Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly (35310 Views)

Exposed! Why Nigeria Olympic Team Failed In London / Nigeria's Olympic Team Beaten In Away Tanzania! / Wht Happ 2 Sunday Bada[nigeria's Olympic Gold Medalist]heard He Had An Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by chic2pimp(m): 7:25pm On Jul 25, 2012
ayusco: Ordinarily based on blessings pb I wld hav concured with chic2pimp that she might not win a medal but she's been improvin race by race n peakin @ d rite time plus she beaten most of the contenders so there will b no inferiority complex on her part. Shout out to the d'tigers cool b-ballers. Great job ola_pluto keep it up
Most of these top athletes don't have inferiority unless your name is Asafa Powell however the faster athlete more often than not wins.

GenBuhari: I think I have to agree with your analysis. however what she has in her favour is the element of a young woman who is improving by the day and there is just an unknown element of how much she can improve when in the olympic final.

If she runs under 10.9 I don't doubt she can win a medal. However as of now with all the evidence at hand that's unlikely. As I said before I hope she actually wins a Medal cuz it will do wonders for Nigerian/African Sprinting.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jul 25, 2012
Now following.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by touchmehard: 1:39pm On Jul 26, 2012
Wow see what I've been missing!
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 9:50pm On Jul 26, 2012
Olympics officially starts tomorrow. I will try to list activities involving Nigeria day by day. I will also (painfully) update as each Nigerian is eliminated.
Friday 27th August is the first Nigerian involvement. Opening ceremony. Flag was supposed to be carried by Mariam Usman, our brilliant female weightlifter(+75kg). However, for 'tactical reasons', Boltic (our flagship male wrestler, well ranked worldwide and olympian) will be carrying the flag. Boltic is from Bayelsa state...figure the rest.
Saturday 28th: Nigeria's first match. Funke Oshonaike will start at 9am Nigerian time against Shahsavari Neda from Iran. I do not know about the opponent, but I am confident Funke will make it. I predict 3-1. Edem Offiong will play against a tough Egyptian Meshref Dina at same time. Wish them both victory.
45 minutes later, Nigeria's finest table tennis player, Oluwasegun Toriola, will play against Ho Andre of Canada. Segun is good, but Asians are always tough, never mind they represent another country. Aruna Quadri will not take part in the qualifying round. He will feature in the 1st round match (4pm Nigerian time) against Carlos Machado of Spain. Good luck to all of them! Game ON!
Later on Saturday, Nigeria's Muideen Akanji will fight a yet unknown opponent in Boxing. Let us support our sportsmen and women with prayers. They need it. Anything is possible.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:10pm On Jul 26, 2012
Meet Funke. Appearing in her 5th Olympic games. Also Aruna Quadri...

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:13pm On Jul 26, 2012
Our Ladies are ready. Nice kit! Team Nigeria Jor!

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 11:26pm On Jul 26, 2012
I will be following Nigeria from next weekend. Now I will just enjoy d boxing, weightlifting, and swimming.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by DisGuy: 11:35pm On Jul 26, 2012
ola_pluto: Olympics officially starts tomorrow. I will try to list activities involving Nigeria day by day. I will also (painfully) update as each Nigerian is eliminated.
Friday 27th August is the first Nigerian involvement. Opening ceremony. Flag was supposed to be carried by Mariam Usman, our brilliant female weightlifter(+75kg). However, for 'tactical reasons', Boltic (our flagship male wrestler, well ranked worldwide and olympian) will be carrying the flag. Boltic is from Bayelsa state...figure the rest.
Saturday 28th: Nigeria's first match. Funke Oshonaike will start at 9am Nigerian time against Shahsavari Neda from Iran. I do not know about the opponent, but I am confident Funke will make it. I predict 3-1. Edem Offiong will play against a tough Egyptian Meshref Dina at same time. Wish them both victory.
45 minutes later, Nigeria's finest table tennis player, Oluwasegun Toriola, will play against Ho Andre of Canada. Segun is good, but Asians are always tough, never mind they represent another country. Aruna Quadri will not take part in the qualifying round. He will feature in the 1st round match (4pm Nigerian time) against Carlos Machado of Spain. Good luck to all of them! Game ON!
Later on Saturday, Nigeria's Muideen Akanji will fight a yet unknown opponent in Boxing. Let us support our sportsmen and women with prayers. They need it. Anything is possible.

FFS is Ebele the main sponsor of this outing or this is just a money making

what event does the five time Olympian compete in? he/she should have been the flag bearer!
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 11:40pm On Jul 26, 2012
Dis Guy:

what event does the five time Olympian compete in? he/she should have been the flag bearer!
Segun Toriola is competing in his SIXTH olympics. Funke Oshonaike competing in her 5th! Both table tennis players. That is 24 and 20 years! They are veterans!
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by chic2pimp(m): 12:10am On Jul 27, 2012
So PDP don carry their ojoro come Olympics.

Tis wan na real wa ooo.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by naptu2: 6:30am On Jul 27, 2012
A quick look back as the games are officially opened today. Nigeria's olympic athletes of the past.

Daniel Amokachi
Mary Onyali
Falilat Ogunkoya
Olapade Adeniken

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by naptu2: 6:34am On Jul 27, 2012
Dream team
Davidson Ezenwa
Osmond Ezenwa
Chioma Ajunwa

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by naptu2: 6:45am On Jul 27, 2012
Mary Onyali, Beatrice Utondu, Christy Opara-Thompson and Tina Iheagwam.

Beatrice Utondu, Christy Opara-Thompson and Tina Iheagwam

Sunday Bada

Emmanuel Peters Oghenejobo (silver medalist @ Taekwondo @ Barcelona '92)

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by naptu2: 6:53am On Jul 27, 2012
Chika Chukwumerije: Bronze medallist, Taekwondo Men's +80 kg, @ the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Mfon Udoka

Mactabene Amachree

Atanda Musa

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by naptu2: 6:56am On Jul 27, 2012
Mary Onyali

Falilat Ogunkoya

Chioma Ajunwa

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by naptu2: 6:58am On Jul 27, 2012
Lastly

Glory Alozie

Francis Obikwelu

Richard Igbineghu (Nig. in Blue) VS Roberto Balado (Cuba in Red). Final of the Super-Heavyweight (over 91 kilograms) Boxing event at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, Spain. Balado won.

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 7:45am On Jul 27, 2012
ola_pluto:
Segun Toriola is competing in his SIXTH olympics. Funke Oshonaike competing in her 5th! Both table tennis players. That is 24 and 20 years! They are veterans!
So how old are they now? Am curious to know.... Cos am having doubt about your stat... 6th Olympic ke? Except you are including the previous Commonwealth games which they were frequent
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by naptu2: 8:16am On Jul 27, 2012
ogbeche77:
So how old are they now? Am curious to know.... Cos am having doubt about your stat... 6th Olympic ke? Except you are including the previous Commonwealth games which they were frequent

He is quite correct. I've been watching those guys on NTA Sportsworld since the early 1990s. Here's their dates of birth and olympic records.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segun_Toriola

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/os/funke-oshonaike-1.html
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by enomakos(m): 1:10pm On Jul 27, 2012
that blessing is really sexy
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by hardeyincah(m): 2:45pm On Jul 27, 2012
naptu2:

He is quite correct. I've been watching those guys on NTA Sportsworld since the early 1990s. Here's their dates of birth and olympic records.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segun_Toriola

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/os/funke-oshonaike-1.html

thanks a lot, av bin worried to know their age
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by naptu2: 3:23pm On Jul 27, 2012
ola_pluto: Opening ceremony. Flag was supposed to be carried by Mariam Usman, our brilliant female weightlifter(+75kg). However, for 'tactical reasons', Boltic (our flagship male wrestler, well ranked worldwide and olympian) will be carrying the flag. Boltic is from Bayelsa state...figure the rest.

Dis Guy:

The Team Nigeria ended its preparation for the ceremony on Thursday with the position of flag bearer changing hands. Instead of Usman Maryam, Boltic Sinivie – a 96kg freestyle wrestler-will carry Nigerian flag later today.

The change came after a meeting held Thursday afternoon at the Games Village. Deputy Chef de Mission for the country, Al-Hassan Yakmut, said the change became necessary after Maryam’s coach suggested that she was better off not playing that role in view of her early competition on Saturday following the opening event .

Yakmut said, “The opening ceremony is going to stretch into the early morning of Saturday and Maryam will be fighting soon after the ceremony. It is for strategic reasons. We don’t want to wear her out in the ceremonies.

“Boltic is not new to events like this. He has been around and has won several medals for Nigeria at international events’’ he said.

The change is limited to that of the flag bearer for the march past. Team Captain remains the same as the Beijing Olympics bronze medallist, Chika Chukwumerije.

http://www.punchng.com/sports/olympics-games-start-today/
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by DeJeffo: 4:52pm On Jul 27, 2012
Out Of 115 people going for the Olympics, only 55 are actually athletes, Who d hell are the other 60?!! Must Everything in this country be an opportunity to chop government money?
http://i2sabi.com/2012/07/prepare-to-be-irked/
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jul 27, 2012
Wonderful opening ceremony!
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:17pm On Jul 27, 2012
naptu2:
The Team Nigeria ended its preparation for the ceremony on Thursday with the position of flag bearer changing hands. Instead of Usman Maryam, Boltic Sinivie – a 96kg freestyle wrestler-will carry Nigerian flag later today.

The change came after a meeting held Thursday afternoon at the Games Village. Deputy Chef de Mission for the country, Al-Hassan Yakmut, said the change became necessary after Maryam’s coach suggested that she was better off not playing that role in view of her early competition on Saturday following the opening event .

Yakmut said, “The opening ceremony is going to stretch into the early morning of Saturday and Maryam will be fighting soon after the ceremony. It is for strategic reasons. We don’t want to wear her out in the ceremonies.

“Boltic is not new to events like this. He has been around and has won several medals for Nigeria at international events’’ he said.

The change is limited to that of the flag bearer for the march past. Team Captain remains the same as the Beijing Olympics bronze medallist, Chika Chukwumerije.

http://www.punchng.com/sports/olympics-games-start-today/

dishonest man! Mariam Usman is not even on till next week. Anyways, I am eagerly waiting for the attire of Team Nigeria. I have seen the logo, and I am angry about it. I will wait for people to see and pass comment
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:22pm On Jul 27, 2012
Here comes Greece....Eagerly waiting to see Boltic carry Nigeria's flag! What a moment it will be
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by fredoooooo: 11:47pm On Jul 27, 2012
My best athlete ever MARY ONYALI
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 2:24am On Jul 28, 2012
Satuday 28th July, Day 1 of Olympics.
Nigerians in action + time. All time in Nigerian time.
09:00- Funke Oshonaike in Women's Table Tennis single
09:00- Edem Offiong in Women's Table Tennis single. Both preliminary
09:45- Segun Toriola in Men's singles Prelim
15:15- Muideen Akanji in Men's Middleweight against Darren O'Neill of Ireland.
16:00- Aruna Quadri in Men's singles table tennis. Segun Toriola expected to join him if he makes it out of preliminaries.
If Funke and Edem progess, they will play at 11:00 for the First Round. I will expect Funke to progress easily. This is her 5th Olympic. Edem too can dig deep against the Egyptian.
Muideen Akanji is a typical Nigerian boxer. I expect him to beat the Irish. Should be a 100% day 1 for Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 2:39am On Jul 28, 2012

Na wa oooooo.Maryam usman fights next week Saturday.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by DisGuy: 9:06am On Jul 28, 2012
ola_pluto:
dishonest man! Mariam Usman is not even on till next week. Anyways, I am eagerly waiting for the attire of Team Nigeria. I have seen the logo, and I am angry about it. I will wait for people to see and pass comment

Sad thing is no nigerian journalist will pick him up on this!! they will probably be grateful for the little hand out the committee will dash out
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 9:11am On Jul 28, 2012
Funke Oshonaike loses 1st set to the Indian. 13-11 it ends...game still on
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by fredoooooo: 9:11am On Jul 28, 2012
DeJeffo: Out Of 115 people going for the Olympics, only 55 are actually athletes, Who d hell are the other 60?!! Must Everything in this country be an opportunity to chop government money?
http://i2sabi.com/2012/07/prepare-to-be-irked/

that is 9ja for you , officials more than athletes grin
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by fredoooooo: 9:11am On Jul 28, 2012
ola_pluto: Funke Oshonaike loses 1st set to the Indian. 13-11 it ends...game still on

still looking for the link to watch angry angry angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Mikel Obi's Twins Turn 6-Month-Old / Athletics Strongman, Brown Ebewele Is Dead! (Jujuman Dies At 63) / Super Falcons Arrive Nigeria With Their Trophy After Record Title Win. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.