Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima (2163 Views)

At 227000 miles , i have some questions about my 2000 Camry / 2000 Nissan Pathfinder (Toks) Emitting Serious Heat, Pls Help! (Pic) SOLVED / 2005 Nissan Altima Vs 2005 Toyota Camry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by ghazzal: 2:13pm On Oct 17, 2012
my automatic 2000 nissan altima moves well on the highway (all gears ok), but when i branch off into a city, or high traffic area, it does not respond to accelerator again (does not rev.) hence works only on gear 1. if i switch off the engine and put it back on, it works perfect again for a while and the problem returns.

pls help!!!
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by ghazzal: 4:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
professionals in the house!!! pls help o
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by javijabor: 7:32pm On Oct 17, 2012
I tink u need to do idle relearn procedure. But let the professionals in the house give the possible reasons n solution.
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by nissparts(m): 8:25pm On Oct 17, 2012
Could be a speed sensor.
You'll need to run a diagnostic check.
Guessing faults is outdated
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by nissparts(m): 7:36am On Oct 18, 2012
^No such thing
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 18, 2012
ghazzal: my automatic 2000 nissan altima moves well on the highway (all gears ok), but when i branch off into a city, or high traffic area, it does not respond to accelerator again (does not rev.) hence works only on gear 1. if i switch off the engine and put it back on, it works perfect again for a while and the problem returns.

pls help!!!
Please clearly redefine the problem. i may be able to help to a very large extent. I have a nissan altima I have been using for the past 4 years. Same model as yours.
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by ghazzal: 5:36pm On Oct 18, 2012
nissparts: Could be a speed sensor.
You'll need to run a diagnostic check.
Guessing faults is outdated

Ok. I will work that out but will also be glad if you can pls suggest a reliable place for a check.
Thanks for the response
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by ghazzal: 6:01pm On Oct 18, 2012
chiebube: Please clearly redefine the problem. i may be able to help to a very large extent. I have a nissan altima I have been using for the past 4 years. Same model as yours.
Thanks chiebube.
The problem is that: if there is no traffic like on a highway, it moves fine till when it gets to a traffic area that irrespective of how much I use the accelerator, the rev meter pointer will not go beyond 1000r/min. This is relative to gear 1. So I can say the engine does not respond to the accelerator.
I have serviced the gear but no change in vehicle behaviour. I noticed that if I turn off the engine and turn it on again, irrespective of interval between off-on state the car works fine.
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by ghazzal: 6:03pm On Oct 18, 2012
chiebube: Please clearly redefine the problem. i may be able to help to a very large extent. I have a nissan altima I have been using for the past 4 years. Same model as yours.
Thanks chiebube.
The problem is that: if there is no traffic like on a highway, it moves fine till when it gets to a traffic area that irrespective of how much I use the accelerator, the rev meter pointer will not go beyond 1000r/min. This is relative to gear 1. So I can say the engine does not respond to the accelerator.
I have serviced the gear but no change in vehicle behaviour. I noticed that if I turn off the engine and turn it on again, irrespective of interval between off-on state the car works fine for a while before the engine stops responding to the accelerator again
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by nissparts(m): 12:03am On Oct 19, 2012
If you are free Saturday morning, bring it over to the workshop for a scan.
68 Iwaya road, onike, yaba.
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by javijabor: 11:44am On Oct 19, 2012
This same tin happened to my sentra. it just stops responding until u start the car again. a mech worked on the tierod(hope thats d name), its like its idle so i googled and found out i had to do the idle relearn procedure and it has been fine since then. its not like ul spend money doing it but give it a trial. Before u waste money taking it to a workshop. im not a mech or an expert its just similar to d issue i had with my car. undecided
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by nissparts(m): 2:38pm On Oct 19, 2012
Here's the idle relearn procedure

1. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 1 second.
2. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic “PRECONDITIONING”,
EC-83, are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Start the engine and let it idle for at least 30 seconds.
7. Disconnect throttle position sensor harness connector (brown),
then reconnect it within 5 seconds.
8. Wait 20 seconds.
9. Make sure that idle speed is within specifications. If not, the
result will be incomplete. In this case, find the cause of the
problem by referring to the NOTE below.
10. Rev up the engine two or three times. Make sure that idle
speed and ignition timing are within specifications

If you have the check engine light on, this will not work. I however doubt this is your issue though anything is possible.

2 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by ghazzal: 3:17pm On Oct 19, 2012
funny thing is- the check engine light is not on
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by sultaan(m): 12:39am On Oct 20, 2012
ghazzal: funny thing is- the check engine light is not on

Take several pic of the engine and post it.

We might find something missing
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by Nobody: 6:27am On Oct 20, 2012
Ghazzal, please were are u based? I would have loved to check ur car to ascertain the problem. It shows that ur car only moves on high speed and not on low speed. Am in abuja
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by Nobody: 6:27am On Oct 20, 2012
Ghazzal, please were are u based? I would have loved to check ur car to ascertain the problem. It shows that ur car only moves on high speed and not on low speed. Am in abuja
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by ghazzal: 3:59pm On Oct 22, 2012
chiebube: Ghazzal, please were are u based? I would have loved to check ur car to ascertain the problem. It shows that ur car only moves on high speed and not on low speed. Am in abuja

im in Lagos
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by ghazzal: 4:00pm On Oct 22, 2012
sultaan:

Take several pic of the engine and post it.

We might find something missing

Ok. i ll do that
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by nissparts(m): 8:08am On Oct 23, 2012
^You wont find anything with pictures.
Your car is going into limp mode.
I bet you there's a code stored even if your CEL is not on.
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by ASTdiagnostics: 2:11pm On Oct 23, 2012
hello poster it is obvious your car goes to safe mode known as limp mode when you have such experience, you will need to scan that vehicle even if your MIL is not ON. That happens in other to prevent further damage to your vehicle.

you are strongly advised to SCAN YOUR VEHICLE IMMEDIATELY>
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by ghazzal: 3:15pm On Oct 23, 2012
abeg o! what is safe mode again?

I got to a mechanic who said that since there is no check engine warning, scanning will not give any output "no fault".

The Mech. said it is a fuel-line problem. according to his advice, i changed the fuel pump and filter. I really hope this solves the problem though i drove it after then without a problem, im not convinced it was driven long enough.

@nisspart, kindly share your number as i really wanted to reach you on phone. Your Yaba workshop is far from my place but i think you have a warehouse around Allen?
Re: Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima by nissparts(m): 5:29pm On Oct 23, 2012
The opebi outlet is a parts store.
Number is 08022228273.
You can give me a call if the situation reoccurs

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor / Super Cars With Super Speed. / How To Remove A Snake From Your Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.