Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,713 members, 7,809,702 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School (3348 Views)

Sergey Brin (One Of Google's Founders)'s Personal Resume / 11 African Startup Founders Who Built Million-dollar Internet Companies / Meet The Co-founders Of Africa’s Hottest Mobile App, 2go (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 20, 2012
Why do young startup founders like mark,steve,gates and a lot others drop out of school. And is it advisable in the Nigerian community, is it true that seun of NL also dropped out? If its true, why? Please i want y'all and even seun to say something about this very controversial issue 'cos i'm faced with a likely problem of the same nature: u know 'coding all day' to realise a startup that could evolve to one of the most successful cool stuffs in history and it tends to clash very much with academic performance, though i av neva been a dullard, I've always been brilliant bt now I'm jst on the average verge and some people are like: what's going on with this dude? What do y'all have to say on this
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 20, 2012
g9kate: Why do young startup founders like mark,steve,gates and a lot others drop out of school. And is it advisable in the Nigerian community, is it true that seun of NL also dropped out? If its true, why? Please i want y'all and even seun to say something about this very controversial issue 'cos i'm faced with a likely problem of the same nature: u know 'coding all day' to realise a startup that could evolve to one of the most successful cool stuffs in history and it tends to clash very much with academic performance, though i av neva been a dullard, I've always been brilliant bt now I'm jst on the average verge and some people are like: what's going on with this dude? What do y'all have to say on this
Because they have stumbled on the great Secret and discovered that their schooling was just a waste of precious time
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by spikesC(m): 8:29pm On Jul 20, 2012
not only you man, programming is a thing of passion and such, would make other things depreciateable. My GP is going down, i miss school often, i think about codes while lectures are going on, i answer question with programming terminologies and give examples with programming problems/solutions. It gets worst when the unqualified lecturers talks about computer stuffs, gosh, i feel like strangling the idiota. angry

But my little advice, even if you wanna drop out, pls do so when you're sure you've found 'the secret' to sustain you for 2 life times grin

Meanwhile, i must get my degrees no matter what. I think its a thing of personal decision and i have made mine

1 Like

Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by mrperfect(m): 8:36pm On Jul 24, 2012
Try your best to finish your school. Unless you know something else no man knows that might pass a way with time.
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Fayimora(m): 8:46pm On Jul 24, 2012
It's quite simple. You CANNOT run a company while in school. You have to choose one!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jul 24, 2012
to be frank, don't you think 'Computer Science and Programming doesn't fit in the academic world: its a very dynamic field which is the opposite in the academic': av u ever been told by ur lecturer that a new version of a language has been released and some syntax has benn deprecated? All these changes never reflect in the acadmic world. I think this thread deserves frontpage and seun should also share his nairaland journey to the top
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 1:35am On Jul 25, 2012
Holy! Put schooling first. Programming is not what you jumb into as a major source of livelihood or else you will get your àss kicked
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Kslib(m): 10:41am On Jul 25, 2012
Is this a coincidence? Just yesterday night i was just thinking about the same thing and here it is. What the op said is e
xactly what i thought of,i mean exactly.....
((((((((((((((((((FRONT PAGE))))))))))))
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by talk2hb1(m): 2:02pm On Jul 26, 2012
spikes C: not only you man, programming is a thing of passion and such, would make other things depreciateable. My GP is going down, i miss school often, i think about codes while lectures are going on, i answer question with programming terminologies and give examples with programming problems/solutions. It gets worst when the unqualified lecturers talks about computer stuffs, gosh, i feel like strangling the idiota. angry

But my little advice, even if you wanna drop out, pls do so when you're sure you've found 'the secret' to sustain you for 2 life times grin

Meanwhile, i must get my degrees no matter what. I think its a thing of personal decision and i have made mine
Same here most especially when you are studying course not even related to sciences talk less of computer science. Class is like hell on earth. Your communication with course mate is out of it, but the only thing that keeps me going is for the fact that I'm already in it wink.
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Beaf: 2:21pm On Jul 26, 2012
When you are intelligent to a certain point, school becomes either a time wasting joke or time wasting punishment.
It isn't just young startup founders that leave school, the Worlds most genuinely prolific inventor Thomas Alva Edison (to whom we owe everything from matches to recorded music), was a school drop out too. He left school in anger after his teacher described him as addled; meaning, confused, dull stup!d... You know the drill. embarassed

School is not for the hyper intelligent. What could anybody have taught Bill Gates about programming? He taught himself as a kid in his spare time and as a mere boy, innovated beyond the wildest dreams of profs with the greyest beards and corporations with bottomless pockets like IBM (whom he as a young man, he muscled out of the top computing position in the World). What do you want to teach such a guy in in school?

<digression>
It is sad though that, while in places like the US such prodigious brain power is rewarded, back home in Nigeria intelligent people are called names and given zero opportunities. In fact, many people see intelligent folk as a direct threat to their ability to make corrupt money. How would they import (and sell) spare parts for Ajaokuta if some kid can make these things right there at Ijebu-Ode or Awkunanaw? Who would invite foreigners in with mega kickbacks and other "waters under the bridge" when some guy in the creeks of Yenagoa or Warri can bring in a speedy and innovative fix?
<end digression>

School is not important when you have super brains. In fact, it becomes a burden.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Kslib(m): 7:16pm On Jul 26, 2012
Beaf: When you are intelligent to a certain point, school becomes either a time wasting joke or time wasting punishment.
It isn't just young startup founders that leave school, the Worlds most genuinely prolific inventor Thomas Alva Edison (to whom we owe everything from matches to recorded music), was a school drop out too. He left school in anger after his teacher described him as addled; meaning, confused, dull stup!d... You know the drill. embarassed

School is not for the hyper intelligent. What could anybody have taught Bill Gates about programming? He taught himself as a kid in his spare time and as a mere boy, innovated beyond the wildest dreams of profs with the greyest beards and corporations with bottomless pockets like IBM (whom he as a young man, he muscled out of the top computing position in the World). What do you want to teach such a guy in in school?

<digression>
It is sad though that, while in places like the US such prodigious brain power is rewarded, back home in Nigeria intelligent people are called names and given zero opportunities. In fact, many people see intelligent folk as a direct threat to their ability to make corrupt money. How would they import (and sell) spare parts for Ajaokuta if some kid can make these things right there at Ijebu-Ode or Awkunanaw? Who would invite foreigners in with mega kickbacks and other "waters under the bridge" when some guy in the creeks of Yenagoa or Warri can bring in a speedy and innovative fix?
<end digression>

School is not important when you have super brains. In fact, it becomes a burden.
I think i will hack into nairaland just to like this post 10000000000000 times!!!! I just love it..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by GideonG(m): 1:50am On Jul 30, 2012
This is the first time I am saying this in public...

I dropped out of Federal University Of Technology (ATBU BAUCHI)in 300level studying Petroleum Engineering.

I am a passionate programmer, I only sleep for two hours and programming is more than just a passion to me it's an addiction.
I believe I am born to be great! watch out for me.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 30, 2012
GideonG: This is the first time I am saying this in public...

I dropped out of Federal University Of Technology (ATBU BAUCHI)in 300level studying Petroleum Engineering.

I am a passionate programmer, I only sleep for two hours and programming is more than just a passion to me it's an addiction.

Keep up the spirit, dont lose your focus and you will find your place in some very big places even employing many University graduates.

When your attitude is right, the facts dont count.
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 30, 2012
GideonG: This is the first time I am saying this in public...

Ah! Please ooo. Don't get yourself addicted to programming. It is a work you do at leisure and gradually become a full time job. Put schooling first because your browser would never give out the correct results if the spelling of your attributes names and values are wrong! smiley
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by worldbest(m): 10:07am On Jul 31, 2012
Blugreen: Ah! Please ooo. Don't get yourself addicted to programming. It is a work you do at leisure and gradually become a full time job. Put schooling first because your browser would never give out the correct results if the spelling of your attributes names and values are wrong! smiley

If you program only at your leisure time alone, you may never go far. The addiction grows on you because of the passion. I ‎​am a student and i code or think about codes 24/7 and it has helped my programming and improved my logic. The addiction of programming got to a stage where i would sleep with a biro and paper just incase i come up with an incredible idea. When i watch TV, play games and engage in real life activities, i try to relate these activities with codes. So you see, if you love programming, do not set a specific time to do something.
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by lordZOUGA(m): 11:14am On Jul 31, 2012
Blugreen: Ah! Please ooo. Don't get yourself addicted to programming. It is a work you do at leisure and gradually become a full time job. Put schooling first because your browser would never give out the correct results if the spelling of your attributes names and values are wrong! smiley
there is no leisure in programming... You think frustration is fun?
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by netghost: 9:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
lordZOUGA:
there is no leisure in programming... You think frustration is fun?

programming is not my hustle , i do it for fun....Personally i think you wont go far in programming if you go into it expecting to get you daily bread from it, it should be a thing done out of free will, gradually you find it paying the bills, your comment is still the basic reason the open source community is lacking Nigeria
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by worldbest(m): 10:02pm On Jul 31, 2012
netghost:

programming is not my hustle , i do it for fun....Personally i think you wont go far in programming if you go into it expecting to get you daily bread from it, it should be a thing done out of free will, gradually you find it paying the bills, your comment is still the basic reason the open source community is lacking Nigeria

I disagree with you bro. A lot of people go into programming to earn their daily bread. Why do you think people pay lots of money to learn it. So are you telling me that an individual who learns to program to an intermediate level, develops a startup and attracts paying customers hasn't gone far? Why the hell will i go into programming, learn challenging things all because i want to exercise my free will. I started programming because i wanted money (i still want money). It is even the love for money that drives me. How i go sleep for 3hours per day, look rough in the eyes of babes, spoil my eyes, acquire back pains, catch malaria because say i get only passion for programming grin
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 31, 2012
worldbest:

If you program only at your leisure time alone, you may never go far. The addiction grows on you because of the passion. I ‎​am a student and i code or think about codes 24/7 and it has helped my programming and improved my logic. The addiction of programming got to a stage where i would sleep with a biro and paper just incase i come up with an incredible idea. When i watch TV, play games and engage in real life activities, i try to relate these activities with codes. So you see, if you love programming, do not set a specific time to do something.
netghost has said it all. Programming shouldn't be taken as a full time job or you may get your àss thoroughly and badly kicked. Sleeping with a paper and pen will not make you a good programmer neither kicking football 24/7 will make you Lionel Messi. Talent has a great role to play. The best programmers in the world doesn't spend more than 30 minutes coding in a day. Anything you good at, you always find it easy and spend less time with it. If you ain't good at programming, find some other things you good at so that you spend less time with it. Don't code for 24/7 or else, it won't take long before you start realising the time you have wasted
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by spikesC(m): 10:27pm On Jul 31, 2012
Blugreen: netghost has said it all. Programming shouldn't be taken as a full time job or you may get your àss thoroughly and badly kicked. Sleeping with a paper and pen will not make you a good programmer neither kicking football 24/7 will make you Lionel Messi. Talent has a great role to play. The best programmers in the world doesn't spend more than 30 minutes coding in a day. Anything you good at, you always find it easy and spend less time with it. If you ain't good at programming, find some other things you good at so that you spend less time with it. Don't code for 24/7 or else, it won't take long before you start realising the time you have wasted

I'll just say you're an inexperienced beginner. No time to argue with u.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 31, 2012
spikes C:

I don't have time to argue either. OMG! My rice is on the fire. Wana go and remove it before it gets burnt!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 31, 2012
spikes C:

Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by worldbest(m): 10:36pm On Jul 31, 2012
spikes C:

Thank you. He's just trying to justify is coding inabilities. What a post. I fit slap you

1 Like

Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Fayimora(m): 10:37pm On Jul 31, 2012
lordZOUGA: there is no leisure in programming... You think frustration is fun?

Can't believe someone can actually make such a statement. Until you stop perceiving programming as something that should't make you think or something that should make you rich, you will NEVER, and I repeat NEVER see the joy in programming. To make it worse, you will NEVER be worth the name "programmer".

Just like @netghost, I program for fun! When you embrace it properly, you will get more than you asked for. Programming is for those who know what programming actually is!

@worldbest, people that learn at that level and suddenly have startup(s) are called ENTREPRENEURS not PROGRAMMERS. They never wanted to program, they only found a very lucrative way to try out their actual skills!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by worldbest(m): 11:02pm On Jul 31, 2012
Fayimora:

Can't believe someone can actually make such a statement. Until you stop perceiving programming as something that should't make you think or something that should make you rich, you will NEVER, and I repeat NEVER see the joy in programming. To make it worse, you will NEVER be worth the name "programmer".

Just like @netghost, I program for fun! When you embrace it properly, you will get more than you asked for. Programming is for those who know what programming actually is!

@worldbest, people that learn at that level and suddenly have startup(s) are called ENTREPRENEURS not PROGRAMMERS. They never wanted to program, they only found a very lucrative way to try out their actual skills!

I don't quite agree. It depends on how you define a programmer. As far as an individual learns to code, gets to a stage where he is able to bring an idea to reality then i he is a programmer and an entrepreneur. Nobody cares weather is a basic, intermediate or an expert.
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by lordZOUGA(m): 11:17pm On Jul 31, 2012
netghost:

you misunderstand my post... I was trying to tell the guy that there are better ways to spend leisure times than to program...
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jul 31, 2012
Fayimora:

you can tell them again.. Get rich programming? Ah! That is suicide! I strongly believe there are people who doesn't know what programming is all about(newbie) and planning to buy a private jet with it. Smh for who ever takes programming as the only means of livelihood or thinks programming can make him the next Bill Gate. Embrace with passion and play it for fun at leisure without aiming getting rich with it and you will see the end result. Deliberate abandoning school for programming? Ah! Taking a rat poison would be better! @ Op "Seun" is not a school drop out. He his a graduate @ Ife( Obafemi Awolowo University) if am not mistaking. And all those names you mentioned did not drop out of school for programming. Complete your school bro smiley
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by lordZOUGA(m): 11:55pm On Jul 31, 2012
Fayimora:

hmmm... I have given him the reason for my statement.. But please... Programming is fun but frustration is not fun. Maybe when am learning a new language and figuring out how it works or using programming for my own personal cool stuff is fun. But solving other pple's problem is not fun... And that is what you will be doing alot as a programmer
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by worldbest(m): 12:09am On Aug 01, 2012
Blugreen: you can tell them again.. Get rich programming? Ah! That is suicide! I strongly believe there are people who doesn't know what programming is all about(newbie) and planning to buy a private jet with it. Smh for who ever takes programming as the only means of livelihood or thinks programming can make him the next Bill Gate. Embrace with passion and play it for fun at leisure without aiming getting rich with it and you will see the end result. Deliberate abandoning school for programming? Ah! Taking a rat poison would be better! @ Op "Seun" is not a school drop out. He his a graduate @ Ife( Obafemi Awolowo University) if am not mistaking. And all those names you mentioned did not drop out of school for programming. Complete your school bro smiley

You are highly ignorant. So are you saying one cannot get
Rich through programming? Where are you from? You don't have to be as rich as B.Gates to be considered rich. I am so sure you don't know what programming is and you are the newbie. If anyone ever decides to leave school, they do so only when they feel their program/application is becoming a business. Even if they fail, they could get acquired etc. I think you are lazy boy. Keep writing tags and attribute for fun, without a future plan, you'll grow "gaymu"
. The only thing I'll agree with you even though you've been yapping saw dust is that you'll need alot of passion and ambition to really make it big.
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 09, 2012
grin[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
netghost:

yes boss!!!! Take for example.... BILL Gates, Mark nd all diddnt think codes all day or drop outta skul coz they blive they will hammer from there.... Infact,Mark neva tot of money until after his success,someone brot d money issue and he considered!!!! His lieasure passion paid off and besides while in skul, his grades wie great even doh he was always coded
Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by ghettodreamz(m): 8:39pm On Aug 09, 2012
@All posters;
Some of the world famous and richest billionaires including the second richest man in the world, "Bill Gates" are college drop-out. I don't think success in life has anything to do with your certificate, is just there for you to get your leg in the door, I believe most of these people famously known today as world billionaires dropped out of school just because they found out what they were being taught in the college are what they can do or even more by themselves, once they found out they have skills of providing solutions to human problems combined with entrepreneurship knowledge they found themselves doing good with these things, most of them started doing all these earlier by themselves, just because of the opportunities that abound in their countries,which we didn't enjoy here in Africa. I don't believe coding or leaving school for programming is a wrong choice, what matter most is discovering yourself and the path of life you had like to follow, not everybody that goes to college will definitely make it in life, what matter most is going for the passion in anything you do, and the earlier the better it could get. There is no doubt, there is money in programming, as long as one is good at his/her onions, in USA there are programmers netting between $34,000-$114,000 or even more annually, and yet some people are saying you can't get rich programming, funny! The only thing I would say is, it might be difficult to make that kind of money in Nigeria but in America it is and every other part of Europe not in Asia where labour is cheap.

Bill Gates: Harvard Most Successful Drop -out -Co-founder & Chairman of Microsoft

Steve Jobs: The Apple co-founder and CEO dropped out of Reed College.

Paul Allen: The Microsoft co-founder dropped out of Washington State University after two years. He was the man who convinced Bill to drop-out so they could both start the Software company and tell me who doesn't use or haven't use Microsoft before?

Richard Branson: The British billionaire owner of the Virgin business empire dropped out of high school at the age of 16 to begin his work life, publishing a magazine called Student.

Michael Dell: The computer mogul got his start selling personal computers out of his dorm room in 1984. He dropped out of University of Texas at Austin to focus on his company full-time.

Mark Zuckerberg: Co-founder and chairman of Facebook dropped out of Harvard

It's no doubt that college/university drop-outs billionaires make more money that triples their college graduate counterparts, just because these people started earlier and they always have an edge over their college graduates, while they were in the college classes learning,these other folks are busy learning the practicals and experimenting things on their own, exposing them what the real world is like and this give them an edge over their college graduates counterparts. Actually most of the colleges/universities drop-out always go back to school just to complete their programmes and have the certificates, if someone drop-out of a college/uni in Nigeria for the good reason, I don't blame such, when you do the right thing at the right time, it's always better than wasting the whole years in the college without it passing through you or making you whatever you aspired and dreamed of becoming, Nigeria education system doesn't even encourage youths who are skilled and talented tech-wise,I don't want to go into details about it, since that's not what this post is all about.

Shouldn't be saying this, but I want to, I personally dropped out from Uni after spending 3/5 years, just because I want to start afresh and pursue a career in IT instead of my former AGRIC shit, I don't mind starting all over, what matter most is discovering yourself, knowing what you know how to do best, your passion and goals in life, and the money would follow you as an addition, I'm just starting but I know the sky is just my starting point and I hope someday, I would rank one of the richest college drop-out in the world if not the richest by His grace.

Greatness is in all but we have to discover it ourselves nobody would help us! The richest drop-out in the world are not only limited to the computer world, there are so many others in other fields and careers as well!.

-Discover your God giving talent
-Pursue whatever you have passion for
-Create some alone time studying by yourself
-Get experience (Meeting new people/Working in group)
-Set your future goals, write them out
-Work hard towards achieving them
-Put them before God

IT IS WELL.......

1 Like

Re: Why Do Young Startup Founders Drop Out Of School by Murphy7h4: 7:19am On Aug 10, 2012
Great

(1) (2) (Reply)

Programming Challenge : Obfuscated Code! / An Introduction To PHP - Beginners Base / Sending Sms Using Asp.net (c#) Through Http

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.