Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped (5801 Views)

Nigeria Vs Sudan: Afcon Qualifiers (3 - 1) On 15th October 2014 / Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso - AFCON 2013 Final (1 - 0) - On 10th February 2013 / 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by engrtee(f): 8:37am On Nov 27, 2012
LEVANTE of Spain striker Obafemi Martins may not be selected in the Super Eagles list for the African Cup of Nations next January. Close source to coach Stephen Keshi informed on Monday that the handler has completed his list of attackers, and Martins was not part of the list.

“Martins may not make it to AFCON next year. Keshi has completed his list of attackers for the Nations Cup,” the source told futaa.com on Monday.

Martins, however, has a slim chance of making the team if any of the listed attackers get injured.

“Keshi has placed him on standby, just incase anything happens to the listed players,” the source added.

Martin was among the players paraded in Miami USA in an international friendly against Venezuela on November 14. His performance was reportedly not convincing for Keshi, and that may have led to the latest development.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/sports/afcon-2013-shocker-keshi-drops-martins/
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by Mpeace(m): 10:53am On Nov 27, 2012
Abeg help me ask that ur source whether my name dey d list. I dey anxious. No work to do.

3 Likes

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by godys(m): 10:55am On Nov 27, 2012
Seconded.
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by UnknownMember: 10:55am On Nov 27, 2012
.okay

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by aminho(m): 10:57am On Nov 27, 2012
hmm my grandmama to is on standby incase the midfild players got injured
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by Teejayphillip(m): 10:58am On Nov 27, 2012
Nawah oo... Zo martins form don drop finally? Bur he plays well 4 his club now... Evryone get em time,zo alwayz utilize ur chances
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by Eifeh(m): 11:07am On Nov 27, 2012
Not suprise, Ideye is the man to do the job.
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by Dolakinz(m): 11:09am On Nov 27, 2012
Y is dis coach doing lyk an amateur. For Gods sake,he has coach 2 oda african teams. Didnt he know dat he needs strikers dat av xperience in african football. Players dat can compete wit both d physical and ruggedness of african teams lyk zambia, benin, angola, e.t.c. Players lyk Martins are known to always help naija in difficult african matches. Not all d strikers dat he is depending on can perform in AFCON. We nid Martins

3 Likes

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by Ejovwoke(m): 11:09am On Nov 27, 2012
We need him cos of experience oh
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by treasureboy09(m): 11:14am On Nov 27, 2012
Yeah we actually need him but they haven't shown their worth in recent times.
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by boron10(m): 11:16am On Nov 27, 2012
How is it my business Whatever decision would enhance our chances of lifting the cup is welcomed. Keshi do your job jare

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by femmy2010(m): 11:27am On Nov 27, 2012
Any good coach knows that he/she can't write off a striker when the championship is still more than a month away.
His hitherto best strikers could loose form and his "not selectable ones" could peak.
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by Mcleo007(m): 11:29am On Nov 27, 2012
Dolakinz: Y is dis coach doing lyk an amateur. For Gods sake,he has coach 2 oda african teams. Didnt he know dat he needs strikers dat av xperience in african football. Players dat can compete wit both d physical and ruggedness of african teams lyk zambia, benin, angola, e.t.c. Players lyk Martins are known to always help naija in difficult african matches. Not all d strikers dat he is depending on can perform in AFCON. We nid Martins

Word! A typical example is the WC qualifiers of 2010 away at Uganda. Martins despite picking up a knock, still grabbed a brace for Nigeria which all but secured qualifications. I'd be damned to see the likes of Brown Ideye and Emenike make the list ahead of Obagoal! His form for club is terrific plus he provides a different approach to the team play. He's a direct and rugged player that is never to trace on goal.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by figment232(m): 11:40am On Nov 27, 2012
ebe like say MARTINS neva settle
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by femi4: 11:44am On Nov 27, 2012
Mcleo007:

Word! A typical example is the WC qualifiers of 2010 away at Uganda. Martins despite picking up a knock, still grabbed a brace for Nigeria which all but secured qualifications. I'd be damned to see the likes of Brown Ideye and Emenike make the list ahead of Obagoal! His form for club is terrific plus he provides a different approach to the team play. He's a direct and rugged player that is never to trace on goal.
You are as good as your last game. Current form matters(as regards national team).....
If it should be based on past input in the National team, then the likes of
Utaka and Yakubu should make the team

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by yuzedo: 11:46am On Nov 27, 2012
Obafemi Martins can sit his arzzzz down in whatever-the-f(u)ck obscure club he plays for. angry He passed his prime 10yrs ago when he clocked 40! Nigga must be pushing like 50yrs now.. undecided

When you can name four strikers off the top of your head that'd do a better job for Nigeria at AFCON, you know its time to retire yourself and not wait to get booted out. You cannot fight for match bonuses and allowances in dollars forever. You have never even been a Kanu or Jay-Jay or Yekini that somebody can say you are indispensable....

Abeg, Kalu Uche, better person, ha fa? How many goals you dey promise us for this AFCON? cool Victor Moses, Osaze The Boy, we dey look una, osheeeeee! wink

P.S. Experience? The original super-eagles that Westerhof reared, weren't they amateurs before? No be one day dem go their first Nation's Cup et World Cup come dazzle? By 1996, they were bonafide bad guys. Infact, they were all locals, and it was Clemens the great that hooked them up to international clubs (for a good cut, sorta like an agent). If we need to build a team in the long term, then by all means take these young turks out and expose them to international competition. The old guards have had their chances which they squandered magnificently!

3 Likes

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by honeric01(m): 11:51am On Nov 27, 2012
Dolakinz: Y is dis coach doing lyk an amateur. For Gods sake,he has coach 2 oda african teams. Didnt he know dat he needs strikers dat av xperience in african football. Players dat can compete wit both d physical and ruggedness of african teams lyk zambia, benin, angola, e.t.c. Players lyk Martins are known to always help naija in difficult african matches. Not all d strikers dat he is depending on can perform in AFCON. We nid Martins

Wetin dey worry una self? i thought you guys want to build a team? don't we have strong strikers already? BTW, which one be experience? are the rest playing isoda football ni?

The Zambian team that won the nations cup, how many "experience" did they need to win the nations cup?

Always ready to criticize even when there's no room for criticism. angry

2 Likes

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by Dolakinz(m): 11:55am On Nov 27, 2012
femi4: You are as good as your last game. Current form matters(as regards national team).....
If it should be based on past input in the National team, then the likes of
Utaka and Yakubu should make the team
Well, martins is aving a nice season currently. He is helping his team to stay in d first ten in la liga. His goals dis season were winning goals. Wen u talk abt his past form, he had bin battling wit injury in d past years, So dont compare him wit yakubu or utaka who has bin playing all dis while.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by Rooneyboy(m): 12:09pm On Nov 27, 2012
chei ! Martins my boi.
Its a pity bro.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by UnknownMember: 12:10pm On Nov 27, 2012
^^^^^^lol
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by Azeebi(m): 12:13pm On Nov 27, 2012
I don't care if Keshi parade 100% home based. It takes courage to dam consequences in other to move to the next courageous level.
Martins, Osaze, Yakubu, or any other posible mafia is not needed now.
Osaze can score 100 goal that does not cancel his previous indiscipline play against Ghana in 2008, when he had Shitu to past ball to in other to finish- and refused. He repeated this twice under Shuaibu and Siasia in high standard costly games. Siasia tried that in April 1993 and lost his position under Westerhof. Osaze had done that many times in addition to his disrespects for coaches and he cannot be discipline.
Led others do the job while the watch, win or loose we will have to design the boundaries and rule of engagement.
Football discipline is our problem, that is why we have forgotten purposive and non-flashy players and coaches like Oliseh and Ahmodu in preference for purposeless flashy ones like the Okochas and the Siasias.
Nigeria is a problem......
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by ajila03(m): 12:22pm On Nov 27, 2012
I think that is a good thing to happen to Martins this would allow him cement his place at his new club.
Continue scoring more goals and this will allow him get automatic shirt for the world cup afterall he has been to AFCON before.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by myners007: 12:22pm On Nov 27, 2012
ALL DIS YORUBA BIGOTS , PLS STOP TALKING GIBBERISH ABT MARTINS ALLEGED EXCLUSION. HE DOSEN'T DESERVE A PLACE IN D TEAM.
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by shyna501: 12:47pm On Nov 27, 2012
myners007 :
ALL DIS YORUBA BIGOTS , PLS STOP TALKING GIBBERISH ABT MARTINS ALLEGED EXCLUSION. HE DOSEN'T DESERVE A PLACE IN D TEAM.

Den who does??...

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by salolo(m): 1:01pm On Nov 27, 2012
That will next time. he should work hard.
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by chochoman: 1:40pm On Nov 27, 2012
honeric01:

Wetin dey worry una self? i thought you guys want to build a team? don't we have strong strikers already? BTW, which one be experience? are the rest playing isoda football ni?

The Zambian team that won the nations cup, how many "experience" did they need to win the nations cup?

Always ready to criticize even when there's no room for criticism. angry
Point of correction,the core of the Zambian team you mentioned was made up of the team that got dumped out of the previous competition in the hands of the super eagles two years earlier,that is experience.Obagoal is a proven striker who still has it in him.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by floriana(m): 1:51pm On Nov 27, 2012
Where are Pius Ikedia and Chris Ohenhen? We actually need these guys for AFCON now.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by Syenite(m): 2:23pm On Nov 27, 2012
In a team that has Ike Uche, Brown Ideye, Osaze Odemwengie, Emmanuel Emenike, Martins is surplus requirement.Ike Uche is still my top striker for now.
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by ortopazz(m): 2:41pm On Nov 27, 2012
I was always afraid of Martins position in the Eagles squad, letz face it, his battles with injuries and club transfer saga has not been helpful in any way. Am a proud fan of OBAGOAL for obvious reasons he his more prolific than all our present crop of strikers, though Uche is scoring goals, he cannot carry his team, Martins pace has and still changes the pace of any team he plays for and this is Vital. I wish he his picked because if we play a 4-4-2 with him pairing with Musa Or Moses or 4-3-3 best believe goals will rain!
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 27, 2012
Martins is more dangerous and instils more fears in opponents than Emenike, although Emenike has a more Yekini-esque physique. I think Emenike should be the one to be dropped, not Martins. Emenike at least will still around in 2015. This may be Martins' last competition for Nigeria.
Re: AFCON 2013: Martins May Be Dropped by Rutherford23(m): 3:01pm On Nov 27, 2012
I always know he won't make it... Buh their might be a miracle of him going.. He just need to focus and work harder... Buh super eagles are not AFCON contender...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Mbappe Is Said To Be Brazil's Goalkeeper Dida's Son Asides Facial Look Alike / Illuminati Cartoon From 2017 Predicted Kobe's Death / How Come Kylian Mbappe Has A Nigerian Brother?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.