, Alayes in Lagos and Igbos. Just a simple scenario to put this straight, assuming the Hausa vandals continue pillaging Igbo businesses in the North and the Igbos decides that enough is enough and decides to even initiate the first attack without waiting to be attacked first. What happens when the situation gets out of control like it is in Jos and the Igbos hitting the Hausas really bad? Will the Igbos be sacked from the North? Should the Igbos always wait to be killed first before they attack because they are settlers or mugus?

As an Igbo, this is a very dangerous precedence. Our government should do their job. How many killers have they arrested and prosecuted?

Theoretically you are right that the government is not doing enough, but practically, this may be one of the FEW options left to the government. Remember that Nigerian constitution did not recognise "Acting President", but the "doctrine of necessity" was enacted by congress to allow that position which is how we got to where we are today.
All I know is that I cannot count the number of times Igbo have had to relocate from the North, from 1945 till date. The Nigerian government sometimes order shoot at sights to calm the situation (BTW I don't agree with that tactic), but that is what they do. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. As I write this, my brother in law (who is a medical doctor at ABUTH) is holed up at home in Kaduna unable to go to work or even move to the East.
That is Nigeria. It was like that in the 50, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s.
The Fulani should learn how to live in peace and how to take losses. We have been doing that since time immemorial in Nigeria. It is part of our own sacrifices to be Nigerians. The Fulani's sacrifice may be in the form of forced relocation. Nigeria would not be the first country to do that.
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by DisGuy: 12:46am On Jul 17, 2012
Onlytruth: I don't really agree with the logic behind the Ops point because there is an ON GOING Fulani vs everyone else war in different parts of Nigeria. It is even disingenuous to compare Fulani with other settler groups in different parts of Nigeria. undecided

the more reason why the Op is right!! The media has made it a everyone vs the fulanis, same way every bomb and security breach is labelled boko haram dis and dat! The people are losing focus, the Fg is hiding it's incompetency simple as! are the fulanis/herdmen not nigerian? how do you have one law for nigerians and anotherl aw for fulanis? up til date the security agent cant actually come up with any policy to prevent the recurring attacks by herdsmen on farmers, they've not been able to arrest anyone after these arrests and for the love of god how did the media and police conclude those that attack villager in military gear, sophisticated ammunitions are herdsmen; no arrest no background just made up hear say- it very easy for the givt to just label things they dont understand so everyone just carry on and wait for the next massacre
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by nduchucks: 12:49am On Jul 17, 2012
Onlytruth:

So, how else would the government bring the murdering tribe to compliance with the Nigerian laws?

The bolded exposes your bigotry, tribalism, and racism. You should hide your face in shame. ewu can bia

You are one of the people urging the Nigerian security to shoot UNARMED MASSOB members, but you would take a contrary view when it comes to a group that is virtually at war with almost every host community in Nigeria.

I challenge you to provide a link to the post(s) where I urged the shooting of unarmed MASSOB members. Be man enough to tender an apology if you can't find a single post.

Eze m, when did you start telling intentional lies? I can pardon you for telling them because of lack of correct information and ignorance, but this new technique of yours is dispicable.
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by dayokanu(m): 12:55am On Jul 17, 2012
I am impressed that Obiagu has a brain that he can use once in a while.

The point is that we have set a precedent. What happens when Ife vs Modakeke starts again? Does that mean we would relocate Modakeke people? what of Ijaw vs Urhobo vs Itshekiri, Umuleri vs Aguleri

There must be a better way of resolving this cos by and large if we dig back, all of us are immigrants to wherever we call home now.

Now its Fulani, we are turning our eyes to one side, One day it might become Ibos in Kano, Yorubas in Portharcourt, Ibos in Lagos, Benin in Delta etc.

This solution might fix the issue momentarily but I don think its a sustainable strategy
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by nduchucks: 12:56am On Jul 17, 2012
Obiagu1:

I completely disagree with you. We can't take the back door or like you said "doctrine of necessity" to solve social issues. First of all, Nigeria has a constitution and every Nigerian has the right to reside wherever he chooses without fear. It's incessant failure of the government to resolve the issue that's the problem not the Fulanis. Fulanis need grazing lands, farmers need farmlands. It's not beyond the government to forbid Fulanis from grazing in certain areas, but they should be provided by law where to graze legally.

Good you brought up Hausa vandals in the North, Alayes in Lagos and Igbos. Just a simple scenario to put this straight. Assuming the Hausa vandals continue pillaging Igbo businesses in the North and the Igbos decide that enough is enough and decide to even initiate the first attack without waiting to be attacked first. What happens when the situation gets out of control like it is in Jos and the Igbos hitting the Hausas really bad? Will the Igbos be sacked from the North? Should the Igbos always wait to be killed first before they attack because they are settlers or mugus?

As an Igbo, I am worried because this is a very dangerous precedence. Our government should do their job. How many killers have they arrested and prosecuted?

^^^+100

These is the kind of mindset which will set Ndigbo free. nwanne m, I applaud your wisdom.
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by jmaine: 1:10am On Jul 17, 2012
The service chiefs of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the defense ministry insist that it isn't any witch hunting expedition . . .They are set to handle a severe security breach and inter boundary mercenaries that may incur huge collateral damage and they are trying to avoid that . . They specifically cited alien foreign incursions largely blamed for last weekend blood bath and if not quarantined, may affect other states . . .

Please let the Military handle this issues as they deem it fit with regards to our terrain and challenges at the moment. . .
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by nduchucks: 1:17am On Jul 17, 2012
jmaine: The service chiefs of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the defense ministry insist that it isn't any witch hunting expedition . . .They are set to handle a severe security breach and inter boundary mercenaries that may incur huge collateral damage and they are trying to avoid that . . They specifically cited alien foreign incursions largely blamed for last weekend blood bath and if not quarantined, may affect other states . . .

Please let the Military handle this issues as they deem it fit with regards to our terrain and challenges at the moment. . .

If indeed you have foreign fighters in those villages, then the army has goofed already. Why wouldn't these foreign trouble makers blend with the villagers and escape during this evacuation? Additionally, what prevents them from holding villagers as hostages and human shields?

man mi, the strategy is senseless
Re: A Very Dangerous Precedent Is Being Set In Nigeria, Be Warned! by Obiagu1(m): 1:37am On Jul 17, 2012
If our government lacks ideas on how to resolve the issue, there are many ways to reduce the frequent Fulani clashes in Nigeria.
My own suggestion is:
1. They should relocate most of the soldiers from barracks in Enugu, Ibadan, and Zaria to Plateau to contain the situation for as long as possible. Enough army presence is required.
2. Set up a committee with state governments' involvement to allocate the Fulanis grazing routes from North to South and forbid them from grazing elsewhere.
3. Set up special police or rangers posts that are within certain radius of each other, maybe 2-3 hrs, to monitor violators along the routes.
4. Forbid farmers from ever killing Fulani cattle even if they graze on their farmland, rather they should report such to the rangers, who will be provided with a direct line, to track down those herdsmen.
5. Punishment should include either heavy fines, seizure of the cattle or jail term.
6. Money from fines will be used to compensate the farmers/herdsmen who are victims.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Warning To Igbo Nation! / A Transcript Of The Speech Of Dr. Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-iweala, Honourable Minister / Fresh Plot Against Gov Amechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.