Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,471 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (150) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1838524 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) ... (906) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 10, 2014
lomaxx:

I dey miss yu scatter.
Seriously embarassed embarassed

aaaaaaawwwwwww
I miss you too, sweetie kiss

should get a new phone soon and be back on BBM cool
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 12:14pm On Jul 10, 2014
alutacontinua:

aaaaaaawwwwwww
I miss you too, sweetie kiss

should get a new phone soon and be back on BBM cool

-Sure.
-We have a lot to talk about.
-Hope you're enjoying our erratic power supply and our amala
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 12:42pm On Jul 10, 2014
Hello house...been a while...Respects to the chiefs in the house...been busy with 1st mb...finally done...results was released yesterday...it went well (Anat.D)...Chiefs pls I need your advice on where and how to channel my strength in the books and which books I should get for this class.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 12:54pm On Jul 10, 2014
ebsuguy: Hello house...been a while...Respects to the chiefs in the house...been busy with 1st mb...finally done...results was released yesterday...it went well (Anat.D)...Chiefs pls I need your advice on where and how to channel my strength in the books and which books I should get for this class.

You had a distinction in Anatomy?
Bro I'm happy for you.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 1:47pm On Jul 10, 2014
[quote author=lomaxx]
You had a distinction in Anatomy?
Bro I'm happy for you.
[/quo

Practically Yes[right][/right]
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 1:56pm On Jul 10, 2014
[quote author=ebsuguy][/quote]

I believe the current pre-clinical folks are eager to learn from your experience. The methods you adopted, study techniques, books you used, what your strongest point was, any mistakes and also the other courses.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 10, 2014
lomaxx:
-Sure.
-We have a lot to talk about.
-Hope you're enjoying our erratic power supply and our amala

hmmmmmmmm
I left naija since oo
that power supply ish can make someone crazy undecided
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 2:00pm On Jul 10, 2014
alutacontinua:

hmmmmmmmm
I left naija since oo
that power supply ish can make someone crazy undecided

So you left.
Wow!
You still have email access right?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 10, 2014
lomaxx:

So you left.
Wow!
You still have email access right?

sure cool
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 2:13pm On Jul 10, 2014
alutacontinua:

sure cool

-Right.
-We go relate
-Have a splendid day
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tgal20: 7:43pm On Jul 10, 2014
ebsuguy: Hello house...been a while...Respects to the chiefs in the house...been busy with 1st mb...finally done...results was released yesterday...it went well (Anat.D)...Chiefs pls I need your advice on where and how to channel my strength in the books and which books I should get for this class.
wow congrats! Wat med sch re yu in?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jul 10, 2014
tgal20: wow congrats! Wat med sch re yu in?
Not fair oo! Reply me nau! plz wen is ur access bank test?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tgal20: 3:52am On Jul 11, 2014
PrincessElla:
Not fair oo! Reply me nau! plz wen is ur access bank test?
its not me... A frnd. Nd she wrote it on monday already
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by JewelBukky(f): 4:27am On Jul 11, 2014
lomaxx:

Thanks.
Hope you're sailing fairly
sure! Thank you.
musty001: Hmmm!
JewelBukky,lngest tyme.
heeyy! Dr Musty! Quite an age. Uve been an e-incommunicado. Hw's ABU?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:35am On Jul 11, 2014
Yes Oooooooo
lomaxx:

I believe the current pre-clinical folks are eager to learn from your experience. The methods you adopted, study techniques, books you used, what your strongest point was, any mistakes and also the other courses.
#seconded

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 11, 2014
When did Ebsu take 1st mbbs? Thought they are still planning to take it?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by musty001: 7:43am On Jul 11, 2014
JewelBukky: heeyy! Dr Musty! Quite an age. Uve been an e-incommunicado. Hw's ABU?
Ahhh! no b so o.
ABU x fine.
Hw ur side?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Doclight(m): 2:30pm On Jul 11, 2014
please is does lasu have a good medical school?

Or would i be wasting my time there?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 13, 2014
I have a first degree in chemistry, I want to further my education but I'm a little confused....

Should I pick an MSC form for clinical pharmacology ( is there a department in the hospital that can enable me to work as a pharmacologist?)

Should I just go straight to MSC public health and lastly

Should I just pick a DE form 4 medicine?
Although I'm also considering the number of years I'll spend studying again so the last option is strictly my mum's opinion, not mine....

But pls, what do you guys think And advice.....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jorrn: 12:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
Need help
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 7:21am On Jul 14, 2014
lomaxx:

Sorry about my late reply..
1.Methods Adopted:study yourself so you know when you assimilate well.Don't joke with class notes and then make a comprehensive note of each topic...comprehensive I mean adding some stuffs from Keith Moore or last to your class notes before presenting it on the day of exam,if asked.
2.Books:Keith Moore,charausia,indebirsign(histology and neuro),Sadler and online perusing.
3.Strongest points:Give an outline for each questions asked before you begin and bullet your points.
E.g Using pectoralis minor as a landmark muscle,described the gross anatomy of the Axillary artery.
Outline:
*DIAGRAM(VERY IMPORTANT)
*Pectoralis minor (origin,insertion,nerve supply and action)
*Axillary artery(location,extent,parts,branches and relations) etc
4.Mistakes:Don't be overconfident...it kills...be humble to your colleagues and your lecturers... I missed some lecture in a particular incourse and you won't want to know what I scored in anatomy that in course.
5.Other courses:Yes...give all of them time...don't give anatomy more time than others...if you pass anatomy and fail the other two,you are going no where... What helped me is that I don't procrastinate ....after lecture, no matter how tired I am,I must make my notes...

And lastly,I believe bf-gf relationship is a barrier...though it might work for others but not for me....recreations:sorry my social life is poor.I only watch football when am free...though am working on it shaw

6 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 7:22am On Jul 14, 2014
tgal20: wow congrats! Wat med sch re yu in?
Ebonyi state university, Abakaliki,Ebonyi state(EBSU)
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 7:23am On Jul 14, 2014
chimoz:
When did Ebsu take 1st mbbs? Thought they are still planning to take it?

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 7:43am On Jul 14, 2014
Sir Lomax pls o your help is needed on textbooks to acquire,how to study,which is best to begin with etcetera
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 14, 2014
Thanks for the tips @ebsuguy....
which textbook do you think is d best for biochem?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 8:38am On Jul 14, 2014
DrHesjay: Thanks for the tips @ebsuguy....
which textbook do you think is d best for biochem?

Jaypee....but note that jayper is a publishing company so go for the India text they have for medical students...sorry can't remember the name...you could go for Harpers

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Aypoppin(m): 10:58pm On Jul 14, 2014
Chai yyyy we doin dose courses. 100level na advanced repitition
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 5:34pm On Jul 15, 2014
estyann: I have a first degree in chemistry, I want to further my education but I'm a little confused....

Should I pick an MSC form for clinical pharmacology ( is there a department in the hospital that can enable me to work as a pharmacologist?)

Should I just go straight to MSC public health and lastly

Should I just pick a DE form 4 medicine?
Although I'm also considering the number of years I'll spend studying again so the last option is strictly my mum's opinion, not mine....

But pls, what do you guys think And advice.....

Msc for pharmacology may not land you a job in a Nigerian hospital, to the best of my knowledge. Your knowledge will be more needed in pharma and industry and moreso research.

Msc public health is doable. I won't advise you to go directly into public health. Take one of the subspecialties and do it in Masters. Health Economics, Epidemiology, Environmental Health etc. Health Economics is hotcake right now- and will be in years to come.

DE for MBBS is purely a personal choice. Considering the number of years, no one needs to tell you what to do on this one. It had to be something you really want to do. That's the way I see it.

Having a science based degree is a basis for offshoot into any potential field you want to. You really can do a lot with a first degree in chemistry.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 9:24pm On Jul 15, 2014
ebsuguy: Sir Lomax pls o your help is needed on textbooks to acquire,how to study,which is best to begin with etcetera

So you're about to begin your clinical years. First thing I would tell you is that life would never be the same again. Clinicals is a different ball game entirely, but the same principles apply. Whatever formula that has been helping you, apply same here.

In clinicals, there is a whole lot to learn in a micrscopically short period of time. The strategy here is to learn as much as you can when you can. Don't wait for special moments- you may never have them.

Beginning from the first clinical year you'll have : Pathology, and Pharmacology.

Pathology is subdivided into Histopathology, Haematology, Medical Microbiology and Chemical Pathology.

For Pathology, many people will tell you they used Robbins and Cortan Pathologic Basis of Disease. Well, I stopped using it after my first test in Pathology because I found other greener pastures.

1) Concise Pathology by Para Chandrasoma, and Clive Roy Taylor(best textbook ever). It was carefully remixed with:

2) Pathology Secrets ( adapted from Robbins and Cortran Pathologic Basis of Disease); and

3) Lecture Notes from http://www.pathguy.com (best for MCQs)

-Hematology:
I used
1) Hoffbrand Hematology and
2) Zako's Hematology Notes (Just Google it and it will take you to the link). Perfect for brushing up stuff.

Medical Microbiology

There's a lot of stuff on Medical Microbiology. I used:

1) Jawetz, Melnick, & Adelberg's Medical Microbiology

2) Medscape (online stuff).

Chemical Pathology. A lot of people used Martin Crook Clinical Chemistry and Metabolic Medicine. Never used that. Mine was:

1) A Primer of Chemical Pathology Evelyn S. C. Koay, Robert Noel Walmsley. Carefully remixed with

2) Medical Biochemistry by Charteajea ( I was always among the top 3% in chemical pathology. This never failed)

Then for Pharmaology.

1) Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, by Bertram G. Katzung(depending on the time you have. Never used it. Only decorated my reading table)

2) BRS Pharmacology ( it's very concise. )

3) USMLE Pharmacology ( don't know where I would have been in Pharm but not for this book. My 2ND MB Exam in Pharm was epic. From the MCQs to the Essay to the Viva. This book played a pivot role)

Internal Medicine. You'll be doing postings in internal medicine as well.

1) R. Alagappan A Manual of Practical Medicine.( Everything you'll ever be asked in Ward Rounds will be in this book)

2) API Textbook of Medicine( I don't fancy Davidson and Kumar and Clark. This one serves me perfectly)

3) Oxford Handbook of Medicine (should always be in your pocket )

Surgery

1) Principles and Practice of Surgery in the Tropics - Badoe and Achampong

2) SRB's Manual of Surgery( you'll need this for exam)

3) SRB's Clinial Methods in Surgery(very necessary )

4) Norman Browse's Introduction to the Symptoms and Signs of Surgical Diseases

With all these, you are armed to conquer.

9 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 10:29pm On Jul 15, 2014
lomaxx:
So you're about to begin your clinical years. First thing I would tell you is that life would never be the same again. Clinicals is a different ball game entirely, but the same principles apply. Whatever formula that has been helping you, apply same here.
In clinicals, there is a whole lot to learn in a micrscopically short period of time. The strategy here is to learn as much as you can when you can. Don't wait for special moments- you may never have them.
Beginning from the first clinical year you'll have : Pathology, and Pharmacology.
Pathology is subdivided into Histopathology, Haematology, Medical Microbiology and Chemical Pathology.
For Pathology, many people will tell you they used Robbins and Cortan Pathologic Basis of Disease. Well, I stopped using it after my first test in Pathology because I found other greener pastures.
1) Concise Pathology by Para Chandrasoma, and Clive Roy Taylor(best textbook ever). It was carefully remixed with:
2) Pathology Secrets ( adapted from Robbins and Cortran Pathologic Basis of Disease); and
3) Lecture Notes from http://www.pathguy.com (best for MCQs)
-Hematology:
I used
1) Hoffbrand Hematology and
2) Zako's Hematology Notes (Just Google it and it will take you to the link). Perfect for brushing up stuff.
Medical Microbiology
There's a lot of stuff on Medical Microbiology. I used:
1) Jawetz, Melnick, & Adelberg's Medical Microbiology
2) Medscape (online stuff).
Chemical Pathology. A lot of people used Martin Crook Clinical Chemistry and Metabolic Medicine. Never used that. Mine was:
1) A Primer of Chemical Pathology Evelyn S. C. Koay, Robert Noel Walmsley. Carefully remixed with
2) Medical Biochemistry by Charteajea ( I was always among the top 3% in chemical pathology. This never failed)
Then for Pharmaology.
1) Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, by Bertram G. Katzung(depending on the time you have. Never used it. Only decorated my reading table)
2) BRS Pharmacology ( it's very concise. )
3) USMLE Pharmacology ( don't know where I would have been in Pharm but not for this book. My 2ND MB Exam in Pharm was epic. From the MCQs to the Essay to the Viva. This book played a pivot role)
Internal Medicine. You'll be doing postings in internal medicine as well.
1) R. Alagappan A Manual of Practical Medicine.( Everything you'll ever be asked in Ward Rounds will be in this book)
2) API Textbook of Medicine( I don't fancy Davidson and Kumar and Clark. This one serves me perfectly)
3) Oxford Handbook of Medicine (should always be in your pocket )
Surgery
1) Principles and Practice of Surgery in the Tropics - Badoe and Achampong
2) SRB's Manual of Surgery( you'll need this for exam)
3) SRB's Clinial Methods in Surgery(very necessary )
4) Norman Browse's Introduction to the Symptoms and Signs of Surgical Diseases
With all these, you are armed to conquer.

Thanks alot chief....emmmm....heard of something Mac loeid or so...what about it?...and also this text(see attachment)...what about it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 7:39am On Jul 16, 2014
ebsuguy:

Thanks alot chief....emmmm....heard of something Mac loeid or so...what about it?...and also this text(see attachment)...what about it?

Yeah

Hutchinson and Mccleoid. Good for physical examination.

I highlighted 2 books in my post

R Alagappan and SRB's Cinical Methods in Surgery. Those are the one I use in lieu of Hutchinson. I still have Hutchinson, nonetheless.(use it once in a while)

My colleagues use Hutchinson. Some Macleoid. You should get either of them. Anyone would do.

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomakx: 11:25am On Jul 16, 2014
ebsuguy:

I was banned by anti spambot. Dunoo why- seems like the mods are less proactive in this section, else my original moniker should have been up in no time after complaint.

Anyways, that's Hutchinson. You need it for Physical Examination and History Taking. Mcleods is equally good. You can get either of them.

You should have Hutchinson and Falase. I have the big and small Falase(pics below). Having Hutchinson and Maccleods isn't wise. Either of those ones and Falase.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) ... (906) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.