Stats: 3,153,633 members, 7,820,224 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? (14725 Views)

Aluminium Vs Asbestos Roofing Sheets. / Choosing Between PVC And Asbestos Ceiling Board. / Standard 3 Bedroom Flat Bungalow With Pop & Pvc Ceiling In Sitting Area & Rooms (2) (3) (4)

What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by Patsey: 2:59am On Jul 21, 2012
Hello everyone, given the scientifically proven health risks which asbestos pose, I am wondering what the reliable and available alternatives are in Nigeria. Please do share your experiences with me. Thanks.
Re: What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by marvel10: 8:39am On Jul 21, 2012
Loads of alternatives. I would stick to a clean finish such as using plasterboards from 9.5mm (thickness), plaster over it and paint it so it looks like a wall. The attached images show the finish from the usual plasterboards.

Re: What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by Patsey: 6:25pm On Jul 21, 2012
marvel10: Loads of alternatives. I would stick to a clean finish such as using plasterboards from 9.5mm (thickness), plaster over it and paint it so it looks like a wall. The attached images show the finish from the usual plasterboards.

Thanks marvel10, are these pictures of Naija homes?
Re: What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by jaytime(m): 6:15am On Jul 22, 2012
The best ceiling material is POP ceiling. It's not even an alternative: it's in the class of its own. It is durable, best fire retardant, emits no poisonous substances and very very beautiful to mention a few.
Next to it is PVC ceiling. It might look like plastic but it not truely plastic therefore is fire retardant. It only has some plastic material in it: some are plasticized(PPVC) while some are unplasticized(UPVC). There difference is the quantity of plastic content. PVC doesnt burn as many people misconceive. If u want to confirm, put a piece in fire and watch; any flame?
PVC is not as expensive as POP yet beautiful and easy and takes less time to install(to professionals*) compared to POP. It is light in weight therefore doesnt pose any threat to bad wood/nogging.
It emits no unhealthy agents.
In summary, either POP or PVC is just "cool" in your house.

Re: What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by marvel10: 7:13am On Jul 22, 2012
No, Patsey, this particular image is not of a Nigerian home. That said, various homes are done to such standards today. Be rest assured. I will post pics of the next work I do.
Re: What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by marvel10: 7:15am On Jul 22, 2012
That said, if you wish to have work carried out to such standards. Feel free to contact me but I don't do jale o (haggling)...
Re: What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by jaytime(m): 7:38am On Jul 23, 2012
Get your best ceiling works (POP, Screeding/cornice and PVC) from the masters. Contact me on 08123275855 or mail jaydjay03@yahoo.com. Click the signature link on my profile for sample pictures.
Re: What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by jaytime(m): 11:20am On Aug 04, 2012
Re: What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by pinklin88(m): 4:00am On Aug 31, 2012
Dear Sir,

This is Joyee from Haiyan Yucheng Hengtai Decorative Material Factory in China, if you want to buy pvc ceiling board, pvc panel, please kindly see our web site: http://jxhengtai1.en.alibaba.com/.

Or email me :junyangzou@hotmail.com, or call me:008613655830882 skype: joyee55
also you can contact with my wife, she sold wpc material, brick making machine, her name is pink, email: pinklin88@gmail.com call:008615067358513 skype:pinklin6

Look forward to your early reply, we can give you the lowest price, and we sold to your country before, customers like our products very much, we are the direct factory.

Best regards.

Joyee

Re: What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by peaceland(m): 8:04am On Jan 11, 2013
Re: What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by webbaba: 3:36pm On Dec 29, 2013
jaytime: The best ceiling material is POP ceiling. It's not even an alternative: it's in the class of its own. It is durable, best fire retardant, emits no poisonous substances and very very beautiful to mention a few.
Next to it is PVC ceiling. It might look like plastic but it not truely plastic therefore is fire retardant. It only has some plastic material in it: some are plasticized(PPVC) while some are unplasticized(UPVC). There difference is the quantity of plastic content. PVC doesnt burn as many people misconceive. If u want to confirm, put a piece in fire and watch; any flame?
PVC is not as expensive as POP yet beautiful and easy and takes less time to install(to professionals*) compared to POP. It is light in weight therefore doesnt pose any threat to bad wood/nogging.
It emits no unhealthy agents.
In summary, either POP or PVC is just "cool" in your house.
Thanks for this, please what is the cost implication or market price in Nigeria today for a 3 bedroom bungalow.
Reply needed.
Re: What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by babatosan: 8:58pm On Dec 29, 2013
I hear PVC has poor heat absorbent properties compared to POP or asbestos. Rooms are therefore hotter! Is this true?
Re: What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by stevo4them(m): 11:40pm On Jan 23, 2019
babatosan:
I hear PVC has poor heat absorbent properties compared to POP or asbestos. Rooms are therefore hotter! Is this true?
Don't know yet...the person next to me can asist
Re: What's The Alternative To Asbestos Ceiling In Nigeria? by zoemeg(f): 8:43am On Jan 04, 2022
marvel10:
That said, if you wish to have work carried out to such standards. Feel free to contact me but I don't do jale o (haggling)...

Lol, you're funny.

Need A Building Plan/design For A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Okun Ajah Area / Fire At Ereko, Lagos Island! (Picture) / Construction Dairy Of A Seven Rooms Duplex .