Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,820 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students (10651 Views)

Universities Of Technology Gets NUC Approval To Offer Dental Technology / UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students / UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by miteolu(m): 1:21pm On Jul 18, 2012
AWKA – Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka has applied to the National Universities Commission, NUC, for approval to admit about 9,000 fresh students in the next academic session .

Vice-Chancellor of the university, Prof Boniface Egboka, at a briefing described as pitiable, a situation where out of over 80,000 candidates who participated in the post-UTME and were qualified to gain admission, only about 3,700 would be admitted.

According to him, the institution had been following strictly the admission guidelines of 60:40 for science and arts courses as directed by the Federal Government, as well as the stipulated percentages for merit, catchment and disadvantaged areas, but insisted that there was need to give the youths who desire tertiary education more opportunities.

Using the faculties of medicine and law as examples, Egboka said out of the 2,000 candidates that scored up to 291 in the matriculation examination and were qualified to study medicine and surgery, only 100 would make it, while only 180 students would be admitted for law out of 3000 that scored above 280.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/unizik-seeks-nucs-approval-to-admit-more-students/
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by SOUTHSOUTH1: 4:48pm On Jul 18, 2012
Out of 80,000 only 3,700 will be admitted!! this is pathetic.. shocked shocked shocked
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by aryzgreat: 4:51pm On Jul 18, 2012
abeg NUC allow my people who love education to be admitted, must there be quota in every thing? imagine scoring 291 but not admitted to ur dream course while an aboki with 198 will be studying medicine. na waa ooooooo! Ds is day light cheating!

4 Likes

Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by inspirenet: 5:00pm On Jul 18, 2012
SOUTH SOUTH: Out of 80,000 only 3,700 will be admitted!! this is pathetic.. shocked shocked shocked

smiley
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by jennyb2: 5:01pm On Jul 18, 2012
very pathetic!
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by Bobbystanley(m): 5:02pm On Jul 18, 2012
Dat means dia is no admission for me dis year @ Unizik...i scored 236 in jamb and 59% in post ume..i did apply for law too.
All attention now focused on Imsu..God plss help me ooo
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by manitobor(m): 5:03pm On Jul 18, 2012
Not really a matter of admitting more students, its more a matter of making sure that there are enough facilities educational facilities to take on more students. As it is now some of the basic necessities in the school are in short supply, overcrowded lecture halls etc. More universities of international standard need to be built by the federal, state and private individuals so that more of the vast number of people who apply on a yearly basis will have the opportunity of acquiring qualitative education.
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by Funkymallam(m): 5:05pm On Jul 18, 2012
Na wa o
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by Standing5(m): 5:06pm On Jul 18, 2012
The big and sensible question here should be, do they really need to admit 9000 students for the sake engaging more people or give 3700 hundred people quality education? Our problem in this country and by extension continent is not quantity but quality. A VC like this needs to be re-evaluated, the man doesn't seem fit to run a school of that magnitude.From his statement it is clear why must public schools are overpopulated. They see prospective students as source of money.

2 Likes

Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by RIchibabe(f): 5:07pm On Jul 18, 2012
Bobbystanley: Dat means dia is no admission for me dis year @ Unizik...i scored 236 in jamb and 59% in post ume..i did apply for law too.
God is in Control ok, don't panic just believe in God, for with him ANYTHING is POSSIBLE.
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by Afam4eva(m): 5:13pm On Jul 18, 2012
It is sad. But we have to know if there's actually space to contain more people.
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by Bobbystanley(m): 5:14pm On Jul 18, 2012
RIchibabe: God is in Control ok, don't panic just believe in God, for with him ANYTHING is POSSIBLE.

tanx very much
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by miteolu(m): 5:19pm On Jul 18, 2012
This kind of situation gives room to private universities to increase day in day out like nursery schools
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by Afam4eva(m): 5:20pm On Jul 18, 2012
miteolu: This kind of situation gives room to private universities to increase day in day out like nursery schools
Affordability is another thing.
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by miteolu(m): 5:31pm On Jul 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Affordability is another thing.

Nigerians are desperate for education but they are denied by various circumstance. After passing UTME & post UTME now there is no space for admission.
This is frustrating and it kills morale
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by Ugoduru(m): 5:45pm On Jul 18, 2012
The cut of cash for law @unizik is 250k, medicine is 300k. Forget about that cut of mark of a thing,God pls help me in tomorrow exam.
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by ujchief(m): 5:45pm On Jul 18, 2012
Thats the dilema most versities face now. They're forced to drop students who are also qualified to enroll.
Unizik vc is right, and has grounds to seek for more quota to admit students based on availability of qualified lecturers and up to date lab and lecture halls at unizik.
Better stil, schools should be allowed to admit students per semester, while those admited later can use the long vac to do a summer class and still meet up wit the rest.
After banning the part-time programs that provide alternative admision opurtunity for students, it is understandable why the vc is advocating for more quota.
Else, we should scrap the 'educationally less priviledged' bul.l.sh.i.t that lets an aboki from Borno state to gain an admission over someone from imo that scored higher in both ume and post ume. Its time to level the playin ground.
My 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by ujchief(m): 5:53pm On Jul 18, 2012
Ugoduru: The cut of cash for law @unizik is 250k, medicine is 300k. Forget about that cut of mark of a thing,God pls help me in tomorrow exam.
keep foolin ya'self. U actually think unizik is Bida poly! If 300k wil fetch medicine at unizik, i assure u that there wil be a veeeryy long que waiting at the vc's office. Isnt that almost what Lasu pays as school fees per session? My guy, go and read for ya exam.

1 Like

Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by Standing5(m): 6:02pm On Jul 18, 2012
ujchief:
keep foolin ya'self. U actually think unizik is Bida poly! If 300k wil fetch medicine at unizik, i assure u that there wil be a veeeryy long que waiting at the vc's office. Isnt that almost what Lasu pays as school fees per session? My guy, go and read for ya exam.
Stop fooling around, nobody pays that amount for admission in unizik?? we know how much they pay to pass their papers and grad with a good result, how can they pay above 200k for admission?
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by Eaglesman(m): 6:13pm On Jul 18, 2012
Ugoduru: The cut of cash for law @unizik is 250k, medicine is 300k. Forget about that cut of mark of a thing,God pls help me in tomorrow exam.
you are very stupid for that statement.for ur information,unizik Is the only school that admits students based on merit throughout the south east zones
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by Standing5(m): 6:25pm On Jul 18, 2012
Eagles man: you are very stupid for that statement.for ur information,unizik Is the only school that admits students based on merit throughout the south east zones
Do they also "grad based on merit" . . . give it up bro . . . they are just like most of their counterparts when it comes to morals, ethics and integrity
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by sleekch1c(f): 6:28pm On Jul 18, 2012
ujchief:
True.
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by avenza: 6:29pm On Jul 18, 2012
I think is a good idea, federal government should increase the qouta given to universities for admission.

As per bribery, unizik is a very difficult place to do admission runs. No matter how many millions you have except you meet the cut off mark for admission.before you can now think of that, am talking from experience.
I advice federal government to introduce 3 admission calender per year.

1 Like

Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by jbaur24: 6:39pm On Jul 18, 2012
I will advice a would be student who really want to study to go to UNIZIK, because that is where the best of best is residing. Its one school that dwell on merit of merit east of the niger and Nigeria as a whole. Its really a place to be.
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by jbaur24: 6:43pm On Jul 18, 2012
On universities mostly preferred by candidates, Ojerinde said that 11 institutions stood out with the University of Lagos topping the list 83, 865 candidates followed closely by the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka with 82,148 while the University of Benin came third with 80,048 candidates.

The University of Nigeria, Nsukka, UNN, he also said was the fourth preferred institution with 79, 398, followed by the University of Ilorin, UNILORIN with 76,276.

The sixth most preferred university was the Obafemi Awolowo University,; OAU, Ile-Ife with 64,702 followed by the Ahmadu Bello University, ABU, with 56,708.

Also the ABU was followed by the University of Port Harcourt, UNIPORT, with 48,439 candidates; University of Uyo, -44,397; Imo state University, -43,353 and University of Ibadan, UI with 40,011.

JAMB chief said, “Our experience this time is consistent with the previous trends- that Nigerians have a higher preference for some universities ahead of other tertiary institutions.
”Unfortunately those universities still have constraints with 83,865 candidates recorded being the highest applications (less than last year’s) 99, 115 (for the best preferred).

’’ However, from the carrying capacity figure, the National Universities Commission, NUC can admit only 9,507. These figure are only for most preferred choice and do not include those who chose UNILAG as their second choice”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/only-3-score-over-300-as-jamb-releases-results/

Its another indication that UNIZIK is a sought after citadel after UNILAG by all Nigerians and foreigners
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by crackhouse(m): 6:43pm On Jul 18, 2012
my dear, unizik has been a school of standard which they maintained even during the time of Prof Ilochi Okafor. However, I don't know much abt the present VC but i still believe they don't soil their hands in dirty money. So, keep ur mouth shut.

1 Like

Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by eldoc2003(m): 6:47pm On Jul 18, 2012
Eagles man: you are very stupid for that statement.for ur information,unizik Is the only school that admits students based on merit throughout the south east zones

You are on point I didn't pay a dime to gain admission into UNIZIK.
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by collins011(m): 6:54pm On Jul 18, 2012
Bobbystanley: Dat means dia is no admission for me dis year @ Unizik...i scored 236 in jamb and 59% in post ume..i did apply for law too.

call me urgently and furnish me with ur details i will get u admission in unizik. if u wrote post ume and u are qualify contact me 08036811222
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by ujchief(m): 7:36pm On Jul 18, 2012
collins011:

call me urgently and furnish me with ur details i will get u admission in unizik. if u wrote post ume and u are qualify contact me 08036811222
scam at broad day light!! Get a life dude.
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by yinkopet: 7:40pm On Jul 18, 2012
Gosh!!! this scenario is awfully so pathetic, how could 3,700 students be granted admission in2 d institution out of the possible 80,000 students who applied 4 d putme of d institution ? this is sincerely outrageous....let d so-called NUC give them more space 2 admit more of d student, we are all humans, so let be sympathetic to each other 4 crying out loud...pleading oooo
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by ujchief(m): 7:40pm On Jul 18, 2012
Standing5: Do they also "grad based on merit" . . . give it up bro . . . they are just like most of their counterparts when it comes to morals, ethics and integrity
whatever is it u're smoking is really gettin u high! U find it hard to believe their's a school in Nigeria that grades based on merit? U're just a paranoid sadist.
Re: UNIZIK Seeks Nuc’s Approval To Admit More Students by Eaglesman(m): 7:42pm On Jul 18, 2012
eldoc2003:

You are on point I didn't pay a dime to gain admission into UNIZIK.
yes man,once U̶̲̥̅̊ reach the cut off mark U̶̲̥̅̊ will be admitted.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

All University And Polytechnic Should Resume / Ugwuanyi Lays Foundation For Samuel Maduka's Entrepreneurial University / Grammarians Pls Come In! What Is "OSUKA" In English?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.