Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,596 members, 7,820,139 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly (35322 Views)

Exposed! Why Nigeria Olympic Team Failed In London / Nigeria's Olympic Team Beaten In Away Tanzania! / Wht Happ 2 Sunday Bada[nigeria's Olympic Gold Medalist]heard He Had An Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 9:55pm On Jul 23, 2012
London Olympics has something about it that makes me have hope in Nigeria's performance. Atlanta 96 was our best till date. But then, I think London can surpass that. We currently have very few 'gold medal sureties' but we have folks that can replicate Atlanta magic. I will list the sports we're taking part in and my view of our chances.

Athletics
No doubt Nigerian women are our best chances at any medal in athletics.
Blessing Okagbare has underlined her credentials. She runs 10:96 less than 20 days to Olympics finals. If she stays injury free, she will be a medal contender. I believe she can win a gold medal in 100m if she can stay fit and focussed. She has the psychological advantage over the best athletes in her group. She has beaten them in recent times. I believe she will break the African record of Gloria Alozie( 10:90).

It is a shame Damola Osayomi is not in shape. Damola could have also made the finals in 100m. Gloria Asumnu is Nigeria's other female 100m entrant. She will make the semi-finals but will need to work harder to get into the final 8. It is a big ask, but she can do it.

In 200m, I am excited at the prospect of watching Christy Udoh. A very young talent who is developing fast and a threat for the future. Lauretta Ozoh is a threat too, but there hangs a big drug issue on her head and she may not feature in London.

400m is the face am particularly interested in. Nigeria will be presenting 2 very young ladies who are raw talents. Omolara Omotosho and Regina George. One of them will win a gold in the next olympic games if they get a good training regime before next olympics.

For now, I think Regina will make the final (with hard work) and Lara will make the semis. Abogunloko should be the Okagbare of 400m, but she needs coach Innocent Egbunike to do more work on her. 400m will spring the biggest surprise.

We have a great coach in Innocent, and I believe the ladies are improving. Regina George has erased her PB so many times in the last 2 months.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:09pm On Jul 23, 2012
400m Hurdles; Ajoke Odumosu and Amaechi Morton will make the finals of the female and male events. Amaechi has a lot in his tank, so does Ajoke. I believe one of them can make the podium with hard work.

Long Jump: Blessing Okagbare will win a medal in Long Jump. Stanley Gbadeke may make the final in the men's event if he repeats what he did in Warri or does better

Triple Jump: Nigeria is not presenting any female triple jumper. Tosin Oke will make the final 12. Anything can happen in the final.

Heptathlon: We have a contender (Uhunoma Osazuwa), she will improve her PB and break Nigerian record. That will be enough achievement.

Relays: No men's relay team representing Nigeria (shame). Female 4x100 will win a medal if they pass baton round and make the best use of Damola Osayomi.

The 4x400 women will be in the final and in the top 5.

I have skipped the men sprinters because none will likely make the finals.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 23, 2012
what are our male athletes' prospects?
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:48pm On Jul 23, 2012
GenBuhari: what are our male athletes' prospects?
Almost ZERO! Apart from Amaechi Morton and Tosin Oke, I dont see any other male athlete likely to make it to the final of their events.
However, the male Basketball team might repeat the story of Atlanta 1996. Everything seems to be against them, but they have so far proven to be ready.

Male wrestler in person of Boltic (96kg freestyle) is a real prospect too.

Our male boxers are not that good.

Our best female boxer (Kehinde Obareh) missed out, she could have won a medal.

Table Tennis might be good, we have 4 veterans (Aruna Quadri, Segun Toriola, Funke Osonaike and Effiong). Segun Toriola can reach the singles Semi. Go on youtube to watch some of his best moments.

We have Mariam Usman who is a real contender in the women's +75Kg weightlifting, but Russians and Chinese dominate these sports.

Felix Ekpo in men's 77kg will also represent us. He may come top 5.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 23, 2012
wow .
I am impressed by your knowledge.

you must be an official with team Nigeria tongue smiley
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:57pm On Jul 23, 2012
Segun Toriola at last Olympic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKFYLb0fXFk
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:58pm On Jul 23, 2012
Segun Toriola punishes his opponent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl8ZVOf5qlU
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jul 23, 2012
Blessing is capable of a medal. I can not see her getting the gold though

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 11:15pm On Jul 23, 2012
Oh lest I forget...Blessing Oborodudu (apparently dating coach Igali, himself a former olympic gold medalist). Blessing is good. She can get to semi...She won the African championship.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 11:18pm On Jul 23, 2012
GenBuhari: Blessing is capable of a medal. I can not see her getting the gold though
Okagbare will win a medal at this olympics if she doesnt get injured. Gold will be asking too much in 100m, but she can do it. I dont think she needs to run below 10.80 to win the gold. A good sub 11 will win it. Long Jump is her surest bet yet. If I were her coach, I will concentrate on the long jump. Her speed and technique is gold standard.
And thanks to Bayelsa state for producing world class wrestlers.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by hardeyincah(m): 11:20pm On Jul 23, 2012
pls shed more light on dis Akinyemi Guy that qualified for canoeing/kayak..... What are his chances
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 11:27pm On Jul 23, 2012
hardeyincah: pls shed more light on dis Akinyemi Guy that qualified for canoeing/kayak..... What are his chances
I intend to go watch Johny. I sincerely wish him a miracle. The fact that he has chosen to represent Nigeria is a plus on its own. He has mixed well with the British team (favoured for medals). He is thrilled to be representing Nigeria. He defeated the Olympic Bronze medalist to get to this stage. He can get a podium finish. He believes in miracles. Why not?
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 11:34pm On Jul 23, 2012
Chika Chukwumerije is the 'golden boy' of team Nigeria. Rich dad, olympic medalist, and medal prospect. I just pray for unity in camp. Team Nigeria seems to have moved on under this new minister. He seems serious. I remember days when Nigerian relay sprinters used to intentionally drop batons. Nigeria's first appearance in London is going to be Muideen Akanji in the men's 75kg (middleweight) on saturday at around 3pm Nigerian time. I wish Muideen luck
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 11:36pm On Jul 23, 2012
wrong...Funke Oshonaike is 1st Nigerian on show. Women's singles is happening from 8:15am on saturday. I pray she gets a good draw. She's a veteran of sort.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 2:55am On Jul 24, 2012
Is that in tennis?
ola_pluto: wrong...Funke Oshonaike is 1st Nigerian on show. Women's singles is happening from 8:15am on saturday. I pray she gets a good draw. She's a veteran of sort.

Nigeria's only gold medals were both in 1996 - Chioma Ajunwa and Men's Football, so unless he represented another country, Igali could nt have won a gold for Nigeria.
ola_pluto: Oh lest I forget...Blessing Oborodudu (apparently dating coach Igali, himself a former olympic gold medalist). Blessing is good. She can get to semi...She won the African championship.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Kenneth205(m): 2:05pm On Jul 24, 2012
K
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by dabrake(m): 2:17pm On Jul 24, 2012
GenBuhari: what are our male athletes' prospects?
seun osewa
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Deiok(m): 2:26pm On Jul 24, 2012
What about the canoeist event . We have a male representator. [Johny )
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by HAH: 2:26pm On Jul 24, 2012
My biggest problem this Olympic is how to see all the games I love at the same time particularly those that clash in time. Well football start tomorrow. Cheers
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by HAH: 2:31pm On Jul 24, 2012
Mod is it possible to make this thread permanently on front page for the olympic duration
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by TheShopKeeper(m): 3:11pm On Jul 24, 2012
A very good analysis of the olympic team, I now have a list of names to look forward to.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 24, 2012
Is Nigerian large population useful to the Olympics at all?
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by StarrMatthieu: 3:21pm On Jul 24, 2012
Thanks a lot
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by DisGuy: 3:35pm On Jul 24, 2012
what are their seasons best, what are their personal best?

and she will break the nigerian record, really? what is the nigerian record basically you are saying all of them will get a medal cheesy

i've been looking for their page on facebook etc absolutely none

Front page!!
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by wesley80(m): 3:57pm On Jul 24, 2012
GenBuhari:

Is that in tennis?

Nigeria's only gold medals were both in 1996 - Chioma Ajunwa and Men's Football, so unless he represented another country, Igali could nt have won a gold for Nigeria.
I think Igali won his Wrestling Gold Medal for Canada.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Jamesqu(m): 3:58pm On Jul 24, 2012
Oh, how I long for the days of Atlanta 96...up until Chioma's gold everything was looking bleak, but immediately she won...everyone was like I must get me a medal too o...and the harvest started, Falilat, Onyali etc.

But I'm a bit pessimistic about London. While Blessing is having a good year her events are highly technical. You will recall that she only got the Bronze (Long Jump) in Beijing due to one of the finalist failing a dope test and opened the door for her to try her luck. She must learn from Ajunwa, the first jump is the ultimate....she must produce a 7.00 at least in the first round where she has only three attempts. Then in the final, she must do at least a 7.10 to medal from her first jump...I wish her the best.

She beat the Jamaicans in Monaco (10.96) in the 100m just last week, so she is in form...I expect her to get to the final but must match Alozie's AR of 10.90 to medal...If she can't do a sub 10.00 in the final, there's no hope for her....the Jamaicans and Americans are doing this esily, remember 10.96 is even her PB.

Ajoke Odumosu (CommonWealth Champ) too is a hope...I doubt she has doen a sun 50 yet and that is what will be required for a medal....Falilat didi an AR of 49.10 to win just Bronze and Cathy Freeman did a 47s for the gold so she knows what is expected of her. But games differ and some 400mW have been won with less time with the quality of the field largely determinant.

I have absolutely no hope in the realys. The field is tough and we don't have any of our top 4 athletes being consistent. At barcelona 92 we had 2 men each in the 100mM and 200mM final so our Silver in the 4x100m was expected. These were guys doing sub 10s. Utondu, Opara-Thompson, Idehen and Onyali too were a superb team and only got Bronze...except one of the favs mess-up...I dont have any hope here. The 400m is even worse..the women may nibble the final but the men....

Vivian threw (Short Put) an AR (I believe) of 18.96 in Benin recently, she may make the final but then its anybody's...she is an experienced and seasoned athlete so she MUST make the final after all these years. I believe that is also in the top 15 best throws of the year or something like that.

Chukwumerije MUST medal too in the taekwondo. Had a ridiculous Bronze instead of gold at Beijing (injury, I think) and struggled to qualify. In form now so I am expectant. In think this is my biggest hope anyway.

Our boxing has completely collapsed. I think we have only 2 or so boxers at the games, appaulling! Weight-lifting...smh.

Except our Basketballers can draw inspiration from Kanu et al, it will be tough. Quite commendable they beat Dominican and shockingly Greece to qualify but....their group is fire. If they fail to beat Tunisia on Sunday then they might as well leave. beating Tunisia and a bit of luck will see them to the quarter-final. they need to come 4th in a 6 team group. If they beat Tunisia, manage a result against France (beans)....then Lithuania, USA....it wont be easy but ask Bebeto and Argentina how Kanu and co dealt with them.

In Summary, best case Chukwumerije Gold, Blessing Silver (LJ) Bronze (100mW), Ajoke Bronze (400mW) and Bronze (4x400mW)....anything short of this would be a disaster.....I can't wait. I love the Olympics.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Jamesqu(m): 4:02pm On Jul 24, 2012
GenBuhari:

Is that in tennis?

We have three gold now with the award of the Sydney 4x400mM gold to us following Pettigrew's drug scandal..shame Bada is not around to receive his...
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by HAH: 4:08pm On Jul 24, 2012
Jamesqu: Oh, how I long for the days of Atlanta 96...up until Chioma's gold everything was looking bleak, but immediately she won...everyone was like I must get me a medal too o...and the harvest started, Falilat, Onyali etc.

But I'm a bit pessimistic about London. While Blessing is having a good year her events are highly technical. You will recall that she only got the Bronze (Long Jump) in Beijing due to one of the finalist failing a dope test and opened the door for her to try her luck. She must learn from Ajunwa, the first jump is the ultimate....she must produce a 7.00 at least in the first round where she has only three attempts. Then in the final, she must do at least a 7.10 to medal from her first jump...I wish her the best.

She beat the Jamaicans in Monaco (10.96) in the 100m just last week, so she is in form...I expect her to get to the final but must match Alozie's AR of 10.90 to medal...If she can't do a sub 10.00 in the final, there's no hope for her....the Jamaicans and Americans are doing this esily, remember 10.96 is even her PB.

Ajoke Odumosu (CommonWealth Champ) too is a hope...I doubt she has doen a sun 50 yet and that is what will be required for a medal....Falilat didi an AR of 49.10 to win just Bronze and Cathy Freeman did a 47s for the gold so she knows what is expected of her. But games differ and some 400mW have been won with less time with the quality of the field largely determinant. Nice one think you are objective but whar of table tennis any hope?

I have absolutely no hope in the realys. The field is tough and we don't have any of our top 4 athletes being consistent. At barcelona 92 we had 2 men each in the 100mM and 200mM final so our Silver in the 4x100m was expected. These were guys doing sub 10s. Utondu, Opara-Thompson, Idehen and Onyali too were a superb team and only got Bronze...except one of the favs mess-up...I dont have any hope here. The 400m is even worse..the women may nibble the final but the men....

Vivian threw (Short Put) an AR (I believe) of 18.96 in Benin recently, she may make the final but then its anybody's...she is an experienced and seasoned athlete so she MUST make the final after all these years. I believe that is also in the top 15 best throws of the year or something like that.

Chukwumerije MUST medal too in the taekwondo. Had a ridiculous Bronze instead of gold at Beijing (injury, I think) and struggled to qualify. In form now so I am expectant. In think this is my biggest hope anyway.

Our boxing has completely collapsed. I think we have only 2 or so boxers at the games, appaulling! Weight-lifting...smh.

Except our Basketballers can draw inspiration from Kanu et al, it will be tough. Quite commendable they beat Dominican and shockingly Greece to qualify but....their group is fire. If they fail to beat Tunisia on Sunday then they might as well leave. beating Tunisia and a bit of luck will see them to the quarter-final. they need to come 4th in a 6 team group. If they beat Tunisia, manage a result against France (beans)....then Lithuania, USA....it wont be easy but ask Bebeto and Argentina how Kanu and co dealt with them.

In Summary, best case Chukwumerije Gold, Blessing Silver (LJ) Bronze (100mW), Ajoke Bronze (400mW) and Bronze (4x400mW)....anything short of this would be a disaster.....I can't wait. I love the Olympics.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by faithin9ja: 4:09pm On Jul 24, 2012
ola_pluto: London Olympics has something about it that makes me have hope in Nigeria's performance. Atlanta 96 was our best till date. But then, I think London can surpass that. We currently have very few 'gold medal sureties' but we have folks that can replicate Atlanta magic. I will list the sports we're taking part in and my view of our chances.

Athletics
No doubt Nigerian women are our best chances at any medal in athletics.
Blessing Okagbare has underlined her credentials. She runs 10:96 less than 20 days to Olympics finals. If she stays injury free, she will be a medal contender. I believe she can win a gold medal in 100m if she can stay fit and focussed. She has the psychological advantage over the best athletes in her group. She has beaten them in recent times. I believe she will break the African record of Gloria Alozie( 10:90).

It is a shame Damola Osayomi is not in shape. Damola could have also made the finals in 100m. Gloria Asumnu is Nigeria's other female 100m entrant. She will make the semi-finals but will need to work harder to get into the final 8. It is a big ask, but she can do it.

In 200m, I am excited at the prospect of watching Christy Udoh. A very young talent who is developing fast and a threat for the future. Lauretta Ozoh is a threat too, but there hangs a big drug issue on her head and she may not feature in London.

400m is the face am particularly interested in. Nigeria will be presenting 2 very young ladies who are raw talents. Omolara Omotosho and Regina George. One of them will win a gold in the next olympic games if they get a good training regime before next olympics.

For now, I think Regina will make the final (with hard work) and Lara will make the semis. Abogunloko should be the Okagbare of 400m, but she needs coach Innocent Egbunike to do more work on her. 400m will spring the biggest surprise.

We have a great coach in Innocent, and I believe the ladies are improving. Regina George has erased her PB so many times in the last 2 months.

Great post, keep it up smiley smiley smiley
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 4:58pm On Jul 24, 2012
It would be very difficult 4 Nigeria to win medals at d Olympics. we have never done well in any Olympic game, and I don't expect dis to be any different.

100 meters- Blessing Okagbare has shown dat she is a very good talent, but I know 4 sure dat d women 100 meters and d men's 5,000 meters would be by far d most competitive race at d Olympics. D female 100m has about 9 very good athletes who would give Blessing a vey difficult time. D Americans and jamaicans had just peaked 4 their trials wen Blessing came to start winning them. I think she would run a 10.8 at d Olympics, but am not sure if dat would be good enough 4 d gold. I hope she gets at least a bronze. D men would do well to even get to d semi- finals
400 m hurdles - Ajoke has shown dat she is d most erratic athlete we have ever had. She has d ability to win average runners, but wen she is running against d best, she does not just perform. I sincerely would be surprised if she makes d final because she is about d tenth fastest in d world. in d men's race Ameachi hardly runs, but has recorded some good times at d beginning of d season. I hope he makes d finals.

long jump - Okagbare is just an amazing talent and I would be happy if she gets a medal here. this female long jump field is so competitive. I think she has to pray to make d finals, b4 even thinking of winning a medal. She had two very good jumps in Nigeria and Benin. those jumps makes her only d ninth best in d world with othe very talented athletes not even jumping as well so far. I expects her to get a medal only if she can make d finals. in d men I don't expect anything

relay - d female 4 x 100 meters team can get a bronze if they are lucky
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 5:20pm On Jul 24, 2012
apat from athletics it is possible 4 us to pick up one or two medals in other sports.
boxing - our best chance here lies with d female boxer who would compete at d olympics. I hope she gets a medal

Taewondo - This sport gave us lots of fun at d last Olympics, but I think it would be difficult to win any medal this time around. in d two weight categories we are competing, our athletes are not even seeded among d best 8 in their categories, and there are only 16 competitors in each categories

Weightlifting - we will be lucky to win any medal here. Expo would not win a medal, he could not even win d commonwealth games. D female athlete I think was fifth at d last Olympic, but d difference between her and d third place athlete was so wide.

Basketball - we should just enjoy d games and hope 4 d best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Mikel Obi's Babymama, Olga Enjoying Movie Nights With Their Daughter Mia & Ava. / Thiago Silva: PSG Signing Sergio Ramos Made Me Sad / Athletics Strongman, Brown Ebewele Is Dead! (Jujuman Dies At 63)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.