Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings (1823 Views)

"Nigeria Has At Least 115 Billionaires In Dollars" - Former US Ambassador / Iowa Woman, 115, Becomes The World's Oldest Living Person / World's Oldest Person Dies In Los Angeles At 115 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings by ababoy1(m): 7:23pm On Apr 21, 2006
Re: Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings by pascal(m): 5:44pm On Apr 24, 2006
April 21, 2006 the Punch Newspaper reported the IT rating of about 115 countries in the world and Nigeria occurred the 90th position and 13th in Africa.

Where do we go from here, oluwaseun osewa and other?

What is NCC doing, can will ever meet up in the world of IT.

Look guys I cant understand this.

What can we do about this?
Re: Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings by my2cents(m): 6:07pm On Apr 24, 2006
pascal (et al),

In my opinion, there is nothing we, as individual citizens can do. I tell you what though - the government has a big time part to play. From providing basic infrastructure, to security, to providing funds for training, etc. Only then will companies (and even those of us in the diaspora) be encouraged to come there to do biz.

It is only then that our ranking will increase to maybe even #1 in Africa.

That's my 2 cents
Re: Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings by Hunter(m): 11:25am On Apr 25, 2006
stable electricity would be the first thing they need to solve.
Re: Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings by Bossman(m): 5:02pm On Apr 25, 2006
Absolutely Hunter! The basic infrastructure first needs to exist. If you look at the African countries that are above us, they all have the basic infrastructure in place. Even Ghana's electricity is more stable than Nigeria's. The talent pool is there in Nigeria, but without the help of the government getting involved with training, funding, etc., we will always be near the bottom looking up.
Re: Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings by aderaskeey(m): 2:19am On Apr 26, 2006
The paradox of the Sleeping Giant!

It bleeds my heart whenever the subject of the arrested opportunities of Nigeria is being dicussed.

We were all amused and had our fun, so to speak, when the "Dribbler" emerged on the scene of governance about two decades ago. The then ecstatic and hoodwinked audience was full of Hurrahh for the Maradona then. Today we pay the price with stunted growth and tragic-comedians in the saddle of governmental affairs.

My prayer however is that: may the Sleeping Giant not sleep the sleep of death when destiny is beckoning her to become a Marching and Flying Giant.
Re: Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings by kimba(m): 2:46pm On Apr 28, 2006
With or without I.T, too much of brains and knowledge can become a problem.

Its like this: in a class of students, there is always the most-intelligent-student and the least-intelligent-student.

The least-intelligent-student, who doesnt have "it" naturally upstairs can excell through dedication and hardwork. He might later become one-of-the-intelligent-students.

The most-intelligent-student who has "it" upstairs naturally, but who feels he knows it all might end up in the trash can. He soon finds he cant organize his thoughts and actions into something meaningful anymore, this is the problem of Nigeria.

We have everything in abundance, and its becoming a problem to us now,
- too much of geographical power, its people love to fight, we are even thinking of dividing the land
- too much of natural resources, each one wants his own share of the national cake,
- too much of ingenuity and brainpower, Nigeria is first on the list of ehtnic groups whose citizens, on an average have an extra university degree beside their first degree in Europe and America, yet, we have resolved to yahoo and 419.
- no natural disasters like volcanoes, hurricanes to destroy our buildings and kill people, so nigerian people have become natural disasters. Thats why most of us, in a save-my-neck motive, like to travel abroad with that other passport and even return to Nigeria with that other passport other than the green.
- too much of oil resource, we would rather destroy the pipes, let them waste, or rather set fire on them and let them burn.

can i continue?  i believe you get the picture

Nigeria is like an over-fed child who is now vomitting, messing itself up and becoming a nuisance.
Re: Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings by Blue2(m): 10:27am On Apr 29, 2006
I am not surprised that we rank so low in IT, when we have leaders who don’t realise that importance of IT. Until they get in their thick skull that “human resources” not “natural resources” is what is needed to bring us out of this cesspool of underdevelopment and poverty, Nigeria will continue to languish at the bottom of the pot
Re: Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings by shockreaction(m): 10:32am On Apr 29, 2006
Is this meant to be surprising?
Re: Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings by dapo2: 11:38am On May 03, 2006
shocked angryMy fellow Nigerians pls don't be disourage about our rating in IT. Nigeria have problems yes cry but we are moving and we sees to be a treat jealously to many countries all over the wold. Do I need to mention alot of achievements in human an resourse concerning IT in Nigeria? Common, dont mind them lipsrsealed. Nigerian at home and abroad thats the not the true picture. No where is a pradise on earth. Please keep it up. cool
Re: Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings by soti(m): 10:16am On Aug 14, 2006
well well, we used to be ranked last or were not even on the rankings some few years back (pre gsm era), so cheer up guys we are indeed moving up. With the provision of the basic infrastructures to back the existing, we will be among the first ten countries.We got the brains, dont forget that. wink[/color][color=#990000][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]
Re: Nigeria Places 90th Of 115 Countries In It Ratings by aderaskeey(m): 1:50pm On Aug 21, 2006
@soti, when would that infrastructure be provided. The operators and investors of the GSM that you talk so proudly of would painfully tell you that they run their services 90% on diesel generating plants. Not on NEPA or PHCN.

The few symbols of confidence for foreign investment (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Peace, etc.) are either being pulled down by humiliating resignation from government, mysterious and unravelled gubernatorial murders.

The theatrical figures in leadership have turn Nigeria into a big theater. When they were giving Mike Adenuga the Telecom SNO, GSM License and oil blocks as an expression of will for infrastructural development, they never told us that they would hound him to Ghana and London like a refugee.

Don't be amazed, if tomorrow, they begin to hound Jim Ovia, Aliko Dangote and Femi Otedola, Okereke Onyiuke (if it happens to Okonjo-Iweala, it can happen to anybody too) on flimsy political affiliation reasons.

The question is, when will the comical leadership wake up and stop toying with the developmental destiny of our dear country.

(1) (Reply)

Comprehensive List Of Master Bakers In Nigeria Needed, Pls Help / Tw Magazine Ticket Giveaway! / Confessions Of A Moderator.....power Hungry Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.