Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,930 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? (1556 Views)

Foot Soldiers Like Amaechi And Lai Mohammed Help Dismantled Pdp And Not Saints. / Press Statement From DSS On Bokoharam Activities Accross Nigeria: Be Careful / Ex-militants Mount Road Blocks In Warri Over Amnesty Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by Odeku(m): 2:06pm On Apr 06, 2006
How do Nigeria's feel about dismantling of police road blocks across the nation?
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by kajad(m): 2:10pm On Apr 06, 2006
Good! Very Good!
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by Zahymaka(m): 3:20pm On Apr 06, 2006
No more forceful collection of 20 naira. That's very good.
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by otokx(m): 6:09pm On Apr 06, 2006
I don't believe this
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by Seun(m): 10:02pm On Apr 06, 2006
What a ridiculous idea.
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by Akolawole(m): 11:25pm On Apr 06, 2006
They may be collecting #20 but they are helpul at times.
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by Zahymaka(m): 11:51pm On Apr 06, 2006
They're supposed to be helpful 90% of the time -- not 1%.
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by otokx(m): 9:33am On Apr 07, 2006
the funny thing is that the same road blocks are used by armed robbers to wreck maximum damage on unsuspecting motorists. So next time when u see a road block afar off try to confirm whether its the police, mopol, soldier or thief.
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by Seun(m): 9:43am On Apr 07, 2006
If you think the Nigerian police is bad, try the Armed robbers.
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by Odeku(m): 1:55pm On Apr 07, 2006
all the developed countries i've been to, Like USA, France and canada do not have road blocks, and I think Nigeria should adopt this principles as well
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by kajad(m): 2:18pm On Apr 07, 2006
Seun:

If you think the Nigerian police is bad, try the Armed robbers.
And what is the difference?
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by Odeku(m): 2:23pm On Apr 07, 2006
The difference is Police protect, and arm robbers rob,lol grin
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by Zahymaka(m): 2:32pm On Apr 07, 2006
Nigerian police give armed robbers protection.
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by kajad(m): 2:57pm On Apr 07, 2006
Odeku:

The difference is Police protect, and arm robbers rob,lol grin
Sure you are talking about the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) or something?
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by gbadex1(m): 7:31pm On Apr 07, 2006
Seun:

What a ridiculous idea.

and why exactly is it ridiculous? there are countries worldwide that don't do roadblocks and yet their police is still striving. the roadblock idea itself has done more harm than good.

PS: abi ya uncle na police cheesy? (lol, just kidding)
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by Jakumo(m): 7:52am On Apr 08, 2006
Quite a few Nigerian policemen either rent their service rifles and ammunition to armed robbers, or actually moonlight as part-time armed robbers themselves.  Depriving such officers of their daily road-block income of  motorists'  "donations" will only serve to turm the police into full time armed robbers, since they are all expected to make cash returns to higher ranking officers back at the station, come hell or high water.

If an opinion poll were taken among Nigerian motorists regarding whether they would prefer to pay small change at road-blocks manned by on-duty policemen, or to lose their cars and possibly their lives at do-or-die road blocks manned by off-duty policemen-robbers, I think I know the stand most motorists would take.  Oga Odeku is absolutely right in saying that roadblocks do not exist in the industrialized West, other than those occasionally set up on weekend nights to monitor driver sobriety.
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by Odeku(m): 8:54pm On Apr 10, 2006
I am glad some people are actually seeing how this will be a good thing for Nigeria
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by UpNigeria1: 9:07pm On Apr 10, 2006
Yes they shoud be dismantled, but, yes but, as there is always a but with any change in life. My but is the road blocks shold come up in extrem cases, like chasing/looking for criminals, or detectives going about a real and live investigation. These road blocks should not be all day, just for a given period of time at unpredictable locations.
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by Rottweiler(m): 10:59pm On Apr 10, 2006
I am sometimes dissappointed at the replies of certain people on this forum. Do we need to have road blocks for the police to perform?  CAPITAL NO!!!!  I have travelled by road from the south-west to the south-south.  I do this a lot when I am on vacation because I love it. If you guys know what road users go through from Lagos to Ore down to Benin, Warri, Patani, Aba to Calabar, you would retract most of your comments.
A police on the highway knows you are at his mercies, because who would you cry to in the middle of nowhere? They stop you and ask for all sorts of non-existent documents. On one occasion, I was kept for almost 45mins just before Benin because I didn't have what the police officer called transfer of ownership certificate.  The clown actually saw my CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP CERTIFICATE! My wife and 2 kids were in the car sweating and crying. He only let us go when the sky turned dark and rain fell.  I cursed him from deep down.
Most of them are armed robbers in uniforms.
Re: Should Police Road Blocks Accross Nigeria Be Dismantled? by shilo23(m): 1:24pm On Sep 08, 2007
The police are not useful on the roads. They should look for a den and hide inside there and not t be terrorising innocent people and leaving the real konvicts.

(1) (Reply)

Majek Fashek Returns To The Streets / Abuja Bound Plane Loses Engine Mid Air / Lagos Deputy Governorship Debate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.