Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,995 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Who Has A Copy Of Kevin Yank's Book "building Your Own Database Driven Website" - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Who Has A Copy Of Kevin Yank's Book "building Your Own Database Driven Website" (853 Views)

Design Database Driven Websites & Android Mobile Apps No Coding Skill Required / Learn how to Build A Database-driven Web Site Using Php And Mysql here / Best Approach To Implement "A Multi Step Database Driven Registration Forms" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Has A Copy Of Kevin Yank's Book "building Your Own Database Driven Website" by tundewoods(m): 4:02pm On Dec 10, 2007
I'm searching for a book by Kevin Yank titled "Building your own database driven website,Incase any of you have the electronic or pdf version".I 'd be glad if you can send me a copy.I use to have the book in 2003 but can't seem to remember where i placed it.

I actually need a chapter that touches how to write a mysql query statement for limiting character output or result.

Re: Who Has A Copy Of Kevin Yank's Book "building Your Own Database Driven Website" by bakenda(m): 6:14pm On Dec 10, 2007
Got the hard copy.
Re: Who Has A Copy Of Kevin Yank's Book "building Your Own Database Driven Website" by smartsoft(m): 9:04pm On Dec 10, 2007
How do i get the hard copy please ?
Re: Who Has A Copy Of Kevin Yank's Book "building Your Own Database Driven Website" by bakenda(m): 9:50pm On Dec 10, 2007
tundewoods:

I actually need a chapter that touches how to write a mysql query statement for limiting character output or result.

Is that all you need?One could just type that out here-and that would solve the problems.

smartsoft:

How do i get the hard copy please ?
Let's wait and see if someone's got the pdf-that would be easier to transfer.
But if u really want the hard copy-you can order from their site,sitepoint.com.
Dont know if you can get in Nigeria.Mine was bought from a bookshop in London.
Re: Who Has A Copy Of Kevin Yank's Book "building Your Own Database Driven Website" by tundewoods(m): 10:32pm On Dec 10, 2007
@ bakenda

You are certainly the chosen one i'm search for.I actually need the chapter that covers how to write a custom mysql select statement that will limit the characters from a specified field such as a text field of over 1000 characters to say about 75 words.

If you are very familar with the Book by Kevin Yank,you will notice that Kevin's database case study was a Jokes database.Now he gave a particular example of a mysql select statement that is expected to limit the output from the jokes text field in the JOKES TABLE to the first 50 characters.

"SELECT joke_id,joke_title,joke_text {Limit Character output to 75 characters} FROM JOKES WHERE date > 10/12/2007"
Re: Who Has A Copy Of Kevin Yank's Book "building Your Own Database Driven Website" by bakenda(m): 12:31am On Dec 11, 2007
If I got you right,I think what you want is a query that will pull out
the first few words of a particular field(joketext) from the database
and then you provide the reader/user a "read more" link that will
pull out the full story.If that is the case,you'll use the LEFT function
on the field(e.g joketext) you want to limit in the SELECT query.
Something like this:

"SELECT joke_id,joke_title,LEFT(joke_text,75) FROM JOKES WHERE date > '2007-12-01'";

This will select among other things the first(leftmost) 75 characters of joke_text from the JOKES table satisfying the stated date condition.

Hope that helps. wink
Re: Who Has A Copy Of Kevin Yank's Book "building Your Own Database Driven Website" by tundewoods(m): 6:57am On Dec 11, 2007
Thanks a million bakenda !! I owe you one.

(1) (Reply)

What Isp Do U Use? / Why Not Create Web Services And Web Apps? / Google Introduces Pagespeed: Improve Your Site's Speed And Performance.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.