Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,154 members, 7,818,495 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making (12007 Views)

Magistrate Arrests Woman Who Scratched Her Car, Then Sent Her To Prison (Pic) / Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Udechukwu As Lawyer To Represent Him / Lawyer To Drag Buhari To Court For Dropping General Title From Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by Azubreezy(m): 10:31am On Jul 20, 2012
The said Lawyer's offence is an offence known as Contempt of Court. It is punishabl at d discretion of d Judge.I.e, d judge decides which eva punismnt to dish out. so, frog jump is not out of place, but its kindda hillarious, though.
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by kaeto(m): 10:32am On Jul 20, 2012
Opoki: What do you expect from a "Charge & Bail" road-side lawyer?
should a professional not observe keenly and ethusiastically the ethics of his profession, lousying about like an ill cultured native doctor. It serves him very right.

2 Likes

Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by kaeto(m): 10:34am On Jul 20, 2012
Reyginus: Who hid my post and y? Where did I go wrong?
post it again for us to see please. LOLZ.
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by gegee(m): 10:35am On Jul 20, 2012
stupid lawyer e no fit protest ? or beg sef ! e go dey accompany ein clients dey frog jump
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by seledafti: 10:40am On Jul 20, 2012
Probably there is personal difference between the accused and the magistrate cos that judgement was too harsh for him, the second option of to be docked will amount to stubborness and who is to deliver the judgement again if not his fellow magistrate......if na me nko, i go kuku jump jare...this guy will soon become SAN for his doggedness and grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by supereagle(m): 10:42am On Jul 20, 2012
Melahou: this is rubbish...tellin a lawyer 2 do frog jump...
dis cant hapen in a developed country...
d judge will b sues...
na 4 naija rubbish dey hapen.
Do you read well , Ewu? He gave them two punishment options: they opted for less sever and you ah blaming the magistrate who warned them before.
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by bknight: 10:48am On Jul 20, 2012
The magistrate baited d coward by giving him options. The corrupt mind chose d easy way out -frog jump! embarassed A fool who's son should be ashamed of!

would it not have been honourable to defend himself in court.
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by kellylander(m): 11:08am On Jul 20, 2012
Frm Fashola to Magistrate; maintaining order and giving due punishment(s) indeed. Mayb GOD shld also use d same yardstick for our leaders who hv totally failed us.
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by tomzman: 11:11am On Jul 20, 2012
This is very funny.
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by Nyntynplus: 11:19am On Jul 20, 2012
Gud For Him, nxt time he wil rememba to maintian silent..
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by ebamma(m): 11:34am On Jul 20, 2012
afam4eva: lmao

I think we need to put all these degrading punishments into the law book so that people will behave themselves.

lmao once again
okay
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by phonixy(m): 11:35am On Jul 20, 2012
Dat serves d lawyer rite!!![color=#006600][/color]
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by ebamma(m): 11:37am On Jul 20, 2012
Okija_juju: Hahahahahhaaaaa..

This is Yoruba Law.. And the next thing they will all become SANs..

Next they will ask all in the court to prostrate when the judge enters the court.. Shouting Kabiesi o!! grin
another tribalist on the loose
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by Okijajuju1(m): 11:40am On Jul 20, 2012
ebamma: another tribalist on the loose

Like are you really serious?!

So every time I mention Yoruba or Hausa, it automatically translates into tribalism..

Nigga you need to chill the fhuck out!!
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by whealthy(m): 11:41am On Jul 20, 2012
atuboweke: ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!! My Learned colleague is a disgrace to our dear profession. It is more honorable to be docked for contempt of court than that stupid act of (jump like nwa awo). We witness on daily basis during court session some senior lawyer and SAN making unbelievable noise. Any ways as the post stated, it happened in “Osogbo”…more like “Osogbo Justice”
I beg to disagree, choosing to be docked for contempt would make him an ex convict which might affect his right to practise if tabled before the NBA.
Also, contempt of court is the only crime in our justice system that is not substantially defined with any punishment in line with the sec36(12) of the constitution. What this means it, contempt proceedings and punishment is based on the judges discretion and exercised to protect the integrity of the court. Hence unlike other offences which are clearly stayed in CC or PC or other acts withe there requisite punishment, contempt is not.
This means a judge can apply any punishment he deems suitable till the contemptor is purged of the contempt.
Hence the jugde action is within purview of law.
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by ayandee: 11:44am On Jul 20, 2012
The magistrate was high-handed. He should have told the orderly to march them out of d premises.

1 Like

Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by Okijajuju1(m): 11:51am On Jul 20, 2012
whealthy:
I beg to disagree, choosing to be docked for contempt would make him an ex convict which might affect his right to practise if tabled before the NBA.
Also, contempt of court is the only crime in our justice system that is not substantially defined with any punishment in line with the sec36(12) of the constitution. What this means it, contempt proceedings and punishment is based on the judges discretion and exercised to protect the integrity of the court. Hence unlike other offences which are clearly stayed in CC or PC or other acts withe there requisite punishment, contempt is not.
This means a judge can apply any punishment he deems suitable till the contemptor is purged of the contempt.

I am not a laywer but according to customary Law of which I am a chief priest, custodian of tradition, a Justice of Peace and Eze Mmuo.. According to Section 36(12) of the Customary Constitu .. Fhuck that!!

If the man under went 5mins of frog jumping, he is still an exconvict, assuming that contemp is a convictable offence (whatever that means).. He was found guilty of Contempt and that should be the only important factor in determining of he is indeed an ex-convict.. Its like this, he was found guilty by the court and sentenced to either being Docked or an option of Frog Jump!!

Either ways, if at all this is considered a conviction, then regardless of wether he went to jail or not, he is a convict!!!

#Akon Thing! grin
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by alaoeri: 11:55am On Jul 20, 2012
Comedy half hour.
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by Korrection(m): 11:57am On Jul 20, 2012
And in the deveoped world lawyers dont make noise while hearings and proceedings are going on...grow up
d judge will b sues...
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by whealthy(m): 12:03pm On Jul 20, 2012
Okija_juju:

I am not a laywer but according to customary Law of which I am a chief priest, custodian of tradition, a Justice of Peace and Eze Mmuo.. According to Section 36(12) of the Customary Constitu .. Fhuck that!!

If the man under went 5mins of frog jumping, he is still an exconvict, assuming that contemp is a convictable offence (whatever that means).. He was found guilty of Contempt and that should be the only important factor in determining of he is indeed an ex-convict.. Its like this, he was found guilty by the court and sentenced to either being Docked or an option of Frog Jump!!

Either ways, if at all this is considered a conviction, then regardless of wether he went to jail or not, he is a convict!!!

#Akon Thing! grin
Lmao!
Brother, he was not 'docked' i.e put on trial, so he is not an ex convict. His frog jumping was a mere punishment not on record of court. So he was merely punished not convicted. Howevere, i think the jugde was TOO harsh on him: he could have reported him to NBA after a stern warning

1 Like

Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by ezeonline2(m): 12:11pm On Jul 20, 2012
:Pthis is intresting
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by Reference(m): 12:13pm On Jul 20, 2012
alaoeri: Comedy half hour.

I tell you. Perhaps next time it will be, kneel down in the sun and close your eyes or raise one leg and touch your nose. Unorthodox people, unorthodox nation.
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by hardbody: 12:15pm On Jul 20, 2012
whealthy:

I do not agree either. I will rather be docked for contempt and seek tp purge same than frog-jump with a client. I hope you are aware that the chief magistrate will not take me on that day, if he does, it will be offending the administrative rule of .....in causa sua'. Having said that, i will be detained and under the democratic rules, i will appear before another magistrate or judge the next day, by which time i would have used my contacts in the NBA to reach out to the magistrate. I am also certain that colleagues will be in court to throw up issues if he decides to go with the contempt proceedings.

My take remains that while in the temple of justice, we should all observe the rules and ethics, however, i will rather die than be brought to public odium, how would i appear again in that court? God forbid bad thing.
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by ab1x: 12:15pm On Jul 20, 2012
The Magistrate pronouncement is in line with the constitution. READ THIS:

Contempt of court is a court order which, in the context of a court trial or hearing, declares a person or organization to have disobeyed or been disrespectful of the court's authority. Often referred to simply as "contempt," such as a person "held in contempt," it is the judge's strongest power to impose sanctions for acts which disrupt the court's normal process.

A finding of contempt of court may result from a failure to obey a lawful order of a court, showing disrespect for the judge, disruption of the proceedings through poor behaviour, or publication of material deemed likely to jeopardize a fair trial. A judge may impose sanctions such as a fine or jail for someone found guilty of contempt of court. Judges in common law systems usually have more extensive power to declare someone in contempt than judges in civil law systems. The client or person must be proven to be guilty before he/she will be punished.

In civil cases involving disputes between private citizens, the behaviour resulting in the ruling is often directed at one of the parties involved rather than at the court directly.

A person found in contempt of court is called a "contemnor." To prove contempt, the prosecutor or complainant must prove the four elements of contempt:

Existence of a lawful order
The potential contemnor's knowledge of the order
The potential contemnor's ability to comply
The potential contemnor's failure to comply
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by whealthy(m): 12:25pm On Jul 20, 2012
hardbody:

I do not agree either. I will rather be docked for contempt and seek tp purge same than frog-jump with a client. I hope you are aware that the chief magistrate will not take me on that day, if he does, it will be offending the administrative rule of .....in causa sua'. Having said that, i will be detained and under the democratic rules, i will appear before another magistrate or judge the next day, by which time i would have used my contacts in the NBA to reach out to the magistrate. I am also certain that colleagues will be in court to throw up issues if he decides to go with the contempt proceedings.

My take remains that while in the temple of justice, we should all observe the rules and ethics, however, i will rather die than be brought to public odium, how would i appear again in that court? God forbid bad thing.
Unfortunately, in contempt, the judge you violated his authority is the one with the sole authority to try you, except you appeal the contempt if you have good grounds. In this case, the man would ve been convicted, if he chose to be docked.
Its one reason why contempt of court is condemned, it violated principle of non habeat in causa sua, as the same judge jugdes his own case
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 20, 2012
Who,in his right senses, will allow himself 2 be docked & miss an evening drink wt d boys?...just musing

1 Like

Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jul 20, 2012
But y s everybody making noise? if d lawyer s nt happy he could go back to court and sue the judge! of course he will nt do that because he knows d law.
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by Havilah93(m): 12:48pm On Jul 20, 2012
grin grin grin grin O'punishment...
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by Haryoryhemie(f): 12:49pm On Jul 20, 2012
U sure say dat one no be sharia sooo? The magistrate dey perform sharia law.
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jul 20, 2012
Demdem: Do we have lawyers here? is this right at all
yes what the laawyer did was wrong,it has become the nature of lawyers to make noise when proceeding is going on.normally wat he did is called. Contempt,den d magistrate has d discretion to punish or do anythin he want
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by linearity: 12:58pm On Jul 20, 2012
d judge will b sues...

How so? If the Court concludes that, they are in contempt of Court, the Judge can punish them either by fining the lawyer or sending them to jail in this case, the Judge gave them an option between jail and frog-jumping and they choose the later. I do not see any bases for any law suit here....

Yes, it is ridiculous and humiliating....there have been worst judgement passed by Judges in the US on citizens and lawyers are not a special class that should be sheltered from those ridiculous judgement.
Re: Magistrate Orders Lawyer To Frog-jump For Noise-making by Euroclydon(m): 1:00pm On Jul 20, 2012
The judge gave them a choice! Good one!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

South-east Governors Deny Issuing Warning To FG Over Killings Of IPOB Members / Muric Welcomes Jolly Nyame’s Sentence- Ishaq Akintola / Mama Taraba' Wins UDP Governorship Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.