Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,468 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? (8872 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / The Clash Of Tradition And Christianity In Ekukunela / Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by odumchi: 2:54am On Jul 21, 2012
For some time I've been wondering whether or not Christianity should prohibit us from fully partaking in our tradition and cultural heritage.

For example, I know people who are blessed with a rich cultural background but fail to partake in many of their people's practices because (as they put it) "such things are meant for pagans".

Must being Christian mean that our traditions and cultural practices must die? Was it not God that inspired us with our identity and such methods of self-preservation?

I'm also asking because this affects me. I am a Christian, but I don't believe that that should mean the traditions of my people should be ignored. Although this isn't really a problem in my area (since we have healthy attitudes towards cultural preservation), I would like to hear your opinions on it.

As for myself, I plan to join three of the masquerade and secret societies (ekpo, ekpe, and okonko) of my hometown. Does being a Christian mean that an Obosi man cannot partake in egwugwu, a Calabar man in ekpe, or an Ife man in divination?

Nairalanders give me your opinions!

3 Likes

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:09am On Jul 21, 2012
odumchi: For some time I've been wondering whether or not Christianity should prohibit us from fully partaking in our tradition and cultural heritage.

For example, I know people who are blessed with a rich cultural background but fail to partake in many of their people's practices because (as they put it) "such things are meant for pagans".

Must being Christian mean that our traditions and cultural practices must die? Was it not God who inspired us with our identity and such methods of self-preservation?

I'm also asking because this affects me. I am a Christian, but I don't believe that that should mean the traditions of my people should be ignored. Although this isn't really a problem in my area (since we have healthy attitudes towards cultural preservation), I would like to hear your opinions on such.

As for myself, I plan to join all of the masquerade and secret societies (ekpo, ekpe, and okonko) of my hometown. Does being a Christian mean that an Obosi man cannot partake in egwugwu, a Calabar man in ekpe, or an Ife man in divination?

Nairalanders give me your opinions!

I know you have been itching to join "Ekpe" but be ready for divorce if you are married...lmao You are not alone because myself has been longing to adopt the "Ikenga" but the thought of it alone overwhelms me due to my family's staunch catholic beliefs. The truth is that you can do it but ppl will see you with a bad eye and will start avoinding you. Its very difficukt in this modern day to be a christian and a traditionalist at the same time. I hear say jazz is cool among Aros though.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by odumchi: 3:31am On Jul 21, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

I know you have been itching to join "Ekpe" but be ready for divorce if you are married...lmao You are not alone because myself has been longing to adopt the "Ikenga" but the thought of it alone overwhelms me due to my family's staunch catholic beliefs. The truth is that you can do it but ppl will see you with a bad eye and will start avoinding you. Its very difficukt in this modern day to be a christian and a traditionalist at the same time. I hear say jazz is cool among Aros though.

Lol. My brother it's not easy oo. grin

I don't think our religions should prohibit us from partaking in our cultures. If everyone had this mentality, how would tradition survive?

I'm sure the road will be difficult but if you believe that Ikenga is meant for you, don't waste time.

Concerning me, every male in my father's side of the family joined both ekpo and ekpe before adulthood and before the faimly's total conversion to Catholicism. Although they're still ekpe members now, they don't partake in the hardcore ceremonies (consultation of oracle, oath taking, and etc) anymore.

I plan to do the same before I become an adult so that I won't have a wife to influence my decision cheesy . However, I don't think most of my family members will support this action.

Also, what do you mean by "jazz is cool"? I think you're saying "it's alright" but I'm not sure.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by odumchi: 3:35am On Jul 21, 2012
Besides, what's the big deal? It's not as if we are joining a satanic cult.

As long as one is a faithful adherent of his religion and does nothing that defies the beliefs of his religion, all else shouldn't matter.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by YorubaOmoge: 3:39am On Jul 21, 2012
odumchi:

Lol. My brother it's not easy oo. grin

I don't think our religions should prohibit us from partaking in our cultures. If everyone had this mentality, how would tradition survive?

I'm sure the road will be difficult but if you believe that Ikenga is meant for you, don't waste time.

Concerning me, every male in my father's side of the family is a member of both ekpo and ekpe. They joined when they were still adolescents [size=18pt]and I plan to do the same before I become an adult[/size] so I won't have a wife to influence my decision cheesy . However, I don't think most of my family members will support this action.

Also, what do you mean by "jazz is cool"? I think you're saying "it's alright" but I'm not sure.

shocked
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by ezeagu(m): 4:08am On Jul 21, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

It depends on where you go. Abia isn't really deep into Christianity like Anambra though. Everyone in Igboland is suspicious of each other anyway because of poisoning.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:45am On Jul 21, 2012
Odumchi, I can understand where you're coming from, on a personal level. See, my culture, in general, doesn't seem to have too much a problem reconciling omelala with Christianity, but my family does though. My father did not look kindly on us (my siblings and I) participating in various cultural performances, for religious reasons, until two years ago, when my sister performed her first mgbede for our annual Ngwa convention.

He still has his reservations. For instance, though it has been suggested on several occasions that I perform ekpo, he's advised against my participating. His understanding is that one thing leads to another. So, an attempt to reconcile omelala with Christianity could potentially lead to traditionalism, which he encourages me to stay away from. I understand where he's coming from though, considering his family background. Still, I intend on delving into various aspects of omelala, since I feel I need to gain a better (i.e. somewhat personal) understanding of them, if I am to write them to film the way I would like.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 21, 2012
personally, im not cut out to be member of any cultural or tradtional association. well, except my village/town association in diaspora.

i might attend the ceremony or festival such as ekpe,iri ji etc. but thats as far as i'll go. anything other than that is a prelude to some diabolical ritual stuff which i have absolutely no interest in whatsoever.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by ezeagu(m): 7:37am On Jul 21, 2012
Most people in the old days didn't get involved in the deeper stuff (at this point we're obviously talking about ị gwọ nshi, ị chụ àjà, ị befu ishi). That was left to dibia, title holders and other important people. Community participation is in things like Iri ji and other festivals related to deities (Iri ji is associated to yam deities), and offerings to a shrine.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 21, 2012
What I've noticed recently is that parents especially fathers with titles do not reveal to their families exactly what really goes on when they attend meetings. All we see are the frills, thrills and pageantry.

When the man eventually dies then his children especially male children are forced to carry out some rites.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by odumchi: 3:29pm On Jul 21, 2012
ChinenyeN: Odumchi, I can understand where you're coming from, on a personal level. See, my culture, in general, doesn't seem to have too much a problem reconciling omelala with Christianity, but my family does though. My father did not look kindly on us (my siblings and I) participating in various cultural performances, for religious reasons, until two years ago, when my sister performed her first mgbede for our annual Ngwa convention.

He still has his reservations. For instance, though it has been suggested on several occasions that I perform ekpo, he's advised against my participating. His understanding is that one thing leads to another. So, an attempt to reconcile omelala with Christianity could potentially lead to traditionalism, which he encourages me to stay away from. I understand where he's coming from though, considering his family background. Still, I intend on delving into various aspects of omelala, since I feel I need to gain a better (i.e. somewhat personal) understanding of them, if I am to write them to film the way I would like.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm sure this feeling is very widespread.

It seems as if people assign stigma to (in this case) omelala due to their personal convictions. Nowadays, the belief is that one cannot fully participate in his/her tradition while being a Christian. Unfortunately, it's this type of mentality that spells doom on cultures.

Maybe your father has had a bad experience with omelala, hence his disapproval. Among my people, ekpo is generally accepted and even encouraged but the same can't be said for ekpe and okonko.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by odumchi: 3:33pm On Jul 21, 2012
OMO IBO: What I've noticed recently is that parents especially fathers with titles do not reveal to their families exactly what really goes on when they attend meetings. All we see are the frills, thrills and pageantry.

When the man eventually dies then his children especially male children are forced to carry out some rites.

In that case, it's the responsibility of the man to explain to his family the implications of his entrance into such a society.

Some people pull out and refuse to be involved in any of those deep things.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by odumchi: 3:38pm On Jul 21, 2012
ezeagu: Most people in the old days didn't get involved in the deeper stuff (at this point we're obviously talking about ị gwọ nshi, ị chụ àjà, ị befu ishi). That was left to dibia, title holders and other important people. Community participation is in things like Iri ji and other festivals related to deities (Iri ji is associated to yam deities), and offerings to a shrine.

You're right. Public perception of these inner ceremonies plays a large role in public opinion. For example, in my town, the senior ekpe age-grades (and anyone else who is interested) congregate around a giant orji tree (converted to an oracle) which is said to bear the ancestral ọvọ of my town. They pour libations to the tree, offer sacrifices, and etc.

However, people don't understand that not every member has to be involved in this. Their perception of a few spoils it for the many.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 21, 2012
Come on, we do know a lot of the things they do is shrouded in secrecy.

Anyways, I agree somewhat with the following from chinenye 'my culture, in general, doesn't seem to have too much a problem reconciling omelala with Christianity'.

I know in my church, if there's a dedication of any kind the after party or celebration takes a somewhat traditional/cultural feel regardless of a preists' presense. Kola nut, ugba, and prayers are said in igbo.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:39pm On Jul 21, 2012
just ditch the damn christianity and be done with it. enough of man worship. . angry
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 31, 2012
Truth is Christianity is an Arabic Tradition while your Ekpo, Ekpe and Egugun are African Tradition. Both are uplifting in passing a message that there are higher beings in the world. But none is really telling the hard truth about the nature of God and the atoms of the Universe. I will say, cling to your African religion while accepting the Asian Religion. Both of which will leave you gasping with unanswered questions about Life after death.

1 Like

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jul 31, 2012
YOU ARE NOT A TRUE CHRISTIAN.If you were,you wont be asking this kind of question."LIGHT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DARKNESS". i was waiting for u to mention somethin controversial,only for u to talk about MASQUAREDES..mtcheew

2 Likes

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by EreluY(f): 3:07pm On Jul 31, 2012
Church history unequivocally demonstrates that many traditions and practices which today are considered to be Christian were borrowed from pagan practices and traditions in Greece, Rome and elsewhere in Europe. It is sad and shameful that after the Europeans have deceived African into accepting Christianity (a religion which, if not for the presence of immigrants Christian converts from the Southern Hemisphere, would almost be extinct by now, and still is in serious decline in Western Europe), Africans have chosen to remain deceived. But, it's not their problem. One the one hand, it's business for most whilst on the other hand it is the people's opium. RELIGION IS THE OLDEST, GLOBAL SCAM. IT'S A LIE, THERE IS NO HEAVEN OR HELL.

1 Like

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 31, 2012
Erelu_Y: Church history unequivocally demonstrates that many traditions and practices which today are considered to be Christian were borrowed from pagan practices and traditions in Greece, Rome and elsewhere in Europe. It is sad and shameful that after the Europeans have deceived African into accepting Christianity (a religion which, if not for the presence of immigrants Christian converts from the Southern Hemisphere, would almost be extinct by now, and still is in serious decline in Western Europe), Africans have chosen to remain deceived. But, it's not their problem. One the one hand, it's business for most whilst on the other hand it is the people's opium. RELIGION IS THE OLDEST, GLOBAL SCAM. IT'S A LIE, THERE IS NO HEAVEN OR HELL.
You have the courage that I dont have to tell the HARD TRUTH. Am your fan here.

1 Like

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by dozern(m): 3:12pm On Jul 31, 2012
My traditions dat is not ocultic should be preserve. Any traditions dat is ocultic, obnoxious and evil should be avoided.If my grandpa who died as far back as 1948, can destroy all his juju and masquarade and adviced his sons not to partake in such a tradition. Without any priest, pastor or man of God to preach him about dt, i think so is wrong wt some tradition. Any social cultural heritage dat is devoid of evil must be preserve. Jesus dd nt condem all the trad. He ammended it. After all, seminary school parades masquarade since there is no juju in it. And it only serve 4 entertainment. If u insist in joinin masquarade cult, its to ur detriment. I pray that ur children wl nt sufer it.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by BinghiNya(m): 3:19pm On Jul 31, 2012
Was santa claus not a masquerade
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by EreluY(f): 3:20pm On Jul 31, 2012
BinghiNya: Was santa claus not a masquerade

ABI OOOO. TELL THEM!
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Mcleo007(m): 3:25pm On Jul 31, 2012
@op, it shudnt. Only sad thing is most of the foreign religious we've acculturated into have successfully brainwashed most of us to believing there was and will never be anything gud with our cultures and traditional norms and values. Everything us; our past and present are not only barbaric and tribal, but intrinsically evil and scornful.

1 Like

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Mcleo007(m): 3:26pm On Jul 31, 2012
@op, it shudnt. Only sad thing is, most of the foreign religious we've acculturated into, have successfully brainwashed most of us to believing there was and will never be anything gud with our cultures and traditional norms and values. Everything about us in their eyes; our past and present are not only barbaric and tribal, but intrinsically evil and scornful.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by proudly9ja(m): 3:27pm On Jul 31, 2012
Like every other faith/belief (including your secret societies), Christianity forbids some things.

You have every right and choice to choose which you want. But you cannot mix both.

my 1p

1 Like

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 31, 2012
dozern: My traditions dat is not ocultic should be preserve. Any traditions dat is ocultic, obnoxious and evil should be avoided.If my grandpa who died as far back as 1948, can destroy all his juju and masquarade and adviced his sons not to partake in such a tradition. Without any priest, pastor or man of God to preach him about dt, i think so is wrong wt some tradition. Any social cultural heritage dat is devoid of evil must be preserve. Jesus dd nt condem all the trad. He ammended it. After all, seminary school parades masquarade since there is no juju in it. And it only serve 4 entertainment. If u insist in joinin masquarade cult, its to ur detriment. I pray that ur children wl nt sufer it.
Do not base your belief system on your GrandPa's decision. Call it Juju, Jazz, Witches and Wizards, I call it Science. Every race has these bits of mystical science here and there whether in the labs or in the ephemeral cantonments, truth is, if well utilized, they can lead us back to our source, our creators. But Believing that one giant being called God created everything is even against what is written in the Christian Bible. Quote "Let 'us' make man in 'our' own image" - Quote close. We should be asking, What is God and not Who is God.

1 Like

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Chubhie: 3:31pm On Jul 31, 2012
Erelu_Y: Church history unequivocally demonstrates that many traditions and practices which today are considered to be Christian were borrowed from pagan practices and traditions in Greece, Rome and elsewhere in Europe. It is sad and shameful that after the Europeans have deceived African into accepting Christianity (a religion which, if not for the presence of immigrants Christian converts from the Southern Hemisphere, would almost be extinct by now, and still is in serious decline in Western Europe), Africans have chosen to remain deceived. But, it's not their problem. One the one hand, it's business for most whilst on the other hand it is the people's opium. RELIGION IS THE OLDEST, GLOBAL SCAM. IT'S A LIE, THERE IS NO HEAVEN OR HELL.
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by Chubhie: 3:33pm On Jul 31, 2012
Billyonaire: Do not base your belief system on your GrandPa's decision. Call it Juju, Jazz, Witches and Wizards, I call it Science. Every race has these bits of mystical science here and there whether in the labs or in the ephemeral cantonments, truth is, if well utilized, they can lead us back to our source, our creators. But Believing that one giant being called God created everything is even against what is written in the Christian Bible. Quote "Let 'us' make man in 'our' own image" - Quote close. We should be asking, What is God and not Who is God.

On point!!
Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by DeGrace01(m): 3:36pm On Jul 31, 2012
To you and all those supporting u to join better hv a rethink. A young boy like u should be refine and think of something better to do wt ur like instead u r here seeking for support or courage to kill ur future. For ur own interest do not join rather engage urself more deeply in God and Christian activities u will never regret it. Shallom!!!

3 Likes

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by okreka4sam(m): 3:51pm On Jul 31, 2012
This not a topic to discuss.tradition and chritainity doesn't go togather.

1 Like

Re: Should Christianity Restrict You From Partaking In Your Tradition? by igbomu: 3:54pm On Jul 31, 2012
Africans are conquered people lmfao. All Nigerian people do is read bible and koran and then kill themselves, while others are building planes and developing. Get a life Nigeria people.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do We Actually Need English Names / Somalis In Nigeria / Between The Yorubas,hausa And Igbos Who Is More Intelligence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.