Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,101 members, 7,953,351 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:53 PM

8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional (12088 Views)

Eight (8) Ways To Achieve Success In Your Career / Structure Of A Good Cv: How To Tweak Your Résumé To Suite Recruiters Taste. / Words That You Shouldn't Put In Your Résumé (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by profval: 2:24pm On Dec 12, 2012
tanks for the advice but dont really no hw to start looking for the job pls need help
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by ojotule4: 2:30pm On Dec 12, 2012
Hadeyur: Thank you 4 d tips wink
very Good to hear about this.
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by GEJPFOOD: 2:32pm On Dec 12, 2012
@ Jobberman Thank u very much for these educative post. Please i really need your help urgently. Please contact me these my email ivanmihela83@yahoo.com or Please can u give me the email i will use to contact you? Thanks
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by obi123: 2:55pm On Dec 12, 2012
NAME
Tel Number, home add ,Email, Linkedin link

Profile summary
An adaptable qualified ..... professional with over .... year’s demonstrable experience of successfully ..... Track record of ......
An excellent team player, with a proactive approach to learning new skills, possesses an analytical and methodical approach to achieving tasks and objectives, strong attention to detail and great flexibility with regards to task given; keen to further develop ...... while pursuing a career within a........... environment.

KEY SKILLS
list your skills here for example
proj mgt
Communication skills
Problem solving
Team Player
Systems knowledge- oracle, Ms office 2010, sage,people soft etc
reporting skills
Budgeting
Bid writing
Language skills
Negotiating skills
Creative writing
Analytical skills
Organizational skills
Marketing and sales skills
Conflict resolution

PLEASE TRY AND GIVE SIMPLE EXAMPLES OF HOW YOU HAVE USED THEM, BE CONCISE AT LEAST 2 LINES PER SKILL, DON'T JUST LIST

EDUCATION
Name of uni , year , course studied, result
for e.g
university of Ibadan 2008 Mass comm , second class upper(2:1)

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

Start date - end date Job Title , Name of company

2 lines about what the company does for e.g

13 Jan 2012 - 13 feb 2013 Project Analyst ExxonMobil

Exxon Mobil is a ............

Key achievements, start listing your past experience(NOT JOB DESCRIPTION!!) at least 4 bullet points for each job

for e.g
•Improved overall delivery of all projects by implementing a system of monitoring outputs which resulted in saving valuable time and resources

start with words like

• Successfully
• Effectively
• Implemented
• Improved
• Key member of

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by obi123: 3:02pm On Dec 12, 2012
jt2010:

, you post is spot on except this Very Lengthy Resume.. For an engineering in an oil and gas industry, a resume of 2 pages shows u lack quality experience because you are expected to list in your resume all projects and activities you have done during the course of your job.

a lengthy resume is only accepted when you are at the top of your career , which is why your CV should be interesting enough to get an invitation to talk more about your CV and elaborate further ,certain things on your CV , it is also a skill to be able to write concisely , short and straight to the point while capturing only crucial information
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 12, 2012
Santino1:

This is definitely inapplicable to resumes targeting the Swiss market. As a matter of fact, it is a requirement

I agree. I have been advised by professional recruiters to put a picture on my CV. But it has to be a professional picture, and not a fancy one, of course!

What is very important not to forget is contact information. And you objective should be the first thing the recruiter sees (it should be like a sentence or two that sells you the best)
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by lovejo(m): 5:14pm On Dec 12, 2012
Santino1:

This is definitely inapplicable to resumes targeting the Swiss market. As a matter of fact, it is a requirement

Only in Nigeria picture is not a requirement, in many part of the world your resume is incomplete without a passport photograph. So i think the best option is to consider the culture and norm of the employer before deciding id passport photograph is necessary or not.
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by onnairaland(f): 5:39pm On Dec 12, 2012
Dermie: Nyc 1.

New York City grin
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by gabmid(f): 7:08pm On Dec 12, 2012
Those anyone know d UAE cv format?
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by ignis: 8:00pm On Dec 12, 2012
The world is for survival of the fittest. One has to add extra effort in everything he is doing.
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by 2legit2qwt: 5:56am On Dec 13, 2012
lovejo:

Only in Nigeria picture is not a requirement, in many part of the world your resume is incomplete without a passport photograph. So i think the best option is to consider the culture and norm of the employer before deciding id passport photograph is necessary or not.
This ain't true as far as America goes, you run the risk of a subtle discrimination if your picture is included in your resume. By including your picture, you're unknowingly answering some questions employers want to know but can't ask due to its illegality.

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by 2legit2qwt: 6:01am On Dec 13, 2012
Also, prepare your resume to target specific employers. Don't use the same resume for different types of jobs, use keywords to tailor your resume in such a way that it matches the job you're applying for.
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by ibehenryrocket(m): 11:35am On Dec 13, 2012
Minor achievements like primary school education is a No No. Makes u look like a baby
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by Nnabugwu8590: 5:59pm On Dec 13, 2012
Dalu uzor: thank u so much for d free info, but pls, hw do i title my resume (CV)?
job objective:,experience: you must put date to each of ur experience, skills:, personal profile:, educational institutional attended wit dates:,educational certificates obtained wit dates:,professional certificates obtained wit dates:,professional affiliations:, research work:, computer knowledge:,personal data:,hobbies:, names of referees with their numbers,works and locations. All the titles must b in a bold capital letters. For ur cv 2 accomodate all these titles ,u must self train urself, devote ur time, spend ur money and energy. Finally pray 2 God. Sooner than later u will see urself on d top of that ur dream job. Load urself urself wit good skills so that you wil b a hot cake employee to b employed by d prospective employers
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by DorcasKaruana: 1:01pm On Dec 14, 2012
To add on the list
9. Listing your mother tongue in the Languages spoken section
Spare this to yourself. Unless the advert ask you to list the languages you can speak, do not include it on your CV.

10. Format- Having tables with columns on the CV
These are simply not attractive and make the hiring manager struggle to read your work or connect sentences. A continuous prose is better to read through.

www.careerpointkenya.com
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by Mustay(m): 9:49pm On Dec 16, 2012
2legit2qwt:
By including your picture, you're unknowingly answering some questions employers want to know but can't ask due to its illegality.

I like the way you put this!
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by Mustay(m): 9:52pm On Dec 16, 2012
Dorcas Karuana:

10. Format- Having tables with columns on the CV
These are simply not attractive and make the hiring manager struggle to read your work or connect sentences. A continuous prose is better to read through.

Depends on your organisation. I actually have one with 'invisible' tables. It's all up to the way you use the editor to make it presentable.
Re: 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional by Goodheart4All: 9:25pm On Dec 18, 2012
Have you attended several interviews without an employment offer coming out of your effort? Do you then ask yourself, what went wrong? Get the answers and solutions to this problem in this E-Book "Becoming the person employers are looking for". This E-Book cost N2,500 only and you will also get the following additional benefits for free when you make a purchase;
1. Assistance in making your CV look professional, attractive and outstanding.
2. Assistance in sending out your CV to companies with vacancies that suits you.
3. Assistance on how to put in your best in an interview.

Please be rest assured that this package is brought to you by the "Goodheart Initiative" which is a non profit initiative and does not indulge nor intend to indulge in any scam activities.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kiki Mordi Nominated For Future Awards For Journalism / Sam Altman To Return As OpenAI CEO / 5 Ways To Maintain A Work-life Balance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.